Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
EditedEdited by Joe Potato
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this fish (scientific name Characidium fasciatum)?

I'm planning my empty 38 gallon as a rainbowfish tank -- probably either threadfins or Pseudomugil signifer -- and I was looking for something a bit different as a bottom fish. The plan for the tank is a lot of driftwood and rockwork, with tall plants around the perimeter plus some clumps throughout the tank and smaller foreground plants just about everywhere, like maybe some smaller anubias or something. There will be lots of open space to accommodate the rainbows, and I've heard that these guys like it too.
Post InfoPosted 22-Dec-2007 21:55Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
Ive never owned one or seen one before, but all i know is that they should be in groups of 5+ or only one as i heard they are agressive to each other if not kept in groups, kind of like the other tetras. You probably know this though........

Good luck, and keep us posted. Also, maybe, if you could, have some pix to show us!

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 23-Dec-2007 00:40Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
BruceMoomaw
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 490
Votes: 0
male usa
I've just gotten one for the library tank that I maintain. He's only the second I've ever had: a tiny little guy who shows no aggressiveness to any other fish. I had trouble getting him home safey, though, because he kept fainting -- he'd show every sign of going unconscius from shock when he was netted, put into the bag, and again when he was poured out of the bag. I fully expected him to die, but at the moment he seems to be doing well. This suggests that -- like Rummy-Noses -- they may be highly susceptible to shock and should be carefully handled during transit.

They used to be moderately common in the stores around here, but this is the first I've seen in a long time. They're rather charming; they look exactly like miniature Mudskippers and hop around on the bottom in the same way.
Post InfoPosted 23-Dec-2007 02:33Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Cup_of_Lifenoodles
---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 1957
Votes: 30
male usa
I'm more familiar with another charachin that goes by a similar name: Poecilocharax weitzmani. They are quite active and peaceable, and I'd recommend them for your tank setup in a heartbeat.
Post InfoPosted 04-Jan-2008 03:42Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Cup_of_Lifenoodles
---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 1957
Votes: 30
male usa
*characin
Post InfoPosted 04-Jan-2008 03:42Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
Aren't Poecilocharax weitzmani exclusively live food eaters?

Only last time I made enquiries about this species here on the board, I was told they were a species to avoid unless I could keep them supplied with round the clock live foods.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2008 08:47Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LaurenJ
Small Fry
Kudos: 6
female usa us-newyork
I have a hummingbird darter and it doesn't eat any different than my other fish.

It certainly acts different, I've never seen a fish hover before, it's really cool. It also seems to love to swim with my 4 gold barbs.

The only time I saw "aggression" was when my guppy had babies.
Post InfoPosted 29-Jan-2012 19:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies