# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# The Hospital
  L# 54 Liter. 30-40 Cherry Shrimp. 10 Neons die enmass rapidly
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe54 Liter. 30-40 Cherry Shrimp. 10 Neons die enmass rapidly
jobby75

Small Fry
54 Liter. Cherry Shrimp. 10 Dead Neons...
Kudos: 1
Votes: 0
male switzerland
HAd the Neons for two weeks. in a 36 hour peiod 7 die and are presumably eaten. 3 struggle on, eventually succumb.
Probable NTD. Should I start tank again? Or is there a work around. First tank and not too chuffed at the thought of starting again...

PLease Help.....
Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2011 13:05Profile PM Edit Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
Hello, how long had your tank been set up for? If it was within its first 6 weeks then your fish probably succumbed to the extremes of the tank cycling. Being that I dont know what knowledge you have I am posting a link for you to read over so you can see what a new tank goes through.

http://fishprofiles.com/faq/begin-cycling.php

If by chance your tank was still cycling then I would say they most definately died due to ammonia or nitrite poisoning. Neons arent a good fish for a newly set up tank.
Having said that, they are also a very delicate fish and can up and die for no apparent reason in my experience. If you want to pursue having neons in the future you may want to try a differnt shop, or look at cardinal tetras that look almost the same and are a bit hardier. But that is down the track when your tank is stable.

If you tank is not as new that it would be cycling can you check the water quality? Ammonia and nitrite should be 0 readings. Nitrate below 20. If you dont have testkits to check these then take a sample jar of tank water to your lfs and ask them to check it. Make sure they give you what the number results are. Sometimes they think trace amounts of ammonia/nitrite are acceptable, but really they arent.

I wouldnt put anymore fish in to the tank until you get the water checked.
Sorry you lost your fish, we know the fustration!

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2011 22:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies