L# The Hospital
  L# Cooper based meds
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCooper based meds
Goldie12
Small Fry
Kudos: 4
Votes: 0
Hello all, so this morning I noticed some white stuff on my goldfishes back tail, but I'm unsure if its ich or velvet its hard to tell. My set up is an indoor 40 gallon tub pond with a temperature of 70 degrees, Ammonia has been between .50-1 ppm for 15 days, nitrite almost .25 and nitrates are rising everyday 10 ppm (tap has 5ppm). I have tried using seeded media from my healthy 55gallon tropical but it has not helped. My question is weather or not a copper based medicine will interrupt the nitrogen cycle. Thanks in advance.
Post InfoPosted 15-Feb-2015 02:21Profile PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
Yes, the copper used in the treatment for "Ich" may affect the bacteria in the Nitrogen cycle. Be sure to stay within the dosage limits for the size of the tank (tub). Don't over medicate, and continue to monitor the Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate levels.

I believe their use of the word "May" comes as a precaution to be sure and follow the dosage recomendations that come with the medication. If you do, then you and the tub should be fine.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=16+2154&aid=2657

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 16-Feb-2015 06:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies