Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCyst on Emperor tail (repost)
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
Okay a few weeks ago, I had this huge problem with my 40gal tall. A bacterial infection and ich killed off all of the new fish (plecs and emperor tetras), with the exception of 2 emperor tetras and my existing adult male angel. I slowly added salt over the course of 3 days, and medicated the tank with tetracycline. I have seen a marked improvement in the surviviors' behaviors. Now, I have noticed a knobby cyst on the tail of one of the emperor tetras, which now has constricted tail fin, and a partially missing dorsal to boot. I don't want to re-med the tank with tetracycline. Is there something gentler that I can use? (My hubby says to just do away with him, flush him before it possibly infects the tank.) I don't think it's fair after surviving such a bad fate, to still be done in.

I'm re-posting here in hopes of a response, the original post is in "TETRA TALK".

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 16-Dec-2009 00:27Profile PM Edit Report 
lowlight
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 94
male usa us-california
I wouldn't want to add any meds without knowing what the Emperor has. Some pics and water parameters would help and I am sure someone on FP will know what to do. Sorry to here about your losses. Best of luck.
Post InfoPosted 16-Dec-2009 07:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
Ph is 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5

Can't get a good pic.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 17-Dec-2009 02:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
hca
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 434
Votes: 211
female usa us-illinois
I looked thre the diseases, only thing I can think of, without a pic, is possibly a cauliflower cyst??? Have you looked at diseases to seee if you can id?
Post InfoPosted 17-Dec-2009 03:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
EditedEdited 18-Dec-2009 05:19
Yes, I checked, but the only thing I can see is dropsy, and a possible microbacterial infection. Since I just medicated the whole tank a month ago with some VERY strong antibacterial meds, I was hoping not to have to re-treat with the same meds. If it is a microbacterial infection, it appears to be resistant to the medications I've already tried.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 18-Dec-2009 05:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
If you think it is bacterial, maybe try a topical application. I've found mercurachrome to work OK on severe finrot, I've not tried it on a cyst-like thing.

I'd be inclined to suggest it is not bacterial, but it is hard to say without lab tests. Where in the tail is it?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 18-Dec-2009 05:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
Well, lab work is out. I doubt I could find one, and I strongly doubt I could afford it. The cyst is just before the tail fin. It's not just on one side. It encompasses the tail but stops just before the tail fin.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 18-Dec-2009 14:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
Okay, this is weird. The cyst has gone away, and is replaced with ... well, the area the cyst was in is dark almost blackish gray. The tail is completely clinched, and there is a red line running along the underbelly, the length of the anal fin.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 22-Dec-2009 00:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Has it fallen out? Does the area look like an ulcer or hole?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 22-Dec-2009 01:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
No, just the tail end is darkly colored.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 22-Dec-2009 02:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
Poor guy didn't make it. Found him stuck to the intake. I went to take him out and he swam a bit.(if you could call it that) He purposely made is way to a tangle of floating plant roots, and wedged himself in. Whenever he came loose, he'd wiggle himself back over, after flopping about the tank. After the whole day of this, I decided to take him out of his misery.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 31-Dec-2009 01:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lowlight
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 94
male usa us-california
Sorry to here about your fish.
Post InfoPosted 31-Dec-2009 08:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies