SubscribeFish Got A Virus
mews
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 33
Votes: 1
male australia
Possible Lymphocystis

Back around 2/2/08 I introduced some red phantoms to my tank. around the 11th I thought I had an outbreak of ich although I only ever noticed one single spot and never the expected multiple dots. My kuhli's died off one by one over the next month only two reamin. Then I lost a Lemon tetra for no known reason.
I then noticed a small pin head greyish white spot on my angels pec fin.hmm things were getting serious. At about the same time I noticed a whiteish spot on the mouth of one of the red phantoms.

I dosed with waterlife's Myxazin last week.

today I noticed two of the phantoms have a very strange "growth" around the body at the the thin section where the body meets the tail. These fish are a tad hard to get to stay still!! and be seen at the best of times so observation is not easy. Its quite possible they have had it all the time. I was only observing these two because for some strange reason they are the only two with black fins. the growth was a little hard to pickup at first as I was looking for the lighter grey of the other spotted spots.

The growths are grey (much darker greyer than the angel or mouth) and obviously much bigger. Its hard to see side on to the fish but when you look nose on or better, tail on, its very obvious something is growing around the tail base.
After reading, and to be honest I think with a slightly open mind one could pretty much match a number of diseases with these symptoms. But Lymphocystis seems to score more hits. I dont like my chances of getting a (live) photo but Ill give it a go on the w/e.

My 5footer
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2379/2242540621_1a81dcb3c8.jpg
Post InfoPosted 06-Mar-2008 03:39Profile PM Edit Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
Could you give us some water test results just to rule out water issues? pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 09-Mar-2008 23:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
Sounds almost like bloodfluke, perhaps a stage of metacarcariae called Clonorchis sinensis. The lumps and the death pattern fit the mold of an intermediary host like snails etc, infecting loaches, and then spreading. Cystic skin growths would be a common feature. Might be worth considering a course of praziquantel.
Post InfoPosted 10-Mar-2008 05:21Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mews
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 33
Votes: 1
male australia
EditedEdited by mews
Sorry i have been away for a week.

No real change Im afraid.
One of the black phantoms is now sporting a small spot on its fin, like the Angel has. The Angel's spot has not changed. Could be separate things.

Growth rate of the fish looks fine. ie they are not dwindling away to nothing. Compared to the reds they are growing as expected. The tank looks otherwise healthy. I have had no further loss, remaining kuhlis are fine.

Water conditions are fine and checked 1-2 times a week.
Amonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20, KH3,GH9,PH 7.2 (these do not change much week in week out)
a 120L water change is conducted once a week.

I have never had snails in this tank. Any loose snail that may have come in with a plant would have been devoured by the clowns a long time ago. Ill keep it in mind tho. Ill also read up on the other possibilities you mentioned.

Meds:I ran the course of Myxazin and gave it 3 days break then started a course of Protozin sunday.

Now that Im back, Ill try and get some decent photos asap.
I did think that maybe on one of the blacks that the tail growth was diminishing but it might be wishful thinking.

My 5footer
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2379/2242540621_1a81dcb3c8.jpg
Post InfoPosted 17-Mar-2008 02:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies