Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeGuppies & Cod
Stvmeister
Small Fry
Ahoy Ther
Kudos: 8
Votes: 0
male australia au-newsouthwales
I have two questions regarding seperate fish in seperate tanks.

Firstly I have a 400L tank with balloon mollys, guppys, platys, phantoms, headstanders, and gold suckers. Recently had 3 of 4 balloon mollys and 1 sucker die randomly for no reason and was warned that guppys are apparently carriers for many bad bacteria and they will wipe everything else out. Is this true or is the answer something else?

Also I have a sleepy cod, roughly 7 inches long in an 8ftx2ftx2ft tank with some other fish. I recently saw what I thought to be white spot appearing on his fins. After treating white spot and finding that there was no change I was concerned. Had a closer look and saw that the white spots seemed to be a large growth of some sort, tried to rub it off but it is stuck there like glue. Have been told it could be some kind of parasite leeching off him but am rather lost. No other fish have any signs of anything. Unfortunately I cannot provide photos at this point but will try.

Cheers,
Stv
Post InfoPosted 18-Oct-2009 13:46Profile PM Edit Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
Could you give us some water test results? Best to start at water quality and go from there.
Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 19-Oct-2009 02:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Stvmeister
Small Fry
Ahoy Ther
Nitrite and nitrate were up in the guppy tank, however it was only for one day, then it went back to normal, and it was after I had the deaths. Previously to death water was A+

Water was A+ in cod tank however have been away from home and not had a chance to test since, have asked the carer but not heard back yet. Will update with results asap.

Cheers,
Stv
Post InfoPosted 19-Oct-2009 03:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
The fish that died, what did they look like beforehand? Any odd behaviors? Redness on the body? Anything out of the norm?

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 19-Oct-2009 05:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Stvmeister
Small Fry
Ahoy Ther
There was no oddness or visible damage at all, which is why I was so surprised. Was then told that apparently guppys carry bad bacteria which they can handle but infects and kills most other fish. I haven't found any other evidence of such bacteria so am a bit confused. I was hoping someone on here may be able to shed some light on the situation.
Post InfoPosted 19-Oct-2009 13:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Well I havent heard this guppy tale before. I would be looking for something else.
How long were the fish in the tank before they died? Maybe they were a bad batch?

Post InfoPosted 20-Oct-2009 01:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Stvmeister
Small Fry
Ahoy Ther
Had been living together happily for about 2-3 weeks. Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Stv
Post InfoPosted 20-Oct-2009 12:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies