L# HELP!!! Going crazy!
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHELP!!! Going crazy!
Bama88
Small Fry
Kudos: 11
Votes: 0
male usa us-florida
I have 3 tanks in my house. All freshwater, a 10 gallon, a 36 gallon, and a 55 gallon. For about the past 2 months I have been losing fish. All the tanks use the same water, dechlorinator, food, etc. All 3 tanks water specifications are within normal limits. Heaters are all working and temps are within their limits. So here is a timeline of what has happened... A Colombian Tetra was being bullied in the 36 and its tail fin was missing, so I moved it into the 10 gallon so it could heal. For about 2 weeks everything seemed fine, then the tetra developed a few black spots on its sides, within a week of this happening it died, ever since then I have lost several other fish in the 10 gallon including a betta, cory cats, a cherry barb. Seems like once a week I lose a fish in the 10 gallon.

I've had 3 fish die in the 36 gallon over the past few months but they were all older and I don't think it is related. I have had no problems at all in the 55 gallon.

Back to the 10 gallon. All of the fish that have died have died differently. The tetra got the black spots then over a few days was lethargic, the cory cat and cherry barb seemed fine then BAM, dead. The betta was lethargic for 2 days and died yesterday. Now there are 3 cherry barbs and a cory cat left. The cherry barbs are acting fine but now the cory cat is acting weird and has white filmy looking skin on top of its head.

Please give me any suggestions on what is going on and what to do!!! Thanks
Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2016 21:29Profile PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited 11-Jul-2016 05:59
Hi Bama,
The black spots are probably worms - Diplostomulum and oddly enough the infection is called Black Spot Disease. These critters come from snails. If you have any in the tank, toss them. In reading a couple articles on this parasite, the best way to get rid of them is to forget about them... without snails they cannot complete their life cycle and they die off. If the fish are healthy they should be able to withstand the parasites.

Look for a "chart of aquarium fish diseases" on the internet. A white "cottony" coating is also there.

With the main problem being in the 10G tank you may want to think of tearing it down and scrubbing it with a very diluted solution of regular Clorox. Use the "regular" product and not one with any additives to make it work better or smell better. Once the tank and everything in it is cleaned, then refill the tank and add declorinator to the tank to get rid of any small amounts remaining.

Be sure that you have separate items such as separate nets and that you are not cross contaminating the other tanks with a wet net from the 10G tank, etc.

Many times the problem originates from a tank that is not maintained properly, ie. gravel not vacuumed regularly. Double check on your cleaning practices.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 11-Jul-2016 05:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Bama88
Small Fry
male usa us-florida
Thanks, I try not to use the same nets, vacuums, etc. I don't have any snails in any of the tanks. But it was just weird that all of the symptoms were different in the fish.
Post InfoPosted 11-Jul-2016 17:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Bama88
Small Fry
male usa us-florida
So the last cory died last night. All that's left is the 3 cherry barbs, they seem to be doing fine. Should I do anything to the tank now or just wait and see what happens?
Post InfoPosted 12-Jul-2016 23:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Bama88
Small Fry
male usa us-florida
All 3 cherry barbs are acting weird now.
Post InfoPosted 20-Jul-2016 01:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
moondog

---------------
---------------
The Hobnob-lin
Kudos: 1038
Votes: 4366
male usa
Have you tried taking your water to your lfs to see if they can find anything wrong with your parameters? Or maybe they can test for something that shouldn't be there, like some foreign substance leeching into the water from somewhere?

"That's the trouble with political jokes in this country... they get elected!" -- Dave Lippman
Post InfoPosted 20-Jul-2016 14:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies