L# ICK Problem
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeICK Problem
cjwalker28
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 6
Votes: 1
I have a small Firemouth that I've had for a while now, and out of the blue he started to get what I think is ICK. It looks like a white growth that runs down the base of the dorsal fin. Could someone tell me what the main cause of ICK is and the best way to help my Firemouth? Thanks.
Post InfoPosted 20-Aug-2008 18:12Profile PM Edit Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Ich should look a bit more like grains of salt or little white pimples than a white growth. If it is a single white spot or a white line that runs the length of the fin, I think you might be dealing with something else.

Is there any chance of a photo?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 20-Aug-2008 19:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cjwalker28
-----
Small Fry
Maybe not so much as a growth... I couldnt get a good pic cuz I couldnt focus it. If you cant tell by this I could get another one. http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z33/cjwalker28/Drew005.jpg
Post InfoPosted 20-Aug-2008 23:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
That looks like "some type" of a fungus

First I would like you to post as much as you can about your tank the more you tell us the easier it could be to give you the the correct help.

I personally would rule out Ich to start of with. It could be a secondary infection from a bite or a scratch from something sharp in the tank.
It also could be a problem within the tank water parameters

Melafix can be used but this is a stress treatment only.
Pimafix is a anti-fungal treatment and can be use together.

If you have to buy both of these meds PLEASE check the used by date/expiry date as I have seen these products on shelves way way past those dates.

Also if you decide to use these or any other meds only use as recommended, and remove any carbon it the filter/s you are using.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 21-Aug-2008 04:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cjwalker28
-----
Small Fry
Well, it's a 30 Gallon with no plants. I have the small Firemouth, a Pleco, a small Tiger Shovelnose, and an African Chiclid. Im not sure of anything about the water because I dont have anything to test it. The two chiclids usually dont bother each other and stay in their side of the tank, although I thought the fungus or whatever it is was originally a bite from the other chiclid, so I removed himto another tank, but it started spreading, so I didnt know what to do. I've never had this problem before. My fish are always healthy.
Post InfoPosted 21-Aug-2008 22:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cjwalker28
-----
Small Fry
My problem has gotten MUCH WORSE. Now whatever is growing on my Firemouth is eating away his fin. I would really appreciate the help!
Post InfoPosted 30-Aug-2008 22:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Have you got any medications there?

I am far from an expert but what I would be "trying" would be Melafix to reduce any stress and Pimafix for a fungal treatment. But it sounds like you require a far stronger treatment.
If possible and you have a very good LFS take the fish to them. Also take a good water sample. I would also add a air-stone to add extra air to the tank.

How often and what percentage are you changing the water in tank he is in now.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 31-Aug-2008 03:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cjwalker28
-----
Small Fry
I dont change the water very often. Maybe every 3-4 months. Tomorrow I go to the store, so Ill look at their meds.
Post InfoPosted 31-Aug-2008 04:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
I dont know who ever told you about changing water "MAY BE" every 3-4 months, but I am sure it was no one from here or any qualified fish keeper.

The water must be polluted beyond belief.
Water test have you ever had it done correctly?
Filtration how often do you clean that?
Exactly what type do you have?
Deep gravel vac do you do that?
I would start immediatly by changing a minimum of 33% every 4-5 days for several weeks.

Sorry to be so hard on you but some one had to advise you about healthy fish keeping.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 31-Aug-2008 05:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies