AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# The Hospital
  L# I want to eradicate hexamita trophites(sp?) from empty aquariums.
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeI want to eradicate hexamita trophites(sp?) from empty aquariums.
geisleri
Small Fry
female usa
After 4 months the DD Black Angels I got are clear of hexamita( I used a microscope and did gut smears) My question is: can I dump all the filters, apparatus, nets, etc that were part of the daily flagyl/water- change routine into the empty 40 gal. tank, raise the temp to ?????, and for how long? I have read so much about this scourge and do not want any residual "spores" to recolonize the water, but I would like to re-use the equipment if possible..From all I read, heat is the only sure-fire way to kill the little buggers. I also have a lot of metro left.
Post InfoPosted 04-Apr-2013 17:54Profile PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi, and welcome to Fish Profiles...
I don't see where heat will kill the critter. I do see that these tend to exist in managable quantity in aquariums and that it is only under periods of stress that they can successfully invade the host and kill them. It seems that fish in good health do just fine.

This is a very good article on the subject.

http://www.extension.org/sites/default/files/w/0/02/Management_of_hexamita_in_ornamental_cichlids.pdf

I suspect that you can wash your equiment in a weak solution of chlorox and water, rinse well, and then reuse them. Because its primary way of going from one fish to another is in the fecal matter in the gravel, You could wash and then boil your gravel but man does it ever stink!!!

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 04-Apr-2013 22:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies