Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeKilled.....by brine shrimp?
djtj
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 885
Votes: 49
male usa
Ok, I haven’t posted here in ages, but something’s come up. I currently own a 20 gallon long freshwater tank that was, until today, stocked with 1 Bolivian ram, 2 Cochus blue tetras, and 7 serpae tetras. This morning, my brother pointed out that one of the serapes had died and I went out fish it out. Well it turns out that all of the serpaes had died, along with the ram and blues. Now, I haven’t been particularly active as far as my tank lately. It’s Friday, and I did a routine 20% water change last Sunday. No new plants or fish. In fact, the only thing new was a brine shrimp cube that I threw in Thursday morning. Now, this was from a brand new package that I bought 2 weeks ago(for my frogs, but they did as well, but for different reasons). I didn’t check parameters (The water was far too nasty), but I’m positive that the shrimp were what did the fish in, especially after I found loads of uneaten shrimp all over the tank. I’ve gotten over it, but what’s really bugging me is why the fish died. Every time I’ve lost fish (ick, heater malfunction) I’ve learned from the problem and corrected it. But I’ve always used the shrimp and I don’t understand why it killed my fish. But what’s ever more interesting/disgusting is how the fish died…

GRUESOME DETAILS AHEAD

Now, if the shrimp were simply “bad” I would assume that the water would foul and the fish would die slowly from ammonia poisoning, but this was not the case. The fish themselves looked nothing like victims of ammonia burn. They were literally decomposing in front of my eyes. You know how, if a fish has died and gets caught in the filter for a couple of hours, it is missing scales and has that “shedding” look. Well that is exactly what mine looked like, except they were still alive. I have no idea what would cause this (parasite, bacteria, etc.) but I was wondering someone here would.
Post InfoPosted 18-Jun-2006 04:31Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
A few concerns first a 20% water in my opinion is not suficient a minium of 30% is ideal.
I haven’t been particularly active as far as my tank lately. It’s Friday, and I did a routine 20% water change last Sunday

How lon was it since the previous water change??
As you stated (above) is it posible that there was some deaths in the tank and you did not notice them?
This morning, my brother pointed out

Also did you feed them straight after the water change?

I think there could have easly been a combination of componded problems that could have easly caused these deaths. Sorry to be so harsh but lack of constant survalance and care can cause problems very fast. In a small tank when one fish dies the water can polute very quickly. You have not mentioned filtration what type do you have and when did you fully clean it? I have always been told never feed on the same day as the water change it is to do with the fishes inability to adjust to a water change and feeding at the samr time.

Finally if it was dried shrimp cube some fish cannot digest them as the shrimp swell in their stomach and this will lead to deaths. Just because you had opened them does not mean they were fresh and safe to use.

I think your only option now is to do a full pull down of the tank or several big water changes at least twice a week. I would also get you water supply tested just in case there are problems there.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2006 03:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
djtj
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 885
Votes: 49
male usa
it's been 6 days since my last water change
by not particularrly active, i mean no new fish/plants/anything for over a month. It's been 3 months since i added/lost a fish and 1 since i adde3d new decor.

there were not deaths in the tank before friday. I had looked into the tank thursday evening and everything was good.

the filter is an aquaclear 50 whith a sponge and carbon which clear out regularly.

I would think that if the fish died simply from neglect, they would not have died within hours of each other. Nor would they have the bizarre symptoms i saw.

Yeah, i tore down the tank/ reclycing now. i just wanted to know what went wrong ,for future reference
Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2006 04:10Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
the filter is an aquaclear 50 whith a sponge and carbon which clear out regularly.

This is just a wild guess (carbon) carbon removes a lot of chemicals/medications it also can cause problems if the carbon is not removed as soon as possible. I think you will find most members do not use carbon on a perminent basis but use it to remove any chemicals/medicines which have been added to cure a problem.

If I am correct the carbon stores all the removed products and it could be possible to actually start building into a very nasty mix that could/will actually kill all your good bacteria in the filter and tank as well as releasing a nasty coctail back into the tank.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 20-Jun-2006 04:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies