SubscribeMass Black Neon Death
BlackNeonFerret
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 137
Votes: 30
female uk
EditedEdited by BlackNeonFerret
I had a shoal of black neon tetras in my 54l. There were 5, and I added 3 new ones about 4 days ago. About 2 days after the introduction I noticed that a few of the tetras had developed white spot, which I started treating. However, in the space of 12 hours, 4 of the other (older) black neons have died. The dead ones have been white, often with missing fins and tails, and a few have been missing eyes. They look like they've been dead for about three days, yet they all seemed healthy yesterday evening (other than the white spot, which wasn't even affecting those fish). All of the remaining tetras are acting normal. There are also a few guppies and a platy in the tank, and none of them are affected. I have tested the water, and ammonia and nitrites are 0, nitrates around 40, and temperature 26C. Ph is around 7.2, but this has never been a problem before (most of the black neons have been in the tank for about 3 years) I am very confused as to why they died, and why it was only these fish affected, but I can't figure out what it is.

Thankyou in advance for any help or advice.
Post InfoPosted 14-Apr-2008 19:43Profile PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
go to the LFS. buy some malachite green solution labeled as Ick AWAY or similar.treat as recommended for up to one month and start to quarantine fish before you introduce them. that else is in the tank. if there are any loaches or scalesless fish transfer them to another tank or dose at half with the ich meds...

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 15-Apr-2008 03:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
It is very likely that you imported the white spot along with some other disease. I would contact your LFS and ask them about your Tetras. As for the dead ones there is a very good chance that another fish is eating them.

Just a question what brand and type of medications did you use and at what strengths also how often?
Do you have any charcoal or carbon in your filtration system.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 15-Apr-2008 03:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
BlackNeonFerret
-----
Enthusiast
female uk
EditedEdited by BlackNeonFerret
I'm using a malachite green white spot treatement every other day (as that's the dosage on the medicine) and I removed all carbon from my filteration system. A futher tetra has died since I last posted.

Edit: The white spot treatement is called 'King British WS3 treatement'
Post InfoPosted 15-Apr-2008 21:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
Try protozin or esha exit next time, probably find it works much better,and its readily available in the uk.

KB stuff generally doesnt get good reviews.
Post InfoPosted 17-Apr-2008 05:58Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
BlackNeonFerret
-----
Enthusiast
female uk
Ok i'll try that. The deaths seem to have stopped now.
Thanks for the help.
Post InfoPosted 17-Apr-2008 09:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies