L# Mollie bouancy off?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMollie bouancy off?
Jlorenzo

Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 0
EditedEdited 25-Jan-2010 05:49
Have a silver lyre tail that seems like when hes not swimming he floats straight to the top and some times is floating face down vertically which I have never seen before, he also has some grayish marking that appear to be under the scales going down his sides. He is also swimming slower and its almost as if he was drunk. He seems to be hanging close to the top of the water and floating recently. It doesnt look good. Any Ideas? any help is much appreciated.

All my parameters are good. I do 25% water changes 3 to 4 times a week. Its a 37 gal Ive had for about 2.5 months. I did add the three loaches awhile ago and one (which was sickly from the start) died about a month ago
temp is 73
I have 3 black mollies 2 female one male
3 silver lyre tails 2 male 1 female (I know the sex ratio isnt the best but I got them before I knew about that)
2 dojo loaches (going into a tank more suited to there liking soon)

the gray markings almost look like it could be part of the fishes coloration but ive never seen it before. its not fuzzy and it definatly looks like its under the scales.

I would cut back on the water changes but if I wait two or three days the ammonia goes up to .25ppm. I don't know if thats tolerable but I know ammonia is toxic to fish and small levels can cause harm. I have a airstone and a powerhead (with the tube pulling air) and the HOB filter that came with the tank(LFS kit). I am planning on possible adding another filter that is exactly the same (if its not overkill). I feed them a varied diet of mainly Flakes and shrimp pellets for the loaches, although all the fish seem to go for the pellets. I also occasionally feed them algae pellets and freeze dried blood worms to keep things interesting. I am pretty sure they are pooping normal. I will see poops hanging out of the fish now and then. I usually feed them once or sometimes twice a day also I try to incorporate a fast day once a week. I will try to get a decent pic. Thank you so much for taking interest and trying to help me
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2010 05:45Profile PM Edit Report 
lowlight
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 94
male usa us-california
Was your tank completely cycled before adding fish? You shouldn't see a spike in ammonia after going a couple of days without a water change.
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2010 08:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
Do all the other fish appear healthy?
I would recommend doing a deep gravel vac one clean a week to make sure you are getting rid of any excess food and waste. That may help with the touch of ammonia you are seeing.
What is your nitrate level like?
Is there any nitrite?
What is your pH?
Another filter wont do any harm, aslong as it isnt goig to blow the fish to the other side of the tank I would do it!
I would say the Mollie that is sick is not coping with the ammonia that keeps appearing.

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2010 23:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Jlorenzo

Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 0
All the other fish seem healthy other than one Dojo Loach that seems to have small patches of red dots on his head and around one gill. I just checked my nitrate and it was just shy of 5ppm. My ph is almost 7. I do a pretty good gravel vac close to every other water change. I just go around my plants and ornaments.
Post InfoPosted 27-Jan-2010 20:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies