Wick019
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 0
I have recently set up a 40gal aquarium. In the aquarium I have the following

2 angel fish
2 blue dwarf gourami
2 green Spotted Puffers

I recently had at one time 10 tiger barbs. I started with 5, then read due to the agression between them it was better to add more to spread that agression out. I ended up with only two left as they all kept dieing, I only assumed due to the agression. And finally took the last two out of the tank today.

their agression was so bad, most of my fish, (except the puffers) kept in hidding.

now my angel is missing a good portion of his tail and dorsal fin.

Please Help!
Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2010 01:39Profile PM Edit Report 
Ethan14
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 339
Votes: 18
male usa
Yeah Tiger Barbs don't mix well with fish that have long nippable fins. And neither do green spotted puffers! My green spotted puffer is so aggressive. They are definitely not fit for the community tank.
Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2010 06:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Sounds like you have and have had some very aggressive fish in that tank. Its a miracle the Angels are alive if they are still it will not long before the Puffers rip their fins to pieces then start on the Gouramis

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 14-Jun-2010 00:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
As the other two have said puffers belong in a species only tank.

You will need to move the puffers to their own tank. The remaining fish will need time to recover before being placed in a community environment again. Increase water changes to twice a week, make extra sure that your water temperature matches before adding the new water in. You can also add some melafix to the water.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 14-Jun-2010 08:31Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
me is already in use
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 99
Votes: 25
male usa us-california
EditedEdited 18-Jun-2010 06:29
Hey Wick,

Like most puffers, green spotted puffers have a reputation for aggression and nipping. They are the most likely culprit. Though frequently sold as freshwater fish, green spotted puffers belong in brackish water (between fresh and full marine). They are definitely cool fish, though, so if you want them to survive and thrive there is a wealth of information about them on the internet.

Here's one article (there's several more GSP FAQs on the same site): Green Spotted Puppies, er… Puffers

The Puffer Forum has been around for a long time and is a great place for puffer advice.

Hope this helps

Welcome to Fish Profiles
Post InfoPosted 18-Jun-2010 06:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies