Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribePositive Ich experience
lochness&ruby
---------------
Small Fry
Kudos: 4
Votes: 9
female usa
my tank got infected with Ich via an LDA33 my husband bought me as a gift (he is not allowed to do this anymore lol) - the pleco did NOT look good to begin with and imo was already in a weakened state with a concave belly.

I panicked as I had several plecos and 7 p. denisonii now exposed to it and the lfs suggested ADPro's Quick Cure - active ingredients are formalin and malachite green. I raised the temp to 85F, increased the aeration in the tank and used the medication as indicated on the bottle and in less than 4 days I saw tremendous improvement - I did lose the LDA33 but my other plecos and fish were fine.

Hope this helps.

Post InfoPosted 27-Dec-2007 10:57Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
Aww.......Sorry for the loss.....

Anyway, it would be wise to continue treatments for at least another week or so, and do a 25-50% WC at each 3 day interval. I had also had great experiences with the Formalin/Malachite Green Mixture, and i hope that they wil all recover nicely, as my fish have done.

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 27-Dec-2007 18:07Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
lochness&ruby
---------------
Small Fry
Kudos: 4
Votes: 9
female usa
ah thnx gobyfan, but this occurred around in the summer and all is well now, was just sharing my experience - sometimes reading about other's trials and tribulations makes it less scary when you're going thru it and seeking some direction.

I did indeed change the water 50% at day 4 and continued the meds for another 4 days with a 30% change every 3 days - I also treated my equipment by dunking them in very steamy hot water in a bucket with the Quick Cure medication for several hours since Ich cannot survive at those temps and I didn't want to risk reinfection that way.
Post InfoPosted 27-Dec-2007 20:17Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Carissa
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 37
Votes: 0
Did you get any ammonia or nitrite spikes after using it? I'm paranoid about losing my biofilter and plants but I've been having some parasite problems lately.
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2007 20:14Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
Well, when i got ick in the main, heavily planted tank, i did not lose any plants. THe bio filter in my 10g that had ick, was not affected, and it is less than adequate for that tank, as in underfiltered. No signs of a cycle at all. All the fish will do fine if you follow the directions and dosing very carefully, and also doing waterchanges every 3 days.

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2007 23:21Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies