SubscribeSick Betta...
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
just got this lil guy Sunday, barely moving now, spent the last couple days lying on the tank bottom... floats around in the movement of the water (which isnt much), hasnt eaten betta pellets, flakes, bloodworms, anything since we brought him home.

10g tank, lightly planted with a couple small anacharis and little wisteria
Amm 0ppm
Nitrites 0ppm
pH 8.2
75 degrees F
Nitrates 20ppm

I dunno what to do other than wait and watch him die... I cycled the tank with ammonia, and made sure Nitrites and Ammonia were 0ppm before adding Teddy.

I added some Aquarium salt with the 25% WC I just did, hoping that might do something. He perked up just a little bit whenI began pouring water in, didn't even give the bloodwroms and pellets a snif...

I don't want to medicate unless I have to...

Any suggestions?? I am bummed, and so will my son be bummed if we lose Teddy...
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2008 04:31Profile PM Edit Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
male usa
well, an update... I began dosing melafix and pimafix yesterday, he's got a red bump/spot on his upper lip and one eye appears to be cloudy... it's like he struggles to get to the surface and cannot get there... he just falls to the bottom of the tank and lies there, sometimes twitching... its sad... I wish I knew what I could do to help him...

any ideas?
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2008 04:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
Try to find out what disease it is, and medicate accordingly. There are a LOT of profiles of diseases on here, and i am sure you will find what you need. It kinda sounds like he's dying already, and probably came in sick......I would definately blame stress, as not eating is normal for a betta to do when he is first introduced to a tank. The stress probably made the disease worse, and BAM you are where you are.

Keep dosing MelaPimaFix to make sure it isnt a bacterial pop-eye or something. Then when you find out your disease, treat it accordingly.

Good Luck!

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2008 05:38Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
male usa
thanks Goby... but too late, he's gone.... I am guessing that I probably bought a sick Betta that was made even worse by the stress of moving into a new home... back to the old drawing board...
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2008 05:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sora
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 96
Votes: 134
male usa
sorry to hear he passed scott...

The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we dont know what to do.
Post InfoPosted 27-Jan-2008 00:39Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
EditedEdited by GobyFan2007
Hey Scott, try to keep the betta in the dark when you bring him home, so that he wont be as stressed. Also be sure to "Test" each betta by seeing if he is skittish when you interact with it. Try putting another male next to it! See it flare, and how it does before purchasing it!

Good luck, and i hope you get some pix! Try for a crowntail, as these are really nice!

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 27-Jan-2008 05:04Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies