Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeSick Oscar
cappa
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 14
Votes: 1
male australia
There is something wrong with my oscar. He has a bulging stomach (but not pineconed scales). His eyes seem to be sticking out really far out of his head and he hasn't been eating for a while now. I've tried to cure the problem witha general remedy but he hasn't improved. If anyone can help me out here it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Cappa
Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2006 22:15Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Try some cooked peas just in case it could be constipation, but I dought if it is. In the mean time get a full water peramiters done at your LFS quickly.
More info required about your tank, size, what is in the tank, filtration, water changes what percentages and how often, finally how old is the Osca?

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2006 02:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cappa
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 14
Votes: 1
male australia
Its the sole occupant of a 200 litre tank. The oscar is pretty old as well. He was given to me about 5 or 6 years ago already fully grown. He had a mate all of that time who died last year. Water changes are done weekly, sometimes fortnightly and about 25% is changed. His diet is mainly floating pellets but he accaisionally has beef heart or something similar. Thanks for the help...
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2006 15:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jester_fu
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 522
Votes: 12
male australia
You still haven't posted the water parameters. pH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate are the bare minimum.

It sounds like some sort of bacteria to me, with the limited info you've given. I'd remove your active filter media and start treating with Tertracycline. It's good for Gram Negative and Positive bacterial infections both internal and external.

With a little more info, it may be possible to give a more specific suggestion to target exactly what your fish has. You may like to include the brand of food, the regularity of feeding and the tank parameters (as above). It would also be useful to see a picture of the fish incase there is something obvious that is being missed dfrom the information you are providing.
Post InfoPosted 19-Jul-2006 00:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
JQW
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 758
male australia
It could be internal parasite, such as tapeworms.
I had similar experience with my discus, treated with Aquamaster Worm Tablets, it contains Praziquantel, it works on the membrane of the parasitic worm.

It's good for Gram Negative and Positive bacterial infections both internal and external.

Be careful when treating with anti-bacterial drugs, it also affects the benificial bacterial colony severely. Your nitrifying bacteria are gram negative, so be careful that you don't wipe out your bacteria colony. Also some chemical in the drug may remain in your filter media after treatment if finished, it affects the ability of bacteria to recolonise. Monitor ammonia, nitrite closely. Add ammo ball and do waterchanges as needed.

Best of luck with your oscar.
Post InfoPosted 24-Jul-2006 12:11Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies