SubscribeTreating Columnaris
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
by all descriptions, it looks as if I have an active (off and on) outbreak of columnaris in ym 10g. One by one I have lost fish with either mouth fungus or conttony tufts along their backs and sides...

I am down to 1 harlequin raspbora and 2 panda corys. I had up to 7 harlies, and also a Betta in the tank. One by one I have lost them all.

I have treated on and off with Pimafix and/or melafix, and I even gave a course of Furan-2.

My water paramters are good, have always beens table:
I have a small HOB filter, pea gravel, rocks... snails have decimated the plant life so I will have to start again with that.

My intention is to buy a clown loach once I get this columnaris "under control"

amm - 0ppm
ite- 0ppm
ate- 20 ppm
pH 8.2
hardness 16-20

temp aroud 80 degrees f
Post InfoPosted 23-Jun-2009 03:32Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
LOOK HERE

I did a "Search" here FP Columnaris there are a few references I suggest you print this out first then do the Search for more information

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 23-Jun-2009 03:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
male usa
EditedEdited by scottf
Keith-

Hey thanks, interesting read for sure... Of course the whole Potassium permanganate doesn't seem viable for me. So, I am treating with Pimafix and furazolidone. Of all that I have read, those two seem to stand out the most frequently as having success when dealing with Columnaris. I am also trying to slowly work the tank temp down via water changes between doses as per directed. And, I have added a small bubble stone to help increase aeration. The temp is currently 79 degrees, still too high.

We'll see what happens. Of course now, there are no fish with outward signs of the infection so it will be some time before I can really claim "victory" over this stuff.
Post InfoPosted 24-Jun-2009 01:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
If you're running a HOB filter dropping the water level bit can help increase surface agitation, and really that's all the bubble stone is there for. Being a 10 we don't want to lower the level too much, since there's already such little water to work with.

Also, raise up your tank lights or even leave them off for longer...all day if possible. Even fluorescent lights create heat.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 26-Jun-2009 01:17Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
male usa
I've been leaving the tank lights off each day, I did a 25% water change before the third dose of the Furazolidone per instructions. I've done one full course of the meds now (4 doses).

With the summer heat in full swing, I've not been able to get that tank down much below 78, even with cooling water changes. (my wife keeps the house fairly warm lol)

I am wondering if I ought to keep dosing a few more days with the Fura meds and the Pimafix, or stop and add carbon and get back to normal in the tank...

I'm leaning towards doing another 25% water change and continuing to dose a few more days.
Post InfoPosted 27-Jun-2009 12:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies