L# What Is Wrong With My Pleco
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWhat Is Wrong With My Pleco
imverystupid
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 21
Votes: 1
its body around its tail is starting to turn red it was not like this earlier today

i think it is a sailfin pleco about 4" long
Post InfoPosted 05-Aug-2008 22:47Profile PM Edit Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
Take a read of the sticky. We really do need some info to work on, many illness are water quality and environment related, and without knowing the perams its very hard to tell whats up or where to look, 450 plus diseases, dozens of wc related factors, impossible to sort through without more info.

http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/threads/9769.1.htm?6#

Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2008 00:42Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
imverystupid
-----
Hobbyist
well is there like a picture list of fish diseases maybe i can find it
Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2008 01:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Even if there was which there possibly is you would not even know where to start of finish.

It could be many things from a fish to a water/tank related problem.
You must get a full water parameters done plus post all the details about the tank and a good photo would help,

Other than that take the Placo to your LFS and see what they can tell you that is providing they have more knowledge than many of the members here.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2008 03:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
Redness in a fish can be anything from ammonia poisoning through to hypervascularisation from septacamia and bacterial and fungal infections, and sometimes from systemic toxicity from hydrogen sulphides being produced at substrate level etc. Theres no online database with pictorial references that cover that aspect, and even if they had the pics you cant attribute the look of the fish with symptoms that vague to a likely cause without without knowing the care history. Many symptoms look identical yet are caused by many entirely different things.

Thats just counting out the outlandishly improbable stuff, besides which, 80% of the time it comes back to water quality in one form or another, pollution of nitrogen compounds tends to drop immune systems etc etc. If you use meds when its a water quality problem youll probably cause respiritory issues and renal toxicity, thus killing a eakened fish, if its sickness and the water quality is ok, you have to narrow it down cos you'll be on the clock to get it some meds in time , thats why its important to start the investigative process, and since WQ is the most likely initiator of problems, and conditional to treatment, in every case of illnesses that dont have blindingly obvious symptoms, as a competant fishkeeper you'd be expected to make sure you know, and can rule out the water and its pollution level as a causative factor in flagging health.

Lay of land i'm afraid, cant get much else done without guessing and taking serious risks with your fish's life. Im a fish disease pro, I know what im doing, but without photograph, history of ownership and care and water perams ive got no chance of narrowing it down. Your fish is showing non-specific symptoms. I could take a guess, but if im wrong you'd kill your fish, or pass effective treatment time. Its a complicated business, we need the info, I cant relay to you the several hundred pages worth on fish disease I know to help you, ergo give us the stats and we help.

Its common for newbies at the game to assume illness from disease rather than the susceptibility to disease caused by environmental conditions, and accumulated environmental damage, so to advise you responsibly we have to eliminate those factors, and ensure that you tank conditions are safe enough not only for the fish in the first place, but good enough for treatments, and that the fishs blood o2 level isnt under the kind of stress that increases under medication, possibly to the point of killing the fish.

Thats why on forums when people come straight back with one or two word answers on no info, you know their are to put no finer point on it, peeing into the wind, whereas here and other quality forums we like to introduce a little reliability into the process that allows you to help the fish, rather than make a newbie error, leap for the wrong course of action, and kill your fish. Plus of course every fishkeeper should own a test kit and use it periodically and know their water perameters, without doing so, you cant guarantee the fishs life quality and health isnt at risk.

Well that and its really tedious to keep asking for the water stats, thats why theres a sticky. Its all wasted time when something constructive could be said and a more accurate diagnosis given and the chance of getting it right first time improved.

Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2008 05:36Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
imverystupid
-----
Hobbyist
thankyou

the pleco died so i have no idea what it was about, i guess i can get the water tested.

i have fish that are 20 years old, i wouldnt call myself a newbie to this subject

most of my fish die from old age and not diseases or anything else, this is pretty new to me
Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2008 21:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
imverystupid
-----
Hobbyist
EditedEdited by imverystupid
ammo is 0 ppm

nitrite is .1 ppm (im assuming this is because i changed the filter yesterday, just a little mini cycle)

nitrate is 10 ppm

im assuming .1ppm of nitrite isnt enough to kill any fish, no matter how delicate it is, but i may be wrong

edit** oh yeah, pH is 7.2
Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2008 22:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies