Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribeoh boy...
devon7
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 356
Votes: 4
female usa
I recently added a ram from the LFS without quarantine.... and lo and behold! He/she appears to have fungus... the scales look slightly "fluffy" and color all washed out. AND! ich too! and now my cardinal tetras have the ich.... ick. anyways, what is the mildest way I can treat these and how do I go about it? I'm a holistic medicine type of gal. This is the first time I've ever had disease that is getting worse instead of clearing up immediately....
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2010 11:29Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
devon7
-----
Big Fish
female usa
I have heard a little bit about melafix being a good semi-holistic treatment, but I don't know anything about it... It contains tee tree oil? This is supposed to do what/how? I know on the land, we use it to clear up zits... how does it work on fish? From what I have heard it seems like it might work as a mild treatment for the problems I am having. Any input??
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2010 23:49Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
hca
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 434
Votes: 211
female usa us-illinois
mela fix and pima fix are natural antibiotic/ antifungals
Works the same as it does with us- only in the water...

If you want to try it, i'd use both... to be on the safe side, as they are milder thatn reg meds.And one is for bacteria, one is for fungus... Ive used both with success, no problems. Actually they are the few fish meds I keep on hand.
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2010 00:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
I would also raise the temp of the water to move the ich life cycle along a bit faster. (80 - 82ºF)
Increase the surface agitation by adding an eatra powerhead or an extra airstone.
Melafix and Pimafix will help to limit more disease from affecting your fish.

Good luck!

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2010 00:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
devon7
-----
Big Fish
female usa
Cool - I am going to try melafix first since it is more broad-spectrum, and then If i need to I will do pimafix as well. Thanks for the advice, guys!
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2010 00:31Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies