Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribesick cory's help!
ku5626
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 61
Votes: 7
male usa
my cory's gave birth. and its been about 5 months now and they are all getting pretty big. i currently have 12. i had about thirty cory's all together but they all got some where fungus/ick thing going on and i tried to treat it but anything i tried didnt even affect it. Its been another month from then and the 12 that are alive look healthy and back to normal, and i want to redo that tank and add more fish but i am afraid that if i do that the mysterious sickness will plague the tanks again. so my question is, if it appears that the sickness is gone does that mean it is, or is it just laying dormant. and wat chemicals could i buy to help fight off anything i might have so that i can add more fish to the tank. thanks!
Post InfoPosted 25-Oct-2009 22:04Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
As far as the bacteria or fungus it should be dead and gone, but sometimes you do get some that lay dormant on the gravel or other places and reactivate once the water is stirred up again. so i suggest that you take the fish out and put them in a new temporary home while you revamp your tank. A bucket will do so long as you keep some of their decorations and the filter attached so the water keeps circulating and cleaned and the fish feel safe.

Maybe consider sterilizing your tank when you take it down too if you are still worried about it although this is an extreme measure but sometimes is necessary, and if/when you but new fish for the tank new life i suggest you quarantine them for two weeks or so before you put them in the tank to make sure you arent giving any of your older fish contact with a sick fish even if it looks ok when you bought it.

Keep melafix and a Ich medication on hand just in case you need it, but other than that you just need to be cautious and take your time with the fish.

-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 26-Oct-2009 00:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
The problem you had should be gone 100% by now.
The problem where did it come from?
If it came through the water you had no control over it at all. If for some reason you created the problem you have to make sure it does not happen again.

As far as medications I would not get any at all (providing you can buy it at a moments notice) reason being the Shelf life Used By Date could easy expire before you "Might" require it.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 26-Oct-2009 02:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
Kudos: 63
Votes: 10
female usa
Well, if it was ich/ick, the guy I buy my fish from explained to me that it's always in the water, it just lies dorment. He compared it to the flu. What the flu is to humans, ich/ick is to fish. It's always in the water, but doesn't attack if the fish are healthy and relatively stress free.

If in fact your fish do get ich/ick, my fish guy recommended "nox-ich" which you should be able to find at any quality fish store.
Post InfoPosted 28-Oct-2009 04:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Delenn

That statement could easily open up a long debate and many would be more confused than ever.

When treating Ich the tank must also be treated for at least another 3-4 weeks some say less and others say more.

If you treat the tank for that long you should be 100% Ich free.

Now for the other line of thought.
Where I live down the bottom part of Aust Victoria on the coast and next land fall directly South is the South Pole.
During the colder months Ich just thrives in our water supply. In saying this in some areas every time you do a water change you introduce a fresh batch of Ich.

To stop this I take my water directly from our instantaneous HW service. That heat will kill it no problems at all I also store the water for one week. If for some reason the Ich survived the heat it now has no host to live off and it just dies.

I have heard healthy fish can survive on a mild attack of Ich. Before I started storing my water I lost a few fish and saved a few mainly because of using the medications quickly and knowing exactly how to treat a fish and then the tank.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 28-Oct-2009 05:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies