Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe30 Minute Critter-Searching Tour Around My House
viciouschiapet
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 77
Votes: 15
female usa
Red... you always have the funniest pics to share! That is crazy that you found such strange critters all around your house, but the fact that you decided to photograph and catalogue each of them makes it all the more hilarious and charming.

The pottery that growls!
Post InfoPosted 13-Aug-2007 22:04Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
aaronfry
----------
Hobbyist
?
Kudos: 55
Votes: 159
male usa
Red Move far far away. If this is what you found in a half an hour imagine what you could do with an afternoon.

"No whammy, No whammy, No whammy, STOP!!"

1984-Michael Larsen On Press Your Luck
Post InfoPosted 13-Aug-2007 22:31Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
Sigh. Apparently there aren't many mycophiles on FP.

You guys don't know what you're missing.
Post InfoPosted 13-Aug-2007 22:57Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
Oh I agree, fungi are fun.

I've got a fun one I photographed a couple of years ago, but I think Adam would throw a fit if I posted the picture of it.

Look up "Stinkhorn" NJP, and see why.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 14-Aug-2007 16:50Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Budzilla
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 197
Votes: 90
male usa
lol, iknow what your talking about i have stinkhorns in my yard sometimes, i can see how that may go the wrong way

-Vincent
Post InfoPosted 14-Aug-2007 17:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
EditedEdited by Not Joe Potato

Look up "Stinkhorn" NJP, and see why.

Absolutely, Cali. Everyone showed up to the fungi lecture in my freshman biology class just because they had heard of the infamous "Stinkhorn" and wanted to hear what the prof had to say about it.

Now, you have to understand this prof. He keeps the fridge in his lab stocked with hard liquor, and he usually shows up drunk to a class at least once a week (benefits of tenure, I guess ), so you were always in for a treat because you never knew what would come out of his mouth. He spent half of the time about fungi talking about the life cycle of Pilobolus, and why it was so good. He ended by saying "You know, just about every creature on the planet could benefit by living on top of a pile of [naughty word for feces]."

Classic.

I love this prof. He usually ends up drinking with his favorite students, especially when they get their senior project done. I TAed under him for a semester; now THAT was an experience.

Edit: I are good with the spelling of the words.
Post InfoPosted 14-Aug-2007 20:33Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
RED, those critters are just plain scary man.... scary.... I couldnt live there!
Post InfoPosted 14-Aug-2007 20:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
aaronfry
----------
Hobbyist
?
Kudos: 55
Votes: 159
male usa
Sigh. Apparently there aren't many mycophiles on FP.

I like mushrooms so long as when you eat them they make you grow a foot and a half or give you an extra life

"No whammy, No whammy, No whammy, STOP!!"

1984-Michael Larsen On Press Your Luck
Post InfoPosted 14-Aug-2007 21:18Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
I like mushrooms so long as when you eat them they make you grow a foot and a half or give you an extra life

Don't take this the wrong way, but I think I may love you.
Post InfoPosted 14-Aug-2007 21:20Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Cal - as RED mentioned, it is indeed Scolopendra polymorph..
that hemidactylus shouldnt be in costa rica though, naughty naughty..
Post InfoPosted 15-Aug-2007 18:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Doedogg
---------------
Banned
Kudos: 737
Votes: 445
female usa
Don't take this the wrong way, but I think I may love you.

I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.
~ Mae West
Post InfoPosted 15-Aug-2007 19:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
eat_ham222
-----
Banned
Kudos: 72
Votes: 16
male usa
wow... do u guys live in a bamboo hut or a tent or sunthing? O_O
Post InfoPosted 18-Aug-2007 23:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
REDPHANTOM
----------
Enthusiast
Taking life on an angle
Kudos: 46
Votes: 4
male costarica
EditedEdited by REDPHANTOM
Hi everyone,

First off thanks for the replies. I am glad you all liked the pictures.

Moondog:

You are right, the pede does look like the evil hencheman from a movie. Thats funny!

Tiburon Tailandes:

Well man, its not like you live too far away from me!

Cali:

Thought you might like the odd costa rican critters. Caution was excercised while handling the critters.

Doedogg:

The centipede sent me running alright... For the collecting tweezers and plastic container to catch it with!

Patty:

The only time Ive been stung by a scorp was when I was putting on my shoes!

We tend to learn while growing up to always look for these critters, in the shoes, clothes on the ground, bedcovers, dark corners of the house or areas used for storage... But also while walking along a trail we are always on the lookout for snakes on the ground or on the plants, wasp nests, bee hives, even looking out for plants!

We are taught at an early age that many plants can cause harm, so we are always watching out where we reach to or what we grab a hold of. Plants with thorns, stinging nettles, even some trees that leach harmful resins. It seems to be part of our culture and we dont mind it that much.

Cup of lifenoodles:

I thought the centipede was cute too. No matter what they say about these potentially dangerous critters, I still find them more intresting than scary.

Poisonwaffle:

Your first pic looks like a firefly....Did you find anything intreresting in your critter search?

Viciouschiapet:

Thanks for your comment... Glad you enjoyed the pics, there are some intresting critters inside the house, havent been to the outside just yet! I wonder what ill find...

Aaronfry:

And those are only the ones I found, im sure there are a whole bunch of other intresting things that hide to well to find. Im thinking of bats, solifuges, hairy large spiders, small strong legged spiders, even tree frogs and centrolenela frogs come to my room often.

Joe:

Mycos are cool, quite intresting organisms, not a plant neither an animal. But they are hard to classify and tell apart. Thats probably why not too many people get into it.

We eat some wild shrooms here in CR, but it is not very common to find them in a normal household since most people wont risk eating one that is not adequate.

Nice pictures man!

Budzilla:

Step away from the stinkhorn!

Scottf:

We get used to being around them my friend, becomes part of a normal household as would having mice or cocaroaches around the house. In fact Ill choose those critters over mice, rats or roaches any day without hesitation

Mez:

Thanks again for the IDs! Some geckos were introduced into the country as an attempt to control insect populations. This was done decades ago by some scientists who had no idea of the repercussions of introducing foreing species to local habitats.

Eat ham:

...or something man. We live in a regular house, but when one is surrounded by bush and waterways it provides habitat for the diverse amount of species found in the tropics. The house for them means shelter and food source so a lot of critters move in.

It is a normal thing here in CR to have insects and other critters in their houses, bugs dont discriminate between class or statute and will move in regardless of it being a mansion or a shack. Nontheless a lot of people keep them at bay by periodical fumigation or insecticides, we at home excercise a more laissez faire, laissez passez policy, if they dont bug us we dont bug them, theres enough room for all of us, theres no need to wage war at another living being that poses little threat.

Considering that in my 29 years of life in this country I've only been stung by one of this critters once, some five years ago, a scorpion that was hiding in my shoe. Easily would have avoided it by checking the shoe first.

Well, thanks for your input and comments. Stay tuned for the next episode: Red's Backyard Critter Tour.

James
Post InfoPosted 25-Aug-2007 22:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
clownloachfan
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 850
Votes: 115
male usa us-pennsylvania
wow, and my mom thinks it is bad when she finds a little spider or ant in our house.
Post InfoPosted 05-Sep-2007 16:28Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Rob1619
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 619
Votes: 626
male cyprus
EditedEdited by Rob1619
Cool thread..this is something for me
Great pics guys!
That Centipede is one creepy monster,i hate those!
Oh well here are some of my pics around my house.

I know human beings and fish can co-exist peacefully.
Post InfoPosted 18-Sep-2007 14:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies