AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Off Topic
 L# The Recovery Room
  L# A "SMALL" or not so small worry...
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeA "SMALL" or not so small worry...
houston
---------------
-----
Fish Guru
You want what when?
Kudos: 2462
Votes: 337
female usa
Call me a worry wart, but I heard rumor on Tuesday (today is Thursday) that someone (one of the kids or a group) have planned to set off bombs in the school tomorrow (Friday). And that two of the main rival gangs that are "not coexisting nicely" on our campus are planning a shoot out/drive by. I know 10 years ago I would have laughed at the thought, but after all the goings on and after the shooting in Virginia earlier this week...it really does seem possible. Now before someone goes off and says, well, why don't you tell someone other than us, I would like to say that it has been reported to the office, and all that can "fix the issue" and while they are taking precautions, there is only so much they can do...

Tomorrow would be a good day to do the most damage from an odd stand point. We will be at the end of a long and miserable week of state mandated testing (TAKS, TAKS-I, LAT, SDAA). The teachers are worn down. The good kids are worn down, the not so good kids are wound up, everyone is on edge and waiting for summer to come...then there is the fact that we are still testing, no big deal EXCEPT that puts everyone (or at least 90% of us) with kids we don't know well, if at all, we are not in our own rooms, and if we have to go into lock down there will be a panic, because we don't have the proper keys...(ie. I have the keys to my room C-112, but I'm testing Greenwood's students from A-101, and we will be in Condell-Stewart's room B-206) As of right now i plan on holding down condell-stewart till she gives me her keys, then at least i could lock down.

Then the other BIG factor in all of this is the gang activity that has gone from everyone denying it existed, to OMG don't even take anything as a joke. At the beginning of the year, about 10 kids were sent to alternative school for gang activity. About 2-3 weeks ago they began to come back, and are all back by now...just in time for one of my sweet and innocent little darling dears *chokes at her own joke* to be sent back after threatening another student and then threatening an officer today. Yesterday one girl was looked at cross by someone in the wrong color bracelet, and she went off knocking her off her chairs into the desk, and bashing another boy into the wall busting his nose...the adult? She was desperately trying to hold onto the psycho, while punching the help button, that they finally answered this afternoon, she only got help because 2 kids went running for help. Right before Easter (2 wks ago?) we had a gang fight take place where teachers were diving in and dragging the idiots out, by the end the two who started it were missing clothing...(why start a fight with your pants at your knees? doesn't that automatically cause you problems?)

Anyways we have been on high alert and are on edge...it could just be some punk trying to start mess, but in this day and age it could be for reals. I guess that's all...i'm worried senseless (hopefully for no good reason) so I guess I'll wander off now and go watch happy feet...
*hugs* Houston

"I've got a great ambition to die of exhaustion rather than boredom." Thomas Carlyle
Post InfoPosted 20-Apr-2007 04:30Profile PM Edit Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
Well, if anything does happen, I hope that it happens like it did at my high school.

We had a kid through a Molotov Cocktail at our school.

Which is made of bricks.

And he used a plastic bottle.

Needless to say, it didn't go as he planned. About the only other thing he could have done wrong was use a non-flammable liquid.

We apparently grow them real smart in Central PA.

Joe Potato
Post InfoPosted 20-Apr-2007 04:39Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Racso
---------------
----------
Mega Fish
Some Assembly Required
Kudos: 1442
Votes: 35
male usa us-ohio
people in my state were concerned and freaked out when an issue including the ability for police officers to use tazers on kids... and of course the commercial AGAINST it shows little miss sweet and innocent... but lets see,

-a cop isn't just going to walk into a school and do that to random kids
-many kids bring DEADLY weapons into school now
-sometimes it can get to the point where the officer has two options: pull out GUN or pull out tazer...

I wish people would think first...

and as for the pants thing, I've ALWAYS wanted to attach a small rope or heavy fishing line to their pants (so low they wont feel it) and tie the other end to something immoble... what comes to mind is a great and invaluble lesson in gravity.
Post InfoPosted 20-Apr-2007 14:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
djrichie
----------
Big Fish
Rough but Honest [img]htt
Kudos: 309
Votes: 45
male usa
It sounds like you are worrying about something you can control. You just need to be prepare, I not a big on trusting the government to protect us, but I'm not big on them taking away our rights either. As far a copycats it new on the new last night that at least a dozen school district through out the US are under high alert. I as former teacher in the in city of Baltimore, MD you have to protect yourself and the children who want to be there. I no longer teach because I stuck student who was trying to hit me and grab me by the throat. In my defence he was hold back twice and was bigger than me and I a big guy, who work as a bouncer while in college. As I told the school board and the judge I have the right to protect myself and duty to protect my students. When asked if I did it again My reply was simple and to the point. Hell Yeah. People were killed this week some of our brights stars and more important some of the world unsung heroes. (teachers) by a mental ill person. I blame the parents, for not teaching morals, respect for other and oneself. You keep your eyes and ears open, plan out what your going to do. Have this in your mind because when or if it happens you will have no time to react and you mind will do what you have told it to do.

Djrichie
"So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish" Douglas Adams
Post InfoPosted 20-Apr-2007 14:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 498
Votes: 11
female usa
Personally, I take a better safe then sorry standpoint. If you hear any rumers like that you can always annonomusly tip the local police or school security. Mabey they already know, mabey they don't. The info certainly cant hurt the situation.

Ugh... kids these days...

Inky
Post InfoPosted 20-Apr-2007 20:17Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
houston
---------------
-----
Fish Guru
You want what when?
female usa
Well, today went "ok"...we have people in duty everywhere at all times, and that includes about 5-6 police officers (not counting those HPD that are on patrol) patroling the halls and the grounds. I swear, as I texted kitten earlier today, the stress, strain, and pressure were so thick in the class I was testing today you could have cut it with a knife, but only if it were super sharp. I've still got a stress induced migraine and the kids left at 3...Well, the download of what all happened today is this...I began work at 6:30 with about another 10 adults walking the grounds...7:30 I picked up my testing materials...began testing sometime after 8, kids finished by 10(fastest test this week). Released to "normal schedule" at 11ish, had hall duty from then until 12, at which time I was supposed to get some sort of break, but had to go cover a class till 1:15, then grabbed a video for my 8th period morons (sorry not fond of them right now) to watch, grabbed another coke, and took roughly a 1/12 (abt 30-35 mg of soma) for pain. I figured heck that tiny amount I should be able to handle. I apparently got my point through to my kids that they would behave, I locked the door, and uhm well, I know I was awake for them to leave, but uhm Susan was literally trying to roll me out of my room in my desk and I had no idea till I almost fell out of the chair New Rule! No Amount of Soma is to be Taken at Work!!! It was almost 6pm before I got out of the building, where 4 hrs went is still beyond me I still feel just out of it, but I was able to drive home...Oh and as for gang life on my campus, we've increased the number of kids going to alternative school, or juvie to almost 30, about 7 for gang related mess today...and I have now declared a new set of favorite colors, for anyone concerned, I only like Hot Pink, and Fluoresent Purple...as far as I know they are not gang related, though me getting dressed this morning was a challenge, and my dumdum had to mess with me saying i was dressed for the northside Somebody help him, uh me I think I'll start counting backwards from 100, and see if I can get to 95...

On the otherside, there was plenty of action in the "Houston Area" for those that haven't heard, There was a hostage/SWAT situation in Clear Lake...NASA...oh what a day...night night...Houston

"I've got a great ambition to die of exhaustion rather than boredom." Thomas Carlyle
Post InfoPosted 21-Apr-2007 03:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
Maybe it's just where I went, but the public schools suck. My high school in Texas had lots of fighting, but that was nothing compared to the one in Virginia. At least a half dozen permanent police, and brawls still broke out regularly. One or two knife attacks happened when I went there, and a bathroom got set on fire. Plenty of bomb threats at both schools, of course. Crappy parenting is probably to blame, which means it starts young and there's not really anything that can be done about it.

The shootings at Virginia Tech were different, apparently the man was a literal psycho. It's really sad what happened, and hits close to home since I'm just cross-state. Richmond is a much more likely place for violent crime than Blacksburg, and the two schools in Norfolk (including mine) are in more danger. Tech was just one of those cases that nobody really expects except in hindsight, sorta like Columbine.

I dunno. Public high schools and even middle schools in many areas are going to have problems, no matter what. You can pretty much just expect trouble there. Universities aren't generally so bad, but it's easy to get complacent. No place is ever really safe from criminals or nuts, so it's a good idea to always be prepared.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 21-Apr-2007 05:49Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
EditedEdited by mez
Since when can we openly discuss Terrorism and religion etc here?? FP is on the change!
Post InfoPosted 22-Apr-2007 01:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
Since Adam relaxed the rules a bit Mez. Probably while you were MIA.

Heidi, I dont envy your job at all, it must be very stressful. Stay safe.

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 22-Apr-2007 01:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
katieb
-----
Fish Addict
Votes: 69
female usa
"I blame the parents, for not teaching morals, respect for other and oneself."

The kid was mentally ill. Thats not something fixed by parents teaching their kids right and wrong. From what I've read he has shown signs of mental illness throughout his life. Hopefully this is a wake-up call to parents and school personnel to be more aware of the signs mental instability before its too late.

I'll do graffiti,
If you sing to me in French.
Post InfoPosted 22-Apr-2007 05:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 375
Votes: 223
male usa
we had problem with that here in michigan last week. and the cops had busted every single person who called in all the threats, some by email, some by phone and by written letter.

and all of them are facing charges and possiblity of fines to repay the cost.

to get this under control, its time to expell the student(s) from that school district for life, charge them for any and all possible charges and send them the bill for any and every dime to pay for the time and effort of everyone involved for their stupid pranks.

Fish tanks are an expensive addiction
Post InfoPosted 22-Apr-2007 15:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tiny_clanger
---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 571
Votes: 12
female uk
Maybe someone can explain this whole lockdown thing to me? How does it work, what is it meant to achieve in terms of situation management?

In the UK, no university has "lockdown" plans. We have evacuation plans, but we have no authority to force students to evacuate. All we do is evacuate our own workspaces and advise students to vacate campus and proceed to the assembly point. Noone except the Fire Brigade, I think, has the authority to move them physically.

We certainly have no authority to "lockdown" areas with students inside, we would get in an awful lot of trouble doing something like that, I'm sure. Is that what you're talking about, Houston? Locking students inside areas?

-------------------------------------------------
I like to think that whoever designed marine life was thinking of it as basically an entertainment medium. That would explain some of the things down there, some of the unearthly biological contraptions
Post InfoPosted 22-Apr-2007 21:44Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
houston
---------------
-----
Fish Guru
You want what when?
female usa
Evening TinyClanger,
A lock down essentially is designed to keep the "bad people" out and keep the "good ones" in safe and sound, so to speak. At one campus our code was "TEA is in the building" (TEA=Texas Education Agency...which would be terrifying )...at my current campus they say, "Ruby Sue Clifton is needed immediately in the attendance office." (Ruby Sue Clifton, is who our school is named after) This is the sign that we are to close the blinds, turn off the lights, lock the door, and get all the kids in our "safe corner", and to be close to the ground and silent, until told otherwise. This keeps anyone from the outside from seeing in, the lights off keep people from seeing from the halls, doors locked (the first most important thing) to keep everyone else out. the rest is just safety...the once we practiced this my kids were really good, though a couple of my girls started to cry, and one of the boys (the smallest) managed to get under the chair of the desk, and in the book holder thingy...(I'll try and attach a picture later)...This is what we consider a lock down...if I don't have any kids I am to try to get my bottom out to the MI room and inform them as well as help them...but only if i can do so safely...

In light of the activities that have been going on here in Houston in the past 4 days, I prefer lockdown than run for your lives...but the issue would be if you are in a room where you don't have a key or if there is a sub, again, no key...then I don't know...They are just now announcing that there have been 10 murders/shooting deaths since Friday...the latest about 2 miles down the road, 3 killed, 2 others shot, and 1 pistol whipped...go figure, the world is going crazy...wonder if I could go back to Presidio? maybe it's not as insane then again, where would the excitement be? To all others be safe, take care...I need some more sleep, migraine for 2 days has me out of it... ~~Houston

Post InfoPosted 24-Apr-2007 04:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Geez! its almost to the point where schools will be declared unsafe and everyone will have to be home-schooled! That's insane!

I just don't understand how this can keep happening. We don't have mass shootings here, we do have some gang stuff, but its kinda isolated. The only shootings I can remember have been horrific events that have pretty much stopped the nation they are that uncommon. It sort of seems that school shootings are becoming strangely... well accepted is the wrong word, but kind of like that anyway. The schools are locked down tighter than most other things in 'real life' other than prisons, I don't understand why more hasn't been done.

Change the format, change the rules, change something to stop this happening You guys shouldn't have to continually have the prospect of being gunned down at the back of your minds, and neither should the students.

I have so much respect for anyone who can voluntarily go back to such a place day after day. I couldn't do it.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 24-Apr-2007 15:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 375
Votes: 223
male usa
EditedEdited by monkeyboy
a majority of the time any of these things happens its all just some stupid kid playing a joke. but yes, there is that time now and then where it does happen.

and as far as i can remember, anytime anything ever did happen, you never got a warning, it just happened. we once had a huge fight, almost riot at our school years back, and again, just happened, no warning.

but what its going to take is exactly as i said before, charge the person who called it in with every possible charge and also charge the parent with everything possible.

harsh? maybe. effective? highly

Like my parents used to tell me, i want to play adult games, i have to play by the adult rules. and in this day and age, a persons age in my opinion, should be less of a factor.

and as much as this has been on tv and the reports of what could happen to this kids who do this, any one who follows in their shoes is highly stupid for even thinking it.

katieb: "I blame the parents, for not teaching morals, respect for other and oneself."

I highly agree on this, but also I would include the fact that parents dont punish their children anymore to teach them that doing bad things brings on punishment and not this stupid idea of time out by sitting in your chair. but guarantee, a buttwhoopin would. not beat them, just enough to do it right

Fish tanks are an expensive addiction
Post InfoPosted 24-Apr-2007 18:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
houston
---------------
-----
Fish Guru
You want what when?
female usa
Thank you Monkey

I remember when I first taught, it was the plan, but it would have never happened. In the here and now, it is more common, and as was said "acceptable" but not. They way you keep going back is thinking about the sweet, and loveable ones. Remembering when Maya was helping (rather trying to help) ZhuoYi. Her thought was you didn't understand me the first time? "You help need?" I'll say it again, but a little slower, and maybe a bit louder..."Ayuda?" Hmmm maybe I'll use my arms like Meez uses her hands to help us understand, yes body language to those who don't speak ESL...Jumping up and down flapping arms, screaming in slow motion, "AAAAAYYYYUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDAAAA?" over and over again...What is your problem I know I did it right.... yes that was me I couldn't help it, and at that point I couldn't help them either...he was puzzled thinking his "sister" (We consider ourselves a big family) was crazy, probably totally insane...and uh where did she go, the teacher, help, she's on the floor dying laughing for no reason, oh no we do have a real problem....yes things like this are what keep me going back all the time...and it's why i love my newcomers so much also

Now what can be done? To some students and parents nothing is going to work except putting them out of our gene pool...To try and get one child straight I spent almost 2 hrs in a parent conference with child and mother...mother's story changed so many times it's not even funny...Well less than a month later (actually at the time it made no difference either), we are trying to get mother again. Said idiot would not be allowed to come to school without mother. No mother? Then you will be arrested and taken downtown to jail...said idiot laughed at the assistant principal. Today idiot did not show with mommy dearest, but tried to sneak into my room, I kicked him out and let the AP know, she dragged him to the office and when he wouldn't give her a number pulled it up simply, called but mother had blocked the school (honest! how cool is that one?) Finally our Principal called from her personal cell phone, and mother said she wouldn't come, couldn't come, won't come...but she did change her mind when she was told that if she did not get up here in the next 30 mins, she should be expecting the police to be at her door, and she would be taken downtown in cuffs, where she would be reunited with her favorite innocent darling baby boy who would also be in cuffs, and they could share a jail cell till charges were dropped or they could afford to be bailed out...Unfortunately this is a true story, and this is just today...we won't talk about the kids who was removed from class earlier this week in a straight jacket, because they went off the wall, and decided to hold the teacher hostage, and threaten to kill said teacher...uhm needless to say they won't be back anytime soon...

I agree a good wearing out of the vertical smile from time to time never hurt anyone, and might have stopped some of this in the beginning...as for now i look for the "fun time" a happy squeal from look I made a crochet, did i do it right? yes yes yes yes yes...these are the good times...and that's what keeps me coming back...hugs ya'll and uh there are only 19 days left!!! then we have summer school ~~~Houston

Post InfoPosted 27-Apr-2007 04:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tiny_clanger
---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 571
Votes: 12
female uk
Another honest question - do you think that security breeds the problems, that there is a vicious circle going on? Where more police in schools and on campus unsettles kids and drives them to act out?

It's very difficult to imagine, as we seem to come from very different school situations. I have experience working in tough inner city-type primary schools (same problems, no city) and my parents have both worked at tough schools. The approach is generally very softly-softly, the only police officer who regularly attended the primary school was the community police officer who was there mostly to educate kids that, whatever their parents said, police were not all bad. There were no panic buttons or anything like that and no security to answer them.

Would the police have really arrested the kid and his mother at school, even if there was no serious disturbance caused by them? How would this happen, would it have been in front of other kids or in a visible area, or would they have been escorted to a non-visible area by school staff?

-------------------------------------------------
I like to think that whoever designed marine life was thinking of it as basically an entertainment medium. That would explain some of the things down there, some of the unearthly biological contraptions
Post InfoPosted 29-Apr-2007 01:48Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies