Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california

Here are some pictures of my two paradox albino Kenyan Sand Boas. They are called "paradox" because although they are indeed mostly amelanistic, they also have some black splotches here and there on their bodies. Normally I don't really take to albino snakes because they tend to have have creepy-looking red eyes (like this), but the albino Kenyans' eyes look cool... The irises are greenish-gray in color and the pupils look dark - you can only tell that they are actually a dark maroon color if you look hard in bright lighting.

These snakes were born sometime last year. I've had the female (the larger, more yellowish one) for about three months, and I got her "future husband" a few days ago. He's doing well and has already eaten a couple pinkies for me. The difference in color between these two boas is interesting. The female is more yellowish and appears a bit more hypomelanistic, and the male has a deeper orange color and larger spots that are lighter in color.

Here are the photos:

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2008 07:09Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
mnventurer
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 31
Votes: 34
male usa
The don't look creepy at all. Nice looking couple.

Saint Paul, Minnesota USA 20g Freshwater Started June 10th 2008
-> Tank Info In Profile <-
Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2008 18:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
poisonwaffle

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 591
male usa
They're cute

Are you going to try to breed them?
Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2008 21:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
female usa us-california

Yeah, but not for a few years at least (it's generally recommended that females be no younger than three years old and around 200 grams before you breed them). Males can usually breed by their second year though, since they don't really have to invest much in reproduction.

I also have some anerythristic sand boas (lacking red pigment) and some day I'm going to try and make my own paradox snow boas.

Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2008 00:32Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
katieb
-----
Fish Addict
Votes: 69
female usa
They are adorable and I hope they produce copious amounts of babies for you.

Do they spend time on the surface or are they mostly buried?

I'll do graffiti,
If you sing to me in French.
Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2008 23:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
female usa us-california

They are fossorial, so you're lucky if you can see them poking even just their faces out of the substrate. At least during the day... When it's dark they tend to become more active on the surface.

I think that's the main reason why sand boas and other Erycine boas are not as popular as they should be. Most beginning snake keepers want an animal that will be out and about 24 hours a day, which is why they tend to choose species like cornsnakes, kingsnakes, gartersnakes, etc.

Those kinds don't really have the cuteness factor that the Erycine boas are known for, though.

Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2008 08:39Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies