Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBooks 'n Magazines?
mnventurer
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 31
Votes: 34
male usa
Does anyone subscribe to any tropical fish magazines or keep any books? Is there something you would recommend or that you think is vital to fishkeeping? I looked at some books today but it seems most of the information is available on the internet. I picked up a copy of Tropical Fish Hobbyist, it's pretty nice. I signed up at their website for a free issue a while ago but it still hasn't arrived. It got me right back on the internet though viewing all the sites listed in the magazaine. It did help me find a local aquarium society too.

Saint Paul, Minnesota USA 20g Freshwater Started June 10th 2008
-> Tank Info In Profile <-
Post InfoPosted 02-Jul-2008 22:59Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
We get TFH, but honestly, they end up right on the shelf in the library. I'll flip through them sometimes, look at the photos or point out people I recognize as members here but otherwise I don't tend to read them much.

Finding local societies is good, you can also just try a google search for your area as well.
If you don't have the money for a subscription you can always ask at your local library, they may already have a subscription (complete with all the back issues!)

^_^

Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2008 00:36Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
djrichie
----------
Big Fish
Rough but Honest [img]htt
Kudos: 309
Votes: 45
male usa
I get 3 monthy mags, on fish keeping, but usually If only find one or two articles that apply to what I'm into,but it always go to learn about other types of tanks and fish and new products and such,,,,, as far as books any book I can find I get and read,,, If your looking to research the internet is the best,IMO

Djrichie
"So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish" Douglas Adams
Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2008 06:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
I subscribe to TFH and have a fairly good library of fish books. One that I find very useful for looking up fish and their requirements is Encyclopedia of Tropical Fishes by Herbert R. Axelrod and William Vorderwinkler. I have two editions of this book (I believe the earliest one was actually by Innes) and my mom has another one. I'd suggest getting the most recent one you can find. The best part about the book is it tells you care guidelines from the perspective that you want to breed the species of fish. As we know, only the healthiest, happiest fish breed productively, so this is an excellent resource for keeping your fish happy. It does also cover plants, live foods, diseases, etc. There are many other excellent books on fishkeeping, and many of them are specific to certain areas of fishkeeping: breeding, aquascaping, plants, specific groups of fish like livebearers or cichlids, etc.

><>
Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2008 06:24Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
pookiekiller12
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 633
Votes: 41
male usa
I regularly read TFH also, the other US mags I read only if the cover gets my attention about a particular fish or issue.
Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2008 17:48Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
We get Marine World quite regularly.
Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2008 23:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Troy_Mclure
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 306
male australia
Not so much any more.

I just get the TFH magazines when they bring out the calendars now.
Post InfoPosted 04-Jul-2008 00:35Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
shadowtheblacklab
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 52
Votes: 0
female usa
I subscribe to:
TFH
Freshwater and Marine Aquariums
Aquariums USA
Practical Fishkeeping

Yup. I'm that crazy Twilight/animal/music girl
Post InfoPosted 04-Jul-2008 03:35Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies