---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
EditedEdited by keithgh
Floods, Fires, Cyclones now this.

Croc info

Gary Higgins carries a shotgun wherever he goes in the Northern Territory town where a 4.5m crocodile was shot outside a neighbour's back door two days ago.
Mr Higgins estimates about 30 crocodiles have been camping out on his Daly River property since "unusually high" floodwaters isolated the region in December, allowing reptiles to roam dangerously among the community.
The 55-year-old said he is not surprised there is local speculation about whether the huge saltie is dead or not.
"The (Daly) river has been running at about 12m deep since mid-December, with flooding at about 20-30km wide," Mr Higgins said.
"Because the waters are up, the crocs have come out of the billabongs and they're getting to know people's habits. That's when it gets dangerous, especially with the kids walking around."
PHOTOS: Reptiles infiltrate sunken town
Police released a statement yesterday saying they had destroyed the crocodile on advice from the Parks and Wildlife Service, which declared the area too flooded to attempt a capture.
But subsequent reports have quoted locals who claim to have seen the crocodile alive in the waters, a claim that has not been ruled out by police.
But spokespeople for the Wildlife Service and police remain confident it was destroyed, pointing out the sighted crocodile may have been a different animal.
"After being shot it usually takes about three or four days (for the croc) to pop up," a Wildlife Service spokesman told ninemsn.
Mr Higgins agreed: "I think it would be too hard to tell. But usually you know if you've shot them."
The owner of the 120-acre Daly River Mango Farm said he is accustomed to seeing crocodiles measuring up to 5m and usually carries a shotgun to scare them off.
But he typically opts for a "goose shot" rather than a direct aim.
Mr Higgins' property and the community of Nauiyu — where the crocodile was shot — have been completely isolated from the mainland by constant floodwaters since before Christmas.
The only way to leave town is via a 5km boat trip — an inconvenience which draws little publicity because the area is so remote, Mr Higgins believes.
"We like call it the Venice of the Outback," his wife, Rhonda, joked.
"The difference being we don't use gondolas — we just hop on the backs of crocs."

Roo in home
Man wrestles kangaroo in Canberra home
Not a bird, or a plane, but a kangaroo has crashed through the bedroom window of a Canberra family's home before terrorising its unsuspecting occupants.
The family, from the suburb of Garran in Canberra's south, were awoken in the early hours of Sunday when their pet dog began barking from the garden.
Moments later, a kangaroo burst through a three metre high window of the house's master bedroom and onto the bed where Beat Ettlin, his partner Verity Beman and their nine-year-old daughter Beatrix lay.
"My initial thought when I was half awake was: it's a lunatic ninja coming through the window," Mr Ettlin said on Monday.
"It seems about as likely as a kangaroo breaking in."
While the family took refuge under the blankets, the injured animal proceeded to jump on top of them, gouging holes in the furniture and smearing blood all over the walls.
The next thing Mr Ettlin heard was his 10-year-old son Leighton screaming from his bed: "There's a 'roo in my room!'"
"I thought, this can be really dangerous for the whole family now," the 42-year-old said.
A chef, originally from the Swiss city of Stans, Mr Ettlin followed the thrashing and bleeding two metre tall marsupial and wrestled it into a headlock before dragging it down the hallway and out the front door.
Left wearing just his shredded underpants and with scratch marks on his leg and buttocks, Mr Ettlin described himself as "lucky".
"I had just my Bonds undies on. I felt vulnerable," he said.
As quickly as it had come, the kangaroo vanished into a nearby reserve and the family reported the intrusion to police and wildlife authorities.
Ms Beman praised her husband's courage and said she didn't know many men who would go head-to-head with a kangaroo.
"I think he's a hero, a hero in Bonds undies," she said.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 09-Mar-2009 10:30Profile PM Edit Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
My initial thought when I was half awake was: it's a lunatic ninja coming through the window," Mr Ettlin said on Monday.

Mr Ettlin followed the thrashing and bleeding two metre tall marsupial and wrestled it into a headlock before dragging it down the hallway and out the front door.

I'm going to fly down to Australia to personally buy that man a beer.
Post InfoPosted 09-Mar-2009 18:00Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Either that man is lying, or that roo was half dead..
Id be far more scared of a kangaroo than a crocodile. Crocodiles are just big lizards, kangaroos are mental, and can disembowel a man. Id have gone out the window it came through.
Post InfoPosted 09-Mar-2009 18:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Crocodiles are just big lizards

I think you should come to Aust and go up north. Have a look at some of those big lizards.
I have fished the those areas and those lizards are huge biggest I have seen was 18ft. Another time we had to ride out a electrical storm in a tinny (aluminum boat) because crocks on shore every where. Another place I was told NEVER walk two nights in a row along the same path close to the water because the third night will/could be your last walk.
They can drag a person into the water do the death roll and that's it its all over.
The biggest problem they can be just below the surface of a dirty muddy water and you cannot see them at all that is how they stalk they prey.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 10-Mar-2009 02:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Ira
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 181
Votes: 1
male newzealand
Let's see...
Aus has most of the top 10 most venomous snakes...
Most of the top 10 most venomous insects...
Some of the most deadly reptiles...
Droughts...
Forest fires...

Remind me again why anyone would want to live there? I think I'll stay over here in NZ where the deadliest animal is...Hmmm...Actually it's one of you Australian's bugs!
Post InfoPosted 10-Mar-2009 09:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Ira how dare you you forgot our Sharks and our Cricketers

I once heard and I saw the huge boat of a special group of shark divers came to Aust with a specially equipped boat, helicopter on deck etc took one look at our white pointers and never went into the water. May be it had something to do with the area had been burly up for about month and it was close to a huge seal colony.

Believe it or not many deaths have been caused by bee and other insect stings.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 10-Mar-2009 10:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Wait, australia has deadly BUGS too?

How come I only knew about the killer animals, plants, snakes and spiders !!!!!

I saw the roo story on the news, that was a lot of blood

Crocs are plenty scary, but I wish the news would quit spinning it the way they spin shark stories. It's humans invading their territory, there's no reason to have "culls" like they keep calling for on the news. Sharks are already in enough danger from illegal finning thats still going on the entire world over.

For a good documentary try Sharkwater

^_^

Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2009 08:19Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
That is 110% correct Babelfish. You are in their territory and you must respect it. Just because man has decided to live in some of these areas does not give them the right to remove them.
On one fishing trip we saw the same croc twice a day she was protecting her nest we went around her slowly and left her alone and she left us alone. If she wanted to it would not have been hard to attack our boat and put us all in the water.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2009 10:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
If only people thought of snakes like this !
Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2009 02:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
If only people thought of snakes like this !

Hey, if a snake breaks through my window in the middle of the night, I'm putting the thing in a headlock and throwing it out the front door.
Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2009 03:13Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies