AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Off Topic
 L# The Recovery Room
  L# Only in Darwin would this make front page news....
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeOnly in Darwin would this make front page news....
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 196
australia au-northernterritory
Of all the topics that could make front page news like an upcoming federal election, global events or even the uncovering of some conspiracy....
This article was the front page story in our local newspaper today.

I laughed so hard I just had to share.

G_T

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 15-Nov-2007 01:55Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I think only Aussies would understand that at the moment pity his name was not John otherwise it would have made world news.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 15-Nov-2007 03:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california

I like how Australian media refer to people as "ballsy" in their articles. It wasn't a very large crocodile, though... I've caught defensive iguanas bigger than that.

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 15-Nov-2007 06:15Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 187
Votes: 110
female australia au-queensland
Yes the croc wasn't big enough to knock him off his feet by a swish of its tail but if those jaws had clamped on to him, they shut like a vice and then the croc rotates his body so he can chomp a nice big piece of meat off. Little ones are fast too. I think he was very responsible by reporting it to the authorities so some little kid didn't mess with it, but maybe not so smart losing his draws to a croc.
Post InfoPosted 15-Nov-2007 09:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
I think he was very responsible by reporting it to the authorities so some little kid didn't mess with it

Natural selection, baby.
Post InfoPosted 15-Nov-2007 14:09Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
exactly.
they're bloody native, arent they? let them be, stop catching them because YOU moved into THEIR territory.
hmph.
Post InfoPosted 15-Nov-2007 18:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa

Great title, "Crocodile Undie."
Post InfoPosted 15-Nov-2007 23:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Good point that people keep forgetting that just because they can build into an area it doesn't always mean it's been humanized.

Least he didnt kill it!

What I want to know, is what he was wearing when everyone else showed up .

I didnt get to see a single croc, or cassawary when we were up in the cape trib daintree area. We saw plenty of signs though

^_^

Post InfoPosted 15-Nov-2007 23:31Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by Callatya
tehehe!

"Suffer in my jocks!"

It is a bit hypocritical to say leave it alone when we are all here because we keep largely non-native things in glass boxes or enclosures, isn't it? Not much respect for territory in that, it is simply a matter of size, intelligence and desire. Selecting things for our viewing pleasure is surely more worthy of disdain than shifting something to a suitable habitat away from humans. I think, given its size, it may well have been in danger itself had it stayed there. Small enough (and probably tired enough) for an unskilled human to take on, big enough to be some macho trophy.
Besides, there'd good eating in a croc. If you go the natural route, he should be eaten by the better predator. Not really the fittest if he ended up in a tide pool and let some bloke stick his knickers on him.

Glad he wasn't trophied or eaten though, he's very very cute

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 16-Nov-2007 17:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
It is a bit hypocritical to say leave it alone when we are all here because we keep largely non-native things in glass boxes or enclosures, isn't it?

Native animals are more important than non-native animals.
Post InfoPosted 16-Nov-2007 18:07Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 196
australia au-northernterritory
EditedEdited by Gone_Troppo
I'm not going to enter into the debate re habitats and humanisation.

Just thought I'd link to a map giving an idea of just how close to suburbia the area where this croc was found is ... Casuarina Beach

G_T

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 16-Nov-2007 18:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
rabbit
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 461
Votes: 7
male australia
EditedEdited by rabbit
would rather some guy throw his undies on it and saving it instead of reading "local boy attacked by crocodile" with the croc resulting in being shot.
Post InfoPosted 20-Nov-2007 17:02Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california

Not really the fittest if he ended up in a tide pool and let some bloke stick his knickers on him.

Yes, probably the only reason it was in the ocean was because it got chased out of the fresh/brackish water it was born in by a much larger croc (this is the preferred habitat of "Saltwater" Crocodile, not pure marine habitats). With so many crocodiles hatching everywhere and not enough freshwater habitats to support them, the majority either get eaten or chased into unfavorable environments by the adults.

If they moved it to a river into another crocodile's territory, it probably immediately got eaten or chased away again. Relocating many species of reptiles into new environments can basically be considered a death sentence for them (I've read reports in the past that found up to 90% mortality rates for newly relocated venomous snakes in the US), but it is often unfortunately the only potentially non-lethal option humans give them.

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 20-Nov-2007 19:49Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
wish-ga

----------
Mega Fish
Dial 1800-Positive-Posts
Kudos: 640
female australia
The following day a follow up story. Copy cat crime.

"Chippendale mauled as undie technique fails to calm audience member".... was a very sad day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~ My fish blow kisses at me all day long ~~~
Post InfoPosted 23-Nov-2007 05:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies