Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAmmonia in tap
tigermom
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 48
Votes: 59
female usa
Well I finally went and got a new test kit and tested my water out of my tap. And got what I expected...I have ammonia in my tap water. I tested twice and still got the same results.

Ammonia- 0.50
nitrite was 0
nitrate- 0 - 5.0

How am I suppose to address this, because I am clueless?

My only guess would be to use things like bio-spira or something to eliminate the ammonia?

Thanks to all that can help

tigermom
Post InfoPosted 04-Oct-2007 07:04Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
There is a USA product called "AMTRITE DOWN" it is an Ammonia/Nitrate Reduction Aerobic Bacteria It is distributed by Biotec Restoration PL.

It will not be on any shelf (if it is DONT TOUCH IT) it must be kept in the fridge.

There is another product Sera Nitrivec which will break down Ammonia.

Good Aeration will help but will not prevent it. Plenty of plants will also assist. You will find that you will have to dose the water at every water change use only as directed. Check with your local LFS to see what they are doing to combat the same problem.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 04-Oct-2007 08:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Aqua_D
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 28
Votes: 1
male usa
Amquel will neutralize the ammonia, chlorine, chloromines, and heavy metals. But really that amount of ammonia isn't that high and a well seasoned tank/filter should have no problem processing it to nitrate long before the fish show any signs of ammonia poisoning. In fact it should pretty much take care of it within minutes.

Present: L183, L114, L330, LDA33, L059, L340, L136, L399, Clown, Whip Tail

Past: L001, L239, L200, L134, L030, L110, L204, L260, LDA08, L226, Ancistrs sp3 albino as well as calico, L187 (sp2), Common Hypostomus punctatus
Post InfoPosted 06-Oct-2007 07:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Carissa
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 37
Votes: 0
I believe that chloramine registers as ammonia too. Make sure you are using a water conditioner that neutralizes both chlorine and chloramine.
Post InfoPosted 06-Oct-2007 19:51Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
tigermom
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 48
Votes: 59
female usa
Thank for all the quick replies,

I've been looking for the Amtrite Down and cant seem to find it, I'm still calling around. I cant seem to find the Sera Nitrivec either, is this on the shelves or in the fridge as well?

I know that I can get amquel and will use that and see if it makes a difference, as far as the water conditioner that I have now,it says that the it neutralizes both.

Thanks for all the replies again, I'm gonna run out to the store and get the amquel and hope that solves my problem...if not... ill be back.

tigermom
Post InfoPosted 07-Oct-2007 02:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Only the Amtrite is in the fridge the Sera product is a shelf product.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 07-Oct-2007 05:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Carissa
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 37
Votes: 0
Actually after further looking into, I think that what happens is that ammonia is produced as a side effect of neutralizing chloramines. I guess there's not much you can do about it unless you can get water from a different source. However, if you add zeolite to your filter it will absorb ammonia as fast as it gets added, and once the good bacteria populate the zeolite, they will convert it into nitrate. So this method will render it harmless without adding any chemicals etc. to your water.
Post InfoPosted 08-Oct-2007 22:14Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Krash7172
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 47
Votes: 3
My first post! Glad I found this forum!!

I recently found in my hard tap water after several tests:

Ammonia - 1.0
Nitrate - 5.0

I don't have an issue with my established tanks with fewer fish but I have trouble when I start to load a tank and need regular water changes. Is there any way to pre-treat ammonia without raising nitrate as the end product?
Post InfoPosted 28-Nov-2007 09:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies