Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCycle Problem....maybe
bagoegg
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 16
Votes: 0
male usa
I set up a 55 about a month ago. I started it by adding some ammonia instead of a couple small fish. After 3 weeks, I still had no nitrite. I did a 95% water change which brought the ammonia down to a trace. I went and got 3 corys. It has now been 15 days and I still done have any nitrite. Am I just being impatient? I have never had an issue with cycling a tank before and am not sure why I am not getting any nitrites. Current tank tests are:

Temp - 79
PH - 7.2
Amm - 6.0 - 7.0
Nit - 0
Nitrate - 0

I put some Ammolock in to help the little fishies. They dont seem to be stressed at all. They are eating normally and are very active. Any ideas on why the nitrites arent showing up would be appreciated. Thank you!

Post InfoPosted 01-Aug-2006 17:34Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
jmara
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 431
Votes: 145
male usa
How are you testing for your levels? Are you using test strips or liquid?

When you were adding the ammonia, were you doing regular water changes?

When you do a fishless cycle, add ammonia and leave it! Don't even bother the tank. Just get the ammonia up to the concentration you want in the water and leave it be for a few weeks. I guess that's a start to the questions.

-Josh
Post InfoPosted 01-Aug-2006 20:24Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
bagoegg
-----
Fingerling
male usa
EditedEdited by bagoegg
I am using an Aquarium Pharm. Master kit. THey are all liquid tests. I just bought this kit and all the tests are within their expirations dates. When I added the ammonia at first I did not do anything to the tank. I just left it. I tested it after 10 days, 14 days, and 20 days and there was no nitrite. Thats when I did the 95% change and got the corys.
Post InfoPosted 01-Aug-2006 20:33Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
jmara
----------
Big Fish
male usa
Well I can honestly say that I'm a little stumped.

After you added the ammonia to cycle, what concentration did your water peak at? It is possible to over-concentrate and it will pretty much stop any bacteria from growing...I did that the first time I attempted a fishless cycle. Other then that I don't know

-Josh
Post InfoPosted 02-Aug-2006 06:24Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
carpe_diem
----------
Fish Addict
*Dreamer*
Kudos: 292
Votes: 51
female australia
it does sound odd that nothing is happening if you added ammonia to the mix.. and now your adding ammolock.
i would suggest putting the cories elsewhere for the moment as they are sensitve and arent recommended for cycling.
Considering you have done a 95% water change this would have definately diluted the ammonia you added. if you wish to continue with the fishless cycle option i recommend adding the ammonia again and leaving the tank alone to do its thing.
if not i recommend buying a few danios or similiar hardier fish depending on what you plan to stock the tank with and cycle it that way.

Truth doesn't always win friends but it influences them
Post InfoPosted 02-Aug-2006 08:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jmara
----------
Big Fish
male usa
I agree with carpe-diem on this one...I would try the fishless cycle again...I don't know why it didn't work but something wasn't right. You do have a filter going, right? I've never fishless cycled anything over a 29 but I couldn't imagine that it would be any different then a 30...

-Josh
Post InfoPosted 02-Aug-2006 09:50Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
Since the suggestion is that you start over, you might
want to read this article:

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article14.html

It is a very comprehensive article on fishless cycling
of any tank.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 02-Aug-2006 16:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
EditedEdited by NowherMan6
... or just add bio-spira with the fish, and buy some established filter media/ mulm from the LFS and add that along with the fish. If you're dead set on fishless cycling then go for it, but there are better ways...

One should always ALWAYS stock slowly no matter what and build up your schools and stock gradually.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 02-Aug-2006 17:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bagoegg
-----
Fingerling
male usa
Thanks for the responses. I tried to get away from the fishless cycle when I did the 95% water change. It brought the ammonia to alomost zero. I got the corys because I didnt want to get something I wasnt going to keep to cycle the tank.
Post InfoPosted 02-Aug-2006 18:22Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
carpe_diem
----------
Fish Addict
*Dreamer*
Kudos: 292
Votes: 51
female australia
That article is quite informative and is definately worth the read

what are you looking at stocking your tank with?
maybe if we can get an idea of this we can advise which would be the hardiest and therefore the best to use to cycle the tank.

i cycled a 55g fishless by adding 'cycle' only. this however took a month.

Truth doesn't always win friends but it influences them
Post InfoPosted 03-Aug-2006 01:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jmara
----------
Big Fish
male usa
How is your tank coming along?

-Josh
Post InfoPosted 07-Aug-2006 04:04Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
bagoegg
-----
Fingerling
male usa
The tank is coming along great. I added some Bio-Spira as advised. Before I added I tested the water again and no nitrite. I added the Bio Spira and tested 24 hours later and nitrites were on the rise. Could of been a strange coincidence but it appears that the bio spira worked. Hopefully in another week or week and a half all will be ok. Thanks to all for your help.
Post InfoPosted 08-Aug-2006 16:18Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies