AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Water Quality
  L# Need Help!!!!!!!!!! Befor I Move!!!!!! Please!!!!
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNeed Help!!!!!!!!!! Befor I Move!!!!!! Please!!!!
oldpro
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 18
Votes: 8
male usa
EditedEdited by oldpro
Ok, I have a 29 gallon tank that’s got a BBA problem in it, and I want to take it down and re-do it. I was wondering if there was a way to reuse the water from the tank without transferring the algae back into the tank. Is there a way to sterilize the water to kill the algae spores?

"I am who I am, and who I am is who I want to be."
-Kasey Carter
Post InfoPosted 05-Nov-2007 23:25Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
Maybe a UV sterilizer, but barring that, nothing I can think of. Boiling it for a while might work, but algae spores are notoriously hardy, and boiling could screw up your chemistry anyway.

Why do you want to reuse the water? If you're trying to save your bacterial culture, the actual water contains very few cells. It's the filter and, even more so, the gravel that contains all the beneficial little buggers.
Post InfoPosted 06-Nov-2007 01:11Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
What joe said .

If you've got a BBA issue it's just going to go with you.

If it's cycling the tank you're worried about grab yourself a bottle of cycle, or Biospira. Keep the filter, and if possible the gravel alive by keeping it wet with a little bit of tank water.

If the BBA is mostly on ornaments and rocks, take the time to scrub them down to get as much off as possible.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 06-Nov-2007 01:38Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
problems with

[link=Algaes]http://www.plantgeek.net/article_viewer.php?
id=9[/link]

I think this might help you in deciding what to do if it was me I would be tempted to start from scratch again.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 06-Nov-2007 04:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by Callatya
Ditch the entire contents & sterilise & start again at the new house. If you can set aside a day to sterilise and move the tank, a 29 gal should be doable.

If no, then move it and treat it on the other side.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 06-Nov-2007 04:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Maddeningdream
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 25
Votes: 1
male usa
i'm with callatya,i just re-do the whole thing.

Est solarus uth mithas,My honor is my life
Post InfoPosted 13-Nov-2007 03:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
are there any fish or live plants in the tank? you might be able to treat the tank with some of the algae removal treatments... they have those fizzing tabs and a liquid...

also i would reccomend a complete stripping and redo if you have nothing in the tank right now or set up a rubbermaid tub for the fish to live in while you sterilize and cycle the tank... most of the fish would be fine just use the same filter media... and make sure you preserve as much of the bacteria in the gravel and filter as possible.

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 19-Nov-2007 01:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies