FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Coldwater, Watergardens, and Ponds
  L# Anyone else tired of saying it?
   L# Pages: 1, 2, 3
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAnyone else tired of saying it?
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 498
Votes: 11
female usa
EditedEdited by Inkling
Okay, in nearly every single post I read on this thread, or post on, it seems like I have to say the following:

"Goldfish really dont belong in a (insert rediculusly small tank size here) tank. They need at least a 55+ gal, but really are ment for ponds, not tanks."

I'm not trying to be mean or anything, it's just starting to bug me a little bit. I love goldies, so I like to help people with them when I can, but I hate feeling like a parrot.

Is there anything we can do to either increase awareness or something? Or perhaps a website that says it for us?

Inkling

Inky
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2006 01:52Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
it gets boring yes, but as a responcible fishkeeper u can't really let it get to you, and dont worry if you dont state it, as others will.

it is kinda imprinted on all newbi fishkeepers minds that goldfish are bowl fish, just a kinda rule in socitey. i guess
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2006 02:19Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
female usa
yes, its just annoying though.

I am contemplating making a goldie website, just so I can start leaving the web addy instead

Also, it is not just that it is embedded into our heads, many of the signs at local petstores give false info (if fish were mammals this would be punnishable by law in some states)

Inkling

Inky
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2006 02:30Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
cherrybarb
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 64
Votes: 10
male usa
Its worse when you work at a pet shop, i deal with these people all the time. I thought dechlorinating the water was more obvious then goldfish cant live in a bowl. I have people asking me all the time how many goldfish can live in a bowl. The best one was when someone asked me if two male bettas really can't live in the same bowl. The name FIGHTING FISH, dosent clue anyone
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2006 02:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
It makes it hard when LFS are the ones giving the bad advice. I suspect this thread may have started because of my recent thread about my stepdaughter's goldfish in small tank. The problem here was that though I gave her advice, the LFS gave contrary advice & insisted all was okay with goldfish in the tank. I'm new to this (still cycling 1st tank), so I guess when she had a choice of accepting 2 different opinions, I can't really blame her for thinking that LFS will know better than me. Because, after all, they should know better than me!! Therefore, a few days after set-up, the 3 goldfish & neons were purchased & I did not know this until after it had all happened. Whilst I have already learnt enough to know she'd made the wrong purchase, I wanted to be able to show her the responses from other people in the forum - so she could see it wasn't just me being negative about her purchase.

There will always be people that "just don't know" the situation with goldfish, so I expect the question will always be asked. It's only by asking, that we learn. Pls don't be upset by dumb questions (although I know it's annoying to repeat yourself again, & again & AGAIN). But to the questionner, it is probably their first hearing. It may make newbies scared to ask further - for fear of annoying someone. I know once I finish cycling & I'm ready to start stocking my tanks, I'll have plenty more dumb questions to come.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2006 03:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
o that remind me to tell you to tell ur "i think step-daughter" not to follow the inch of fish per gallon rule, as her LFS may tell her this, for example a 5 inch oscar would fit in a 5 inch tank, so just remind her that again, her tanks are overstocked and not to always head the advise of that LFS.
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2006 03:34Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
female usa
Cherrybarb- Where you working when the betta/flower pot craze was going on?

Robynj- I didn't start this thread because of you. I started it because it seems like I am saying this about 10 times a day.

Inky
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2006 23:19Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
crazyred
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
LAZY and I don't care :D
Kudos: 360
Votes: 293
female usa
EditedEdited by crazyred
I think it's also ingrained into society....if you ever watch TV notice how many commercials and programs have goldfish in bowls. Look at ads in magazines, even some "reputable" pet websites, continue to show goldfish living in small bowls.

Go to ***Mart and look at the picture on the box for any tank and you'll likely to see several goldfish swimming in there no matter how small that tank is. (Funny, it was a pic of a ton of platies and gouramis on my 55 gallon box though).

Until the message changes in society it's going to coninue to be a problem.

I feel your pain.

~~Melissa~~
"Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder."
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2006 23:46Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
female usa
Oh on the box of my 1gal it shows 3 Swords in a highly planted little tank

Its just not right

Inky
Post InfoPosted 03-Feb-2006 00:00Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
BlackNeonFerret
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 137
Votes: 30
female uk
I know. A boy in my class at school has got four goldfish (two sarrassa commets, 2 callaco fantails) in something like a 10 gal.
Poor, Poor Fish.

Also, on the box of a 10 gal filter, i saw a moonbeam gourami, a male betta, 2 swordtails, and about 10 neon tetras.

BNF
Post InfoPosted 03-Feb-2006 18:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Tanya81
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 419
Votes: 37
female usa
Yeah, what is up with the packaging on fish products??? 2 angels, 2 gold fish in a 5 gallon!! That is completly wrong!!!!!! Even major fish companies do that!!!!

72 gallon bowfront:Tanganyikan Lake set up
75 gallon: A. Baenschi trio,Cyanotilapia Afra Cobwe(4), copadichromis trewavase, protomelas sp. tangerine tiger(breeding pair)
Post InfoPosted 06-Feb-2006 03:11Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
female usa
I saw 3 angels in a 1g on tv.... They looked very sad

Inky
Post InfoPosted 06-Feb-2006 03:16Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
BlackNeonFerret
-----
Enthusiast
female uk
EditedEdited by BlackNeonFerret
I was also REALLY dissapointed with a book i read, partly by the RSPCA. The RSPCA (UK: royal sociaty for the provention of cruelty to animals) recommended this for a 15 US gal:
2-3 Clown Loaches
1 Common Pleco
1 Male Betta
2 Pearl Gourami
2-3 Corys
3 Harlequin Rasboras
2M 2F guppy
5 Cardinal Tetras
3-5 Tiger Barbs
4 Black Ruby Barbs

and i am sure there was something else, but i can't remember.
But, an animal welfare organization

BNF
Post InfoPosted 06-Feb-2006 19:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
crazyred
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
LAZY and I don't care :D
Kudos: 360
Votes: 293
female usa
EditedEdited by crazyred
OMG...way overstocked for a 15 G.

~~Melissa~~
"Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder."
Post InfoPosted 06-Feb-2006 19:28Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
the fact is that most people dont know what half of the fish are and sizes,

also most new fishkeepers will stock their tanks on the current size of the fish, so it would kinda make sence that a 1 inch goldfish would fit in a 1 gallon, but they fail to realize the potiental size.

often with arowanas,oscars,goldfish, clown loaches are often stuffed into small tanks.
Post InfoPosted 06-Feb-2006 23:26Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
female usa
Its just so sad and annoying

Inky
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2006 05:13Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
BlackNeonFerret
-----
Enthusiast
female uk
Agreed Inkling!

I mean, in my 15 i have 5 Corys, 2 Cherry Barbs, 2 Male platies...i asked everyone here first, and it is still a little overstocked. But i mean, at my LFS, Red-Tailed Catfish (i mean the HUGE ones) "grow to 60 cm/24ins" and common plecs grow to "30cm/24ins"
and don't even let me get started on the rest of the fish...
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2006 18:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
female usa
Many people thought my 10-15 gal was overstocked when I had:

3x Plattys
2x Zebra Danios
?x Molly/guppy fry

and wanted to add a bottom feeder.

Everyone has a different idea of what over/under stocked is, but sometimes it is just rediculus. I think stores should post min. tank requirements along with the fish, and not modified ones either (A common pleco/goldfish/many other fish WILL get larger then 8') If the store chooses to list potential tankmates, thats good, as long as they do it correctly. (I would NOT recommend a Dragon Fish in a livebearer tank) It doesnt help that many people have the attitude of "its just a fish"

Unfortunatly, it all goes down to awareness and research.

Inky
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2006 19:13Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
BlackNeonFerret
-----
Enthusiast
female uk
I know exactly what you mean. The people at my LFS actually TELL you how to acclimatise and stuff, and DO NOT PUT THE FISH IN THE TANK. And they do it correctly, it is just the labels that are wrong.

Lots of my friends have the "just a fish" attitude, and can't understand why i love fish so much.

I also agree. I mean, i don't actually think that my 15 will be overstocked, but i think the reccomendations for a 10, (3-4 Corys, 6 Tetras, 1 Gourami, 2 Ottos) is way overstocked.

But i suppose that everyone has a different oppinion
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2006 19:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
female usa
It also depends on your specific fish. All fish have different personalities. My 2 Danios for instince "belong in groups of six or more." They kill any other danios that I add to the tank, and some fish are like that.

I also had female bettas that were very territorial (almost like my Zebra Chichlids) I had to take them out of my community tank because they would chase down everything.... Point is, some fish are nice and some arnt. It would be like saying all collie dogs are nice because lassie is...... thats my opinion anyway.

Inky
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2006 19:46Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies