SubscribeAll Australian Fishkeepers Must Read This
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
IF you intend to do that, be aware that forums are a pretty good way to be able to locate people.

If you happen to have fish that you intend to keep hush hush regardless of the law, don't go broadcasting it, mmkay?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 24-Oct-2008 15:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
so does anyone have a idea when this is guna happen.
Post InfoPosted 25-Oct-2008 03:59Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 196
australia au-northernterritory
I didn't get a chance to make any calls yesterday. I'll try again on Monday

G_T

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 25-Oct-2008 04:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Bubblebrain
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 39
Votes: 22
male australia
apparently someone phoned the dpi (department of primary industries) and they said it won't be in effect till january 2009 and there will be stuff sent out to shops and on tv

hi
woot woot woot woot woot woot
Post InfoPosted 30-Oct-2008 12:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Ok, as in the elodea thing? It'll be a done deal by that point?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 30-Oct-2008 13:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
Post InfoPosted 02-Nov-2008 04:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Here is your culprit for all the bannings!

Post InfoPosted 02-Nov-2008 22:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
EditedEdited by Callatya
Ahh, but I think a line could be drawn between officially released 'biological controls' and stuff that gets loose from hobbyists. I could cop to red eared sliders being a hobbyist problem, for example. They let the cane toads loose in numbers with both genders, same with gambusia. Anyone who lets most of those listed fish loose is very unlikely to have a pair and even if they do, there's a decent chance that one or both won't be in a position to survive and breed.

Post InfoPosted 03-Nov-2008 04:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
It's not entirely out of the question that hobbyist-released fish could become a problem. In the US we have some big problems with released snakeheads, and in Florida you can't count both hands how many exotics have established themselves.

><>
Post InfoPosted 03-Nov-2008 07:39Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
EditedEdited by Callatya
Oh for sure, but with the price of these fish even as it stands now, you'd have to have rocks in your head to release one, let alone a pair or a bundle of offspring.

With most of the listed fish (and many more that aren't listed), even a single specimen could be bad in the wrong place, its just that it is a whole different scale of bad to something that has been released with the intention of having it reproduce in quantity, as was the case with the cane toad.

Post InfoPosted 03-Nov-2008 11:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
its a rational fear to want to create bans on many of the fish that are currently in trade, however that ban will slow some trade elements and can cause even more problems (like people dumping fish to spite the government) or people who hae fish illegally dumping to get rid of the evidence incase some officer threatens or there is an suspicious fear. the governement could insted ban all sale/trade of female fish(or other aquatic animals) and rather just sell males because they cannot reproduce on their own and will end up dying or eaten.

also however tragic it may be i would just keep my yapper closed (if i was in AUS) about my plant to mass breed some potentially noxious fish because i am sure that forums would be a great place to unearth secret breeders, so watch your wording in the future should this act pass.

So sorry to hear that the government is threatening you aquatic pets!

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 04-Nov-2008 03:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
EditedEdited by hokese
its a bad move i think,i cant stand the idea,but i can see where the government is coming from!i also red that in florida,u.s.a,there was a natral lake,that had fire head cichlids living in there,and some fool let the terminator of the fish world go into that lake,the flowerhorns!so you can geuss what happened next,they had just about killed and eaten everthing thing they could,and being such a great parent,the lake was bred out by flowerhorns with in months,the last i red about the problem,the lake was being dragged to rid it of flowerhorns,and the firehead cichlids were being put back in there to correct things again...and put it back the way it was meant to be!also with regards to people letting go exotics,expensive,or really aggrresive fish,it does happen often,even more so if the person dosent have extra tanks to move the fish,the nasty fish or expensive exotic,soon becomes a unwanted pest for beatin up its tankmates,so they are left with a choice,get rid of the exotic or all my other fish,thus the lazy fool/owner throws the fish to the local water,or flushes it down the toilet and bang,next thing,there wiping out native wildlife.....then b4 you know it,the nice exotic has localy become a major pest....more money than common sense!i just cant see why they do it,if a fish dosent work out for me,i ether move it,or whip in mt divider,ring 1 of 4 lfs i deal with,let them no im coming and off i go,to take it back,exchange,store credit,whateva,anything id better than flushing it or dumping it in loacl creeks,waterways....atleast i can say in all my years of keeping fish,I NEVER LET ANY GO INTO WATERWAYS OR FLUSHED EM,AND I NEVER WILL.
Post InfoPosted 04-Nov-2008 05:00Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Next time you take something back to the LFS, ask them to give you some grammer lessons along with that credit note
Post InfoPosted 05-Nov-2008 22:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Bubblebrain
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 39
Votes: 22
male australia
EditedEdited by bubblebrain
Here is your culprit for all the bannings!

i think the culprit is trout.

i think that instead of banning these fish, they should put taxes on the cheaper species, such as red devils.

hi
woot woot woot woot woot woot
Post InfoPosted 06-Nov-2008 12:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies