L# Pages: 1, 2
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBetta Buddie???
bettadude
Fingerling
Kudos: 15
Votes: 3
usa
hey wat type of fish go best with betta's? cuz i am gettin a bigger tank soon and i want to have more then 1 fish in it.... so plz reply!! ty

experience is something you dont get until right after you need it
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2009 21:33Profile PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
many things will do fine with a betta.

neon or cardinal tetras
platies
mollies
cories
endlers
khulie loaches
some shrimp species
and some other docile and small species.

it would be better if you went to your LFS and saw potential fish you like and we could tell you whether they will work with the tank and the betta. for the most part most fish will work... so long as they are not nippy, long finned, or agressive...

-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2009 00:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 03-Jan-2009 00:12
This post has been deleted
bettadude
Fingerling
usa
ok thank u brandon i will look at those types of fish rite away

Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2009 01:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I have just answered this same question in another topic.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2009 04:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
HOW big of a tank?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2009 11:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bettadude
Fingerling
usa
a 10 gallon

Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2009 17:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
well i wouldn't do mollys or platies cuz they tend to be colorful and the bettas will take that as a threat and will kill them i have seen it happen before. the tetras might work but a schoal of them will stress out the betta and he might try to kill them if it looks like a big colorful fish.

Catfish and shrimp are really the best to keep bettas with. the reason i say this is because they arnt gona mess with the betta and the betta wont take it as a threat.
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2009 20:08Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
hey, i know keith answered this question for another topic that i posted on using a betta in my livebearers tank to thin out the fry numbers.my question now is would it be ok to keep the betta in a bowl and put him in when the fry numbers get to be to much, or would it be a bad idea to move him back and forth from a betta bowl to a ten gallon tank?
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2009 02:19Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
If you do the water changes using water from the 10gal tank, so the parameters stay very similar, you can do it. They take about 2 weeks to settle into new territory though, so expect him to be quite stressy for a while when he moves (not necessarily a bad thing, depends on the fish)

There is no guarantee he'll eat fry either.

What sort of fish do you like? what sort of colours/shapes?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2009 04:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
it was a guppy tank that im using to breed for oscar feeders.i just don want to be overrun by fry, last time when i did this years ago i had over 500 fry.it was a horror show
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2009 04:55Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
bettadude
Fingerling
usa
EditedEdited by bettadude
would bettas be okay with micky mouse platys, dalmation sailfin mollys, silver tip tetras, boesemani rainbows, veiled angelfish,red blond guppies, cherry barb, dawrf gourami, or blue neon guppies?? plz let me no wat of these fish if any r okay with a male betta. o nd the tank will be about 50 gallons (getting tank on my b-day... 20 DAYS TOGO )

Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2009 04:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
Hi Betta,
I was told the betta and the angelfish will not be friends. In fact they will kill each other. You can double check with someone else, but that's what I was told... The betta will be jealous of the flashy angels, and it will be on!

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2009 06:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
It would probably be the other way around. Angels look awfully peaceful, but at the bottom of it all they are territorial nippy buggers with no regard for personal space It would depend on the size and temperament of the angel and the betta though, but I suspect that even if the betta was the instigator, it would be worse off at the end of the day.

I'd be a bit worried about the silver tips having a nip at the betta, same with the angels and maybe even the gourami. I'm unsure about rainbows as I've never kept them. The rest should be ok IF you have a large enough tank (50 is tons) with enough hiding spaces (lots of plants and rocks to help mark territories), as the betta might have a nip at the guppy tails. Generally they have better things to do though

Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2009 14:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bettadude
Fingerling
usa
okay thnx for the info. so the micky mouse platys, dalmation sailfin mollys, cherrybarbs, and guppies(with enought room) would be okay?

Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2009 17:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
I wouldnt put any kind of barbs with a betta.
I also wouldnt waste a 50g on livebearers though.
Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2009 18:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Jouerviolin
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 0
male usa
Can any type of molly be compatible with a betta? I was looking at some cool looking tattoo mollies that would be quite nice to have in a dorm of mine. Maybe about 3, with one betta.
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2009 22:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
what do the tattoo mollies look like? its possible that these are genetically or artificially modified. I would suggest not buying them and complaining to your LFS for buying them. Usually they are injected with colors or etched with lasers which can be hazardous to the fish health as well as to bringing diseas into the tanks an promoting animal (in this case fish) cruelty just for an aesthetic.

and no i would not reccomend them or sailfin/balloon/lyretail mollies with a betta.

Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2009 02:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Jouerviolin
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 0
male usa
Yeah, after some more research, I saw how badly those fish are handled. Anyways, I've thought about some tetras now, but after I get my betta settled into it's new home and the tank stabilizes.
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2009 20:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
tetras are great with bettas given they are smaller and less aggressive as some species are much more aggressive and can be nipp similar to some barbs. I would say stick to smaller species (cardinals, rummynose,etc) as they will be most tolerant and your betta will be more tolerant of them as well.

-Brandon

Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2009 21:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies