AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Planted Aquaria
  L# 12 Gallon Sand Bottom Planted Setup
   L# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe12 Gallon Sand Bottom Planted Setup
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
"Don't take offense (and remember who is talking), but now the land mass looks like a big blob and way to solid in its vertial arrangement" - Boy, if I only knew how to spell

Anyway, I liked it better when it was more like the one below, although that one has some minor problems as well, in particular too sharp of an edge between sand and "land".

For me, the main advantage of that arrangement is an almost 360 degree visual experience, as one is inclined to turn to the sides of the tank to see what is behind that rock. Now, on the other hand, it is obvious on what is behind there - more rock.

Ingo

Attached Image:

Earlier Tank

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 29-Aug-2006 13:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 1074
male usa
For me, the main advantage of that arrangement is an almost 360 degree visual experience, as one is inclined to turn to the sides of the tank to see what is behind that rock

I'll tell you what's behind the rock. GSA , cause I can't reach it and my otos have been moved out.
I think I'm gonna throw my apistos into the 72. I like the shrimp crawling and cleaning the rugged terrain.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 29-Aug-2006 13:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Instead of individually dosing this tank and since it's evaporation is high due to the open top I think I'm going to just top off with water from my 72g, which would probably be twice a week. This will the tank will get traces of everything, but not in large quantities. I guess I might still want to dose excel. What do you guys thing of this plan.

I'm really at a lose fiquring out moss. I really don't think it needs much in terms of ferts. Sometimes it looks great other times it looks "dusty" and not really alive.
The tank has pretty good flow from the aquaclear 20.
It looked it's best when the crs will roaming the place.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 29-Aug-2006 16:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
It looked it's best when the crs will roaming the place.

I concur.

I don't think apistos are suited to this environment as well. They're a type of fish where you make everything as jungle like as possible and let them sort their way through it - this is a minimalist type set up, just rock and moss, and benefits from having small, peaceful fish and shrimp. In addition, the larger size of the male apisto throws off the perspective a bit - without him it looks like a real mountain range - his presence gives away the size of the rocks.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 29-Aug-2006 17:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
In terms of ferts for your tank.

I am doing similar thigns with my 2G Hex. Every week during the water chages I save out about a gallon that I use for a water change in the hex. 90% of my plant mass is Java moss and it seems to be doing just fine this way. Every once in a while I will give it a dip of Excel.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 29-Aug-2006 17:15Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
I don't think apistos are suited to this environment as well. They're a type of fish where you make everything as jungle like as possible and let them sort their way through it - this is a minimalist type set up, just rock and moss, and benefits from having small, peaceful fish and shrimp. In addition, the larger size of the male apisto throws off the perspective a bit - without him it looks like a real mountain range - his presence gives away the size of the rocks.

What about the old scape vs the new. Do you see the eventual melting of the rock into the range?

Sounds good wings

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 29-Aug-2006 17:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
I definetely see what you're trying to do. I think the rock on the left needs to get good and fluffy, same as the one behind it. Right now there's too much skin showing, so to speak... It's a different look altogether, the identity of the last one was the rock itself as the mountain surrounded by jungle, like an aerial view - this one could very well be a scene from that scape - a close-up view of that mountain, zooming in on one section where a bare piece of stone juts out from an overgrown mossy area.

At least that's what I see... I could very well be delusional from wokring nearly 40 hrs in the past 2 days...

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 29-Aug-2006 18:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
...a close-up view of that mountain...
That is probably why I liked the old one better. It appeared to be more scape, a whole mountain vs. a wall on a mountain.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 29-Aug-2006 18:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
O.K is it LF or LP? Which do you prefer.
I guess I'll have to come up with a plant name. I'm really not an "Ulimate Fish Guru".

Anyway based on the last two comments. I think Nowher is with the program and LF or LP is not buying it. Anyway I respect both of your comments. That's the fun thing about planted tanks, everyone sees something different.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 29-Aug-2006 19:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
O.K is it LF or LP?
I don't know which it is. I like little fishies and I am just a little planter. But I guess I will have to come up with something else as well, this one was added as soon as the option became available.

But if in doubt, I am LF and will always stay LF

And - given that I am not Mr. Nano, I would say that NowherMan6's advice has more weight.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 29-Aug-2006 20:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
EditedEdited by Wingsdlc
BTW.... I forgot to add a while back that your male is looking really sharp. Great fish!

I really don't know where I stand on the new look any more...umm just put me on the fence until my but hurts!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 29-Aug-2006 20:27Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
I forgot to add a while back that your male is looking really sharp. Great fish!

A Belated thanks Wings!

Anyway here's a current shot. First the female. I'm still not sure if this one's gonna make it. The pinched stomach that I suspected as an internal problem as been second my Bensaf . I've been treating with metro for a few weeks now every other day 1/2 dose. I recently increased to full dose. In my estimate, she looks the same. LF I see what ou mean about the elongated body. Mind defintely is more slender throughout while your cac females have some bulkiness to the body behind the head.

Attached Image:

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 02-Sep-2006 21:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
The male is looking good as always:

Attached Image:

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 02-Sep-2006 21:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
tetratech,

Glad you see the difference, but sadly do I see whay you mean when you talk about her seeming to be sick. There is a real dent in her belly and it appears worse than in an earlier picture.

Does she eat? How is her poop?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 02-Sep-2006 22:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Does she eat? How is her poop?

She eats fine and her poop looks normal. I guess I'll continue with the Metro treatment.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2006 03:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Now I am purely guessing:

How would a female look after she lad her eggs? Can it be that the sudden disposal of eggs causes an indented stomach because the volume of the fish has been reduced?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2006 12:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Nice thought LF, but I doubt it. I looked at pics from day 1 and the pinched belly was there, somehow I missed it at the LFS . I've had them a month already.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2006 12:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Hm,

Even with the knowledge that internal parasites vary in duration until a fish succumbs to it, a month of visible signs for such a small fish is a very long time. What do you think about that?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2006 12:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Even with the knowledge that internal parasites vary in duration until a fish succumbs to it, a month of visible signs for such a small fish is a very long time. What do you think about that?

Well, this is where my knowledgable falls short. I'm no "Ulimate Fish Guru" am more like a "Planted Tank Geek with an Attitude"

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2006 13:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by TankWatcher
tetratch, I think these things can be very slow acting. I have seen the same thing in my male cac ever since I bought him, but it is only since Friday that I thought he acted sick.

I think these internal parasites can be slow acting & by the time the fish act sick, it is too late. That's what I'm hearing from an apisto site I visited too. So, it's probably good that you are treating sooner, rather than later.

I'm currently treating 2 of my males too, but in at least one of them, I fear I it is too little, too late.

Good luck.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2006 13:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
tetratech - That is why you have to post more. This way you will be able to change your title

Anyway: You guys make me a little worried and I am wondering if it would be a good idea to treat mine, just in case. In gernal, I am not to wild about overmedication, or medication if there is no visible need. But then again, once it is visible it may be too late.

Did you try peas or something along that line?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2006 13:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
tetratech - That is why you have to post more. This way you will be able to change your title

What I don't post enough to change my title?

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2006 17:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
What I don't post enough to change my title?
- Well - No -

Do you remember a long time ago I was just surpassing you around the 3000 post mark. In the meantime you added about 850 posts while I added about 2,200

That is almost 3 times as much

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2006 23:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Do you remember a long time ago I was just surpassing you around the 3000 post mark. In the meantime you added about 850 posts while I added about 2,200
I don't get it, so what parmeters are needed?

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2006 23:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
You guys make me a little worried and I am wondering if it would be a good idea to treat mine, just in case.
Probably not, unless you see some mishapped belly or not natural behavour. In hindsight, I could say both gave me early indicators- the cac had the underbelly that didn't look quite right right from the get go & the bita just didn't behave right - hiding, scared even of food - although he would eventually come out & eat - but scared of the food actually being put in the tank. Then of course for at least 6-8 weeks that scale being pushed outwards & I foolishly did nothing all this time.

I am far from an expert & I think that I might consider the "just in case treatment" but that's just 'cause I'm now spooked. If yours have good body shapes, eat well, interact as expected, it may not be good to over medicate -same as it isn't good for humans to over medicate.

Anywho, that's just my 2 cents.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 04-Sep-2006 00:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Well it's been a while, so here's a current pic. This tank continues to be very low maintenance. Now that it's all java moss I've completed stopped dosing the tank with the exception of about a 20% or so water change once a week in which I mix in tap and water from the 72g.

I've been playing around with the tank abit. Notice the change.

Attached Image:

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 23-Sep-2006 02:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
Uhm...I don't know how I missed this thread for so long. Sorry tetratech. I do think your mountain is starting to compete dramatic wise with the glossofalls. Actually it's probably moreso. The rocks take up more than 1/3 of the tank.

I think it's 5K posts. Something I'll reach in another 5 years.

Notice the change.

Hmm...the pic shrank? *squints* looks like there's a couple sticks over there with poofballs on the end...shishkabob? I don't know how I feel about the shishkabobs, but I like the rock structure. It will continue looking better as the moss fills in more. Complete 180 from where the tank started.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 23-Sep-2006 03:34Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I had to swear a FP oath not to give away what it taked to reach the next level , but Matty is pretty close with his assumption.
shishkabob?

To me it looks more like a palm tree on the beach, as can be seen on tropical islands. Nevertheless, it may be pushing the "immitation of nature" just a little too far. Otherwise it looks very nice, although the moss seems to be on the edge of needing a trimming in the front section.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 23-Sep-2006 13:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
shishkabob

No more pictures for you!!!!

As I said I was just playing around with the tank. I like LF's palm tree view much better...

I java moss does need a trim also this tank is really ideal for shrimps to be crawling around the moss. I'm not sure if the apistos will eat the amanos. The rams and rainbows don't bother them in the 72g, but as you know the apistos ate my crs. This is also smaller quarters so the amanos might become food as well.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 23-Sep-2006 13:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Yeah,

I have the same fears about shrimpsters and Apistos, in particular the males may try to take a bite. And with no claws to defend themselves, why not try to enjoy a few shrimp legs at least? Too risky for me, at $5 per Amano.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 23-Sep-2006 14:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Well I haven't given up on the twigs yet. BTW these were the sticks that were in the 72g and LF mentioned something about crushed crab legs now I get shishkabob from Matty. You guys are really making me hungry. Any I moved the sticks to the other side on an angle that to me anyway works well with the rock formation.

Anyway here it is:

Attached Image:

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 25-Sep-2006 03:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
This probably won't be appetizing, but now it looks like ET's hand, only brown. Or it could be the hand of that monkey you guys are always talking about around this tank....I never did get that.

I do like it a bit more on this side than the other. I think alone those sticks will look a bit out of place. I think you need a few more, then either bunch them up somewhere so it looks more substantial, or ahve them seperate in a few different places, so it doesn't look so out of place. Just my opinion there. I'm not the aquascaper of the group.

Post InfoPosted 25-Sep-2006 03:50Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I have to say that I agree with Matty, although I am not the aquascaper of the group either.

If you really would like to use some twigs in the tank, maybe the solution would be to use more of them.

Or maybe have the completely covered in moss and let them stick out from the land into the sea (=sand) in an angle of less than 45 degrees.

Otherwise, the tank looks very nice, of course

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 25-Sep-2006 15:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Alright tetra, you are back in action lets see some updates on your tanks!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 03-Nov-2006 15:13Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Alright tetra, you are back in action lets see some updates on your tanks!

And have it scrunitized by all the nitpickers here. I don't think I can handle that.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 03-Nov-2006 17:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
And have it scrunitized by all the nitpickers here. I don't think I can handle that.
What Nitpickers Where

What else is there to do? Once a tank gets pretty good then all that is left is nitpicking. Or would you like to read "nice tank" in every entry that I make?

In that case:

Nice Tank, tetratech

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 03-Nov-2006 17:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
What else is there to do?

Make more tanks?

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 03-Nov-2006 19:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor

He said that like he isn't one of those nit-pickers

Post InfoPosted 03-Nov-2006 20:14Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TankWatcher
We need an update tetratech, please. More pictures - you know I won't nitpick.

One day, when I know more, have more confidence, I will nitpick with the best of them - but for now, only curiosity from me

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2006 00:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies