Subscribe55 gal Log
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
Kudos: 88
Votes: 73
male usa
I would also like to know lioness. I have only 3 Panda Cories left out of like 10. I would like to try a different species of cory.

Thanks for your input as always, Shane
http://thetanklog.blogspot.com/ - [ Thanks to ScottF ]
http://www.natureaquariumclubofutah.com/main.html
Post InfoPosted 02-Aug-2007 22:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lioness
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 55
female usa
Sorry to hear about your cories... I am by no means the cory expert around here but here are a few ideas.

Mine are Paleatus (common pepper variety) and the tank stays ambiently around 78-80. This is on the high end for a cory but I can't keep the tank any cooler without a chiller during this summer heat. Too much heat is hard on cories, I think I read somewhere that it damages their slime coat. My tank was over 90 when a cory kicked the bucket and I had been gone a few days so have no idea how long it was like that.

Being bottom sifters, cories are the first to be affected by any mulm building up or other nasties in the substrate. Some species of cory are very delicate about this. Pandas are notorious. They need very regular gravel vacs. Another problem with being a bottom sifter is food. Are they getting enough? Sometimes just leftovers are not sufficient. Also, what kind of substrate do you have? Sharp gravel will tear up their whiskers, it could run their systems down and make them sick. Don't know if that in itself is enough to kill them.

So far my experience with my cories is that they are very tolerant of water chemistry. They were the first fish in the tank and have thrived since day one.

I'm sorry you are having bad luck! Any ideas what could be wrong?
Post InfoPosted 03-Aug-2007 06:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
Kudos: 88
Votes: 73
male usa
Lioness

Also, what kind of substrate do you have? Sharp gravel will tear up their whiskers, it could run their systems down and make them sick. Don't know if that in itself is enough to kill them.

I have peasized gravel in the aquarium. It is not sharp at all and i have some smooth larger rocks, i have some slate and i have some Petrified wood also, none seem to damage the cories.

Being bottom sifters, cories are the first to be affected by any mulm building up or other nasties in the substrate. Some species of cory are very delicate about this. Pandas are notorious. They need very regular gravel vacs. Another problem with being a bottom sifter is food. Are they getting enough? Sometimes just leftovers are not sufficient.

I Add Alage wafers every other day and my omother in law adds the odd piece of Zukini now and then also. I also add frozen brine shrimp every now and then as a treat.

I have also added an extra tube to my intake so that its at the bottom of the tank. I gravel vac 1/4 of the tank each week.

Thanks for your input as always, Shane
http://thetanklog.blogspot.com/ - [ Thanks to ScottF ]
http://www.natureaquariumclubofutah.com/main.html
Post InfoPosted 03-Aug-2007 07:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lioness
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 55
female usa
There are so many variables that could be causing your problem. Maybe something as simple as a weak batch of fish. Or they could have been carrying a disease. You need to think about things such as: how soon after purchase did they die? Did all die at once or was it gradual? Are other species affected? What symptoms did they display prior to death? Were any other factors changed around the time of death? New fish/filter change/new decor/etc...

I'm sorry but this is a bit off topic and I don't have all the answers for you. Try a post with all this information in the Hospital or maybe the Bottom Feeders board. Your questions will get a lot more attention there. I hope your remaining cories are doing good, don't give up!
Post InfoPosted 03-Aug-2007 16:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies