AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Planted Aquaria
  L# LITTLE_FISH 40G Breeder Log
   L# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeLITTLE_FISH 40G Breeder Log
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 1074
male usa
I'm confused Where these the same "radioactive" pieces that where shown in the pic at ADG? If yes, why aren't they arranged the same way?

I think it looks pretty good the way it is. I saw your other tanks thru this one and got FRE (Fish Room Envy)

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 10-Jun-2006 21:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
I am confused, too.

No, seriously. Here are the reasons:

- The pictures radioactive pieces where creating a lenght that is longer than the tank.
- The pieces looked great from one side (the pictured one), but my tank has two.
- It would have created too many falling over pieces (like in my first try to add them to the tank).

Onwards:

The first batch of plants is in, the Star Grass on the left (hard to miss in an otherwise unplanted tank)

Attached Image:

First Plant Group

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 10-Jun-2006 21:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Here is now a closer look at that group only. As I said, this is not intended as the permanent setup, just to get the tank started.

And tetratech, my invitation to you and your family to come and visit the fishroom is still open

Ingo

Attached Image:

First Plant Group Close-Up

Post InfoPosted 10-Jun-2006 21:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Ok,

Here comes the series of the last 3 pictures for now. It begins with a shot after the second group has been planted, Hyrgo angustifolia.

Not quite as pretty, but for sure a fast grower.

Attached Image:

Second Group is In

Post InfoPosted 10-Jun-2006 22:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Next and currently last plant that was added was some Wisteria clippings, for good measure.

Here is the tank from the back side, I find it not all that easy to remember that I have to look at so many angles to see if the tank is planted nicely.

Attached Image:

Last From Back

Post InfoPosted 10-Jun-2006 22:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
And the last shot is the full tank from the main view.

So, this all took about 8 hours

Now I have to go and trim and water change the big tank, I guess I will be tired today.

Have fun, and let me know what you think,

Ingo

Attached Image:

Main View, All Planted

Post InfoPosted 10-Jun-2006 23:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
blazeybird
-----
Banned
Kudos: 24
Votes: 2
male usa
you lucky, looks amazing.... I whant to see a pic of your 125 /:'

Post InfoPosted 11-Jun-2006 02:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Thanks for the comment, blazeybird

You want to see a picture of my 125G, well have a look at This Log. This should supply enough pictures for you

About the tank:

I haven't done anything else since the last post, except that I added micros a few hours after the macros. This way, the plants should have everything they need to grow. I also decided to turn the lihts on only for 7 hours per day, at least for the first week. Then I will go and gradually lengthen the period, 1 additional hour per week. Sounds good to you, folks?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 11-Jun-2006 12:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
Wow Ingo, you have been a very busy boy. It is looking really great. I love how your star grass looks so bright & green against the dark substrate & wood.

Looking very good.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 11-Jun-2006 15:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
EditedEdited by tetratech
Welcome to the "Darkside"

As tankwatcher said, don't the plants pop out more with the dark substrate and background. I can't comment on the scape because I know it's temporary. I would keep adding as much as you can until the biofilter get's established fully and don't add any or maybe two small fish. The plants and eco alone will establish the tank. Keep that waste away from the light. Let's keep those algae spores in "sleep mode"

BTW - How do you like the eco. How is the grain size. Mostly small like sand or larger like gravel? I don't have Frank's list to read from

EDIT: And tetratech, my invitation to you and your family to come and visit the fishroom is still open

Might take you up on that some day especially if you have extra wood and apisto fry

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 11-Jun-2006 16:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Thanks for the input to both of you

As Robyn said, the dark substrate really makes the light green of the Star Grass shine more than the gravel in the big tank. This is also an effect that I hope to achieve with Hair Grass that I plan to have in the future.

tetratech - So far, I love the Eco. I had no idea that planting stems can be so easy. The grain size is really small, probably like Bensaf's pool sand.

In the beginning I am not planning on adding any fish, this way I have less of an issue with maybe redoing one or the other hardscape element, but only if I have to.

As of this morning, the tank is still whitish cloudy, similar to how my 29G was when first set up. That should go away within a few days, we will see.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 11-Jun-2006 16:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
tetratech - So far, I love the Eco. I had no idea that planting stems can be so easy. The grain size is really small, probably like Bensaf's pool sand.

Glad you like. Yeah the stem plants hold easily even one at a time. The only plant that is hard to hold is the aromatica. It's stem is too thick to have enough of the substrate collapse around it so I have to plant them by hand and dig them deep.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 11-Jun-2006 16:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
The only downside I have discovered so far is that the substrate is easily disturbed when water is added to the tank. Being accustomed to some resistance when pouring water in, I made a big dent in the substrate when filling the tank for the first time. And that was even after I let the water run over my hand. When I filled the tank for the second time I decided to let the water run into a tubberware container first. That worked much better.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 11-Jun-2006 16:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Before I got my python, I always refilled my tanks with 1 gallon jugs stored under my tank. I would always pour the water over the plastic jug top (typical bottled water jugs) and let it spray around. With the python I just refill a slowly over the wisteria. Your new tank is shorter and has more eco exposed as of now. Eventuallly you'll have more plants as well.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 11-Jun-2006 17:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I guess your statement validates my experience, thanks tetratech. Yeah, one day I will have more plants, hopefully sooner than later.

BTW, did you see my ligh comment in my weekly tank update in my 125G log? I wonder what you think

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 11-Jun-2006 17:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Ok,

Here are a few more pictures from the tank as of around noon today. The water is still pretty cloudy, on the pictures you cannot even see the wood on the back part (or front part, depending where you look into the tank from ).

I added one more Star Grass clipping, a few more Hygro stems, and one lousy Bacopa stem.

Here is the main view

Attached Image:

Main View

Post InfoPosted 11-Jun-2006 20:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Here is the second main view, meaning the location where you access the 20QT and can view the 125 through the glass.

The two branches on the right are totally not visible in the previous picture, too cloudy.

Attached Image:

Second Main View

Post InfoPosted 11-Jun-2006 20:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Here is the tank's short side, the one that you see when you enter the basement. I cannot get a head on shot as there is a beam in the way, so semi crocket will have to do.

In this picture you also see the part with the strongest current, in the bottom left side of this end.

Attached Image:

First Short Side

Post InfoPosted 11-Jun-2006 20:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Here is the tank from the other short end, there is the same issue with making head on shots.

As you can see, all equipment is concentrated on the right side, filter in and out, heater, CO2.

Except my high quality thermometer, right tetratech?

Attached Image:

Other Short Side

Post InfoPosted 11-Jun-2006 20:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Here is a close-up of a rock and a wisteria stem. I wish the color of the rock would stay this way and it would not become encrusted with algae. The rock is called picture rock, I write this here so that I don't forget the name.

The Eco really has a very nice color

Attached Image:

Really Close

Post InfoPosted 11-Jun-2006 20:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Here is a close-up of the diffuser in action.

The spray bar is to the left of the picture, vertically. This way, the water rushed around the diffuser and carries its tiny bubbles away to the right and around the tank.

Because of this arrangement I have pretty much ZERO surface agitation. It is pretty hard to even see water move in the tank, if it wouldn't be for the bubbles and the waving leaves.

Attached Image:

Diffuser Bubbles

Post InfoPosted 11-Jun-2006 21:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
An established tank, that would look like this (currently last) picture, would be very pretty, IMHO. If it wouldn't be that the star grass would grow way too fast to hold steady.

That's it for now,

Ingo

Attached Image:

Left (or Right) Tank Half

Post InfoPosted 11-Jun-2006 21:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
blazeybird
-----
Banned
male usa
OMGOSH, I skiped ahead to page like 91, I would be here for a week if I tried to read all 92 pages, your 125 is just AMAZING, I am trying (note I said TRYING) to make both my 10 and 29gall planted but... so far it is only so-so, LOL but I know it will NEVER look THAT good

Post InfoPosted 11-Jun-2006 23:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
blazeybird,

Actually, my tanks don't really look all that good, but I am flattered by your compliment. If you want to read a shorter log of mine, that is even related to one of your tanks, the check This 29G Log. That is my first tank and also my first planted tank. Somehow I never imagined a tank without plants.

Overall, a low tech and low to medium light tank is really not all that hard to maintain, as long as you do your homework first and you are willing to put time (and some spare cash) into the adventure. I would definately encourage you to try out a planted tank, for the benefit of your fishies and the viewing pleasure of all people in the house

Thanks again,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 12-Jun-2006 00:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 1315
male ireland
EditedEdited by bensaf
Here we go again

Looking real good so far.

Either the tank is a lot shorter then I expected or the wood is a bit bigger then I thought.

I don't think there is too much wood - a lot of it will disappear from view with plants. One minor thing I think the rocks are buried too deep. I liked it when they were taller. Don't forget having plants around and in front of them will shave off some of the height. I think the level they are at now they will disappear quickly.

The Stargrass looks real good in there. The hygro does too, but as I'm sure you are aware by now unfortunately that particular plant would be a lot of work in that size tank. Understand that it temporary and at least it gives you an idea of how that particular shape will work. Narrow leaf fern would be the ideal eventual replacement, same shape and coloring but a lot lot less work.

In the long term I'd also work on the height. Having tall plants across the width of the tank will make things look flat. The Stargrass and the Augustifolia are in almost perfect ratio to one another at the moment. You should aim to keep that shape.

Have you decided on a final plant and fish stocking yet ? If you are planning Otto's I'd put them in first - keep the new tank brown algae at bay.

Certainly the small grains of Eco and sand are a joy to work with. They are very easy to plant and at the same time while they keep the plants well anchored it's also very easy to remove plants, they slide out just as easy as they go in.

Bet you forgot to put a small layer of old tank gunk at the bottom ? Works wonders for really getting the bio colony going.

Some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue.

Remember that age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.
Post InfoPosted 12-Jun-2006 04:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 12-Jun-2006 04:33
This post has been deleted
blazeybird
-----
Banned
male usa
Little_fish, im not talking to YOU anymore......
your tanks are TO awsome.....
I would LOVE to put some $$ into it, but I dont get a nice big pay-check,...Im only 14 but allwell, I LOVe being young, and I do A LOT of resurch, so ONE DAY I whant to have a like 250gall with a school of discus, about 45 neon tetra, 45 harlaquin rasbora's, and about 7 Germen blue rams, and like zebra pleco, and/or like 15 panda cories all planted tank....ahhhhh thats my dream tank

Post InfoPosted 12-Jun-2006 04:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
blazeybird - Some simple plants for now should not cost you a fortune, and maybe you can get some clippings from some local folks in your area. And right you are, dreams are meant to be big

Bensaf,
Here we go again
What does that mean?

Well, let me try to break down your helpful entry and answer some of your question:

"tank is a lot shorter then I expected or the wood is a bit bigger" - Yeah, I guess the latter is more likely. I also think that I misinterpreted the size of the wood from the pictures.

"will disappear from view with plants" - I agree, I may go and try to rearrange some branches as time goes on, but before any fishies are added.

"I think the rocks are buried too deep" - Yeah, I can work on that. Lifting then up a tad should not be an issue. Given that all plants are temporary I don't mind changing things around a little.

"Narrow leaf fern would be the ideal eventual replacement" - As you may remember, I have some of that in my 125G, and I almost pulled it out this weekend to add it to this tank. But then I decided to wait until the tank is more settled.

"In the long term I'd also work on the height" - I will, but maybe not as expected. I actually envisioned only a small group at each wood base to be tall, the rest I intend to keep shorter. How I am going to do that has yet to be seen

"Have you decided on a final plant and fish stocking yet ?" - Nothing is decided. Plantwise, I will try to form a base of Anubias Nana on at least one of the wood groups. Some taller leafy plants at the other base (fern), loads of hairgrass or such for most of the ground, an occasional blyxa or crypt, and that should be it. Fishwise - for sure some Otos and maybe a school (espei come to mind, too many in the other tank) and a pair of cichlids, and some shrimpsters.

"Bet you forgot to put a small layer of old tank gunk at the bottom ?" - Not quite forgot about it, but gave it a thought and decided against it. 20QT is under ich treatment, 29G doesn't quite have enough to share, and the 125G is trying to get settled. I just didn't think I could afford removal from any of my tanks. Also, isn't Eco supposed to have life bacteria?

That's it for now, I have to get ready to go to work,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 12-Jun-2006 11:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
Very nice Ingo. Everything looks so good. I agree those rocks are very pretty. Not seen anything like it here.

Look forward to the tanks progress.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 12-Jun-2006 12:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Look forward to the tanks progress

Me too, actually the next thing I would expect to see is that the milky water color begins to clear and also that some brown algae (diatoms) develops. I am not getting nervous about the cloudy water just yet, but the knowledge of past issues with Eco is sitting in the back of my head and I hope I will never have to bring it to the front.

Thanks Robyn,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 12-Jun-2006 14:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Eco problems are a thing of the past. Unless you saw some milky white in the bag I wouldn't worry. The eco should help establish the bacteria although the gunk would have certainly helped. If you haven't done so swap out a try of biomedia from your 125 to the 40.

Also change your water, alot 2 or 3 times per week for the first month.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 12-Jun-2006 15:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Thanks tetratech,

I remebered you saying that about the Eco, so that is why I am not too concerned that this may happen.

I am, on the other hand, worried about removing a media tray from the 125G. As you know, this tank is barely able to filter all the gunk out and removing almost half the settled media seems not like a good idea. Also, what good would it do if I don't have fish in this tank? Wouldn't the media die off eventually if I don't supplement ammonia?

I was planning on two 50% water changes per week for the first few weeks, thanks for the reminder.

I cannot believe though that you have not mentioned yet that I should have added carbon to the filter

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 12-Jun-2006 15:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
I am, on the other hand, worried about removing a media tray from the 125G. As you know, this tank is barely able to filter all the gunk out and removing almost half the settled media seems not like a good idea. Also, what good would it do if I don't have fish in this tank? Wouldn't the media die off eventually if I don't supplement ammonia?

If true, then that should be telling you something. You need another or bigger filter on the tank and/or less fish/less food. Is the tank getting better algae wise and BTW how are the Blyxa doing?

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 12-Jun-2006 15:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
blazeybird
-----
Banned
male usa
Little_fish thanks... I have a few plants and I like the setup, If I could get my dad to hook up the camera to the comp..... (we moved the comp so everything was disconected ect...) i will post pics, for right now I have
2 anuba (1 is clipings from the other)
java fern and most recently added moss
2 (not sure what the name I will have to look it up..) sword plant though
and more elodea than I can count... LOL

Post InfoPosted 12-Jun-2006 19:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
tetratech - thanks for the input. I know, I know, I already started cleaning the filter more often. But hey, didn't you see my light question in the big tank log? That may have something to do with the algae. The Blixa grows a little, and is now a very light green color. All original reddish brown leaves fell off. And it still tends to remove itself from the substrate. Maybe I should put it in this tank already.

blazeybird - yeah, show us a picture of your tank. From your plant selection it seems like you would have some nice options there.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 12-Jun-2006 19:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
Kudos: 215
Votes: 36
male finland
EditedEdited by Dr. Bonke
hrmm... I go on vacation for a long weekend and when I come back there is another Ingo-log to keep up with.

The tank looks very promising though , keep posting photos of the progress, I'll try keeping up with your threads
Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2006 00:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa

Well, that's how it happens Dr.
You blink and a new thread with 56 entries (so far) is born.

You better keep up with this thread, that's why you are getting paid the big bucks, being a Moderator and all.

Thanks Dr., I think it looks very nice myself and I hope it stays that way, but in any case I will keep you posted.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2006 01:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 1315
male ireland
Well the plant choice sounds good, pretty much what I'd have in mind myself.

Well I mentioned I meant exactly as you planned, don't go too tall. One plant at surface height is enough. The rest should be at maximum the height the Stargrass is at now.

What I really meant was be careful that not all the plants are the same height - makes things look flat. One tallish plant would give a nice contrast. You can do this with fern too simply by placing a bit higher up the wood.

Some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue.

Remember that age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.
Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2006 03:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
LF,

You should read this thread:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/aquascaping/27350-professional-aquascapers-and-algae-experiences.html?highlight=client

It has alot of impact from the other Jeff. It appears that Jeff and I think alike.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2006 04:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Bensaf - It is very comforting to read that we are at least theoretically on the same page, when did that ever happen before . Now, I only hope that the realization if that plant will work out as well as the thought process.

Tetratech - You Jeffs are on the same page, and you are not, or when did you switch over to lean ferts? Thank you very much, this for sure is a nice and informative thread to read and think about. Hey, he adds 12 Amano shrimp in a 20 at the get go - that means for my 40G I would need 24, at $5 a piece, totalling $120 in shrimp. I don't think I can do that, .

I am currently still limiting my light to 7 hours per day, but I am not dosing lean. I assume Jeff can do that because he has this ultra rich substrate (maybe we should warn our users that EI and ADA soil might not mix too well).

Overall, the tank seems to get a little clearer, I may take a picture tonight and compare it to one from Sunday, if I have the time.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2006 10:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies