SubscribeSad day
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
EditedEdited by superlion
Well I was gone with my dad for a week and my guppy tank looks terrible. EVERYTHING is covered with a thick coat of green algae. I think Mom left the light on the whole week. I know she didn't do any water changes (it's only been a week and a half since I did one)... hopefully the mayaca and brazilian pennywort will survive! I think I'm going to do some water changes today and leave the lights off for a couple days... I think I'm going to have to wait a month or two for the plants to grow past the parts that are covered with algae now

EDIT: I'll have to put the W/C on hold (which I hate to do especially when things are this bad) because we're having a new sink installed and the water is turned off for the whole house (nobody told me, I found out when I tried to wash my hands)...

><>
Post InfoPosted 13-Nov-2008 18:22Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
poisonwaffle

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 591
male usa
Ehh, that sucks.

I have all of my tank lights on timers so I don't have to worry about lights. They work great and are fairly cheap if you can find them on sale. A hardware store here had 2 packs of 'em on sale for $2... so $1/each. Individually and not on sale they can cost up to $10/each o.O

See if you can rub the algae off of the plants... hopefully you can...

Good luck, and let us know how things turn out
Post InfoPosted 13-Nov-2008 22:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I will fully agree a timer is a must with any aquarium tank. In fact I have always used them for more years than I can remember.

Is the tank big enough to add some algae eaters. Putting a new sink in should only turn the water off for a very short time no more than a hr or so. I would do as many water changes as possible. Seachem Flourish Excel will slow the algae growth a lot. If you have any Val remove it other wise the Flourish could easily kill it.

What ever you do dont try to kill the algae with the so called algae killers this can cause more problems that what it is worth.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 14-Nov-2008 01:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
female usa
I have a timer on the tank next to it, but it's on the last outlet I have on the power strip. What I need is something to plug in to the timer so I can run both lights through it. I've been looking for something like that because I was sure I already had one in a box somewhere. I may end up getting a short extension cord that has two outlets on it.

I will be trying to pull some of the algae off the plants when I clean, and see how much I can get off. This is the hairy green algae that's a big pain in the backside to get off though. With all the fine plants in the tank, I'm liable to be working on it for several hours.

It's a 10 gallon tank with 6 male guppies (which nibble the algae), four ottos (which get fat on the algae, but this is just way more than they can handle), MTS, and some other small snails, but this is way more than they can handle. They'd just be eating off the new growth and not making a dent in it if I just put it on a timer.

><>
Post InfoPosted 14-Nov-2008 01:37Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
See if I have this correct you have a timer that you want to run two lights off?

OK plug the timer into the power board then from that plug in a two outlet plug and plug one light into each outlet. Other than that buy two timers one for each outlet.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 14-Nov-2008 08:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
female usa
The only trouble is I haven't been able to find a two outlet plug... I've looked in the boxes of electrical supplies at home and at the hardware store. All I've been able to find are extension cords.

><>
Post InfoPosted 14-Nov-2008 17:37Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited by FRANK
Hi,
There are several ways to do this.
Basically, you plug the timer into the bottom section
of the duplex wall outlet. Depending upon the style
of the timer, that should/could leave the upper section
free for other use.
Then you attach something like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100595804 to the
switched output of the timer.

Or, you could plug this into the switched outlet of the
timer:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100078229 and plug
your lights into it.

Use a quality timer, one that will handle the current
and wattages involved with the lights and any fans in
the light housings.
I use these timers:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100026919
These will easily handle most of the aquarium lighting
setups.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 14-Nov-2008 22:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
female usa
Thanks for the detailed reply Frank, I'm sure someone else could find this information useful too. I need to get out to get crickets for my gecko and mail something tomorrow, so maybe I'll stop by a hardware store and look for one of those splitters.

><>
Post InfoPosted 15-Nov-2008 08:36Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies