AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Planted Aquaria
  L# TW's 43.5G Log
   L# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeTW's 43.5G Log
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
It's near impossible to overdose k2so4 so I usually add a ppm every day. The stuff doesn't like to dissolve in water very much so I think that you'll end up dosing a few ml of the highest solution possible. I got mine from greg watson. That's where I get all my ferts.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2006 15:52Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
Actually, my powder dissolves rather well

As I am "feeding" a quite large dosage of Equilibrium after each water change I do not add extra Potassium until the 3rd (=last) "feeding" of macros during the week.

Overall, the goal is to have your potassium levels (in ppm) equal to the nitrate level, if you follow EI that means around 20ppm. The problem is that there seems to be no cheap measuring kit for potassium. As such I had to hunt down the %of content within all the components that I add to evaluate how much potassium I need.

But as Matty says, it is hard to OD on this stuff. I would say that if you get your hands on K2SO4 then you could easily add 3x1/8tsp to 3x1/4tsp without any issues.

Also, isn't K2SO4 available in gardening stores as Stump Remover? I don't remember.

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2006 17:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Stump remover is KNO3. I'm not sure there is a common source out there under a different name for K2SO4.

What I meant about the K2SO4 not dissolving well is that it comes to saturation quickly(after a certain point, no more will dissolve). It's impossible to make a super concentrated supply like with KNO3. For my fert bottles I have 1ml of my solution = a certain amount in my tank. With PO4 and KNO3 it's easy to make that 1ml=1ppm in my tank, but the K2SO4 the highest concentration gives 1ml=.28ppm in my tank.

Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2006 20:54Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Thanks Matty for clarifying that I only released nonsens when I spoke about Stomp Remover

So Robyn, that's not it then.

Matty - Why do you make a solution in the first place? I just mix them up with tank water before adding it. Is your quantity so small that a measuring spoon would not work?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2006 22:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Thanks Matty for clarifying that I only released nonsens when I spoke about Stomp Remover

you were really close if that's any consolation.

Yep, for 1ppm of KNO3 a day I'd be adding less than a tenth of a teaspoon, so accuracy is a little hard. I like to add my ferts daily, for a number of reasons, but mostly cause I forget to do it if it's not ritualistically every morning before I leave for class. This also keeps the ppm of nitrate around 10.

Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2006 23:30Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
Thanks Matty & Ingo

If I can find some, then I will add K2SO4 3x1/8tsp or maybe 3x1/4tsp, on the same day as I add the other dry ferts. A hydroponics place supplied the other powders, so I hope they have this too.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2006 23:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
Stump remover is the common source for KNO3. Just be sure
that what you purchase does not have anything added to
speed up the decaying process.
Fleet Enema's are the common source for K2SO4. Again,
be sure to purchase the green package. The other color
package has additional "stuff" that is not ideal for the
aquarium.
Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 09-Nov-2006 07:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Thanks for the info Frank and thanks for popping in.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 09-Nov-2006 09:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Hate to be the correction guy, but Fleet Enemas are used to dose PO4. The chemical formula is H2NaPO4.

Post InfoPosted 09-Nov-2006 16:35Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 1074
male usa
EditedEdited by tetratech
You probably don't need to dose Potassium separately. Your getting 3 to 2 ratio of No3 (N) to s04 (K) in KNO3, which if dosed 3 times a week should bring you to within EI ranges. Remember EI ranges are 10-20ppm for No3 and so4 so you could be off by alot and still hit your mark.

I personally never dose so4 and have never seen any deficenies that are known to be caused by low potassium.

All I dose is:

KNO3
PO4
Flourish

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 09-Nov-2006 23:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
I would still dose that K.

Even though you're dosing KNO3, the signs still point to a K deficiency. Follow what the plants tell you...

Love the windelov mound, by the way

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 09-Nov-2006 23:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TankWatcher
Thanks matty, tetratech & NowherMan6 for popping in and for the advice. I don't know if it's the potasium or not, but I do know I'm getting holes in the leaves, even with following the EI method strictly - so something is off. I figure it can't hurt to try the potassium, so if I can find it (haven't rung them yet) I will dose & see if it might mean no holes on new leaves.

It's a bit of a trip to get the stuff, but I will be passing that way on the 19th. In the meantime, I have some seachem equilibrium I've never used. Ordered it on line, when someone in another thread scared me off epsom salt. Instructions say to use so much of the stuff - but maybe until I get my potassium, it will help a little? Do you think so - or will it mess up my EI dosing?

Thanks again.

EDIT,
Love the windelov mound, by the way
NowherMan6, forgot to say thanks. I love it too, but I hope it stays low & doesn't grow much taller.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2006 00:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Even though you're dosing KNO3, the signs still point to a K deficiency. Follow what the plants tell you...
Hear Hear!

Exactly my feelings. As holes in the plants don't simply happen for no reason, and in the vast majority of cases are potassium related, and given that some OD on potassium is not harmful, there is no reason not to add it.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2006 11:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi guys,

I have a question about the traces. I don't think we have the tropica brand I've reading you all discussing, so I use Seachem. I have always ordered on-line Seachem Fourish Trace (a broad range of trace elements demonstrated to be necessary for proper plant health and growth). By error on my last order, I must have ordered Seachem Flourish (a comprehensive plant supplement for the natural freshwater aquarium. It contains a rich assortment of important micro elements, trace elements and other nutrients. These include calcium, magnesium, iron and other important elements that have been shown to be beneficial to aquatic plants).

I'm wondering, is Flourish better than Flourish Trace. It seems to contain more, but is it at the cost of the Trace elements being lower? Because Flourish Trace on it's own didn't seem to include iron, I've also been adding that separately on the same days I add Trace.

Which product do you think would be best for my long term use.

Thanks.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 13-Nov-2006 00:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Robyn,

You may remember that I not too long ago ran out of TMG and that there was none available anymore. When asking around here I was informed that the most proper replacement would be Flourish and not Trace, so that would mean that your accidental purchase is for the better

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 13-Nov-2006 01:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I use flourish, not trace, as one of the 4 brands of trace supplements that I use. As such I can't comment on it specifically other than it seems to have a great amount of different nutrients that aren't found in my other traces. All in all, the mix is working pretty good IMO.

Post InfoPosted 13-Nov-2006 05:58Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
EditedEdited by tetratech
Robyn,
I just happened to come across this, you might have seen it but it's an example dosing chart for EI. They also note so4 dosing as optional. But what nowher said about "what the plants are saying" is good advice. I will be curious to see if it's due to a lack of K.

From EI Dosing chart
Note: K2SO4 is not required for dosing unless you need the extra Potassium (K). This K is found in KN03 and KH2P04. Dosing these two according to above will yield sufficient K levels. Therefore, one will be fine dosing only KN03 and KH2P04, and Plantex. If one needs to increase their K levels with K2S04, add the same measured amount as KH2P04. For example, if one is dosing 1/2 tsp of KH2P04, then dose 1/2 tsp of K2S04.
In true regards to EI, added excess K is not detrimental in any event

Attached Image:

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 13-Nov-2006 19:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Thanks Matty & Ingo for the thumbs up for the Flourish.

Thanks tetratech for the extra info on ferts & the handy table.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 14-Nov-2006 23:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
I'm playing around with replacing this tank. Will need some more time to think about it, but how about a tank of the below dimensions:-

36" in length
18" in width
24" in height

This will give me 67.3G, instead of my current 43.5. I'll have a bit extra size in all directions & most importantly, I can get a cannister filter & whatever light fitting I want. I'd be allowed to set this new tank up straightaway, as long as I gave up on the 4ft tank & shut this one down.

What do you think about this size tank. I like the 24" height, as less frequent trimming required. Are there any issues about the light not reaching the bottom of the tank. Light would be around 200watts (compact PCs I think).

Any issues with this tank size? Comments appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 20-Nov-2006 00:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Remember that tall tanks are hard to scape, and for it to look good many times you have to ignore the top 3rd of the tank. You could think of it as a 75, just a foot short on one side. Something similar would be the 50 like I have. It's 36X18X18, and would be easier to light and scape IMO. Either way you go a loverly tank it shall be.

At 2 ft a large % of light is lost, but with ~200w, I don't think you will have trouble growing any plant due to light requirements. If you are going with the 2x96w pc, I think that should be plenty.

Post InfoPosted 20-Nov-2006 01:39Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Yeah Robyn,

I am with Matty, you basically would have his 50, just higher, or my 40 and much higher, or, half the lenght of my 125 and same height.

Albeit I am usually in sink with "the bigger the better", this shape would not be my favorite. Get a longer and deeper one, height is not so important (as in, keep it less heigh).

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 21-Nov-2006 00:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Thanks Matty & LF for the advice on tank sizes. I will consider for a bit longer, but I'm still not sure if I want higher than I have already, which is nearly 18inches. I can't go wider than 18 inches, as I'm limited by the cupboard width it sits on. If the tank remains in the same position, it can't go longer than 36inches - as it is getting too close to the window.

Another reason not to rush in with the decision is that I maybe have tentative permission to buy & set up a 4ft tank (but wider & taller than the 2nd hand one I bought recently - it's a narrow & low tank). Still only a maybe, but I'm not going to rush into a new 3ft if I have any chance of setting up a 4ft.

Just finished water changes on all 3 tanks & it's now 1.30am. Trimmed my riccia for the first time tonight & I am about to attach my harvest to another rock. I had more riccia than I thought. Some of my riccia is a dark green & some is a very light colour. I wonder if tetratech's is the same? I thought the dark growth was java, as I grew my riccia on a java base. On closer inspection on trimming, I can see it is mostly riccia. Riccia leaves (or whatever you call these on moss) are very different to java moss. Strand by strand, I removed most of the underlining java moss & will now use it for the base for the new riccia rock.

One of the anubia plants in this tank is constantly flowering - though really I see little point, as they only last a couple of days. It is only this plant though - none of the others can be bothered it seems.

That's it for now.

EDIT. I think I see improvement since I started adding K2S04. I'm sure I see new growth that doesn't have the holes, but as I hadn't previously trimmed off the effected leaves, I'm not sure. They're trimmed off now - so I should know for sure by next water change.

EDIT no 2: Yay, I have enough riccia to cover 3 additional small rocks - just hope these rocks will get enough light for riccia to grow as well as it did on the front rock.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 29-Nov-2006 16:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
And where is the picture that shows us these new Riccia rocks?

Glad to read that it seems as if your fert correction shows results.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 03-Dec-2006 15:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Nothing much new in this tank, other than to say my Tenellus and blyxia are going great guns, especially since they are not supposed to in my low light tank. I guess the C02 & the ferts are saving the day. The only criticism of my tenellus is that it multiples where I don't want it to. It had runners growing all through & around the blyxia, but I managed to get it out without uprooting the blyxia.

I am very close to removing all of my stem plants in this tank. My thoughts for the left side are to take all stems out & push my wood with the fern towards the back, have low growing wisteria at the very front & I will have one more try at a red plant in between the wisteria & the wood.

I think Bensaf told me once the name of a red plant that may have a slightly lower light requirement. I'll try to find the name & see if it is available here in Aus.

The right hand side will stay more or less how it's been for a while, although I might try for some bigger rocks than those I have. The current rocks get lost amongst the plants, even though they are low plants. Shame to have touproot the riccia, to move to any new rock - 'cause even that is doing as well as I could expect in my tank.

That's it for now.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 21-Dec-2006 12:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Took out all my stems at tonight's water change. The only fast grower now is the ground hugging wisteria.

The set up by no means looks complete at the moment - I need some larger rocks for the riccia, as the current ones get lost.

May not do anything for a little while though, due to this development http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/threads/32247.1.htm?0#

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 27-Dec-2006 16:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Here is a full shot of the tank today (day after water change & removal of all stem plants).

In the pic, all the greens of my wisteria, chain sword & riccia all blend together, but in reality, there is a difference, albeit not enough. That's why I'd like some larger rocks to make the divisions clearer.

The tank should be a lot easier to maintain, with the loss of the stems. The riccia, chain sword & Blyxa are all doing so well, I am quite happy with them.

My crypts & anubia though, have green spot algae. This worries me, as I am considering going high light soon in a new tank. Am I just inviting an algae problem if I do?

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2006 08:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Here's a close up of my riccia rock. It's ready for another trim

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2006 08:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Here's a shot showing the algae that is typically on my anubia & crypts.

What can help here. I already have 5 otos in there (was able to do a head count at last night's water change & they are all present & accounted for).

Any suggestions? Like I said earlier, it concerns me, as I'm considering going hi-light in a soon to come tank and I hope I am not just asking for trouble with the increased WPG.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2006 08:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Thought it was time to introduce the new resident apisto triple red cac. He has settled in well. There are no disputes between him & the Nigerian male - nor anyone one else. He is a very peaceful fellow. He was quick to learn how best to get his share of the food, with all the other greedy & quick eaters in the tank, so I think he will do well. I hope to get him a wife in February.

Blurry shot as usual, but here it is

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2007 13:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
another

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2007 13:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Time for another full tank shot. There is a new plant in the rear left corner. LFS said it's called Willow leaf or something similar (I forget exactly).

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2007 16:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Not much has changed. At last night's water change, I removed a lot a chain sword, as it had multiplied & taken over a bit. For the 1st time, some of the remaining chain sword is showing some algae spots

The riccia was trimmed & enough was harvested to cover a new rock.

Blyxa is multiplying as well and a nice thick group has formed from the original 2 plants

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2007 11:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa

I have no advice, I just love seeing beautiful tanks. Just thought I'd let you know.
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2007 17:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Robyn,

Looking very healthy there. You say you see spots of algae on the tenellus? What kind of spots? Can it be that you removed so much that you upset the tank stability? And did you replant the remainder or did they stayed in? If replanted then this may be the cause of the algae as they will need to re-settle.

Otherwise, very nice, soon you will have soo much Riccia that you can sell it

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2007 15:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Nice Robyn!

It's interesting that your Riccia grows well (much better than mine) even with less light. I'm starting to think my water might be too soft for some plants I have.

I would love to see some thin branchy pieces of wood poking out from under the fern and coming over the new riccia rock and some of the other plants near the front. It would really give the tank some nice constrast and add'l depth.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2007 18:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Wow, 3 visitors !!! Thanks to all for popping in.

fish patty, thanks for such a nice comment. Much appreciated.

LF, Well the spots are closer to black than green & they are on my anubia & crypts as well. It doesn't come off when rubbed with finger. I don't remember if it was there (or not) prior to tenellus thinning, but was there the next night. BTW, the spots were on the anubia & crypts prior to the thinning. No tenellus was replanted - what remains is as it was. I removed about 5 good sized plants & around 15 smaller ones. Still plenty there & very little free gravel at all in the tank. I was just making sure none of the riccia & blyxa weren't shaded. My tenellus grows great, but tries to take over the tank & would do so if given the chance.

Hi Tetra, yes I'm amazed too that the riccia, blyxa & tenellus all grow so well. I have more that double the riccia I started with, at least 4 times as much blyxa & I just have to keep getting rid of tenellus. Maybe C02 is more important than lights to these plants I continue to have no success with red plants though - any I trial die.

Thanks for scaping advice too, but all my tanks are on holding mode at the moment. I am waiting for hubby to pay me out for a bet I won & the winnings will be used to upgrade all my tanks. This tank will close down shortly & become a 36" x 19" tank & all plants & fish will transfer across. I already have the eco complete, eheim cannister filter & compact PC lighting sitting in the garage. (Wish I'd read your recent discussion in LF's log - seems you are all moving towards the idea of T5HO's being better than PC's). It also seems that I only need stronger lights if I want red plants (which I do).

So, once hubby comes up the winnings I'll be starting from scratch (scape wise) and looking for lots of suggestions like yours.

Anyway, thanks again for all popping in.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2007 06:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Robyn,

Take your time with the redo, you are in no rush as the tank looks nice as it is

Anyway, my Anubias have once in a while blackish, or dark brownish, spots on them. I assume it is a form of algae that actually does not spread all that fast. My first set of Anubias that I added to that tank about 30 weeks ago developed such spots right away, I assume because the plant mass in the tank was not sufficient. I had them a long time ago in the 125 as well and it was suggested to me that the only way to remove the spotted parts is to remove the leaves.

Also, I am not certain anymore, in particular because of the discussion in my thread, if I would really like to have the T5s.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2007 13:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi LF
Take your time with the redo, you are in no rush as the tank looks nice as it is
I will & thanks for the tank compliment.

I wonder if I'm doing the right thing, because I do like the tank as it is. In real life, it is a little nicer than the pics show. My camera (as said many times) is not that great & green just looks green (no contrast in shade). Actually there are many shades of green in there, so even without red, I do have more contrast than shows up.

Being a worrier, I wonder what troubles I'll bring into the new tank, as I'll have increased light. Am I just inviting a big algae mess - all for the sake of a red plant here or there? Maybe I should have just thrown in a red plastic plant & pretended.

But no, the light has been bought & it won't fit over this tank - it would overhang each side. The reason I didn't just convert this tank (like I did with the 23.7G) is that it is not a standard length & I couldn't get a light fitting to fit it's length.

I'm both looking forward to and a little scared of the change over plans.

Back to the black spot - I think my plant mass is sufficient. Another factor is that I was away from home from 2 Feb until 19 Feb & there were no ferts or traces going in the tank while I was gone - so maybe this is the reaction to that. Some anubia spotting was present before I went away, but not on the tenellus.

Thanks for dropping in LF.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2007 14:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I'm both looking forward to and a little scared of the change over plans.

Happens to me all the time

You never know if a change is for the better or worse. A good plan on what you want to do and how to manage to get there goes a long way. Spur of the moment changes are the worst, let me tell you

Another factor is that I was away from home from 2 Feb until 19 Feb & there were no ferts or traces going in the tank while I was gone

- If it didn't cause it, it for sure didn't help either. What about light and such? Was that as it always is?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2007 15:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
If it didn't cause it, it for sure didn't help either. What about light and such? Was that as it always is?
Lighting schedule & C02 were on their usual schedule & I had someone feed the fish. It seemed like too much to ask for them to fertilise as well.

I am lucky the fish minder didn't make the same error on this tank, as on the 20G. At first I couldn't understand why the 20G was so filthy compared to the other 2 - until I discovered the lights had been on 24/7 for who knows how long. There's an over-ride switch on timer, so if you want lights on when the timer has turned them off, you flick the over-ride switch & lights are back on. In that mode, the timer can't turn the lights back off though.

The minder switched the over-ride on & forgot to turn it off again. I don't know how long lights were left on - it must have been quite a while though. I came back to a tank where my anubias will never look the same again - unless I trim off nearly all the leaves. Besides that, the tank was just plain filthy from the algae, but not so bad that one water change & a good cleaning of glass didn't sort it out. Except for the anubias, which look very sad. A little annoying as quite a few were newly added.

Just glad it didn't happen in this tank.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2007 15:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Well,

First to this tank: when lights and CO2 were kept as usual, and no ferts where added for two weeks, plus unknown amounts of food added, that should do it for the algae.

The 20G story seems really bad, I don't know if I would use this minder ever again . But we have to take whoever is available

I have a timer that can be overwritten as well, but as soon as it hits the next interval setting it will revert to "normal". In this case, the worst would be one night with the lights on, or one day with the lights off. Look around for these types of timers, here in the US they are about $10 to $15 in the hardware store.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2007 15:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
I don't know if I would use this minder ever again . But we have to take whoever is available
Well, what can I say. The minder was my 18yr old daughter, who tried hard & reported to me daily on my fishes activites. It was the 1st time this worried mother hen left her at home (although not alone - her 25yr old step-sister was with her - she was in charge of her Dad's marine tank).

I've made a multitude of mistakes over my short fish keeping career, and as you say, we have to take whoever is available.

That timer sounds good. I have not seen one like it, but will keep my eye out for one now.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2007 17:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
*shakes fish at 18yr old daughter*

I say disown her!

J/K...I just saw that pic on the last page....looks great robyn! I'm very impressed. Sorry to hear about your other tank though.

Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2007 17:34Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi Matty, thanks for stopping by

And thanks for the nice compliment About the other tank - it's ok now, except for annubia.

I haven't seen an update from your tanks in a little while. Anything much happening? I read in one of LF's log that you are still having bad luck with fish, so I was sad to read that. Hope things pick up soon.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2007 23:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
EditedEdited by mattyboombatty
No, nothing really happening there. I've been too busy with school and life. I wanted to get it nice again, but haven't gotten to it. I'm just giving it minimal care. The few fish left get fed sparingly, the plants get trimmed and the water gets changed when I can, been about a month on that. Don't see a need for it though.

Thanks for asking, maybe next week (spring break) will see some action.

Oh, and I talked to one of the neighbors in the same building and he's having very similar problems with his fish. I might try to start mixing with 50% RO/DI on water changes if maybe the tap water is a problem.

Post InfoPosted 05-Mar-2007 01:05Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
"Spring Break?" You actually get a break? Heck every
Spring Break I had, found me out in the boonies somewhere
chasing rock formations and writing a thesis on them.
Of course the paper was due the first day of class after
the resumption of classes so there was no putting it off.
Never did get to go to Florida, but then Susan probably
would have had something to say about that too. Come to
think of it.. I could have done one on Karst Topography
and researched it in FL. Durn!
Lucky...
Frank

Post InfoPosted 05-Mar-2007 01:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Fl. has good Karst Topography? That would be pretty cool to study. Sinkholes, caves, underground rivers...pretty sweet.

I'm not going to fully enjoy my spring break in Florida or anything like that. but I do get a week off, and though I have work to do, no way I'm going to spend the whole break doing work. I'll play catch up with my two tanks and sleep in good. Can't really afford florida anyways.

Post InfoPosted 05-Mar-2007 02:44Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
I'm trying to show the pearling on my riccia tonight (and it's not water change night - that's tomorrow). The little bubbles are all over it - too bad the pics don't show it. I wonder if anyone other than me can see it, but it is there (really it is)

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 06-Mar-2007 16:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 06-Mar-2007 16:05
This post has been deleted
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
another try. Hmmm, it's no better either

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 06-Mar-2007 16:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Was trying not to change much until the new tank, but the blyxa had multiplied so much & was shading itself. To get to the light, it had started to lift itself out of the substrate. I removed most of the blyxa, so I could separate the new plants & I find that from the one single plant I bought, I have around 30 now. to make room for them, the creeping wisteria had to go - as it was positioned in one of the better areas for light in the tank.

It is getting a little crowded in there (plant wise) but I hope not to have to throw much out, as I will need extra plants for the slightly bigger floor plate of the new tank.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2007 15:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I see a fwe bubbles there Robyn. Very nice. I love all youse guys with your pearling riccia. Somebody needs to get you a little better camera. Wouldn't even have to be much$$ just a decent p and s.

Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2007 17:22Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by tankwatcher
Here is the latest pic & I'm embarrassed to see that I should have cleaned the glass first. The riccia is looking a bit blunt & short, but that because I trimmed it last night. the 4 rocks at the front are all new and the ricca was harvested from other rocks, which are now further back and not visible in this picture.

Still in holding mode in this tank, as it's closure is getting closer now. Replacement tank has been ordered.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 26-Apr-2007 16:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Like most other people, I assume, I first looked at the picture and was in shock

I thought you had a huge algae outbreak on the right side, but I am glad to read that this is on your glass

The tank looks very nice though,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 26-Apr-2007 19:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
thought you had a huge algae outbreak on the right side, but I am glad to read that this is on your glass
I got tired & lazy at the end of Wednesday nights water change. After cleaning the 20G & then the discovery of eggs in 23G slowed the night down somewhat. Being a hopeless fish netter, everything had to be removed from the tank so I could net those pesky krib juveniles for removal. Whether it is their extreme youth, I don't know. But they were just so darn fast & much quicker darters than any other fish I've had to catch. By the time I made it to the 43G, I was tired and so I did little other than water change & harvest riccia (which couldn't wait - it was about to break free and float).

Having said that, I am getting black algae (grows in little tuffs) as well as algae on some anubia leaves. It scares me a little, as what will happen when all goes to my new tank with the much stronger light.

Oh well, time will tell I guess.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 27-Apr-2007 00:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Where do you get the black algae (which I assume is BBA, as your description seems to fit)? Quite a few people I know have it, including myself. For most of us, it grows in areas of higher water flow and overall seems not to invade a tank too fast. I have on a few occasions "spot-treaded" the tank (40G) with Excel, and somehow that worked wonders. It was a different process than what I used to do in the past. I simply took a dropper and sucked up about 3ml of Excel. Then, while doing a water change (as that is the time when I turn off the filter, aka no current in the tank) and the water is at the low point, just before refilling, I squirt the dropper into the BBA slowly (that part was still submersed, not above the water line). And that was it! I could not believe myself how effective it was, within two days the BBA turned red and on the following weekend it was gone (from that spot, of course, I still have some in other spots).

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 27-Apr-2007 13:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Thanks for the BBA Excel trip LF. I tried it here & in the 23G, where the algae was much worse - complete with long & flowing green hair algae. This tip worked really well on both types of algae.

By accident, this tank has been re organised slightly on the right hand side. To remove my Apisto Blue Steels, I had to take all the wood & rocks out of the tank & the right hand side didn't go back together quite they way it was. The anubia is now more visible. I only put back a small portion of the chain sword & only one of the Java Ferns. The Java will probably be a little slower to grow back but the chain sword tends to take over very quickly - so it shouldn't be long for re-growth there. It's not very different, but for a comparison, the before shot is a few posts further up.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 27-May-2007 15:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Here's the reason for the Blue Steel's removal.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 27-May-2007 15:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Here's the female, plus a shot of my Blyxa. I had my first floating Blyxa last week, but being lazy, I left it floating for a quite a few days. It grew some roots while floating and has now been successfully replanted.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 27-May-2007 15:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
here's the male.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 27-May-2007 15:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Very nice Robyn,

That's a double or triple red, right?

The tank looks ok, but somehow, with it being less planted (until it regrows), I find the red rocks too red and too much visible. And it seems like they need a hair cut as well .

In the last shot there were 4 Riccia tops, now there are 3 larger ones. What happened to #4?

Glad the Excel worked, now keep an eye open for re-occurence.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 27-May-2007 15:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
That's a double or triple red, right?
Sold as a double, but there is some red on dorsal, tail & anal fin. Not that much on the anal - but it is there. Not quite as pretty a pattern of red as my previous, but this one's dorsal fins are more spikey so are impressive that way (doesn't show in my pic). First time I've had a male display to his girl too (it's always the other way around) but he definitely flairs, plus shimmies at her too. I don't expect eggs or fry to survive in this tank.

I agree with all your criticisims and it's the same old story that I don't feel like doing all that much to this tank as it's will be pulled down shortly. My new tank is probably ready for delivery now (I've been away a few days). Before I set it up, I've got to get a tradesman out to reinforce my cupboards - so that will be another delay.

All ricca rocks are still there - maybe too low or towards the back - but they're there.

I soon have to plan planting of the new tank - but will be limited by my large wood /fern - takes up a lot of space. Thinking about which red plant (finally a red plant) I will grow. I have no idea how to run C02 off a cannister, so later I will be asking for advice. I have one of those glass tulip things to use for C02 in the new tank - another mystery.

So with all these thoughts, I haven't been too excited about redesigning this tank.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 28-May-2007 00:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa

Makes sense Robyn. A red plant, as in a tall stem red plant? I do like my Alterhanthera reineckii quite a bit. I have a shot of my street from today, but given that I don't update my weekly event until tomorrow I can show it here as well.

And we will worry about the CO2 whenever you are ready for it, but what is that tulip thing you speak of? A glass diffuser?

Ingo

Attached Image:

Alterhanthera reineckii

Post InfoPosted 28-May-2007 01:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Robyn,

I think the tank looks good. I'm still amazed at how full the Blyxa is growing with only 1.6 wpg. I forget, how deep is your tank? I assume there is a pretty good root system on them. I could never get a good root system going on mine. I'm thinking it might be the light penetration of the 6700k cf bulbs.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 29-May-2007 13:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Alterhanthera reineckii
Very nice plant. I will see if I can find it. Probably more chance on line, than in store. Fingers crossed.
what is that tulip thing you speak of? A glass diffuser
Yes, the glass diffuser. I got this one on ebay as part of a spare C02 system purchase I made. I never set up the spare system (using gas bottle as one of 3 that I rotate on this tank) so the glass diffuser is waiting for the new tank. I have no clue how to run C02 through it or the cannister. I'll get serious & ask for help later though - no point now when I'm not ready to do it - dopey me will just forget

Hi tetratech - thanks for popping in.
I'm still amazed at how full the Blyxa is growing with only 1.6 wpg.
Me too. Makes me wonder if I'm doing the right thing with the new tank plants (high light & eco complete). It might bring me red crinkled blyxa that floats & won't stay rooted as well as cory with damaged barbels. I put the success of the blyxa and the ricca down to C02, but I have ricca in my low tech tank (low light, no C02) and my ricca is thriving there too.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 30-May-2007 12:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
I didn't think I'd post again in this tank, before closing it down. But, as I bought a new discus, I thought I just might as well. He is meant to a Marlborough Red, but he is much more yellow than others I googled on the net. Maybe this means he is a poor specimen - but I think he's pretty anyway. I've ordered 2 friends for him. This tank will shut down shortly & all will move into a 89G (339 L). For this reason, I haven't bothered too much about the actual scape at moment.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2007 15:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Robyn I'm very jealous. I've always put the scape before the fish, but I do have a soft spot for Discus. Maybe one day. That is a beautiful fish and I'm sure she/he will do well in the 89G.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2007 15:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I am looking in my Christal Ball and I see "many many water changes for Robyn"

Looking nice Robyn, maybe he/she will color up soon. About adding two buddies: could this cause conflicts if two of them pair up?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2007 16:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
I am looking in my Christal Ball and I see "many many water changes for Robyn

Yes I do see that in Robyn's future as well as other things including temp, filtration and algae control.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2007 18:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 19-Jun-2007 18:47
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Thanks for the replies Ingo & Jeff

About adding two buddies: could this cause conflicts if two of them pair up?
I visit another forum specifically dedicated to Discus. It has a small sub forum on apistos, which is what drew me to their site. Now I have a discus, I've popped into the main discus forum for advice. They tell me I need a minimum of 3 discus (schooling fish). 2 might cause aggression, but 3 should be ok (I hope). I will have to watch what happens with a pairing though.
maybe he/she will color up soon
You know my bad photo's Ingo. He/she is actually very pretty as is. A beautiful brilliant yellow colour (think of the SW fish - the Yellow Tang), with sort of a dusting of red over the yellow body. More red towards the body outline. Fins are red with black. Those on the the discus forum told me he looks young & should get more red as he matures. But I hope not - I like him better this way.
Yes I do see that in Robyn's future as well as other things including temp, filtration and algae control.
Well, I'll have to see how the water changes go. Some on the discus forum do small changes twice a week, but a lot also just do the weekly change. For the moment, I'll stick with the weekly, & see how it goes. I'm aware I might have to up it. The new filter will be a eheim Pro II 2028, so I hope that will be enough. There will be a 25W UV filter - so I hope that helps with algae & disease.

Tetratech - why do you particulary see algae issues. Is there something about discus & increased algae???

As far as temp goes, below is my stock list & temps as per profiles here on FP:-

Discus 28-31C
Boesmani Rainbow 27-30C
Platy 18-25C
Harlequin Rasbora 22-25C
Sterbai Cory 21-26C
Apistogramma 23C-29C (varies depending on which apisto you're looking at)

I guess the ones to worry about are the sterbai, platy & rasboras. I will have to watch them. I have set the temp to 28C for the moment.

BTW, Jeff. I received my petrified wood yesterday. A bit disappointed with the amount. I was the winning bidder on 6 sep auctions, but only received 5 rocks. I've sent a query asking why. Maybe, he went by the total weight of my winning bid. I'll take a pic of them later to see what you think.

Thanks again for popping in.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 20-Jun-2007 00:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Tetratech - why do you particulary see algae issues. Is there something about discus & increased algae???
All I mean is that Discus are meaty fish as are other cichlids and they have more waste than smaller tetras, so naturally there is more potential algae problems if filtration and lights aren't in check.

Looking forward to seeing your petrified wood. BTW Don't let us two Geezers (LF and Me) scare you with the Discus. It's all good and I'm sure you will do fine with them. I would really like to have some myself. There is a store not to far from me (Aqua Hut) that sells a wide variety of Discus at unbelivably low prices. As I said maybe one day.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 20-Jun-2007 01:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Don't let us two Geezers (LF and Me) scare you with the Discus.

So true, I am just jealous

No really, there are a few more challenges involved when having discus, as mentioned above, but I have no doubt that you will be able to handle it.

About the water conditions/changes: As you have a tendency to attempt breeding (see your Apistos), water conditions should be super.

One thing we have not talked about is the stress on plants in heigher temperatures. I know one guy who was able to grow all kinds of stuff, loads of lights on his tank, the reddest and fullest macandras (for example) the world has ever seen. All went downhill with the discuss, the temp was just to high for the plants to thrive. I don't know too many details, but it may be worthwhile researching which plants do well in 82F ++ (which is about 28C, right? ).

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 20-Jun-2007 13:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
Kudos: 83
Votes: 242
male australia
Robyn , Thats a very beautifull looking fish , and I think you are right to keep them in odd numbers . Tends to spread any aggression out.
Are you getting 1 Male and 2 females ? Any thoughts of trying to breed them ?

Hope the new tank goes well for you as well .
Garry
Post InfoPosted 20-Jun-2007 13:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
Kudos: 215
Votes: 36
male finland
Ooohhhh, a discus in a planted tank I'm going to be watching this thread closely now to see how it works out with you. My plans are that after I get back from my summer vacation (1 month tour down the eastcoast of the USA) I'll tear my big tank apart and rebuild it into a planted Discus tank I've wanted to keep Discus all my aquarium life and always have been a bit afraid of them but since my wife has laid her eyes on a couple she's been urging me to get them.

As for the temperature, my plants have been growing fine at 28 degrees Celsius, going much higher than that slowly becomes problematic and growth slows down a bit and you'll have a good time to keep algae away. In any case, I really want you to succeed with this
Post InfoPosted 20-Jun-2007 15:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Kudos: 138
Votes: 13
female usa us-massachusetts
EditedEdited by catdancer
Robyn:

Congrats on the discus! Don't worry too much about water changes and the alleged sensitivity of these fish. If you stick to your good maintenance schedule they will be fine. I was scared when I got my first discus and was constantly hovering over the tank with test kits and buckets to perform water changes. I perform now weekly water changes as I did before and the discus are doing extremely well. In fact, I find them less sensitive than my Cories

The biggest 'problem' might arise from feeding but this is also entirely dependent on the type of food you provide. I feed some pellets that the fish were raised on by the breeder and a variety of frozen foods (a special discus formula, blood worms, glass worms, brine shrimp). If you do not rinse the thawed food you will get some gunk in your tank, so keep that in mind. Occassionally I feed beef heart and THAT is an unbelievable mess which impacts water quality.

you are going to shut down this tank entirely? You are not suffering from MTS?

I am looking forward to read about your new tank.
Post InfoPosted 20-Jun-2007 15:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I agree about the sensitivity of discus. We have quite a few in the store that live comfortably in hard water and weekly water changes. Wild caught discus might be a separate story though, but no worrie there for you. With the large plant mass, I'm sure you'll still have to add nitrates. Lovely fish BTW.

The tank looks great, I can't wait to see the new setup.

Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2007 00:28Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Wow, lots of visitors. Thanks y'all for popping in
So true, I am just jealous
Ah, but I know you're not. Was almost too scared to show you, as I know "Big Fish" aren't your thing Whilst I'd love discus fry LF, this is the community tank & never one baby has survied that tank. If it happened, good - but I doubt it. Not planning any special action to encourage breeding.

I hope the temp for my plants (at least my current plants) should be fine. Our summer heat sends my tanks up to 30C. With the aid of small fans, I can get it down to 28C. This tank is on the warmest side of the house, so it always creeps the highest. Of course in the new tank, I want to try a red plant, so I'll be disappointed if it won't grow in a discus tank.

Dr. Bonke, you're getting discus too. For some reason, I thought you had them already.
growing fine at 28 degrees Celsius, going much higher than that slowly becomes problematic and growth slows down a bit and you'll have a good time to keep algae away
Are you able to pls give me a bit of extra info on what you mean re "problematic" and "good time to keep algae away". The more tips I can get on the get go, the better.

Hi catdancer - welcome to my log. I'd been reading up on this beefheart stuff, found recipes & was about to rush out & buy the meat mincer. But you only sometimes feed beefheart & your discus are happy? If it's so messy & they're fine without it, I'd rather keep things simple. Do you think they need it? I feed a mixture of spectrum, fresh & frozen brineshrimp & frozen bloodworms. I'm always supper fussy about rinsing the frozen food.
you are going to shut down this tank entirely? You are not suffering from MTS?
Not sure that's true I have a total of 3 tanks (if you don't count 2 betta tanks & hubby's marine). If it was up to me, this tank would not shut down, but hubby only lets me go so far. The trade off to get 2 larger tanks was a firm promise to shut down 2 current tanks. The other tank I planning is 4ft African.

After being told on a discus forum I need a min of 3 discus, 2 new ones are acclimatising now. The old boy is up saying hello to his new mates in the bag. Hope they'll be mates (as in buddies).

Thanks for comments Matty. Glad to hear your LFS finds them not too sensitive. I can't wait for the new setup either - having trouble finding someone to fix my cupboard first. Now that you've brought up the subject of adding nitrates .....

Does anyone think I need to alter my fert schedule, with 3 discus in there. I currently dose:-

1/2tspn KN03 & 1/16 tspn KH2P04 & 1/16 tspn K2S04 - 3 times a week
10ml flourish & 4ml Flourish iron - 3 times a week

Tetratech, I'll post pics of the petrified wood later.

That's it for now.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2007 10:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
The new guys have been in the tank a couple of hours now. I briefly turned the lights on to get pics. They have coloured up 100% from when I first saw them - this one in particular. Much redder than the original fish. This one is out & about, but the other one is hiding in the back, so I hope he'll be okay. No pics of the hiding one yet.

This shot show the original, who is much less red. I though he was pretty until I saw this one. There is a bit of chasing by the original one against this one - but not constant so I hope it sorts out. More concerned about the one who is hiding.

Below are the pieces of petrified wood I bought on ebay for the new setup.

That's it for now.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2007 14:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I will say more later, but for now I only have time for a quick entry (phone conference coming up):

the last piece of wood looks like a bone that a dog had chewed up

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2007 15:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
Those sure look like tiny pieces of wood TW. They must
be selling the chips by the pound.

Beautiful fish TW and great looking tank!
Frank

Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2007 16:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
Kudos: 215
Votes: 36
male finland
Hi Robyn,

I don't think you'll have to worry too much, but I can explain a bit more about the trouble I meant. Last year I installed a couple of extra T5 lamps in my tank (2x 55w) and didn't really give it much extra thought. The first day my plants were pearling like never before and I was thought I had a winner, but then within a few days that stopped and growth seemed to halt. At that point also quite a few different kinds of algae started growing rather excessively. I watched that for about a week or so, to see whether there would be improvement and then during the water change I thought the awater was kinda warm. I then checked the thermometer and it turned out to be nearly 33 degrees Celsius. That was clearly too high (I was surprised that none of my fish had died). Since then I've installed some ventilators to get the heat out of the hood, and that keeps the temperature at about 27-28. With proper care - meaning weekly water changes and fertilization - the plants grow really well (right now my big tank is a bit of a mess since I am leaving for a month vacation and have switched off CO2 and stopped fertizing).

You should be just fine
Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2007 18:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Hi catdancer - welcome to my log. I'd been reading up on this beefheart stuff, found recipes & was about to rush out & buy the meat mincer. But you only sometimes feed beefheart & your discus are happy? If it's so messy & they're fine without it, I'd rather keep things simple. Do you think they need it?

My pleasure, you will see me more often and I hope that you will visit my log (to be posted soon) as well. My discus are extremely happy judged by their behaviour. Not shy at all, quite the opposite and always attacking food! I think the beef heart recipes and the legend that discus need this food in order to thrive originates from the earlier ages of discus keeping when commercial foods were not such high quality and frozen, fortefied foods not readily available. Look at it this way: what are the chances that a discus in the wild will dine on a cow? This type of food satisfied the need for high protein and very little fat. All my frozen foods are fortefied (Hikari) with vitamins to ensure all nutritional requirements are met. A lot of breeders in my club feed most of the time pellets and occassionally frozen food. Some never ever beef heart because it is so messy. BTW - my discus don't even like it. What I always pay attention to is that my fish get some veggie components with their diet - also frozen. So, if you are into preparing your own food, well, go for it, but you really don't have to IMHO.

The new guy looks beautiful. How big is this discus already? I would not worry about the one hiding - it might take this one a bit to adjust to the new environment, probably they were raised in bare bottom tanks only with lots of other discus. It was very apparent that mine had no clue about plants, pretty funny to watch them doing their first excursions of the tank!

glad to hear that you are also MTS ... I always enjoy hearing that others suffer the same affliction!

And no, the rock does not look like a chewed on bone more like an attempt at wood working! *rofl
Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2007 20:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi Ingo - - yeah I can see it, but a riccia cap should take care of that.

Hi Frank - Thanks for tank & fish compliment They're smaller than I thought & yes, they were being sold by the pound. This pic gives a better guage of size - it's taken dry, whereas the pics yesterday were taken with the wood wet. Not sure how if or how I'll use them. Hoping to get Jeff's opinion, as he is the petrified wood expert. (Jeff, if you do pop in, pls scroll backwards where there are individual shots of the wood)

Hi Dr Bonke. Thanks for the info. My new tank won't have a hood, so hopefully I won't get the same problem when I up my lighting to compact PC's. I never did find any light fittings here in Aus that have those fans I hear some of you talk about. I'm tempted to not use the glass lids on the new tank at all.

Hi catdancer. Let us know when your log is up (in case I miss it). I think I will give the beef heart recipe a miss for the time being. Glad we spoke. I use hikari vitamin enriched frozen foods too. I haven't seen the veggie one - what is it called? They were all soled as 8cm, but I think the first guy is smaller & the new ones are larger - but none larger than 8cm.

Today, they are hanging around together like the 3 amigos, & I hope it stays that way. They have settled in a lot better than the 1st one did on his own. They all came out to eat straight away - no hiding. Now, prepare to be bored as I have taken a few shots. catdancer, as a discus owner, I'm wondering if you can tell the sex by any of the pics. I don't really care, but I'm just curious, is all.

That's it for now

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2007 14:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
I believe you will be just fine with your round fish. The discus at my local store get water changes about once a week dependent on my work schedule. Our water is liquid rock with a pH of about 8. The discus are fine with this. I know some people that have spawning discus is similar water.

As for food. See if you can get your hands on live black worms. Your discus will go nuts for them!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2007 14:39Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Just a guess but I think the light one and the dark one are Males. They seem to have longer fins. They are still young though so it will be hard to tell. I am sure someone out there can help you out though.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2007 14:44Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi Wingsdlc

Thanks for the visit & the thoughts on sexing them. How old do you think they are?

My C02 takes care of the pH & my water is soft - but I do wonder about the spike in pH I get if my C02 runs out just after I leave for work. When that happens, in the course of the day it can rise from 6.5 to nearly 7.5pH.

Thanks for the live black worm tip. Yes, I can get my hands on them - but I thought they were the ones that can bring in parasites. Or am I thinking of something else?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2007 14:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
EditedEdited by wingsdlc
but I thought they were the ones that can bring in parasites
You know I am not so sure about that. I guess they could... I have never seen any issues from the ones at work but who knows.

How old do you think they are?
Not really the guy to ask.

PM Bob Wesolowski

He is good with discus.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2007 15:17Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Hi Robyn:

Great pictures of your discus and what a nice tank! I am looking forward to follow your new set up. As for my log - as soon as I have this paper out.

Food: I am experimenting with veggie food as I have not found one yet that contains a good mix! One that is available in frozen form is "Cichlid delight" from San Francisco Brand and it contains Spirulina, Turkey heart (here we go ...) and some othe ingredients. I am cutting the cubes into tiny pieces as the meat sticks together making the lumps too big for the fish. Another one I have now (recommended by my LFS) is by Formula Two and it is strictly veggie - I mix it with Bloodworms.

As for sexing discus, I am not aware that it is actually possible to do so when not spawning as the genital papillae is not visible. Fins are IMHO no indicator as they vary greatly from strain to strain - there are plenty of high fin varieties out there. My fish don't get live food - too much to worry about re parasites and other 'silent travelers' that might get introduced into the tank, but that is me!
Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2007 15:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
The cautions about plants and increased temperatures are
valid. Arizona Gardens has a "Package" of plants that they
recommend for specifically for Discus tanks.
Here is the link:
http://www.azgardens.com/habitats_discus.php

I'd write down the names, and quantities of the various
plants and either purchase a package of them for your
tank, or look for them through other sources. The thing
is, this lists the plants and quantities for your size
tank, and for the temperatures that you will be running.
It could help save you some headaches later on.

Frank

Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2007 15:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
I have not really noticed any harm done to my plants with high temps. We do not run AC in our house and it has gotten up to around 90 inside. I know its warmer than the tank should really get but nothing has gone into melt down.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2007 15:40Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Robyn , Glad to here that all is well with these beautifull fellas . They look magnificent . I'm sure they will bring you hours of enjoyment .

I look forward to learning more about Discus from your log . Always been afraid to have a go at them due to their delicate reputation .

Are you planning any tank mates in the new tank .?

Garry
Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2007 16:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Robyn,

Wow, what can I say those Discus are beautiful. I'm seeing some in my future

Actually the rocks look pretty good and interesting. You have to kinda play with them and stick him into the substrate. That one that Ingo described as a chewed-up dog bone, could actually look very interesting in the foreground possibily buried under substrate at the low point. But as I said you have to kinda move them around and see what appeals to you and works with your setup.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2007 18:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
The only problem I see is that all the attention will be taken from your hard work with the plants and be on the discus instead.

What, this is the planted forum right.... Really beautiful discus Robyn. Good luck with them.

I agree with the blackworm idea the ones in our store love them. I've never heard much about parasites with them either. Just be careful with the feedings....I know how slow discus are to realize there's food in front of their face and blackworms can drown.

Post InfoPosted 23-Jun-2007 04:58Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi Wings, It must only be in Aus that blackworms have this reputation - though catdancer also says no live food for her tanks due to "parasites & silent travellers". I haven't pm'd Bob Wesolowski about the age, but I will. Thanks for the tip.

Hi Catdancer - thanks for heads-up on food. I haven't seen all the frozen foods you mention, though we get hikari. So far, they have pretty much ignored all food except frozen bloodworms. I hope to get them eating Spectrum soon - but no luck so far.

Hi Frank - thanks for the link. I'll keep just in case. Fairly confident I'll be ok though. Like Wings, in summer my tanks sit naturally at 28/ 29C & all plants grow like mad & no algae issues. This may change with the higher lights I plan. A group of plant nerds on a discus forum agreed no issues if temp kept as above. Still, it's good to be forewarned & have a list of plants, just in case. I'm determined to have at least 1 red plant - as that's the whole reason for this tanks impending demise (so I can fit stronger lights - not possible in this lousy tank). Not as many choices here for red plants as you have in US. More on my choices later, when I'm ready to purchase.

Garry - thanks for visit & fish complements. What I've been hearing is these guys aren't as sensitive as we've been led to believe. Hope so anyway. Hope I manage to give them a long & happy life. Tankmates - well, the apistos will move into a divided breeding tank. I love my 2 B.Rainbows, but think they're too boisterous for discus, so may have to go. They're such great mates & I love them too, so torn what to do. Hate to think of them in either a bare LFS tank or in anyone else's unsuitable tank. Might ask LFS if they'd be prepared to put them in their planted display tank - not sure of my chances. The harley rasboras have always been a fav of mine. They seem to be doing well here - but temp is too high according to their profile. Given that my tank reaches high temps in summer anyway, it may not be such a problem. Undecided what I should do with them. I've been told cardinals are good with discus. The otos will tfr over & I think I have room for 3 more discus, using calculations discus forum gave me for stocking (1 adult discus per 45litres). Maybe I might up the cory sterbai's or go with the false juli, like Ingo. There's a lone platy in current tank, so I he'll transfer across too. That's it for fish. Pretty much know what I like now.

Hi tetratech - thanks for discus compliment. Glad you like the rocks too. Glad dog/bone rocks passed muster. What about rock in 1st pic - that's my fav. Wonder if I should ask the guy to pick out some similar to dog/bone & 1st pic - but slightly bigger ?? Not sure how many I'll need for new setup. I'm stuck using the windelov wood & that takes up a large piece of real estate (too much).
What, this is the planted forum right
Hi matty - yeah I know. I'll be back on track with plants (& fish) once I start new setup. Yes - discus are slow to realise food is there (one of the reasons the b.rainbows might have to go). Doesn't matter how many different spots I drop in the food so the discus get some, those rainbows are everywhere & get there first. They must have food radar

Anyway - that's enough for now.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 26-Jun-2007 06:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Ingo

It's not quite the same name as yours, nor quite as pretty. Yours is called "Alterhanthera reineckii". Is this the same plant, or another related plant? http://www.aquaticdreams.com.au/product.asp?ProductID=507 Plant is referred to as "Telanthera" in the main heading, but in the descriptive text it's referred to as a Alternathera species, which is close to your spelling.

Edit: Ok - think I got it now. Seems it's also known as Red Temple. http://www.aquariumsuppliesaustralia.com.au/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=861

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 26-Jun-2007 09:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Robyn , Sounds like you've got your tankmates figured out pretty well . I tend to agree with you on the Rainbows .
The Harleys are great aren't they gotta love them .

I've become very partial to a lot of other Tetra types of recent times. Rummynoses in particular are a lot of fun as well as Columbians and Bleeding Hearts .
I know some people think that some of the bigger Tetras are a little nippy but I haven't found that .

Anyway just a couple of thoughts . Can't wait to see the new tank take shape .

Enjoy
Garry
Post InfoPosted 26-Jun-2007 11:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
some of the bigger Tetras are a little nippy but I haven't found that
Sorry a head of time about the little side track...

Speaking of nippy tetras... Yesterday at work I was cleaning tanks and got bit about 110 times by the blind cave tetras. Crazy little nippy fish! Good thing they are just little fish unlike the piranhas.

discus are slow to realise food is there
They might be a little slower than some other fish but our little discus at work are pigs!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 26-Jun-2007 15:02Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Still not planning to change my water changing routine, unless I hit problems with the discus. But... just so I know what to do in case I have to. Would I need to make changes to the EI fert routine when doing 2 x 25% (or 2 x 50%) changes instead of 1 x 50%? Or, would I still keep to the same schedule & just ignore the increased frequency of water changes?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 27-Jun-2007 12:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
EditedEdited by wingsdlc
Still not planning to change my water changing routine, unless I hit problems with the discus. But... just so I know what to do in case I have to. Would I need to make changes to the EI fert routine when doing 2 x 25% (or 2 x 50%) changes instead of 1 x 50%? Or, would I still keep to the same schedule & just ignore the increased frequency of water changes?
If you do end up doing the 2 x 25% or 2 x 50% that will probably mess with your EI a bit.

I would guess you could end up doing something like this:

60 – 80 Gallon Aquariums
Day one:
50% water change
+/- 3/4 tsp KN03
+/- 3/16 tsp KH2P04

Day two:
+/- ¼ tsp (15ml) Trace

Day three:
day off

Day four:
50% water change
+/- 3/4 tsp KN03
+/- 3/16 tsp KH2P04

Day five:
+/- ¼ tsp (15ml) Trace

Day six:
+/- 3/4 tsp KN03
+/- 3/16 tsp KH2P04

Day seven:
day off

Start over....
Just my guess. I am sure others will have better ideas..

When dosing also remember that you are going to have some fish with much higher waste than tetras or other small fish.

Also watch your Discus for stress after dosing ferts. They may not be used to the chemicals and it could stress them out. I have ran into that with the discus at work.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 27-Jun-2007 14:49Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Robyn:

How is it going with your discus? Did they start eating other types of food than bloodworms?
Post InfoPosted 28-Jun-2007 05:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Thanks Wings, I'll keep that info just in case I need it.

Any other thoughts would still be appreciated.

Hi catdancer - not really. Won't eat the spectrum. One of them joined in on mystis shrimp (???spelling) but passed it up tonight. I still think it's the B.Rainbows. I'm going to have to try to catch them on the weekend - but that will probably stress the discus as well, given that I usually have to pull the tank apart to catch a fish.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 28-Jun-2007 13:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Seems to be a more general problem and related to what the fish were fed by the breeder. My discus come from different sources and I had also considerable problems to wean them of bloodworms, which is still a delicacy for them. Brine shrimp was the next food of choice - and Tetra Color Bits. This granule type food is the staple in the diet of all the breeders in my club, but even the discus that I got from Europe took it immediately.

good luck
Post InfoPosted 28-Jun-2007 15:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Have decided to gradually over the next little while to gradually increase the discus to 6, which I think will be fully stocked for the new tank (if they were adults). As juveniles, they are fine in this tank.

Here is discus no. 4 for the tank, still in the plastic bag. I think is probably isn't the best looking specimen, because the rim around his eye isn't fully red. But best for me to start off with the less expensive fellows anyway. He is called a Fire Ruby, according to LFS.

I also removed the B.Rainbow & hope it will help the others feel more confident to eat.

I'm beginning to be tempted to change my plans for a 4ft African tank into another hi-tech planted, but with discus. Love these fish

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 29-Jun-2007 15:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Nice new Discus. I like the color pattern that it has.

It really looks like someone has the round fish bug!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 29-Jun-2007 16:05Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi Wings, yes I have it bad After reading everything I could find on-line & in hard books, I think I'm best to get them all around the same size & not let leave too long a gap in between additions - so the latecomers aren't picked on, due to being "Johnnie come lately's". I can't wait to see him once the lights are turned on - but that won't be until tomorrow.He was quite cheap too (might be because of his eye not having the solid red coloured ring). That's okay by me, though. So far, all seems friendly in there.

Also picked up a pair of Apistogramma Hongsloi Form II for another tank.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 29-Jun-2007 16:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
http://www.amtra.de/images/apistogrammatorf0903_550.jpg
If yours looks like this then that is a sweet fish!

Adding fish about the same size is a good rule to play by.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 29-Jun-2007 19:08Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi Wings - yes that's him. Was a day to late to get a pair of Apistogramma sp.Viejita Form II. Is that the same as LF's? LFS imported a batch of german bred & some wild apistos & advertised them on a local fish forum here. Apistos only released from quarantine on Wednesday & each fish was still in it's individual jar from the breeder (so at least I know no chance of mixing up the pairs by LFS). By the time I got to the shop on Friday afternoon, I got the 2nd last pair of the imports. Only thing left now is a pair of apisto elizabethae "Super red". These fish just flew (swam) out the door.

Oops, forgot to mention I also got a Penang Eruption Discus too.

Thanks for the link to the fish Wings.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 30-Jun-2007 06:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
My old hongsloi:

Sure miss that guy. I missed an infected wound on him when I purchased him, it just got worse until he died. Cool fish though, good luck with 'im.

Post InfoPosted 30-Jun-2007 21:01Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Wow Robyn , you have got the Discus thing bad . Seriously , lovely looking fish and cheap is good as long as you like the look . Good move to remove the rainbows I think .
Look forward to some Photos of the new one .

Enjoy
Garry
Post InfoPosted 01-Jul-2007 07:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Matty, that is a nice looking fish, sorry to hear he didn't last to long for you. Thanks for popping in Countryfish . Anyway, here are the latest pics of new residents. Unfortunately the most colourful red melon (one of the originals) seem to be the bully of the bunch & is picking on the new comers.

The Penang Eruption leads the Fire Ruby on a Tank Tour. Fire Ruby looks cranky to be at the end of the line.

Penang Eruption on a lone circuit

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 01-Jul-2007 13:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Again, very beautiful fish and Fire Ruby does look cranky in the picture! What is a Penang eruption? I have not heard of this strain before, it certainly looks intersting, a bit like a snakeskin.

And there is always a bully, maybe I should send my Blue Diamond to meet with your Red Melon so he/she can get a taste of the same medicine! You have 5 discus now, correct? Is this the number you want to have or are you planning to add some more?
Post InfoPosted 02-Jul-2007 04:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
hi Catdancer, thanks for popping in
What is a Penang eruption?
Can only guess that it is the name a breeder has given to his creation of a new strain.
have not heard of this strain before
Well, I haven't heard of any of the strains before now Yes I have 5 now. I intend to have 6 by the time I'm done. I might trade in one of the red melons, for a different strain - just to add to the variety in the tank.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2007 00:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Robyn, Again thats a very nice fish . Hope they are all getting on well . Hows the new tank coming on ? Any news ?

Garry
Post InfoPosted 07-Jul-2007 05:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Robyn;

a suggstion re veggie food for discus I got from a knowledgeable sales person: Hikari brine shrimp with spirulina! the shrimp were fed spirulina so the veggies come as a nice 'wrap' inside the shrimp. Plus the food is fortified with additional vitamins
Post InfoPosted 07-Jul-2007 16:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
I had always wondered what that food was all about. I thought it was a mix of the two foods. I guess not. Funny thing is I have been doing much the same with feeder shrimp for fish that need them at work.

I know there are also veggie pellets you might be able to get them to eat.

Right now are they still on Blood Worms alone?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 07-Jul-2007 19:51Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
fandan
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 43
male australia
wow really pretty fish TW they look great, look forward to your new log!
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2007 03:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Thanks y'all for popping in

Hi catdancer, I have bought (but not yet opened) the Hikari Spirulina brine shrimp. Wings, no longer just the brine shrimp. I decided to make up a batch of discus hamburger & followed a recipe on the discus forum I visit. Here's the ingredients, in case you're interested:-

1kg beefheart, thoroughly trimmed of any fat and sinew
1/2 kg prawns, the bright orangey red ones
1/2 kg green prawns, shelled and de veined
1/2 kg of any white ocean fish fillets (don't use fresh water fish)
1/2 kg Salmon (yes I know, but your fish are worth it)
1/2 cup frozen green peas
1/2 cup cooked carrot
1 heaped teaspoon of Spirulina powder for every 2kg of mixture
1/4 cup of minced garlic
Gelatin dissolved in boiling water, to bind it all together

Instructions said to run each ingredient through a mincer twice, but I found a food processor did a really good job. It then goes into a big bowl, where it's mixed by hand (wearing gloves, or you'll have green hands) for about 10 minutes. I put 3 teaspoonful of mixture into each zip lock bag, flatten them by hand, and lay on a tray to freeze flat. Because it's frozen in thin layers, you can snap off the amount you want to use. It made soooo much, I don't think I'll have to buy or make them more food for 12 months. One by one, they are all eating it. By that I mean, on 1st offering only one fish tried it & by now (3 days later) all but 1 fish is loving it. I am worried about the one not eating it, so I will offer blood worm tonight to see if he is just not eating as it's a strange food to him, or because he might be sick.
Hows the new tank coming on ? Any news ?
Well, I popped along to Bunnings hardware today, to look into the DIY options. I think I have a plan now for how to do it myself, but I need to enlist hubby's help & I don't know how long it will take to sell him on the idea of being my tradesman. Here's what I have to convince him to do:-

cut hole in the false bottom of the cupboard in 4 places (one in each corner of cupboard)

one of these will go into each hole, standing vertically as shown (although not leaning over)

The bolt screws either up or down, so that the height can be adjusted (sort of a makeshift jack). Running horizontally on the cupboard ceiling will be a steel bar, which will rest on top of the screw shown in picture. The vertical screw will be tightened, so that the horizontal bar will held securely in place.

I think that will take care of the strengthening issues.

Next, I have to get him to cut out a section of the back wall of cupboard to allow filter hoses to make their way to the tank.

Next, I have to get him to cut a section out of the shelf, to allow the filter to fit in the cupboard.

So, that's my latest plan to move things along. Anyone see any problems?

Hi fandan, thanks for the fish compliment

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2007 10:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Here are some fresh pictures.

The 1st shows the windelov in a rear tilted position, forming the cave behind the discus

Wasn't really happy with the above look, so it's now back in it's lower & flatter position. Notice - no cave now. I'd like to trim the windelov, but how does that work out? IMO the nicest part of the plant are the twisty bits at the end of each leaf. Any advice on how to trim & how it turns out would be appreciated. Everything is very overgrown & overcrowed as they wait patiently for the long awaited day of rehousing to larger quarters.

Last 2 shots for today. The blue discus is the same one as in the top shot. Depending upon the light, the angle & perhaps even his mood, his colour can change dramatically. Note the markings - it is the same fish. The colour change is true with the fish behind him. To the right is a shot of the same fish. Also, notice Mr & Mrs Cac checking each other out on the left.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2007 13:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Robyn,

Looking very nice and green

About trimming the Windelov: It is just another form of fern, so trimming is done in the same fashion than common java fern. Now, there are multiple options of course:

- Simply cut off extending rhizomes to make the group smaller in surface size.
- Always good is to remove the various babies as they fill the group and make it very dense.
- Lastly, you can also take it all out, cut off newer pieces of the rhizomes (the extensions) and remove all old growth, and tie only the new growth back onto the wood. This way the whole group is smaller and refreshed.

Hope this helps,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2007 14:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Wow, you are such a good 'mother'

I really admire you for preparing your own food - I was toying with the idea a while ago but forgot about it as my fish do not like beefheart at all. What made you decide to do it after your initial reluctance? Not eating regular foods? I have to say I am tempted again ... and if thefish don't like it it sounds like a good cat food Is it messy/bad on the water quality? the commercially available preparations are.

Beautiful photos of the fish as always and I love the 'Windelow cave'.
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2007 17:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
hi catdancer
What made you decide to do it after your initial reluctance? Not eating regular foods?
The reason was because they were not eating anything other than bloodworm and I didn't think that was so good. I tried spectrum pellet, fresh & frozen brine shrimp, frozen beef heart mix. They turned their nose up at the lot. The ingredients in the mix I found seemed so healthy. It has lots of other good stuff, besides the beef heart.
Is it messy/bad on the water quality? the commercially available preparations are.
Time alone will tell, I suppose. I only put in a very little bit at a time & don't drop the next bit in, until it's gone. Yes, I do see some mess when they bite at it - but all the other greedy little fish (including the corys) also love the stuff, so I hope they will clean up the dregs. I always feed in the one spot, so any waste always drops there. If I find it's a problem, I will siphon out a few litres daily from around the feeding area.

If you do try it, I warn you it will be smelly when you are mixing it all up (strong garlic & fishy smell) & doesn't look that great (green from the spirulina). Not cheap to purchase, as lots of the ingredients are pricey (at least here - eg salmon, prawns) but when you see how much it makes & how long it will last you - I don't think it works out expensive after all.

Oh - and I was told it is very, very important that you cut out every single bit of sinew & fat from the beef heart. The carrot is to be cooked, but the peas are not. The peas are to be frozen. Apparently, all these finer points make a difference to the chewiness (& therefore digestibility) of the mix for the discus.

Let me know how you go, if you do make it.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2007 18:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Robyn , That sounds like a major undertaking . Hope hubby is willing and able .
Think I would baulk at all the work and tell you to go buy a new stand . Or is that your plan

I agree with Cat , you are a fantastic mother to go to all that trouble to feed the Discus . Well done .

I'm interested in the Windelov as well . Is it a version of Java Fern ?. Any info would be appreciated

Thanks
Garry
Post InfoPosted 09-Jul-2007 15:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Think I would baulk at all the work and tell you to go buy a new stand . Or is that your plan
No, I am stuck, with what I am stuck with. So you "get the picture" here is the current layout of the rumpus / fish room, showing the left, middle & right side views of the room.

As the furniture was custom made to fit the room - there is absolutely no room for a new cabinet. How easy it would be, if I could just do that.

Maybe my description of the work made it sound complicated - but I don't think it is. Plus I'm not fussy about neatness of the cuts (just want it done).

Here you see how hubby made a rather untidy looking opening for tank hoses. Basically just drilled holes through the wood next to each other - until the rough circle popped out.
Here he cut a hole in the shelf, so my C02 bottle cout fit in. This I think will be the toughest part of the project - as the shelf needs to be cut right out, so that the filter fits in.

If he'd let me at his tools, I'd do it myself, I'm so desperate Since January I've had the filter, the lights, the eco complete & the tanks were made about 2 or 3 months ago. It is very frustrating that the only thing stopping me is alteration to these cupboards. I'm getting very bored with the waiting & if he'd give me the tools, I'd do it tonight.

The end plan will see the tank in the middle (current 43G) replaced by a new 72G. On the left hand side the current 23.5G tank will be replaced by new 79G African Tank. On another wall (not pictured) the current 20G will be replaced by 72G divided tank (planted - with breeding apistos). The other small tanks scattered around the room will return to their rightful owner soon, as 'm only minding them.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2007 16:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
If he'd let me at his tools, I'd do it myself
Well you are married to him. What is his, is yours and yours is his. Just wait until he is gone and do the work!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 13-Jul-2007 13:44Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
The next time you have some free time, you might go to the
nearest hardware store and purchase a "hole saw." They
come in various types from a hand operated one with a
small thin blade, to a power driven one (saber saw), or
the style that you ought to have used, a circular saw that
fits into any power drill. The o it drills can be up
to 4 inches in diameter in 1/2 inch steps. The blades are
thin metal that fit into a circular form. You choose the
size hole you want, insert the blade in the correct slots,
tighten a set screw, stick the assembly into a power drill
where a drill would normally fit, tighten the drill, and
push it through the wood.

From looking at the hole your hubby drilled, he just
drilled a set of holes in a circle, and "connected the
dots" then knocked it out leaving the half holes and
rough edges.

Frank

Post InfoPosted 13-Jul-2007 15:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
TW,

I haven't checked in on this in a while, and I wish I had! Very impressive! I'm a sucker for tanks with the dense, natural look

great job again, def. going to pay more attention to your log.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 13-Jul-2007 19:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi all

Gary, windelov is a type of java fern. [link]http://www.plantgeek.net/images/plantpics/Windlov2.jpg [/link]I've seen it referred to as Lace Java Fern too.
Just wait until he is gone and do the work
Tempting as that might be Wings, I wouldn't dare. So far he is saying he will do the job - but "wants to investigate all options". Naturally, the wife's DIY idea can't possibly be up to scratch & must be improved upon by the husband Hubby thinks we should use something like this http://www.globalindustrial.com/gcs/product/productInfo.web?infoParam.mode=1&infoParam.itemKey=30024904 but that will be sooo much more We plan to use 4 supports (one each corner), so cost will be heaps. Anyway the "investigations" will continue.

Frank - join the dots with his drill is exactly what hubby did (see - that's how unfussy I am). As long as nothing is done to ruin the exterior look of the furniture - I won't be critical of an untidy job - but I will look into the "hole saw" things you mention.

Hi NowherMan6 . Thanks for popping in & thanks for the tank compliment

As usual, nothing much has changed. I might have to trim things next week, as the new tank plan is just dragging on & things (particularly my riccia) are being too shaded.

Here are a few (sorry - quite a few) random tank shots to finish off today's post

EDIT: So far all seems to go well, since increasing the temp for the discus. No ill effects on plants.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 15-Jul-2007 15:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
You know, if that were my tank, I might be tempted to
remove the red rock that is poking out through the jungle.
It, and the beautiful red fish are a bit much and in the
one shot, they kind of clash.
I think I'd change it for a darker rock, grey or black in
color, just something other than that redish orange.

Frank

Post InfoPosted 15-Jul-2007 19:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Not much to say there Robyn,

All is looking good and green and fresh

The only thing I noticed is that Discus for sure make the tank look small, but that is not your fault.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2007 01:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
The only thing I noticed is that Discus for sure make the tank look small, but that is not your fault.
Well - I guess it is - me being the one fallen in with discus. The new tank will be bigger - but not that much. It's only 4inches longer & 6 inches higher. Doesn't seem much in inches - but the water volume increases to 71.1G.

Makes me wish the new tanks weren't already made. The other new tank (4ft) is only 20inches high (I did that because it is planned for Africans, who stay towards middle / bottom area). If it was 24inches high, I'd make it a hi-tech planted discus tank, so there'd be another planted log.

Sometimes I hate decisions. When you are deciding - the world is your oyster & you can plan anything you like. But ........... then you decide & you think you are settled ............ but then you see a particular discus you love & a new love affair has begun ............ the regret for the tank you have already planned begins

Anyway, To help make it 3ft tank look bigger - I'm going to try sawing off a big section from the under portion & rear of the windelov driftwood. It's so big. If I can cut it down & thin it enough, I hope to make it more like an island that will be surrounded by other plants - eg riccia. But - more will come about my half formed scape plans when the time is right. One thing I have learned - discourage well meaning family members from buying expensive hard scape items for your tank - otherwise you're stuck with using them.

Hi Frank - many things will change (probably including the rocks) when this tank closes down. At the moment, the rocks are babysitting the riccia until the new home is ready.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2007 03:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I know what you mean, with "There is always a more suitable tank for me" - although you didn't say that straight out.

I have the same feelings with my 40G, now I wish I would have bought a deeper (not higher) tank, but that would have had to be almost for sure custom ( $$$ ).

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2007 13:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Robyn . Thanks for sharing the photos of the DIY job for the cabinets . Gives a great insight into the size of the job
Good Luck with it . BTW I agree with Frank, best piece of gear I ever bought .
Also your photos look pretty good to me . But if you want to get better at editing and getting better results for the log try this site. It is helping me a lot . http://www.microsoft.com/uk/homepc/digitalimage/more/ImageEditingBasics.mspx

Pay special attention to the stuff on Jpeg compression .

Garry
Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2007 16:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
I know what you mean, with "There is always a more suitable tank for me" - although you didn't say that straight out
Dead right. I haven't even set either up, but I already feel both my new tanks are completely the wrong sizes
Gives a great insight into the size of the job
The pics were more to show why I had no choice & can't just buy a new cabinet - plus to show I'm not fussy if hubby does a dodgy job (eg joining the dots).

Thanks for the picture link. Haven't had a chance to look at it yet - but will save the link to check out later.

No pics today. Nothing changed other than the riccia rocks got a haircut at water change tonight.

Only other comment is an observation about discus & water changes. For fish that are supposed to need frequent water changes - they certainly hate them taking place. They sulk & hide for the rest of the night & won't come out.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2007 15:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
The tank looks great Robyn. That blyxa is awesome. I wish mine would have grown for me. I'll have to stick with tenellus I s'pose. Great work, awesome discus!

There's sure been an outcropping of discus lately.

Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2007 15:35Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Hi Robyn:

your discus will adjust to water changes over time. Mine were the same but they chnged a lot and 'digested' even the drastic intervention that came with the remake of my tank (they were all in the aquarium). Nowadays they just act slightly annoyed but paddle around again shortly after I'm finished. On the other hand, maybe mine are a bit strange

Are all of your fish eating the homemade food? I am still tempted ...
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2007 15:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
They love it. That's all the fish in the tank - although the smaller fish all give way to the bigger rounder fish. The discus won't touch pellet. They come to the front, but just look at it, asking mum "where's the real food". Won't touch frozen brine shrimp either - but do like blood worm. I probably wouldn't have bothered with the homemade food, if they would have eaten my spectrum pellet. I didn't think a diet of only bloodworms was good enough. Now that I made it though, I have no regrets.

I have enough to last at least 6 months & I think even longer. I have about 60 plastic snaplock plastic baggies of the stuff frozen in thin layers. Each day, I snapp off the amount I think I'll need. I am still using the 1st bag with at least a quarter left in it. I have been using this same bag since I made it (about 2 or 3 weeks) so you can see I will not have to make more for a very long time.

Thanks for the compliment Matty. My blyxa is doing well. I have no room for the extra plants that continue to pop out, but am loathe to throw them out in case I need them for the new setup.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 20-Jul-2007 01:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Catdancer, forgot to mention something - but you probably know already. It can take a couple of days for discus to recognise & eat a new food. On 1st feed of homemade food, only 1 ate it. One by one, they all starting eating it. Now they are forever begging for food when they see me. Unfortunately, still no success with spectrum - which I add daily for the other fish. They won't touch it.

Thought I'd mention a few changes to the tanks population:-

Traded in 1 red melon discus for 1 Super Alenquer Discus (no pics, as lights are out during a preventative worming treatment)
Added 6 cory caudimaculatus - which are meant to prefer higher temps than other corys

Sadly, I'm losing my harly rasboras, which I put down to the higher temps - as I didn't have a problem with them previously

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 22-Jul-2007 14:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Thanks for the info, Robyn, I am more and more inclined to prepare my own fish food (the only problem is: how does a vegetarian find out where to purchase beef heart? I am at a loss ...)

Any chance that you will start your new tank soon? I am certainly looking forward to your new log. I read that you want to set up an African themed tank, fish-wise or plantwise?

Another dump question from a veggie eater : do you cook the fish or is it raw when you put it through the blender?
Post InfoPosted 23-Jul-2007 05:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Robyn
Love to see some shots of your Corys when you get a chance.
I'm thinking of getting some and I'm interested in the different types.

Thanks

Garry
Post InfoPosted 23-Jul-2007 12:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi Gary, if ever I manage to take a half decent shot of the new cories, I will. In the meantime, here is a link with a picture. They are quite cute, I think. http://www.aquaworld.netfirms.com/Siluroidei/Corydoras/Corydoras_caudimaculatus.htm

Hi catdancer.
I read that you want to set up an African themed tank, fish-wise or plantwise?
These will be African Rift Lake Cichlids, so not planted. I might add the odd tough plant, but African Rift Lake guys apparently rip your plants up, so not much point. I was really excited about them, until I discovered "round fish". As the tank was specifically planned for the Africans & they keep to the mid/ bottom water levels, I only made their tank 20" high. A few posts above I was having a sook about my new tanks being the wrong size & that's what I was referring to. I now wish I'd made it 24 inches high, cause if it was, it might well become a 4ft long, 2ft high hi-tech planted discus tank instead of an African tank. I think 20 inches is a bit on the low side for discus though. Plus I have bought $160 worth of coral rocks, which would be wasted, as they wouldn't do at all for discus.

Unfortunately, progress is slow. Hubby says he has prowled around some hardware stores & says he is gathering his info. Meanwhile, the year just ticks away with nothing happening

Run out of time for now, but I will send you the link from the homemade recipe I use. I know my fish like this version (and there are several versions around). I'll send it soon, I promise.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 23-Jul-2007 16:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fandan
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 43
male australia
i like the corys very much- they look like the ones i was hoping to get myself (i was trying to get some guapore corys but all the lfs in the area said that none of their suppliers had ever heard of them! so i am getting a few panda corys instead).
Post InfoPosted 01-Aug-2007 07:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
Kudos: 88
Votes: 73
male usa
TW

I love the fish you have, I wish i had the experience to handle discuss. I have yet to handle regular FW fish. I am also planning a Ciclid tank, probably a 75 gallon. Do you think i should get it long or high because I was going to use a 48" length and then go up.

Good luck on your new tank.

Thanks for your input as always, Shane
http://thetanklog.blogspot.com/ - [ Thanks to ScottF ]
http://www.natureaquariumclubofutah.com/main.html
Post InfoPosted 02-Aug-2007 06:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi Fandan, I like these corys too. 1st time I ever saw them & lucky, they like higher temps than other corys, so perfect for my planted discus tank.

Hi fishmonster, thanks for the fish compliment. I them. Hope I can look after them well. They're a fairly new acquisition for me & I'm learning as I go. I've only been keeping freshwater fish for about 1.5yrs, before taking the plunge into discus.
I'm also planning a Ciclid tank
Do you mean African Rift Lake Cichlid? I have a few South American dwarf cichlids, but I'm planning an African Cichlid tank (mbuna). It will be 79G (48"L x 19"W x 20H" ).
Do you think i should get it long or high because I was going to use a 48" length and then go up.
Before taking any advice from me about African Cichlids, remember I'll be an absolute newbie myself & so not the best source But hey, maybe we can learn together
From what I've read, these guys prefer mid & lower levels of the tank & height's not so important (therefore maybe wasted??) Even so, I wouldn't go lower than 20"H. I couldn't make my tank any wider than 19" (due to cabinet limitations). If not restricted by cabinet width, I'd rather go wider & longer. My dream 4ft African Cichlid tank would be: 48"L x 24"W x 20"H. The extra width gives more room to make the rocky territory these guys love.

As a contradiction to above, my son's Africans use all water levels in his tank - so maybe extra height wouldn't be a waste after all??? Some warn a 24" high tank can be hard for maintenance (you need a long arm & might get wet leaning in & down), but have a look at countryfish's planted tank log - his may be even higher & he seems to have no trouble. Some also say 24"H = poor light penetration for plants on substrate (not a problem for Africans, but something to consider if you think you'll swap this tank over to hi-tech planted in the future). Again, look at countryfish's tank, he seems to have no light issues in his tall tank & my new planted tank will be 24" high.

In summary, IMO, if you have to make a choice between a high tank or a wide tank - I'd go for wider. But if you want to go both high & wide - why not?

Hope some of this helps.

No plant or pic updates. Still waiting .... waiting .... waiting .... for the day I can shut this tank down & start the new one

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 02-Aug-2007 10:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Hi Robyn:

Now I am confused, the C. caudimaculatus is listed in the Baensch as suited for a temperature range 72 - 79 F equivalent to 22 - 26 C. The C. haraldschulzi with 75 - 82 F corresponding to 24 - 28 C. The latter is also the species that my LFS who carries and breeds discus recommends. Any ideas? The C. harladschulzi is awfully cute but also hideously expensive...

Claudia
Post InfoPosted 03-Aug-2007 15:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi Claudia
C. harladschulzi
They do sound like they're better suited. Mine are only described as liking warmer water (as compared to other corys), but you're right to say up to 26 degrees. I've never seen C.harladschulzi - but I'll look for them now that you mention they like even higher. Wish I knew of them before I bought these guys, though I have to say they very cute & bouncy balls of activity in the tank.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 04-Aug-2007 08:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Robyn,

I just paid my favorite LFS a visit and talked to an extremely knowledgeable and nice person there. C. haraldschultzi as well as C. sterbai are very suited for discus tanks! In fact, I checked their current 'wild discus' breeding tank (which they display for show purposes, very much to the demise of fry) and what do I see? Two fat fully grown female C. sterbai and 3 mature boys! They have kept these guys for a year successfully with the discus at 86 F. C.sterbai is also regularly bred in the aquatic community here and supposedly suited for higher temperatures. Here is a pic of the object of my not so recent affection (I am toying with the idea of getting several of those for quite a while). Here is C. haraldschultzi:

and here is the species to commemorate the contributions of Gunther Sterba:
Sterbai is darker and the pectoral fins are more orange than those of Schultzi and at least where I live, Sterbai is more affordable.

One more piece of info: C. caudimaculautus should also be relatively well-suited! There appears to be a lot of misinfo out there - planetcatfish posts actually the SAME pic for both species - sterbai and harladschulltzi!

Aside from this, my LFS suggests to get in touch with "Ian X" in the UK through planetcatfish if desperate, as this person is considered the absolute Corydoreas Guru having bred almost every species that is available on the market.

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2007 06:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Robyn , Thanks for providing that info. I love these guys but they are quite rare up here .
Just one question , the temp thing . From what you've said I take it that these guys can
take a fairly wide range of temps? Is that right .
How goes the handyman BTW , is he getting busy yet

Garry
Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2007 13:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TW
They handyman has set to work and was not satisfied with the DIY jack that I came up with (see 1st pic below)

Being a typical bloke - he just had to go BIGGER. This shows 4 of the 6 supports he has put in the cupboard. This cupboard could hold up a car now. In fact, if he over tightens the jacks, he can feel cupboard & tank starting to lift from the floor

Yes, yes, I know the cuts are not the neatest, but at least it is being done. He is going to put a false bottom over all. He has yet to cut a bigger hole for my filter hoses etc. He miscalculated his cut for the power point, so that hole is 3 times bigger than needed. But I don't care - I'm HAPPY, I can start my tanks.

This shot shows one cupboard (with opened doors) where the 4 supports are. Next to it is what used to be a narrow pull out draw that housed CD's. Hubby insisted that 4 supports would not be enough. Now this is a "false door" & behind it are 2 more supports. I will have to find somewhere else to store my CDs.

So, I have less usable space in my cupboard now, but at least I should be able to start filling this tank tomorrow.

Hubby is taking a break now, & will do the other cupboard once I have finished setting up the African tank.

In the meantime, I thought I'd let you know that at least things are progressing. Hopefully, it will be less than a month before hubby is motivated again. The October long weekend is looking good.

See ya.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 07-Sep-2007 15:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Let's face it: you got yourself an entire new 'stand' consisting of 4 jacks with the original cupboard providing nothig but the wrapper to cover them ...

Have fun setting up your tanks

Post InfoPosted 07-Sep-2007 16:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
I know I will curse the thickness of those jacks, as well as the horizontal turning part of them will get in the way. The original version I picked was much thinner & didn't have the horizontal turning thing. It just wound up by rotation of the much thinner vertical structure itself. But to get it done, I had to go along with the new plan. Overall, just happy it's happening. I know you guys in the planted world won't be so interested in this tank, but I'll most likely put a pic up in the appropriate forum section.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 08-Sep-2007 01:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
TW,

I am sure that your tank isn't going anywhere!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 09-Sep-2007 13:58Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
That's for sure Wings. But I now have 2 out of 3 of the new tanks up & running, so I have to be happy about that

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 09-Sep-2007 14:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 20-Jan-2008 08:55
DeletedPosted 20-Jan-2008 08:55
DeletedPosted 20-Jan-2008 08:56
DeletedPosted 20-Jan-2008 08:56
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Robyn...Happy New Year ... Always fun to watch the breeding antics of big fish like these . I can't help you with your questions ...don't know anything about round fish ... Looks like they are happy in their home though .

Gotta be happy about that .

Garry
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2008 12:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
congrats, dear Robyn

on your breeding pair!! Ahem, didn't you once say that you do nt like the Blue Diamonds? Looks like you got a Blue Diamond dad - the breeding tube of the scribbled or whatever this strain is called looks pretty wide to me. I was told (and shown) that the male breeding tube is very thin, while the female is short and quite wide. based on what I spotted in the picture I am suggesting that the Blue Diamond is male if you have a pair (females can forms pairs as well and they will both spawn w/o any wrigglers).

Keep us posted and good luck!

Claudia
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2008 22:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 20-Jan-2008 23:17
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
This post was originally above Countryfish & Catdancer's, but accidentally deleted. So they are responding to this post, even though it comes after theirs now.

I know they have ziltch chance of making it in my community tank, but I was surprised last night to find eggs on the filter intake of my planted community tank. I hope, at least, that means they must be happy in their home. They laid on the filter intake tube & are guarding - sometimes both together or sometimes taking turns. They both leave the eggs to feed, so their guarding skills need working on.

Hoping eggs aren't eaten before at least wriggler stage, cause then I'll know if I have a male & female, or if it's 2 females. The parents are a blue diamond from Xtreme & the other, I don't know. The LFS said "Fire Ruby" but know that's just a breeders name.

Here's "Fire Ruby" where I tried to get a shot of the breeding tube. Any thoughts on if male or female? The tube seemed more prominant yesterday. Seems to have retracted a bit today. Also anyone know what type of discus this really is?

Couldn't get a decent shot showing the blue diampnd's tube, plus there was a lot less to see. Was a different shape & not as prominant.

Here's a couple shots of them guarding.

If I can know for sure they are a confirmed pair, I'll move them to a breeding tank when I get back from hols.

Cheers

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2008 23:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Thanks for the New Year wishes Garry & Claudia.
Ahem, didn't you once say that you do nt like the Blue Diamonds?
Well, yes I did. Seems I had just never seen a nice one. There are lots of poor quality discus around. The blue diamonds I'd seen were all dirty looking, without red eyes. I love the way this one looks though.
Looks like you got a Blue Diamond dad - the breeding tube of the scribbled or whatever this strain is called looks pretty wide to me. I was told (and shown) that the male breeding tube is very thin, while the female is short and quite wide. based on what I spotted in the picture I am suggesting that the Blue Diamond is male
That sounds like what I saw on him. As it was so short, it didn't show up in any pic. Discus forum said that Fire Ruby (Red Turk) is female. Also said eggs look infertile & that this is often the case with 1st few spawns in a community tank.
females can forms pairs as well and they will both spawn w/o any wrigglers
I know. That's why I'm keen to either sex them or see at least a wriggler, so I'll know for sure.

A few eggs this morning are white, but the parent's don't seem to know they're supposed to eat the bad eggs. I don't expect success, but if even one "wriggles" for me, I'll be pleased.

Cheers

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2008 23:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
As it was so short, it didn't show up in any pic

That's what I wanted to say, sorry for being so unclear about it. I had based the gender assignment of the pair on the appearance of the wide tube that is apparent on cute little Fire Ruby.
There are lots of poor quality discus around

Same here, it is difficult to come across a nice one that is also offered for a decent price! Not to forget health.

How big is Fire Ruby and how is the pretty Turk doing which you nursed back to health?

I am currently (again) battling a relapse with spironucleus in my pretty female Blue Diamond .... 10 days of Metro which hopefully wiped out any traces of the darn flagellate in her digestive tract!
Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2008 04:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
sorry for being so unclear about it.
No, you weren't unclear. I was trying to say I understood you. So, it seems likley I do have a pair?
Same here, it is difficult to come across a nice one that is also offered for a decent price! Not to forget health
Not sure of discus prices in US, but he was reasonable @ $60, considering the ugly ones I've seen around for much more.
How big is Fire Ruby and how is the pretty Turk doing which you nursed back to health?
I will check Fire Ruby's size. The patient is fully recovered, but stubbornly won't eat food that's not red, whereas everyone else now eats everything offered. Means I keep having to offer tetra color bits, which I'd prefer not to as my mixed albino is bright yellow. Mind you, he's very pretty that way, but I wouldn't mind seeing him back to normal colour as I forgot what that looks like. He & the blue diamond are my favs. I also have a super red alenquer (named tiger), as well as the new red alenquer that's in QT as we speak.
I am currently (again) battling a relapse with spironucleus in my pretty female Blue Diamond .... 10 days of Metro which hopefully wiped out any traces of the darn flagellate in her digestive tract!
Bummer. What is spironucleus ? Is that a form of internal worms? You're lucky that you can freely use the Metro. So difficult to get here, as it's prescription only. Have you ever tried to get metro prescribed for your fish from a vet. I've managed it twice, but it's not easy. Good luck with the treatment. I'll check your thread for updates.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2008 05:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jase101
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 273
Votes: 1
male australia
hi robyn - a bit off thread here, but i was at barry's shop in matraville picking up some apistos on saturday just gone, and he mentioned you were coming in later that day - pity we didn't bump into each other! i bought a gorgeous pair of agassizi, and a pair of the super-red cacs. all GORGEOUS and have settled nicely. did you get a new male? it was hard to choose one - so many good looking boys in there!! hope all is well,

justin
Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2008 08:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TW
Hey Justin - Happy New Year. Yes, pity we missed each other. When I got there, he told me I just missed Thomas (from discusforums) who bought a pair of Elizabethan. Apparently a pretty special pair going by the price Barry quoted. Must have forgotten to mention you'd been there too. He must have guessed I might know you, as I can't even remember mentioning I visit fishprofiles, only discusforums.

Yes I got a nice male agassizi,a nice pair of double red cacs with a spare female and a pair of PT.nigerian reds. Also a red alencer discus. They are all doing well in QT. Yes gorgeous, & yours must be even more so I bet, since you had first choice Seriously though, I've been waiting for a decent shipment of apistos for a while. Only went there for one fish & came back with seven Good luck with your new apistos.

How big is fire ruby
Tried to measure her & from mouth to end of tail, she is around 3.5inches or 9cm. So still a bit of growing to do, I think? The eggs are almost all gone.

Cheers

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2008 12:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jase101
-----
Big Fish
male australia
hi robyn - i used to be on discusforums too, which is the link to barry, i think. i had my eye on the elizabethae too - they were gorgeous...but my boyfriend has made it quite clear that there are to be no more fishtanks, and i'm at capacity! my panduro have just spawned, and the new agassizi female has selected her nest site in the 6footer, right under my angels who have just spawned on a giant e.bleheri - i think it's intentional, as the angels are such great guards, but she can slip in at ground level to her little cave...hope the male is brave enough to follow her to do his part of the job!

regards,

justin
Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2008 22:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TW
Justin, good luck with the panduro spawn. Are you going to try to raise them, or are they taking their chances in the community tank? I have sad news, my new female PT.nigerian red didn't make it in QT. She was dead tonight Will have to see if Barry has another female for me.

Just in case anyone would like to see, I've posted some updated pics of my discus in this thread:-

Discus Pictures

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 22-Jan-2008 16:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
What is spironucleus ? Is that a form of internal worms?

I got this info from links to a Dutch web site posted on discus forum. Research has shown that it is spironucleus, a flagellate, and not hexamita, which causes lateral line erosion as well as the intenstinal manifestation of the disease. The parasite lives in the intestines where it can persist for a long time w/o causing noticeable problems until the immune system of the fish is stressed again (like having to live with an obnoxious bully and child rearing responsibilities ).

According to most recent research prolonged treatment is required to eradicate the culprit (makes sense as the duration of treatment is determined by the parasite you wish to eradicate, while dosage is dependent on the unfortunate host and it's metabolism). My little discus )4.5 inches) is eating, no stringy feces anymore and shows normal color. But I've seen that before ...

But I don't want to vent too much, looks like you have your own fishy problems at hand. Hope they will resolve soon!

Claudia

P.S. Post pics of your discus Fire Ruby is a horny little teenager! She still has some growing to do I did not see wrigglers until the third or fourth spawn, but the parents were still not ready to provide the fry with mucus. It takes time with round fish, my favorite LFS has a nice show tank with a breeding pair of gorgeous wild discus and it took them 4 or 5 spawns as well
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2008 06:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TW
Thanks for the disease & treatment info, Claudia. Please, vent all you like. As well as getting it off your chest, you share your experience & knowledge & educate me
looks like you have your own fishy problems at hand. Hope they will resolve soon!
Do you mean the death of the female PT.nigerian red? Well, that's just one of those things - happens sometimes with new acquisitions - she was a new purchase from Sunday. She, plus other purchases were/are all in bare bottom QT. I've replaced her already with another 2 females I picked up today. Had to get them while they were available - don't often see them around. Will be another month or so till the new fish move into their respective permanent home/s. Meanwhile, they're undergoing preventative internal worm / parasite treatment. Learned my lesson well with "the patient".
P.S. Post pics of your discus
I did. Did you see the link to discus pictures? Anyway, click here to see them Discus Pictures Hope you like them. I think the only one not in the pics is "the patient". Randy Fire Ruby is the red turk in the back left of one of the pictures. BTW, might have underestimate Fire Ruby's size. She was not being helpful when I had my measure out - kept moving. I didn't want to overstate, so I understated. When I can I'll do a re-measure.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2008 16:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jase101
-----
Big Fish
male australia
hi robyn - the panduro are in their own tank with some ember tetras, but the female has eaten about three spawns before. she's the most beautiful but most aggressive female apisto i've ever owned. the aggies have picked out a nesting spot right under my spawning angels in the community tank, and the cacs are completely disinterested in each other!

sorry about the nigerian - i was looking at those too - gorgeous. glad you got more girls - always gotta grab them when they're available, don't we??

justin
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2008 07:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
platy boy
-----
Banned
Kudos: 74
Votes: 30
male canada
EditedEdited by platy boy
how about a updated full tank shot TW?

33 gallon 7 neon tetras-5 platys-3 bleeding heart tetras-2 corys-1 rainbow shark-2 L83 gibby plecos
Post InfoPosted 27-Jan-2008 17:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Robyn:

thanks for pointing me to the discus page. I did not notice it before (sitting in front of the computer with my eyes shut? ). All I can say: keep feeding those color bits - I like discus with reddish coloration and like the 'pseudo albino' after the color transformation much better! The picture of the first acquired red alencer shows a very beautiful fish. How many discus do you have by now? I am jealous.

Post InfoPosted 28-Jan-2008 05:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Justin, that panduro sounds a very feisty lady. Good luck with her. I'm a little worried about the male Nigerian red now, especially as he will finish his QT under care of my 19yr.

Hi Claudia
picture of the first acquired red alencer shows a very beautiful fish
Yes, red Alenquer & "pseudo albino" are my favourite's.
How many discus do you have
There's Albino / Red Alenquer "Tiger" / Red Melon / Red Turk "Fire Ruby" / Red Turk "The Patient" / Blue Diamond, & Red Alencer, so that makes 7. I've got my name down for a wild Royal Blue, but I'm not sure if that will come through or not.

BTW, I've won my bet, so it will be a 6ft home for them. First we have to block up a window the new tank will be partly in front of, organise new curtains (from inside it will still look like a window) & then I get to set up the tank. Should be worth the wait.

Leaving for Surfers Paradise (Gold Coast, QLD) tomorrow for a short 10 day holiday, so hope we can get started soon after. I expect blocking up the window may take time (remember how long reinforcing the cabinets took).

Hi platy boy, thanks for popping in. Ask me for pics of my other 2 tanks & I'd gladly oblige (on return from hols) but this tank is a mess. For most of this year, plan was to shut it down & tfr all to a 72G I have sitting empty (apart from being used to grow out HC & other plants). BUT, hubby & I had a bet, which I won. Means he's buying me a 118G tank. So all year, my 43G is a complete mess. Plants stuck everywhere, in no order - no design. Just marking time, until I knew which tank I was setting up. Soon the fun will begin, & then I promise pictures to detail the whole set up. Will be a C02, planted beach front home to discus, Apistogramma, cories & cardinals (plus a few left over current residents too). Hope you pop in for a visit of the new tank, in a month or two.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 28-Jan-2008 14:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
I've won my bet, so it will be a 6ft home for them

CONGRATS! How exciting - there is a lot of aquascaping that can be done with such a tank!

red Alenquer & "pseudo albino" are my favourite's
Fire Ruby and "The patient" are very pretty as well!

Okay, Surfer girl, have a great time taming the waves. Your readers at FP are eagerly awaiting your return and news about the big tank!

Claudia
Post InfoPosted 28-Jan-2008 17:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Robyn...congrats on winning the bet..and the new tank of course . Should be great fun

Be carefull not to fall of the cliffs that pass for beaches on the Gold Coast ATM. Lots of erosion due to the weather ..have fun and hope the sun shines for you .

Garry
Post InfoPosted 29-Jan-2008 01:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TW
Be carefull not to fall of the cliffs that pass for beaches on the Gold Coast ATM
The beach was quite a shock. Not at all it's usual beautiful self. It's usually such a gorgeous long stretch of smooth white sand. We're runners and enjoy running from Surfers Paradise Beach all the way to Burleigh Heads Beach, on the sand (you just have that one little bit just before Burleigh, where you climb off the beach up the stairs & over onto Burleigh Beach). It was such a difference. You're right, cliffs all the way, from the storm erosion. Storm also seemed to have caused a lot of debri not normally seen. Funny foam in the waves, left brown stains on the beach at times. Never seen it like it before & we've been going every summer for the past 13yrs. I think the businesses that rely on tourisim have suffered a bit this summer

But I really regret the international tourists seeing it like that. Hate they may think that's how it always is.

Having said that, we still had LOTS of FUN
Okay, Surfer girl, have a great time taming the waves
Despite the above comments, hubby & I hit the surf most days, armed with our boards. Loads of fun.

PS, I got that wild discus I spoke of. Bit disappointed. Picked him from a picture & had to pre-order & pay. He's nice & I hope he colours up, but he doesn't look like the pic I chose. He is a wild Royal Blue, or at least that's what he was sold as.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 12-Feb-2008 23:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TW
There are some new fish pics in this thread, all residents of this tank.

http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/threads/30247.2.htm?0.9847264#333505

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 17-Feb-2008 14:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Nice to hear that you had a great vacation (and I am sooo jealous of your running experience)! When will you start setting up the big discus tank? I am on pins and needles to see how it goes. Your new Wild Blue does look nice in the pictures, don't be disappointed, he will color up! In fact, I like him much better than the Heckel but I am not a fan of the latter. 'Ramzes' the blue bully was rather unattractive when I bought him but he turned into a nice looking fish after a while (outside, not character wise). How are your attempts at breeding dwarf cichlids coming along?

Claudia

Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2008 00:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TW
(and I am sooo jealous of your running experience)! When will you start setting up the big discus tank?
I can't wait either, but it is finding time to organise what needs to be done firstly. A builder needs to board up window (from outside). Need to arrange for new curtains. One more cupboard needs to be reinforced (remember the jacks). Work is so busy, I'm enrolled in a study course & I'm in the midst of training for a marathon.

Yeah, the royal blue is nice, just not the fish I thought I was getting. Seller had various fish & pics. I must have been confused, but I swear the 1st pic was labelled wild royal blue.
This is what I thought I was getting

This is what I got

At the moment I'm liking the Heckle better.
How are your attempts at breeding dwarf cichlids coming along?
Not so well. The recent pairs in the fish pic link are all in this tank. Being a community, none would survive there. The male cac is too young as yet. The macmasterii have been flirting (flashing & what not) but they have only just moved in & nothing yet.

No action in the other tank either

I do however, have fry in the african cichlid tank - but they are unlikely to make it.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2008 09:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Hi Robyn

All this fish talk, there is not much I can add, you know way way way more by now about Apistos than I do know almost nothing about Discus

Well, all looks somewhat nice to me, and that is all I can say

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2008 14:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Hi Robyn

All this fish talk, there is not much I can add, you know way way way more by now about Apistos than I do know almost nothing about Discus

Well, all looks somewhat nice to me, and that is all I can say

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2008 14:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TW
Hi Ingo,
All this fish talk, there is not much I can add
I'm sure you can add heaps when it comes time to plant the 6ft. Right now, I'm a bit of a fraud, here in the planted tank section. Tank still is planted, C02 pumps in - but tank is treated as a holding tank for plants & discus. Nothing is in any order & all is a mess, with some plants floating.

I hope that you might pop in with advice on planting, when the time is right.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2008 15:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
... when the time is right

Robyn,

You know that the time is right BEFORE you plant it, right? You are a pro, so this is almost a hypothetical question, LOL.

And don't forget the hardscape!

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2008 15:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Yay, Ingo is right, of course. I hope you will share your thoughts in the planning phase regrading hardware with us.Something that would come in handy for myself ...
Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2008 15:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 18-Feb-2008 15:47
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
I will do so, as soon as I get a little time up my sleeve. Thanks for your continued interest in my long delayed plans.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2008 15:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
you changed your avatar No fire ruby and penang eruption anymore ...

Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2008 15:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TW
you changed your avatar No fire ruby and penang eruption anymore
Seems I stuffed up. It's meant to be changed to Wild Royal Blue discus, instead I must have set it to this older avator, a previous PT.Nigerian Red male. I'll try again tonight.

Anyway, I've seen some plants on line, but the site gives absolutely no information about them (lighting requirements, maximum height, all those things that we need to know). The links are below. If anyone knows anything about these plants, I'd appreciate your advice.

http://www.livefish.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1806
http://www.livefish.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1918
http://www.livefish.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_81&products_id=1804
http://www.livefish.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1816

Also, I had thought that stricta & temple were the same plant, but this site lists both - so I'm thinking there must be a difference after all?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2008 23:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
In Order:

"Curly Ivy Bunch" - never heard of it, looks aquatic, but may not be

"Peacock Swords" - does not look aquatic at all

"Cardamine lyrata Bunch" - I actually have this one. It is basically a small form of the Pennywort, with leaves the size of a nickle (now, I guess you don't know how large that would be, LOL), maybe 1.5cm across. It is not a bunch though, it is many runners tangled up in that shot, with maybe some branching. Will do fine in medium to higher light.

"Pink Ivy Bunch" - I think I have seen this one before, named something with hedge in it and not truly aquatic. But I may be wrong.

Know little about stricta & temple, except that the latter comes in different colors and maybe that is why they call one stricta and the other temple. Just guessing though.

That's it,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 19-Feb-2008 01:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Robyn:

I absolutely agree with Ingo, the 'peacock sword' is not aquatic at all. Am right now on a business trip, otherwise I would have looked up the plant in my 'window sill plant dictionary'

Poor, poor you ... training for a marathon wish I had the time

The wild blue still looks nice to me but I understand your disappointment! I found that strains of discus can look very different depending on the source.
Post InfoPosted 19-Feb-2008 05:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jase101
-----
Big Fish
male australia
i have your 'peacock sword' growing in my garden right now - it's from the calathea family, and definitely not aquatic.
Post InfoPosted 19-Feb-2008 08:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TW
you changed your avatar No fire ruby and penang eruption anymore
Can't fix it. I've asked the moderators for help here http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/private.aspx?id=37017&page=1&0# Hopefully Wild Royal Blue Discus will appear as my avatar shortly.

Thanks Ingo, Claudia & Justin for comments regarding the plants. The link for the last plant wasn't working, but I've fixed it now, in case you have any comments on it.

Too bad about the sword, I thought it looked nice.

I've looked on tropica & plantgeek & couldn't find anything on either type of ivy.

Cardamine lyrata - so does it grow low then, or is it a stem plant?

The stricta & temple names are confusing. Both varieties on the site had versions that were green & others that are green with some red or mauve leaves. Remember Paulus Ingo, he once told me that stricta & temple are the same plant.

I've asked the site to confirm the plants are aquatic & to give me the scientific plant names - if they know them.
Poor, poor you ... training for a marathon wish I had the time
That's just it Claudia, I don't have the time - but I'm doing it anyway. I'm off for a 20km training run now.

That's it for now.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 19-Feb-2008 09:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Robyn ...Just a thought... have you tried this site . I've bought plants from them a few times and I've been very happy with the results .

http://www.aquaticdreams.com.au/home.asp

Garry
Post InfoPosted 20-Feb-2008 13:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TW
Thanks Garry, I'm always keen to have several on line resources. They have better plant choices than most LFS. I've saved the link with all my others. I mostly get my plants from here http://www.aquariumsuppliesaustralia.com.au/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=9. I've always been happy. I also buy a lot of my basic supplies from here too (not the dry ferts though). They have optional pick up & as I'm close to them, that's what I do. They do ship though, as you see through check-out.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 20-Feb-2008 15:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 23-Feb-2008 00:51
DeletedPosted 25-Feb-2008 05:40
DeletedPosted 25-Feb-2008 13:43
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TW
Garry, I ordered a "Minder Aquarium Monitoring Unit" from site you gave me http://www.aquaticdreams.com.au/home.asp Seen similar items elsewhere on line, for around 2X price here. Hope it helps prevent me killing another fish, by forgetting to turn the heater back on.

Here are some shots that include view of some plants. Not full shots mind you - focus is on the discus, as tank is in shut down mode. They do show some of the messy, disorganised planted tank though.

Few shots of Red Alencer - for no reason, other than pics of him never turn out. These are my poor examples of my best attempts

EDIT: Forgot to inclue this guy

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 25-Feb-2008 14:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
Kudos: 88
Votes: 73
male usa
Robyn...

Gotta love those discus.. Hard to keep but beautiful to view!!

Shane

Thanks for your input as always, Shane
http://thetanklog.blogspot.com/ - [ Thanks to ScottF ]
http://www.natureaquariumclubofutah.com/main.html
Post InfoPosted 27-Feb-2008 08:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TW
Hi Shane

I don't find discus that hard, other than routine regular deworming, my schedule hasn't changed at since I got them. Thanks for the nice comment.

I finally could no longer stand the mess that were the plants in this tank, so things have been tidied up. The key motivating factor was that the tank is a little overcrowded & the discus need both eating & swimming space, so all has been thinned, some plants disposed of, plus a couple of new plants purchases.

http://www.livefish.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1815 and http://www.livefish.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1817

Not a great deal of effort or thought put into the replanting, because anyone who has visited this log recently knows this tank is planned to shutdown, so it is really only a holding tank.

If Ingo were to pop in, I'm sure he'd say more plants are required but I find discus need an open space for feeding. Here's a full frontal shot

close up of the anubia group, complete with film canisters for apistos to hide in

Some of my cories hanging out under what was sold as pygmy chain sword.

this one was also sold as pygmy chain sword, but it's quite different (thinner / smaller). Being smaller, more likely to be the real deal I guess, but I don't really know.

Here's A.Macmasteri just hanging out

The last 2 of my Harley Rasboras

The willow fern up the back

One more full frontal shot

To finish up, here's my cardinal tetra group. 'Cause I'm worming the discus right now, I moved these guys out, as prazi can't be used with tetras. No, my discus aren't sick. Just that there are several fairly new discus in there, so it was time for a deworming process.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 06-Mar-2008 14:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 13-Mar-2008 18:27
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TW
The LFS who sold me my Wild Royal Blue discus took some pictures of it, in the store tank, a few days before I brought the fish home. I'm going to add those pictures to my fish pictures thread Discus Pictures A sneaky preview though is my new avitar.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2008 18:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cup_of_Lifenoodles
---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 1957
Votes: 30
male usa
Those are rasbora hengeli.

Nice tank.
Post InfoPosted 16-Mar-2008 01:49Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi COL, thanks for stopping by. I'm pretty sure this is what I have the raspbora espei, not hengeli. The hengeli is less red, although I agree my pic doesn't show their true colour - they look brownish, which is not accurate). In real life, they are a strong reddish colour. They also have the small black line behind the head (not visible in my pic) found in the espei & not in the hengeli. Either way, wouldn't bother me too much, as both types are very similar & quite pretty. I only have 2 survivors left & they were from my 1st batch of fish in the tank - so they're fairly old. http://www.bayfish.com.au/category26_1.htm
http://aquaworld.netfirms.com/Cyprinoidae/Rasbora/Rasbora_hengeli.htm

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 16-Mar-2008 23:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Planted tank owners in the US won't understand my excitement, but I've stumbled across a hobbyist selling off some of his Narrow Leaf Java Fern. Have no idea where he got it from, as it's not usually available in AUS (only the wide leaf version) & I have wanted it for a very long time. I paid dearly for it & it should be posted to me after the end of the easter long week end.

I'm very excited

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 21-Mar-2008 01:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
This tank is now sitting on one of those removalist type trolleys in the middle of the loungeroom. It's counting down it's final days. Won't be long before these guys move to their new home.

A few full tank shots.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 07-May-2008 15:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
male usa us-colorado
I gotta tell you Robyn, I love looking at your
photographs, your fish, and your tanks.
You do great work!

Frank

Post InfoPosted 07-May-2008 22:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
agreed! so what are you gonna do with the tank once the discus move out? looks like maybe another tank in the coming...???... can't wait to see the new tank with all your discus in it!!!

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 08-May-2008 03:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Robyn I agree with Frank ...love those big round fish ...bet they will love their new home .

Garry
Post InfoPosted 08-May-2008 13:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TW
I gotta tell you Robyn, I love looking at your photographs your fish, and your tanks. You do great work!
Thank you Frank, coming from someone with your experience, that's real nice of you to say so
so what are you gonna do with the tank once the discus move out? looks like maybe another tank in the coming...???...
Hi brandeeno, this tank is destined to be sold on ebay. Yes a new tank is planned. Not very much to see yet, but this is thread of the new tank's journey into being http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/threads/37492.1.htm?0.6397477#

Hi Garry, I hope my round fish will like it

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 08-May-2008 15:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Robyn:

Simply awesome! you are the person I feel the worst about for dissappearing, can't say that I am back, this will take a couple more weeks but wanted to pop in and congratulate you on your tanks!

Claudia
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2008 04:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
hey claudia, great to hear from you. I've missed having another "round fish" lover popping in. On that other forum, my wild royal blue discus is a finalist in a picture comp - yep even with my crappy camera. Top six are now being voted for by forum members. Unlikely to win, but pleased to be a finalist. Prize is a confirmed pair of discus.

If you pop in again in the near future, tell me, how do you find java fern in a discus tank? Tropica says it's fine up to 30 Celsius, but some Aussie discus hobbyists tell me it slowly dies off for them.

Hope after you are all settled, we will see you & your round fish in a thread here soon. Keep well.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2008 06:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Robyn!!
WHERE is the link to admire the pic of your fish?! I keep my fingers crossed for you in the contest! Is this the wild blue your initially so dissapointed about?

Regarding the java fern: I have to admit that I can not contribute my own experience - remember I admired your fern so much. Almost all plants grow well in my discus tank except java fern. I can not conclude that it is the temperature alone, the plant does not thrive in the lower temperature Apisto tank. The only one it does extremely well is the 10G with the dwarf puffers where it is kept with little light and lower temperature.

Discus loving members of my Chicago society claim that java fern does very well in their tanks. However, you have to keep in mind that none of these guys is really into planted tanks and many pf them end up with 'silk' plants. The rumored successful keeping I was told about might be nothing but slow death. On the other hand, there was always a vendor for aquatic plants at the meetings and these guys had the most awesome plants (limited selection but what they had was fantastic) and one special of theirs was the 'java fern hedge for the discus tank'. According to the owner, java fern does well at high temperatures...

Sorry for the rambling, bottom line is that I don't know but I will eagerly follow your thread to learn about your experience

Claudia
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2008 15:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Robyn,

I tried to support your wild blue on that other forum but there is something wrong with the poll - I simply can not vote!!! Seems to work for some as the number of votes has increased sinced I checked last but still not for me
Post InfoPosted 16-May-2008 04:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi Claudia, thanks heaps.

There was an error in the set up of the poll. They couldn't fix it in that thread. A new thread has been created. Here is the link. http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=131808#131808

My fish is Entry 2. If you want to vote for mine, just select entry 2.

Once again, thanks heaps.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 16-May-2008 04:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Done! Good luck
Post InfoPosted 16-May-2008 05:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
robyn,
i was looking arround on plantgeek.net and was looking at the non-aquatic species that re sold to hobbyist and LFS as follery and saw that plant with the purple undersides of the leaves... this plant is non aquatic and will supposedly foule your water after it begins to rot... i dont know if it is accurate, but it is just a heads up... beautiful tank cant wait to see the final product after the move!

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 18-May-2008 21:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Thanks for the plant tip brandeeno. I had already decided this plant wasn't going to make it into the discus tank. It did lose leaves quite quickly, plus the leaves are quite big & no longer will suit the look I'm after.

It's annoying when non aquatic plants are sold as aquatic

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 19-May-2008 13:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies