AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Planted Aquaria
  L# TW's 43.5G Log
   L# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeTW's 43.5G Log
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by TW
Hi Shane

I don't find discus that hard, other than routine regular deworming, my schedule hasn't changed at since I got them. Thanks for the nice comment.

I finally could no longer stand the mess that were the plants in this tank, so things have been tidied up. The key motivating factor was that the tank is a little overcrowded & the discus need both eating & swimming space, so all has been thinned, some plants disposed of, plus a couple of new plants purchases.

http://www.livefish.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1815 and http://www.livefish.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1817

Not a great deal of effort or thought put into the replanting, because anyone who has visited this log recently knows this tank is planned to shutdown, so it is really only a holding tank.

If Ingo were to pop in, I'm sure he'd say more plants are required but I find discus need an open space for feeding. Here's a full frontal shot

close up of the anubia group, complete with film canisters for apistos to hide in

Some of my cories hanging out under what was sold as pygmy chain sword.

this one was also sold as pygmy chain sword, but it's quite different (thinner / smaller). Being smaller, more likely to be the real deal I guess, but I don't really know.

Here's A.Macmasteri just hanging out

The last 2 of my Harley Rasboras

The willow fern up the back

One more full frontal shot

To finish up, here's my cardinal tetra group. 'Cause I'm worming the discus right now, I moved these guys out, as prazi can't be used with tetras. No, my discus aren't sick. Just that there are several fairly new discus in there, so it was time for a deworming process.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 06-Mar-2008 14:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 13-Mar-2008 18:27
This post has been deleted
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TW
The LFS who sold me my Wild Royal Blue discus took some pictures of it, in the store tank, a few days before I brought the fish home. I'm going to add those pictures to my fish pictures thread Discus Pictures A sneaky preview though is my new avitar.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2008 18:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cup_of_Lifenoodles
---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 1957
Votes: 30
male usa
Those are rasbora hengeli.

Nice tank.
Post InfoPosted 16-Mar-2008 01:49Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi COL, thanks for stopping by. I'm pretty sure this is what I have the raspbora espei, not hengeli. The hengeli is less red, although I agree my pic doesn't show their true colour - they look brownish, which is not accurate). In real life, they are a strong reddish colour. They also have the small black line behind the head (not visible in my pic) found in the espei & not in the hengeli. Either way, wouldn't bother me too much, as both types are very similar & quite pretty. I only have 2 survivors left & they were from my 1st batch of fish in the tank - so they're fairly old. http://www.bayfish.com.au/category26_1.htm
http://aquaworld.netfirms.com/Cyprinoidae/Rasbora/Rasbora_hengeli.htm

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 16-Mar-2008 23:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Planted tank owners in the US won't understand my excitement, but I've stumbled across a hobbyist selling off some of his Narrow Leaf Java Fern. Have no idea where he got it from, as it's not usually available in AUS (only the wide leaf version) & I have wanted it for a very long time. I paid dearly for it & it should be posted to me after the end of the easter long week end.

I'm very excited

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 21-Mar-2008 01:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
This tank is now sitting on one of those removalist type trolleys in the middle of the loungeroom. It's counting down it's final days. Won't be long before these guys move to their new home.

A few full tank shots.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 07-May-2008 15:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
I gotta tell you Robyn, I love looking at your
photographs, your fish, and your tanks.
You do great work!

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 07-May-2008 22:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
agreed! so what are you gonna do with the tank once the discus move out? looks like maybe another tank in the coming...???... can't wait to see the new tank with all your discus in it!!!

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 08-May-2008 03:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
Kudos: 83
Votes: 242
male australia
Robyn I agree with Frank ...love those big round fish ...bet they will love their new home .

Garry
Post InfoPosted 08-May-2008 13:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TW
I gotta tell you Robyn, I love looking at your photographs your fish, and your tanks. You do great work!
Thank you Frank, coming from someone with your experience, that's real nice of you to say so
so what are you gonna do with the tank once the discus move out? looks like maybe another tank in the coming...???...
Hi brandeeno, this tank is destined to be sold on ebay. Yes a new tank is planned. Not very much to see yet, but this is thread of the new tank's journey into being http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/threads/37492.1.htm?0.6397477#

Hi Garry, I hope my round fish will like it

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 08-May-2008 15:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Kudos: 138
Votes: 13
female usa us-massachusetts
Robyn:

Simply awesome! you are the person I feel the worst about for dissappearing, can't say that I am back, this will take a couple more weeks but wanted to pop in and congratulate you on your tanks!

Claudia
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2008 04:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
hey claudia, great to hear from you. I've missed having another "round fish" lover popping in. On that other forum, my wild royal blue discus is a finalist in a picture comp - yep even with my crappy camera. Top six are now being voted for by forum members. Unlikely to win, but pleased to be a finalist. Prize is a confirmed pair of discus.

If you pop in again in the near future, tell me, how do you find java fern in a discus tank? Tropica says it's fine up to 30 Celsius, but some Aussie discus hobbyists tell me it slowly dies off for them.

Hope after you are all settled, we will see you & your round fish in a thread here soon. Keep well.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2008 06:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
EditedEdited by catdancer
Robyn!!
WHERE is the link to admire the pic of your fish?! I keep my fingers crossed for you in the contest! Is this the wild blue your initially so dissapointed about?

Regarding the java fern: I have to admit that I can not contribute my own experience - remember I admired your fern so much. Almost all plants grow well in my discus tank except java fern. I can not conclude that it is the temperature alone, the plant does not thrive in the lower temperature Apisto tank. The only one it does extremely well is the 10G with the dwarf puffers where it is kept with little light and lower temperature.

Discus loving members of my Chicago society claim that java fern does very well in their tanks. However, you have to keep in mind that none of these guys is really into planted tanks and many pf them end up with 'silk' plants. The rumored successful keeping I was told about might be nothing but slow death. On the other hand, there was always a vendor for aquatic plants at the meetings and these guys had the most awesome plants (limited selection but what they had was fantastic) and one special of theirs was the 'java fern hedge for the discus tank'. According to the owner, java fern does well at high temperatures...

Sorry for the rambling, bottom line is that I don't know but I will eagerly follow your thread to learn about your experience

Claudia
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2008 15:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
EditedEdited by catdancer
Robyn,

I tried to support your wild blue on that other forum but there is something wrong with the poll - I simply can not vote!!! Seems to work for some as the number of votes has increased sinced I checked last but still not for me
Post InfoPosted 16-May-2008 04:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi Claudia, thanks heaps.

There was an error in the set up of the poll. They couldn't fix it in that thread. A new thread has been created. Here is the link. http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=131808#131808

My fish is Entry 2. If you want to vote for mine, just select entry 2.

Once again, thanks heaps.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 16-May-2008 04:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Done! Good luck
Post InfoPosted 16-May-2008 05:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
robyn,
i was looking arround on plantgeek.net and was looking at the non-aquatic species that re sold to hobbyist and LFS as follery and saw that plant with the purple undersides of the leaves... this plant is non aquatic and will supposedly foule your water after it begins to rot... i dont know if it is accurate, but it is just a heads up... beautiful tank cant wait to see the final product after the move!

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 18-May-2008 21:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Thanks for the plant tip brandeeno. I had already decided this plant wasn't going to make it into the discus tank. It did lose leaves quite quickly, plus the leaves are quite big & no longer will suit the look I'm after.

It's annoying when non aquatic plants are sold as aquatic

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 19-May-2008 13:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies