reeftopia.com

marinedepotlive.com

floridapets.com

liveaquaria.com

fishybusiness.com

ehhh there's more but i'm brain dead

*calls Nate*

got some more links ?

(oh, and always keep in mind, when buying corals from online dealers, that they'll use 20K bulbs, and show REALLY nice color, so expect many times, to be dissapointed)

-Ferret [img src='/images/forums/halo.gif' border=0]

-Formerly known as the Ferretfish
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 143
Votes: 61
male usa
Alright, i tested the water again

Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate is a little high around 16-17 ppm, so i think im going to do a water change tomorrow.

Tomorrow im going to pick up about 210 pounds of reef sand, which will go in tomorrow.

im hoping that a deep sandbed will help bring down the nitrate

nick

Last edited by swiftshark88 at 21-Dec-2005 23:03

Nick
"Impossumable- unable to play dead"
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Alright, 160 pounds of sand are in, water checked, good. just waiting for the water to clear up a little. I took some pictures but they're a little cloudy so not very much detail, I plan to take more once the water gets clear.

So the amount of sand worked out great, I now have a DSB.
In the corners of the tank theres about 6 inches of sand, in which i hope to put jawfish (not sure) or maybe some gobies.

sand looks great and there's plenty of it, i was worried that i might not have enought, but i have PLENTY.

Im also starting to get some brown algae build up on the rocks, you can see it in the pictures.

give me a few minutes and ill edit with a link to the pictures.

nick

http://community.webshots.com/album/527751608pOXNjN

comments?

Last edited by swiftshark88 at 24-Dec-2005 00:19

Nick
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
Kudos: 2166
male usa us-colorado
*cough* Its www.Phishybusiness.com

www.reefermadness.us
atlantisaquarium.net

those are currently the only 3 that I order from, but I have ordered from

www.cquarium.com before also
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Alright, as first fish, how do a pair of Jawfish sound?

I cant decide what to put in first, But i think the maroon clown's are going in last, just because they are territorial.

any ideas?

Nick
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Did a water check today

Nitrate looks a little high though. I need to wait and see if the sandbed helps to lower the nitrate at all. If not i can do a water change. Other than that the water looks good,

the SG is hovering between 1.025-1.026.
The PH is about 8.2 and has been staying that way.
Ammonia and Nitrite are both 0.

Since ive updated by pictures, ive had alot of brown hair algae grow. It about doubled from yesterday morning to last night when i turned the lights off. Im debating bringing in some crabs and snails to mow it down, but i really need the Nitrate to drop before i can add anything.

Liana or nate, do you know if the DSB will help all that much, and how long it will take to lower the nitrate, or am i going to have to do a water change. Im going to wait about a week or two, see if theres any difference.

nick

P.S. Merry christmas everyone!

Nick
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
I was reading one of John H. Tullock's books, and he said that Tridacna clams actually thrive in systems with Nitrate.

Good idea or bad idea, in my situation?

My family actually wants to put in Tridacna crocea or maxima, is it a good idea to put it in now because of the higher levels of Nitrate? just a thought.

Nick

Nick
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
BAHHH!, ive got a hair algae problem, i ordered some crabs that should come in on thursday to help it. I'm still thinking of adding jawfish first, but im tempted to add tangs to knock out this algae.

Ill try and take some pictures, theres definatly one strand thats growing at about 2 inches a day, its already about a foot and a half long. Most of the rocks under direct light have started to get a brown coat on them, and the algae is "pearling" (lots of little bubbles coming off).

so the next question is, jawfish or tangs?

nick

Nick
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
Kudos: 1889
Votes: 229
female usa
Oops, I'll try to catch up here.

DSB's will naturally reduce nitrate, but probably not to the point where you wont have to do water changes. Plus, you gotta give 'em a couple weeks/months to get active and live to see effectiveness.

Clams are filter feeders but will benefit from occasional target feedings. I wouldn't put one in with HIGH nitrAte, that's no good for any animal really. If it's at a safe level somewhat near undetectable, then you should have no problem adding 'em, as long as you have enough light. (I cant remember the wattage over this tank...)

Jawfish are cool, but have special requirements. They seem to be quite the fad fish lately. Everyones talking about 'em. Unfortunately, they need a DSB with multiple sized grains to burrow and hide the way they like to. You need to make sure that they wont be caved in on.

So, I say tangs. The thing with tangs though, is lets say you want a yellow, a hippo, and a naso, just for example. You'd prolly have to add them all at the same time to avoid aggression between the three. That way one isn't dominant over the other or anything.

At least, I think that's how it goes.

HTH

-Ferret [img src='/images/forums/halo.gif' border=0]

-Formerly known as the Ferretfish
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Well, time for an update, the nitrates are down to a safe level, so i added some livestock.

Two Tridacna Maxima clams! One is a nice blue purple and the other is green and black striped. I drip acclimated them with an iv kit (had one in the basement cause my dads a doctor(works perfectly)). Everything went perfect! They're alittle on the small side, but i like them, they're about 1-3/4" to 2".

The tangs i know that i was going to have to add them at the same time because of agression. I was only planning on hippo, but only on the fact that ive heard many people say that yellow's should be kept alone, just because they tend to be more territorial. Another reason id go with the tang's is because the algae is getting out of control.

Speaking of algae, the glass started to get covered with it, but it seems to have stopped. It was all brown algae and hair, but it seems to have slowed to a halt and some green is coming in now.

I'll post some pictures of the clams and the algae tomorrow

Now on to the jawfish,

1. I have the DSB, and plenty of it.
2. There are various sized grains of sand all the way up to small pebble sized and broken shells.

the only thing that concers me is the special requirements part, Are they going to get picked on, even though i plan on adding generally peaceful fish? If they're going to be the only bottom dwelling fish, and they have plenty of nooks, crannies and caves. I think i have all of their special needs covered, but i just want to make sure.

Nick

Nick
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Got some pictures of the corals. Liana, do you think you can give me an id on my sps frag?

My torch is doing wonderful and is in the ideal place in the tank, getting intermittent flow. Its larger than it was even in the store.

The hammer on the other hand doesn't seem open all the way. It was open larger in the store, and last night, but today its maybe 3/4 of the way, i don't know if i should move it to an area of higher flow, Right now, its just below one of the outputs, so it doesn't have direct flow on it, it has it going directly over it. Any suggestions?

Nick

The first link is one to the macro gallery, the second is just normal shots. (i actually got some great macro's of the sps!)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/540597851gloBba

http://community.webshots.com/photo/540580454kHrEoe

Last edited by swiftshark88 at 09-Jan-2006 20:23

Nick
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Picture update in a few days,

EDIT: the pictures i took i wasn't happy with, then i kind of lost interest got bored and stopped trying, so ill try to get some up before i go back to school.

Last edited by swiftshark88 at 02-Jan-2006 00:38

Nick
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
my sps frag

Nick
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Well the torch is doing fine, but the two smallest branches on the hammer have died, completely shrunken away.

The sps isnt having any problems at all and has gotten darker.
Im still waiting on an ID from someone *cough*Liana*cough*

Nick

Nick
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
That happens as a part of the stress of shipping sometimes. At least I notice that some specimens come into the store, look terrible for a couple days, one or more heads die off, the rest survives, and I'm pretty sure the dead stalks never grow anything back.

Last edited by mattyboombatty at 15-Jan-2006 20:11

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Good news, torch is opened back up again, so has the hammer, but that one branch on the hammer is still gone.

Nick

Nick
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
bad news, the torch has shrunken dramatically,the full size of the torch was about the size of a softball, now each of its arms is about 1/2 inch long, theres definatly something wrong. and one of the six heads on the hammer has compeletly dissapeared. Im very concered, all of the parameters are fine and nothing has changed in the tank.

I topped off the water level, the water was treated, salt added to the right sg, and the temp was fine.

Im feeding phytoplankton regularly and replenishing trace elements.

They were fine earlier today when i got home, but at about 6 o'clock they started to shrink.

The SPS is doing fine.

What do you think is wrong?

Edit: the temperature was about 2 degrees higher than normal, at about 80.

Last edited by swiftshark88 at 12-Jan-2006 21:10

Nick
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Well, update time, my dad offered to buy me some coral, and my tank parameters have stayed stable, so we went to a LFS.

They had some awesome LPS there, so i ended up getting a large hammer and a torch, and an SPS frag.

Ill take some pcitures once they get into the tank and open up.

Nick

Nick
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Alright, well ive noticed some things appering in the tank. Theres about three tiny things that have popped up and i just have no idea where they came from or what they are. I can try to get some pictures of them, but its kinda hard, they're just so darn small and the glass is so thick it will be hard to get a shot.

The first is a small green patch, very vividly colored, it looks almost like a very small LPS polyp, but that doesnt make any sense. Another is much like the first, but purple in color, and it's not coralline.

Ill try to take a picture of them, but i dont know how they will turn out.

Also, i plan on adding either some fish, or possibly and anemone for a clownfish to host in within the next week. I went to a LFS last week and they had some wonderful LPS and SPS frags, pretty big for very cheap! I was excited but i didnt have any money on me , and i know its bad to impulse buy.

Nick

Nick
nano reefer
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 570
Votes: 3
male uk
i knw tht just looks as if the glass is bowing
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
I wanted to get electric blue from marshall islands, but i couldent find them anywhere, So i ended up getting orange legged. They look almost identical to the elctric blue, but they're orange, with blue eyes.

What do you mean the tank look like it has a bow? its a gerular 180, not a bowfront.

Nick
nano reefer
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 570
Votes: 3
male uk
tank looks as if its got a bow in the front pain of plans
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
What kind of hermits did you get? I'm partial to the zebras myself, though I guess just about everyone else is too.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Well, four hermit crabs i ordered are in today, im acclimating them as we speak, ill take pictures once they get settled in.

well that was easy! they've only been in five minutes and they're already eating algae!

Nick

Last edited by swiftshark88 at 05-Jan-2006 15:42

Nick
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Ok, it won't let me edit it add the link (thats about the third time its done that?)

http://community.webshots.com/album/534724496WSJJpi

Nick

Nick
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
I did some tank work today, cleaned the glass, got rid of some algae.

All my parameters look good and the nitrate is lowering even more.
My SG is stable at about 1.025-1.026.

I tried to take some Macro shots of the Clams, but with the glass being so thick, it was hard to focus the lense.

Im uploading pictures now, ill edit with a link to them in a few minutes.

Nick

Nick
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
EditedEdited by swiftshark88
well uhh, i kinda lost some posts on my tank....
ill try and repost them...

and the date and time are goofy

nick

Nick
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 22:55Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 1381
Votes: 416
male usa us-ohio
I would guess that as an acropora, and more likely a stag horn of some kind.

There is always a bigger fish...
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 23:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Well, i guess that the update of the site lost some posts, its still alittle quirky i guess.

Last time i posted i told everyone about the new fish i got.

I basically love tangs, so thats what i got first, but also because they eat algae and theres plenty of it.

So, i know that it seems like alot, but i did get four. One yellow and three blue hepatus. The thing is the blue heptus, are about ehh an inch long? so, they've got plenty of room. before they were lost and the night i put them in they all seemed as though they werent going to make it, but now they're all swimming around, but they're still staying at the top of the tank, generally in the same area. Once the lights finally start to turn of they get alittle more active, and once they're all the way out, the completly dissapear, and where to i dont know.

The yellow tang on the other hand has been doing fine since the first few hours it went in. Cruzing around the whole tank, eating, exploring. The yellow is a little large, I'd say about 2-2.5 inches.

I'll take some pictures eventally.

Today not much is new, except one of the crabs may or maynot have killed someone. that someone being another crab. There was a dead body, an empty shell about 2 feet away from it up on some rocks, and the largest crab (who has been picking on the others lately) standing over the body. so. not a big loss, but a mess, and some confusion.

Meanwhile all the tangs are out, the small blues are still in the corner, and the yellow is a little less active. It's tending to stay more on the left and side of the tank, i dont know why, maybe because there's more algae over there? Oh well.

Anybody have any ideas as to why the blues are still hanging around up top? Is it beacause they're so small and they're having trouble swimming? The yellow has not been territorial or bossy at all, they just seem to want to stay at the top corner by the overflow. all three of them?

thats all for now, ill try to get some pictures in soon.

Nick

Nick
Post InfoPosted 27-Jan-2006 00:22Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
male usa us-ohio
I would watch putting any firefish in with the larger fish, as you may not see much of them. They will likely dive into the sand, and may even not come out to eat if you have large fish, and especially aggressive fish.

I would also suggest you watch your parameters closely, as it seems to me to be a lot of additions so quickly. Your tank has not been up very long (not sure of the exact date you started as the new site reset every post to Jan4), and thus you should be adding fish and other livestock very slowly so that the biological filter can catch up with the increased bioload. Even in a 180, it can spike quickly.
I tested my water for the first time today things look fairly good. Ph is 8.2, Ammonia is .25 ppm, Nitrite is .25 ppm and Nitrate is about 5-10 ppm. It needs some more time, but i think its coming along pretty good.

What are your parameters now? Again, not sure of the date of each post, as the Jan 4 thing, but the parameters above still show a cycle in the making, and not completed yet.

As for the crabs, well they do grow, and when they do, they require larger shells. My suggestion is to get some empty shells of all different sizes and put them in the tank so the hermies can have a selection of new homes to choose from. As they will also attack some snails in search of a new home as well.

Also, be very cautious with what you put near the hammer, torch, and/or frogspawn. As they guys are very dangerous to other corals. They can and will sting corals to death in a matter of seconds to minutes. Especially the SPS. The big worry is the sweeper tenticles as Liana has stated. They can extend these up to 8 times the length of the normal tenticles. Be sure that if you mount these guys above any other corals, that they are anchored very well, with no chance of tumbling over. So well in fact that even a snail cannot come along and push it over, which you will find happening in your new tank. Because if they fall on another coral, there is a good chance the other coral may not survive. The same goes for anemones if you get one for the clowns. The danger of the anemone is that they can move across your entire tank in one night if they take the notion to do so. All anemones posses different levels of poisons in their tenticles. So that is also a concern if you are looking for one of these.

Where in Cincy are you, as there are several nice places to find great corals. Also, Serdar is a great person, Phishybuisness. It's also a shame you were not set up a few months ago for the local frag swap. All the onliners in Ohio where there. As well as many others. There was a really nice selection to choose from. Several of the stores and such made big orders to bring in just for the occassion. Between Cincy and Columbus there are hundreds of reef keepers. So much so, that there is a small reef club in Cincy, and a big one in Columbus known as CORA. In Cincy there is a local aquarium club the GCAS, which has speakers come in, and Feb 19 Steven Pro will be here. Our club is all types of fish and aquatic things and plants. We also have an awards program from coral propagation. Thus preventing the corals from being taken from the oceans. I know of one person bringing in some candy cane corals frags and a frog spawn frag. And many stores that have great selections of corals and such. Aquarium Adventures off 71, has some, though usually high priced and not a huge selection. Aquatics & Exotics in Mt Healthy has a large selection of all kinds of corals, and some nice pieces of LR. As well as their 2200 gal FOWLR tank, and the 10,000 gal black tip shark tank. Monfort on Colrein Ave just down from Northgate Mall, has like 6 180gal tanks full of all kinds of corals to pick from. And you can see his really nice elegance coral that is over 20 inches in diameter. And his breeding O clowns that live in it, as well as the babies they sell from them. Then there is All About Pets on rt 42 just north of 275. Dave has a few corals and usually a nice selection of fish.

Post InfoPosted 27-Jan-2006 01:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Im actaully in anderson, on salem, dont know if you know where that is. I'd be really excited if i could go to the next meeting, maybe meet you. that would be awesome, because as of now, i dont really have any local mentors in the means of aquarium hobby to look up to at the moment.

Yes, i got the SPS hammer and torch from aquatics and exotics, the torch and sps are doing wonderful, but the hammer im afraid to say has completly deminished.

No wirries on the situyation with time, the tank was started september/november. there was plenty of time and all the inhabitants are doing great minus the hammer.

And i made a huge discovery!, the other day i was looking really closesly at the sand, and i noticed...there were things moving in it, and once i saw one, i saw them everywhere! invasion!

There are copepods all over the place, and they're super small too. im yet to find any worms or anything in the sandbed, it is 6-7 inches deep in some places, so there very may well be something hiding that i havent seem yet.

everythings doing well right now, with the exception of the excess algae with i hope will start to diminish with the arrival of the tangs.

Nick

Nick
Post InfoPosted 27-Jan-2006 05:01Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
I dont know how I missed this.....but the sps is a browned out Birdsnest...Seriatopora
Post InfoPosted 28-Jan-2006 03:07Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
male usa us-ohio
EditedEdited by acidrain
I thought about a birds nest as well, but it did not appear to be growing very much like one really, at least not to me. And, he is looking for a birdsnest, so I figured he already knew what one would look like, and as such would not ask for an ID on this coral.

As for the club meeting, the next one is this Sunday. The club's web addy is http://www.gcas.org/ from there you can find the map and directions to the meeting place. It is only a few miles south of CincyMills Mall, or what used to be Forest Fair Mall. I will definitely be there, have never missed a meeting in almost 7 years now. Hope to see you there.

Post InfoPosted 28-Jan-2006 04:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
now i feel kinda stupid, i thought it was a birdsnest, but it didnt really look like it.... and i didn't want to mis-id it and then have one of you correct me.

Oh well, either way.

Acid i will try to make it, its at 7:30, i have a hockey game on sunday, so i dont know if i can make it this sunday.

Nick

Nick
Post InfoPosted 28-Jan-2006 06:55Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
male usa us-ohio
No worries, if you miss this one, Feb 19 is when Steven Pro will be here for a SW talk.

Post InfoPosted 28-Jan-2006 20:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Time for an update.

Everything is going well in the tank, with the exception of the death of a clam about a week and a half ago. The other is doing just fine.

All three tangs have done nothing but eat and swim constantly since they were put into the the tank, and now all the algae that was in the tank, is now completely gone, so its time to start supplimenting their diet w/ seaweed sheets.

Finally the new editions:

A quite large Heteractis crispa or Sebae Anemone, cream in color, about 7" at the base and a little larger than 1' when compeltely open. It was drip acclimated earlier today and has already opened up, but has moeved about 4-5 inches from where it was originally placed. I belive that the staple diet for it will be whole shrimp and some other meats (squid?), as for how often I have not decided, I will probably start with once a week, and vary from there.
For those of you who know what my tank looks like and how it is set up, the anemone was placed on the far right near the overflow on the large flat rock.

The other addition is a goldstripe maroon clown. When the lights were dimmed it was out above the rocks, but has retreated to the caves for the meantime. I was planning on purchasing a small specimine (1"-2", which i thought was a good size, and they sent me an even large one which is about 3 1/2". Hopefully when it becomes comfortable in the tank, it will explore and possibly host with the anemone ( i can only hope), and yes i do understand that it may very well not.

thats about it.

Well the only other thing/ problem ive been having is that i seem to be tripping the circut in the room that the tank is in. Im running all three lights, one of the two pumps (which provides plenty of flow) and my protein skimmer. I dont know why it happens, but it happened twice tonight very randomly.

I promised pictures last time i added fish and i never took them, and now i have plenty, so i guarentee by saturday night there will be some up. Its a busy week this week, and last night i got to bed at 5am and woke up at 7am, so even if i did take pictures, you wouldn't be able to tell what they were of.

Nick
Post InfoPosted 09-Feb-2006 04:22Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
wow, i havent posted in a long time, not much has changed, except for the fact the the tank is almost always spotless.

Lately, these small white things have been appearing on the glass, and i dont know what they are. They dont seem to have any effect. anyone know what they are?

Ill post some pictures, i havent had time with all my schoolwork lately.

Nick

Nick
Post InfoPosted 23-Feb-2006 22:57Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I'd have to see a picture, but I get white things on the glass where I don't clean. I think they are small sponges. Without a picture it could be anything.

Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2006 16:21Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
Im betting that the small white things on the glass are tiny feather dusters
Post InfoPosted 25-Feb-2006 21:25Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Actually you are right DRO, I never noticed. I took a closer look at the white things, and while some are sponges(especially in the fuge), some of them are actually little feather dusters. Cool.

Post InfoPosted 26-Feb-2006 04:12Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Sorry i haven't been posting lately, lots of schoolwork and ive been kinda sick lately, so im a bit under the weather.

Good news, about three days after the clown was intoduced he began hosting, so i have a hosting clown, bad news is he was sick for the first few days, but everything has been ship shape since then, everyone's happy.

unfortunatly, just before the clown was added, the smallest blue tang got very stressed and hid for about four days and wouldn't eat , and eventually died.

The only other problem with livestock that ive had, is my crabs have suddenely gone nuts, and started attacking eachother. They have extra shells in case they grow out, but im not sure why they keep going after eachother.

The rest of the livestock is doing fine, the birdnest is growing and the torch had to be moved due to lighting, which brings me to my next problem.

We came home one evening to find the room that the tank was in filled with this strange smell, like that of plastic melting or burning, and my middle MH was out. I took a peak inside the ballast, and somthing is definatly fried, im not sure which part it is, but the other lights work on the middle lamp (those of you who read way at the beggining know that i have three seperate fixtures.) ALl of the other compnents work, except for the MH. So the middle light is down and my torch had to be moved to the far lef to the tank, where its not getting as much flow. As soon as the light gets fixed its going to be moved back.

Last of all, im thinking of what to add next. Im looking for somthing thats quite active, lately my tang's have been people shy, straying to the back of the tank and hiding when there is any movement in the room, in general, they tend to stay partially hidden.

Any suggestions?

Last of all, ill post some pictures of new growth's in my tank. As i mentioned earlier, the small white dots are appearing on the glass, ill get some pictures of those.

The other thing i noticed while i was doing some tank mantinence, is that the rock which the birdsnest is on, has started to change color. I took a closer look and there is somthing growing, ill get a picture, but it almost looks like there are hundreds small of mushroom polyps growing on the rock? they're awfully hard to get a good look at because of the tank depth and the width of the glass.

ill post some pictures in a day or two, and any suggestions for livestock would be greatly appreciated.

Nick
Post InfoPosted 06-Mar-2006 23:37Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Well, my lfs is fixing the ballast for free. Turns out it was a faulty capacitor, which will be switched out in the next day or so, so it should not be a long wait .

Nick
Post InfoPosted 08-Mar-2006 02:14Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Wow, i havent posted in a really long time. We'll not much has happened lately. I have some strange growths, which is expected, and im going to be posting some pictures of them.

New creatures are popping up everywhere, theres a nudibranch that just appeared one night and has been around every now and then for about the past five weeks.

I've bought some new coral, a nice sized brain and some zoo's.

Earlier i bought two filamented flasher wrasse's, but they died because a blizzard hit cincinnati on their delivery day and the seller did not pack them with enoguh heat packs.

I nearly coaxed life back into them about five hours of quarentining and acclimation, but one hid and the other swam directly into the mouth of the anemone. Needless to say, they anemone did not mind, and promptly ate a $35 lunch. I am yet to find the remains of the other, but i have reason to belive that the hermits devoured the body.

Suprisingly, there were no changes in the water quality, just lots of dissapointment.

My ballast was replaced for free by my LFS, it had a faulty capaciter. But unfortunatly, another one crapped out, so i took that to get fixed today.

I also bought two new fish, both gobies.

The first, a diamond goby, has been activly building a burrow since he went in about two hours ago. Hes quite amusing to watch.

The other is a Valencienna strigata, but he is compeltly pearly white, with a yellow head and a blue line on the side, no dark fins. When put into the tank he immediatly hid and i have seen nothing of him since.

i just took about 90 macro shots, ill see how they came out, its very difficult to get the picture perfect detail shot as you all know.

Nick

Nick
Post InfoPosted 15-Apr-2006 00:43Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Earlier i bought two filamented flasher wrasse's, but they died because a blizzard hit cincinnati on their delivery day and the seller did not pack them with enoguh heat packs.

Ugh...times are rough for you it sounds. Sorry about the losses, I keep realizing how lucky I've been on occasions, but always buying livestock that I can watch for a week or two helps a lot.

Is the LFS going to replace this ballast too? Sounds a bit sheisty to me. I might ask them to try and get a different brand or something.

Post InfoPosted 17-Apr-2006 06:33Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Yeah they're replacing it for free. The first one had a fualty capaciter on it and competly fried, as in smoking reef tank. They replaced it free of charge.

I dropped the second one off on thursday, they said they would let me know when it was redy. This one didnt have the smoking problem, so it might be somthing a little less buggy. If so, they're doing it for free.

this seems like such a pain in the butt, but having three lights and ballasts was alot cheaper lighting for a 180 then the full length strip. I got these lights for around 700 i think. at the time, the full length fixture with 3 MH and ace. and moonlights was 1,200 or more.

Nick
Post InfoPosted 17-Apr-2006 06:49Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Alright, just got back from the LFS, and i saw a coral that i just fell in love with.

It's a large elegance coral, orange with green.

Im acclimating it as we speak, so it needs some time to open up, then ill attempt to take some pictures of it. It was about 10" across when it was open in the store tank.

Nick
Post InfoPosted 22-Apr-2006 22:53Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
A lot of people have trouble with those corals just up and dying. I think they start with white around the diameter and continue inward. Keep an eye on it and treat it well with spot feedings at least once a week.

Post InfoPosted 23-Apr-2006 02:42Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Will do, thanks for the heads up

the guy at the LFS said that he has been spot feeding it with phytoplankton and its been doing very well.

Nick
Post InfoPosted 23-Apr-2006 03:25Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Elegance corals wouldn't use phyto very much. I'd feed something meatier. Say cyclopeeze and mysis, or even chunks of krill.

Post InfoPosted 23-Apr-2006 04:44Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
two years since i have been logged in. thats a long time.

after being away from the tank at school for a year i decided to make some changes upon my return.

i've sold some coral, added more rock, changed my filtration (slowly).

i can post some pictures later on this week of how its looking after 2 years of growth.

Nick
Post InfoPosted 06-Sep-2008 23:42Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I'd like to see the changes, please do put up some pics, or links at least.

Post InfoPosted 07-Sep-2008 00:42Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies