FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Marine Aquaria
 L# Reef Keeping
  L# New tank in process of being built!
   L# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNew tank in process of being built!
dthurs
---------------
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4170
Votes: 529
male usa
Man, you just can't do anything small can you? :88)

Dan

Dan
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
Kudos: 2166
male usa us-colorado
Who could argue with that plan?

I cant argue with it. Im trying to decide if I want to set up the 180 in the bedroom....seems kinda strange that the bedroom would have 3 closets and one of them is the perfect size to recess the 180 into

You better sell them! I've only got Calcium, I have a feeling once the corals come that I'm going to want some others...including more accurate basics.

Im meeting Kip today so Ill talk to him about it

Easy for you to say! I'm trying not to worry but when you have so much money invested in one thing, that's really special, it's kind of hard not to. Ya know?

Yup, I know! Its not just the money, but the time and energy spent getting it up and running and researching. Its a good setup though and I dont think you need to worry

Got me there...okay, I do have a tank, but c'mon, you've got plans for your dream set up. I guess that makes us even. Not to mention you already HAVE a tank!

True, but the cube is only part of the dream.....

Yes, I do already have a tank.....but it doesnt do me much good when its sitting in the garage all stinky and empty

Haha, that'll be good for you! You can get some exercise running up and down all those stairs. And yup, lots of ideas I'm sure.

Are you saying im fat and lazy? Yeah, lots of ideas that I wont be able to use on the new tank because it will already be set up

Then how on earth does he have so many if he's only got a 4 way?! Does he use ball valves instead of PVC or something?! This boggles my mind. Well...hmprh. I still get to be Princess BV so I guess that's all that matters.

Del is running everything off of two Sequence pumps....chiller, kalkwasser reactor, calcium reactor, skimmers, OM 4-way, etc.....plus he added some ball valves in case he wants to expand/add equipment.

Smart smart...that is, if everyone else will put up with your song selection. Now, how come you couldn't burn it a couple of months ago?

Everyone seemed to like the playlist actually.....It was good music to listen too and fit the situation to help keep us going.....plus it was filled with great memories.

Oh, and I did burn them a couple months ago

Ugg...figures. Hopefully they will settle into the new tank quite nicely and then you can get some pics up. I'm sure they'll come around again.

I put it right on top so I can get a good picture of it in a week or so.

That's kinda what I figured because they're the most common types. Calfo's book is giving me ideas...you might be living on the streets by the time I finish writing a coral list.

I doubt it.....Ill just be working more hours

Very true. SPS are so diverse it's amazing. I think that's part of what made the baby blue coral so special.

I agree completly....the baby blue coral is def. one of a kind. I havent seen one like it since I got mine. It will make it though, im confident.

And quit BRAGGING!

Meanie.

Im not bragging......and Im not a meanie. I cant be a meanie if Im planning on Princess anthias as the main fish in the new tank

Finished up the tank move tonight....It only took 8 hours with 3 of us doing it. Not too bad considering the amount of corals that I have. I can tell you one thing though.....I was tired of bagging corals by the time it was all said and done.

So far everything looks like it is going to do ok. Most of the SPS were slimed up really good, but that is pretty normal for them after being stressed. I ended up going back to the house and adding a couple powerheads to the holding tanks...its amazing what you can secure with 20 zip ties! The flow is better now, but Im still not happy with it, BUT at 10:30 at night there isnt a lot I can do about it. Im gonna borrow some more powerheads tomorrow and see if I can increase the flow a bit.

The next couple days will be the most stressful (for me, not the corals). Its pretty much just a waiting game to see if anything got stressed out enough to start to RTN...I hope that doesnt happen, but I know that is a possibility.

Good news is that the baby blue coral is looking good....it didnt even slime up I think its going to do just fine.....unless it decides to give up on me and starts to RTN.

Thats about it for now...Ill update tomorrow when I go over to top off the evap and hang the halides over the stock tanks.

*sidenote.....the old house is strange now....no glow coming from the house/filling the house...no water noises....its too quiet here now and its driving me crazy!

[hr width='40%']
I lay here in my bed and dream of you
Hoping you are dreaming of me too...
Someday the miles will be less and we will dream together
Your heart and mine Always and Forever...

Last edited by DarkRealm Overlord at 01-May-2005 01:27
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
Kudos: 1889
Votes: 229
female usa
Me too, I just need to keep plugging along and hope I get to use some of the plans. Im sure I will since the plan is to have tanks all over the house

Who could argue with that plan?

We are going to have a meeting on stocking Salifert test kits.....we still havent decided for sure. If not, I know I can beat MD's price on them anyway..I know a guy that sells them to me at cost

You better sell them! I've only got Calcium, I have a feeling once the corals come that I'm going to want some others...including more accurate basics.

It will work.....and it will work better than the original plan. I wouldnt worry about it.

Easy for you to say! I'm trying not to worry but when you have so much money invested in one thing, that's really special, it's kind of hard not to. Ya know?

Thats fine....it might take a few years, but it will be worth it Im just hoping for the best....I would be devistated if it decided to take a turn and end up not making it. Atleast I still have it.

Good. Keep that in mind.

It is a nice benefit....getting things at cost is the best Oh, and you have an empty tank....I dont even have the tank yet I figure I should be almost happy with the new tank in a couple years time....then it will be time to move onto other tank projects.

Got me there...okay, I do have a tank, but c'mon, you've got plans for your dream set up. I guess that makes us even. Not to mention you already HAVE a tank!

The diagram is on page 42 You can put even more of your ideas to use in a couple years when you set up more tanks.

Ah. I'll be sure to read that later. *mental note to self*

It wont be too bad other than the fact that both tanks will be plumbed to the basement of his new office. Its gonna be a lot of going up and down stairs. It will def. be interesting though and Im sure I will come up with some idea's that I wish I would have used on my tank

Haha, that'll be good for you! You can get some exercise running up and down all those stairs. And yup, lots of ideas I'm sure.

Dels tank is bigger, but he is only using one OM 4-way......thats ok, you can still be Princess Ball Valve

Then how on earth does he have so many if he's only got a 4 way?! Does he use ball valves instead of PVC or something?! This boggles my mind. :%) Well...hmprh. I still get to be Princess BV so I guess that's all that matters.

I burned the playlist onto a CD Now I can crank it up at the new house during the tank move today

Smart smart...that is, if everyone else will put up with your song selection. Now, how come you couldn't burn it a couple of months ago?

It was just starting to color up when the tank crashed It completely bleached out and was bone white. It has its red polyps back now and is starting to turn blue on the base again....hopefully it wont be long and I can take a pic of it for you

Ugg...figures. Hopefully they will settle into the new tank quite nicely and then you can get some pics up. I'm sure they'll come around again.

bah, you'll ask your reef club for answers I wont ever be lazy

Yeah, uh huh! Sure sure. I ask them some things but I like posting here too.

Yup, I had a look.....I already have all the SPS that you listed As for the others, let me do some research on them and Ill post back

That's kinda what I figured because they're the most common types. Calfo's book is giving me ideas...you might be living on the streets by the time I finish writing a coral list.

Even if the tanks end up having the same things in them they will be completely different....especially with the SPS. Even if we had frags from the same mother colony, chances are growth form and coloration would be different.

Very true. SPS are so diverse it's amazing. I think that's part of what made the baby blue coral so special.

Plus Ill be able to have more fish than you

And quit BRAGGING!

Meanie.

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
If genies were real and wishes came true, I’d rub the bottle and be holding you,
I’d close my eyes, wish upon a star, open my eyes, and there you are…
[/font]

-Formerly known as the Ferretfish
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
It better be a good thing, or else I'm screwed. I've got many many plans up in my head...

Me too, I just need to keep plugging along and hope I get to use some of the plans. Im sure I will since the plan is to have tanks all over the house

Hehe. We'll see how things go. You guys will be my heroes if you can beat MD's price on Salifert tests...hint hint!!

We are going to have a meeting on stocking Salifert test kits.....we still havent decided for sure. If not, I know I can beat MD's price on them anyway..I know a guy that sells them to me at cost

That's true. I wasn't planning on having it this complicated. Compared to the original plan, it's a completely different tank. I hope it works!

It will work.....and it will work better than the original plan. I wouldnt worry about it.

*nods* Well, only time will tell. I'm afraid that you may have to wait a couple of years to get it back the way you want it. Sadly, I think thats the way it has to be. It's a difficult situation...

Thats fine....it might take a few years, but it will be worth it Im just hoping for the best....I would be devistated if it decided to take a turn and end up not making it. Atleast I still have it.

Nate, you'd sooo have the advantage!!! With the business you'll be able to get anything you need! I dont even know if I can figure out a way to put a pony tank on the same system. Doesn't matter right now though, because both of us have empty tanks ATM. Lets work on those first.

It is a nice benefit....getting things at cost is the best Oh, and you have an empty tank....I dont even have the tank yet I figure I should be almost happy with the new tank in a couple years time....then it will be time to move onto other tank projects.

Ah, I'll have to look for that. What page is it on? And I love it when my ideas work out.

The diagram is on page 42 You can put even more of your ideas to use in a couple years when you set up more tanks.

Haha...I remember you telling me about that. Have fun with that project! *evil laugh* Nahh...I'm sure it wont be that bad. This is your hobby, you should be enjoying it. New tanks provide lots of room to learn new tricks and strategies, and can provide lots of ideas for future tanks and projects. It almost forces you to be creative. I think it'll benefit you in the long run.

It wont be too bad other than the fact that both tanks will be plumbed to the basement of his new office. Its gonna be a lot of going up and down stairs. It will def. be interesting though and Im sure I will come up with some idea's that I wish I would have used on my tank

48?!?! Geez...that's sickening. ! Okay, so I dont have that many, but my system is also a lot smaller. I only have one OM unit. One day I'll beat him. Maybe. Until then, Princess Ball Valve it is

Dels tank is bigger, but he is only using one OM 4-way......thats ok, you can still be Princess Ball Valve

I think that'll work quite nicely DRO

I burned the playlist onto a CD Now I can crank it up at the new house during the tank move today

Hah, if you gave him a Superman frag he DEF. owes you another horrida frag, without a doubt. I never did get to see pictures of the Superman once it colored up...

It was just starting to color up when the tank crashed It completely bleached out and was bone white. It has its red polyps back now and is starting to turn blue on the base again....hopefully it wont be long and I can take a pic of it for you.

Well I'm glad someone keeps you on your toes. Wouldn't want to get lazy now would we. I'm sure I'm going to be filled with questions as the filling of the tank nears.

bah, you'll ask your reef club for answers I wont ever be lazy

*nods* Well did you look at anything that I posted above? Like I said, those aren't necessarily for your tank, they could be for mine as well. I just wanted your opinion, as they were things that stuck out to me when I was reading.

Yup, I had a look.....I already have all the SPS that you listed As for the others, let me do some research on them and Ill post back

I'll start working on a list...it might take awhile, but I have some things in mind. I'm afraid our tanks might turn out looking near identical...because anything that I like I'm going to want to suggest to you, and then turn around and put in my tank as well. Oh well.

Even if the tanks end up having the same things in them they will be completely different....especially with the SPS. Even if we had frags from the same mother colony, chances are growth form and coloration would be different.

Plus Ill be able to have more fish than you

[hr width='40%']

terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
Kip is a great guy, as is Del...Im sure that we can figure out a way to make it work. Im almost positive about it because Del has a 6 inch sand bed in his 270 and after adjusting and readjusting its fine.

Proof! Anything is possible. I know it'll work in your tank.

It would have been worth it in the long run...but you also have to remember that it is your first tank and that you will have many other chances to change things on tanks you set up in the future.

That's so true...but it's hard to remember sometimes.

I do that too...IMO its not an uncommon thing to do when you love something so much. Making mental plans is a good thing....even if you can't have them right now.

It better be a good thing, or else I'm screwed. I've got many many plans up in my head...

With a business FedEx account you would be suprised at how cheap shipping is. Plus if it meant that you might bring us more business by using products not available there Im sure we could work a price break. Even if I have to say the product is for use on my tank

Hehe. We'll see how things go. You guys will be my heroes if you can beat MD's price on Salifert tests...hint hint!!

It is coming together nicely. Sure its taking longer than planned, but the design has also came along way from what was originally planned. I cant wait to see it stocked.

That's true. I wasn't planning on having it this complicated. Compared to the original plan, it's a completely different tank. I hope it works!

It appears to be doing ok now. Like I said, it had me kinda scared at one time. You are correct, it doesnt have the same glow it use to have....I guess Im mostly bummed because of the way it was growing...hopefully in time it will continue/start to grow that way again.

*nods* Well, only time will tell. I'm afraid that you may have to wait a couple of years to get it back the way you want it. Sadly, I think thats the way it has to be. It's a difficult situation...

Thats what I would do......concentrate on getting the reef up and running and looking the way you want it. You can always do the pony tank later. Maybe we could do it together later down the road and compare notes.

Nate, you'd sooo have the advantage!!! With the business you'll be able to get anything you need! I dont even know if I can figure out a way to put a pony tank on the same system. Doesn't matter right now though, because both of us have empty tanks ATM. Lets work on those first.

If I do the in tank rack it will be part of a Calfo style surface skimming overflow...He talks about it in his coral prop book and has a diagram.....so it wouldnt be that ugly Ill probably just end up doing a couple seperate tanks though. Yes, it is possible, and likely that all the tanks will be connected to each other in some way.

Ah, I'll have to look for that. What page is it on? And I love it when my ideas work out.

We were planning to head to L.A. when he gets his tanks in his new office set up....man Im not looking forward to plumbing two 500g (main display not including sump and fuges) tanks after doing mine

Haha...I remember you telling me about that. Have fun with that project! *evil laugh* Nahh...I'm sure it wont be that bad. This is your hobby, you should be enjoying it. New tanks provide lots of room to learn new tricks and strategies, and can provide lots of ideas for future tanks and projects. It almost forces you to be creative. I think it'll benefit you in the long run.

I counted Dels when I was at his house last weekend.....I counted 48 ball valves I have a feeling that my tank will have more than his does. You can be Princess Ball Valve if you wish

48?!?! Geez...that's sickening. ! Okay, so I dont have that many, but my system is also a lot smaller. I only have one OM unit. One day I'll beat him. Maybe. Until then, Princess Ball Valve it is.

Thats a good idea...might have to listen to some music off of my "special" playlist on the computer.

I think that'll work quite nicely DRO.

Yup, lost the horrida....The guy that works at HD has a huge colony of it though. Im sure I can get another frag from him. He owes me big time anyway since I gave him a frag of the Superman monti and the special blue coral.

Hah, if you gave him a Superman frag he DEF. owes you another horrida frag, without a doubt. I never did get to see pictures of the Superman once it colored up...

Please, keep the questions coming....anything that has to do with a SPS dominated tank I am more than happy to answer And yes I do have to keep in shape to keep up with you...I always look forward to reading your posts because they make me research and remember things.

Well I'm glad someone keeps you on your toes. Wouldn't want to get lazy now would we. I'm sure I'm going to be filled with questions as the filling of the tank nears.

Yup, I completely trust you with that...you have the knowledge and know what I like.
I look forward to seeing the list.

*nods* Well did you look at anything that I posted above? Like I said, those aren't necessarily for your tank, they could be for mine as well. I just wanted your opinion, as they were things that stuck out to me when I was reading.

I'll start working on a list...it might take awhile, but I have some things in mind. I'm afraid our tanks might turn out looking near identical...because anything that I like I'm going to want to suggest to you, and then turn around and put in my tank as well. Oh well.

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
If genies were real and wishes came true, I’d rub the bottle and be holding you,
[/font]

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
Of course. That's what this hobby is all about! If I know you, you'll figure out a way to make it work. Plus with Kip by your side, how could it not work?!? You two make an awesome team.

Kip is a great guy, as is Del...Im sure that we can figure out a way to make it work. Im almost positive about it because Del has a 6 inch sand bed in his 270 and after adjusting and readjusting its fine.

Big whoop...it would have been worth it in the long run. It would have gotten me a LOT more room to work with...

It would have been worth it in the long run...but you also have to remember that it is your first tank and that you will have many other chances to change things on tanks you set up in the future.

before I go to bed I think about the set up I "could" have had...

I do that too...IMO its not an uncommon thing to do when you love something so much. Making mental plans is a good thing....even if you can't have them right now.

Sweet. I guess I don't live THAT far...okay maybe I do.

With a business FedEx account you would be suprised at how cheap shipping is. Plus if it meant that you might bring us more business by using products not available there Im sure we could work a price break. Even if I have to say the product is for use on my tank

It's getting there...it really is. I like to think of it as the ocean didn't develop over night...so why should my tank? We know that patience is the key in this hobby...and only bad things happen quickly in reef tanks. So I'm not really worried.

I dont think it's lost forever. It may not have the same glow as it used to, but it's recovering, right? I hope that coral sticks around for many years...it's by far my favorite one.

It is coming together nicely. Sure its taking longer than planned, but the design has also came along way from what was originally planned. I cant wait to see it stocked.

It appears to be doing ok now. Like I said, it had me kinda scared at one time. You are correct, it doesnt have the same glow it use to have....I guess Im mostly bummed because of the way it was growing...hopefully in time it will continue/start to grow that way again.

Well I guess. >.< I'm really thinking of attempting the same thing on my tank...but I dont think it's big enough, and I don't think I have the right space for it. Not to mention the cash involved. I think I should really concentrate on getting the reef up right now.

Thats what I would do......concentrate on getting the reef up and running and looking the way you want it. You can always do the pony tank later. Maybe we could do it together later down the road and compare notes.

Ugg, dont do an in tank rack, that wont look natural at all. IMO you're better off having another shallower tank in the basement for frags, on the same system even. (If that's possibly...it's quite likely that I'm making this up completely )

If I do the in tank rack it will be part of a Calfo style surface skimming overflow...He talks about it in his coral prop book and has a diagram.....so it wouldnt be that ugly Ill probably just end up doing a couple seperate tanks though. Yes, it is possible, and likely that all the tanks will be connected to each other in some way.

Ah. That makes sense. I thought you said you were going to L.A. with Kip in a couple weeks...? All the more reason for another tank, or two.

We were planning to head to L.A. when he gets his tanks in his new office set up....man Im not looking forward to plumbing two 500g (main display not including sump and fuges) tanks after doing mine

Ah, well in that case maybe you can spend about $300. Even though HD toys are usually pretty cheap, I can imagine how much you can save by getting them at cost. Ball valves do get pricey after awhile...I've got close to 10 on my system and it's only 100 gallons...I can't even imagine how many you're going to need. Del may be Captain Ball Valve...but I'm Princess Ball Valve in that case. I've grown quite attatched to using them...everywhere.

I counted Dels when I was at his house last weekend.....I counted 48 ball valves I have a feeling that my tank will have more than his does. You can be Princess Ball Valve if you wish

Meh...even tank plumbing can get boring sometimes. I bet it wont be too bad if you've got some of your reef club buddies over...I know at least that's what works for me. I like to put on my favorite music when I'm working on the tank as well, helps keep things interesting.

Thats a good idea...might have to listen to some music off of my "special" playlist on the computer.

Yipes. You lost A. horrida? Do you have any more...? That was another one of my favorites...I like the milli's too. And the clams...Mom is really into clams lately.

Yup, lost the horrida....The guy that works at HD has a huge colony of it though. Im sure I can get another frag from him. He owes me big time anyway since I gave him a frag of the Superman monti and the special blue coral.

I guess I ask a lot of questions that keep you on your toes. You gotta keep in shape to keep up with me, or else I'm going to learn more than you.

Please, keep the questions coming....anything that has to do with a SPS dominated tank I am more than happy to answer And yes I do have to keep in shape to keep up with you...I always look forward to reading your posts because they make me research and remember things.

You trust me with that?

Yup, I completely trust you with that...you have the knowledge and know what I like.

I look forward to seeing the list.

[hr width='40%']

Last edited by DarkRealm Overlord at 28-Apr-2005 23:44
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
Im gonna give it a go with the sand bed. Finding sand shouldnt be that hard since I know that Kip has 50 bags in storage Worst case Ill have to take the rock out and start scooping sand. I just dont see the mandarin being happy and staying nice and fat like he is without the sand bed. The Anthias probably wouldnt do too well either. Im sure I can make it work, its just going to take a lot of fine tuning.

Of course. That's what this hobby is all about! If I know you, you'll figure out a way to make it work. Plus with Kip by your side, how could it not work?!? You two make an awesome team.

Yup, gotta keep the space for frags....I dont know if I will have any frags though unless I start adopting them.
Dumping your plumbing to the basement is very nice to be able to do. It should keep the temp down in the summer to where I dont have to use the chiller (the one that isnt big enough for the new tank ). Im sure you could have made it work, but it would have meant more money. You would have had to upgrade your pump size.

Big whoop...it would have been worth it in the long run. It would have gotten me a LOT more room to work with...before I go to bed I think about the set up I "could" have had...

From conversations that we have had I think you will be setting up plenty of tanks a little later down the road that you can plumb to the basement. Someone once told me to take the time you have to plan your dreams/goals so that once you make it there then they will be perfect. Very good advice that I live by everyday.

Yes indeed...that would be the plan. One day at least.

And hey...I'll remember that.

Yes, even shipping to your end of the world. Im sure something can be worked out so that we can even compete with local prices including shipping.

Sweet. I guess I don't live THAT far...okay maybe I do.

You are not that far away from having your tank up and running though. Its taken a little longer than you had originally planned, but its coming together nicely. The coral is/was special to me...I was really worried that I had lost it forever, but it looks like it will be fine now.

It's getting there...it really is. I like to think of it as the ocean didn't develop over night...so why should my tank? We know that patience is the key in this hobby...and only bad things happen quickly in reef tanks. So I'm not really worried.

I dont think it's lost forever. It may not have the same glow as it used to, but it's recovering, right? I hope that coral sticks around for many years...it's by far my favorite one.

That sounds like a fair trade off though....you get the corals and they get the fish. If you dont like the fish you can always make up some reason why it wouldnt work in your tank. and yes, Princess Anthias. I think they will look nice in their new mountain home. maybe I can get a couple of them to pair off so I can have a mountain wedding for them!

Yeah, it is a fair trade off. Gotta keep the family involved in order to keep the hobby alive. In my case anyway.

I think that the Princess Anthias will settle in quite nicely. I call dibs on the first batch of fry.

I will. Ill probably start to plan it out just so I know how I am going to do it. I just dont want to start it for awhile. I could probably do it by myself, but what fun would that be?

Well I guess. >.< I'm really thinking of attempting the same thing on my tank...but I dont think it's big enough, and I don't think I have the right space for it. Not to mention the cash involved. I think I should really concentrate on getting the reef up right now.

If I do an in-tank rack, it would be mainly for frags of corals that are already sold/have a waiting list for them. They would only be in the frag rack long enough to encrust and for me to make sure they took being fragged Ok. After they are encrusted they would be sold to the people they were originally fragged for.

Ugg, dont do an in tank rack, that wont look natural at all. IMO you're better off having another shallower tank in the basement for frags, on the same system even. (If that's possibly...it's quite likely that I'm making this up completely )

Chances are I wont frag too many things, with the exception of the rare ones that I can make some decent money off of. I will however make trips on occasion to L.A. to visit the wholesalers and do some cherry picking and bring back those corals to either sell, or use as parent stock for frags. If I end up doing that then I will have frag tanks set up just for that reason.

Ah. That makes sense. I thought you said you were going to L.A. with Kip in a couple weeks...? All the more reason for another tank, or two.

I have a friend in the reef club that works at HD and will buy all the stuff for me at his cost. The most expensive thing will be the ball valves. Other than that it shouldnt be too expensive.......but that all depends on how many times I mess up. Im gonna have "Captain Ball Valve" (Del) come and help me plumb it so it will go faster.

Ah, well in that case maybe you can spend about $300. Even though HD toys are usually pretty cheap, I can imagine how much you can save by getting them at cost. Ball valves do get pricey after awhile...I've got close to 10 on my system and it's only 100 gallons...I can't even imagine how many you're going to need. Del may be Captain Ball Valve...but I'm Princess Ball Valve in that case. I've grown quite attatched to using them...everywhere.

I have no doubt it will get done...its just a matter of keeping the fun level up while doing it.

Meh...even tank plumbing can get boring sometimes. I bet it wont be too bad if you've got some of your reef club buddies over...I know at least that's what works for me. I like to put on my favorite music when I'm working on the tank as well, helps keep things interesting.

You really wanna know?

No...but I asked. >.<

My huge Blastomussa colony, medium sized Blue milli colony, dinner plate sized orange monti cap, green with blue/lilac rim monti cap the size of a small plate, 3 fungia plate corals, 3 unidentified Acropora sp., blue/purple horrida, small pink pocilliapora, 3 maxima clams (one being a $189 black and white maxima), black serpant star, and a lot of frags of misc. Acropora.

Yipes. :#( You lost A. horrida? Do you have any more...? That was another one of my favorites...I like the milli's too. And the clams...Mom is really into clams lately.

I think thats it.....and the baby blue coral was fragged aggressively to stop RTN.

Well...unfortunately I already knew that. Dont worry...I'm sure some of the pieces will pull together and come through. *fingers crossed*

Nope, salty chat was on a huge decline without you around. Its nice to be able to chat with someone about it in real time...and NO, I actually missed the question asking. The question asking is what keeps me researching and continuing to learn.

I guess I ask a lot of questions that keep you on your toes. You gotta keep in shape to keep up with me, or else I'm going to learn more than you. Haha, well I doubt that'll happen for awhile. It's funny how a lot of times people compliment me on my knowledge, but I still feel like I know next to nothing. I barely have the basics mastered. *shrug* I think once my tank is filled, and has 'stuff' in it, it'll help with that feeling a little bit. I really think people say it not because I honestly know that much, but because it's an uncommon hobby for my age, and gender. The hobby is obviously male dominated. And how many kids my age do you know with reef tanks...? Not many I'll bet.

Now a project for you......make me a stocking list based on the tank and knowing it will be 100% SPS and clams.

You trust me with that? Well...I think I can help you out a little. This actually works well, because the other day I was reading a new book, and I wrote down some things that really popped out at me that I needed to post about. So I'll type them here, and you can help me with them a little bit. Then we'll see which ones will work in my tank, and which will work in yours. Fair? I think so.

Here's the list...I haven't done any research on any of these things, they just popped out at me for whatever reason so I wrote them down. Some are kind of basic...but, yeah well you get the point. And not all of them are SPS or clams either. Okay I'll just get going here...

"The List"

Corals:
Pocillopora damicornis
Montipora spp.
Acropora formosa
Polyphyllia talpina
Catalaphyllia jardinei
Tubastrea spp.

Clams:
Tridacna maxima
Tridacna crocea

Feather Dusters/Tube Worms:
Sabellastarte spectabilis
Megalomma sp.
Bispira brunnea
Bispira tricyclia

Sea Stars:
Fromia indica
Linckia multifora
Ophiolepis superba

Others:
Clavelina robusta
Opistognathus aurifrons
Phymanthus sp.

That's all for now. I've got double gymnastics practice today so I'm kinda busy. When have more time I'll write some things that I'd like to see in your tank...but I know that A. horrida will def. be on the list again.

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
[/font]

Last edited by Ferretfish at 28-Apr-2005 11:08

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
Doh. I forgot...with all that circulation it might be hard to actually have a sand bed as opposed to a sand storm. Good luck with that...the sand dwelling critters are some of the cutest, I'd hate to see them be put aside.

Im gonna give it a go with the sand bed. Finding sand shouldnt be that hard since I know that Kip has 50 bags in storage Worst case Ill have to take the rock out and start scooping sand. I just dont see the mandarin being happy and staying nice and fat like he is without the sand bed. The Anthias probably wouldnt do too well either. Im sure I can make it work, its just going to take a lot of fine tuning.

Smart DRO. Always gotta keep space for new frags to grow up. This really really really makes me wish that I could drill down into my basement...uggg it just doesn't match up right, and it's too late now. We prolly could have made it work. >.<

Yup, gotta keep the space for frags....I dont know if I will have any frags though unless I start adopting them.

Dumping your plumbing to the basement is very nice to be able to do. It should keep the temp down in the summer to where I dont have to use the chiller (the one that isnt big enough for the new tank ). Im sure you could have made it work, but it would have meant more money. You would have had to upgrade your pump size

Oh well, next tank.

From conversations that we have had I think you will be setting up plenty of tanks a little later down the road that you can plumb to the basement. Someone once told me to take the time you have to plan your dreams/goals so that once you make it there then they will be perfect. Very good advice that I live by everyday.

Niiice. Even shipping to my end of the world? If you can beat Tony's prices you've got my support.

Yes, even shipping to your end of the world. Im sure something can be worked out so that we can even compete with local prices including shipping.

That's true...but it can't crash because it's not UP yet, and that's the point. I know how special that coral was to you...I'm sorry.

You are not that far away from having your tank up and running though. Its taken a little longer than you had originally planned, but its coming together nicely. The coral is/was special to me...I was really worried that I had lost it forever, but it looks like it will be fine now.

That's smart. In a system that big, that's prolly how I'd do it too. Unfortunately I have to keep my family interested in this "project." So the corals will be mine, the fish will be for their pleasure mainly. (After they have my approval of course!) And Princess Anthias?

That sounds like a fair trade off though....you get the corals and they get the fish. If you dont like the fish you can always make up some reason why it wouldnt work in your tank. and yes, Princess Anthias. I think they will look nice in their new mountain home. maybe I can get a couple of them to pair off so I can have a mountain wedding for them!

Fair enough...just promise me you'll keep the idea in the back of your head, okay?

I will. Ill probably start to plan it out just so I know how I am going to do it. I just dont want to start it for awhile. I could probably do it by myself, but what fun would that be?

You really want to have all the frags in the main display? I'd move them somewhere else...maybe some sort of shallow tank with a power head or two, on each side, and egg crate racks or something w/ a MH pendant and a 10K bulb. That is...if you want to sell them and use them for frag swaps and whatnot. If you just want to keep them for yourself for the most part, I'd just leave them in the main display. After all, it is fun to track growth. Just my opinions...

If I do an in-tank rack, it would be mainly for frags of corals that are already sold/have a waiting list for them. They would only be in the frag rack long enough to encrust and for me to make sure they took being fragged Ok. After they are encrusted they would be sold to the people they were originally fragged for.

Chances are I wont frag too many things, with the exception of the rare ones that I can make some decent money off of. I will however make trips on occasion to L.A. to visit the wholesalers and do some cherry picking and bring back those corals to either sell, or use as parent stock for frags. If I end up doing that then I will have frag tanks set up just for that reason.

Really? You're good. I'm almost positive we spent that much, if not a tiny bit more plumbing my tank, and that's only a 100 gallon system! But then again, we had to by wood too, and plywood can get expensive after awhile. There were a lot of supplies necessary for doing the stand modifications and the skirt. Plus we had to get lexan (sp?) for the sump divider. Good luck sticking with that budget.

I have a friend in the reef club that works at HD and will buy all the stuff for me at his cost The most expensive thing will be the ball valves. Other than that it shouldnt be too expensive.......but that all depends on how many times I mess up. Im gonna have "Captain Ball Valve" (Del) come and help me plumb it so it will go faster.

Hmm...a smart aquarist once told me, "Dont worry, it wont be that bad. It'll get done, you wait and see."

I have no doubt it will get done...its just a matter of keeping the fun level up while doing it.

Dare I ask...what did you lose...?

You really wanna know?

My huge Blastomussa colony, medium sized Blue milli colony, dinner plate sized orange monti cap, green with blue/lilac rim monti cap the size of a small plate, 3 fungia plate corals, 3 unidentified Acropora sp., blue/purple horrida, small pink pocilliapora, 3 maxima clams (one being a $189 black and white maxima), black serpant star, and a lot of frags of misc. Acropora.

I think thats it.....and the bably blue coral was fragged aggressively to stop RTN.

I guess nobody else will talk salty with you? The poor chat room...it's been deprived of marine words. I'm surprised you didn't enjoy not having some ignorant girl bouncing around asking questions all the time...

Nope, salty chat was on a huge decline without you around. Its nice to be able to chat with someone about it in real time...and NO, I actually missed the question asking. The question asking is what keeps me researching and continuing to learn.

Now a project for you......make me a stocking list based on the tank and knowing it will be 100% SPS and clams.

[hr width='40%']
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
BB tanks dont look natural to me either....but I dont really want a sand storm in the tank 24/7 Ill probably still end up trying a DSB of atleast 3 inches in the main tank just because I like the benefits that come with it....gotta keep all the sand dwelling critters happy

Doh. I forgot...with all that circulation it might be hard to actually have a sand bed as opposed to a sand storm. Good luck with that...the sand dwelling critters are some of the cutest, I'd hate to see them be put aside.

The basement is completly unfinished....Ill probably go ahead and finish it to have atleast one bedroom and finish the bathroom down there....you never know when you might need an extra bedroom. One room will probably be left open to keep stock in and for coral holding tanks later down the road....kinda depends though. Might need the room for frags.

Smart DRO. Always gotta keep space for new frags to grow up. This really really really makes me wish that I could drill down into my basement...uggg it just doesn't match up right, and it's too late now. We prolly could have made it work. >.< Oh well, next tank.

The website should be nice, and the prices will be very competitive. Shipping should be reasonable if not down right cheap also....

Niiice. Even shipping to my end of the world? If you can beat Tony's prices you've got my support.

Hey, look at the bright side.....atleast your tank didnt crash. Having to frag that coral into 30some pieces about killed me...that coral had/has sentimental value.

That's true...but it can't crash because it's not UP yet, and that's the point. I know how special that coral was to you...I'm sorry.

The majority of the fish will be workers..CBB for aiptasia control, Foxface rabbit for algae (mainly bubble algae) control. Ive changed my mind on the clowns....They will go in a tank that can/will have a RBTA in it. The 6 line is still up in the air, its either him or the fairy wrasses. Im leaning towards keeping the 6-line since I have had him for so long and going with smaller reef fish to fill the tank. Princess Anthias will def. be on the list

That's smart. In a system that big, that's prolly how I'd do it too. Unfortunately I have to keep my family interested in this "project." So the corals will be mine, the fish will be for their pleasure mainly. (After they have my approval of course!) And Princess Anthias?

I havent given up on the seahorse idea...I just need to wait. I need someone here to push me mentally and physically to make me do it...I dont have that right now....maybe someday I will, we will have to wait and see. Setting up the new tank is a big step for me considering I posted the complete setup livestock and all for sale less than a month ago.

Fair enough...just promise me you'll keep the idea in the back of your head, okay?

Ill probably set up some sort of rack in the main display tank for setting frag plugs. It all depends on how I aquascape. Im sure Ill have atleast 100g of water dedicated to frags, its just a matter of when I will get it done.

You really want to have all the frags in the main display? I'd move them somewhere else...maybe some sort of shallow tank with a power head or two, on each side, and egg crate racks or something w/ a MH pendant and a 10K bulb. That is...if you want to sell them and use them for frag swaps and whatnot. If you just want to keep them for yourself for the most part, I'd just leave them in the main display. After all, it is fun to track growth. Just my opinions...

The way I want to do things, Im planning on $300 minimum just for plumbing and thats not including bulkheads, strainers, etc.

Really? You're good. I'm almost positive we spent that much, if not a tiny bit more plumbing my tank, and that's only a 100 gallon system! But then again, we had to by wood too, and plywood can get expensive after awhile. There were a lot of supplies necessary for doing the stand modifications and the skirt. Plus we had to get lexan (sp?) for the sump divider. Good luck sticking with that budget.

It is a fun project, I hope it stays that way through completion. Im not looking forward to the routing/plumbing of the two OM's though. I want them to cross over so that each OM has outlets on each side of the tank.

Hmm...a smart aquarist once told me, "Dont worry, it wont be that bad. It'll get done, you wait and see."

I am going to document the whole tank setup though. I will post it here an on another site once I get going.

Nice. Can't wait to see it...I'm trying to document mine as well. Getting pictures of every step as I go, saving receipts and stuff like that.

ah, almost forgot....Ive been kicking around the idea of another OM 4 way and another Hammerhead just to get my turnover up above 40. I dont know if I will do it or not though. Even at cost the pumps and OM's get spendy

I dont doubt it...when mine came in, my Dad was like, "I can't believe you just spent...you spent...for that?!?" Same deal w/ the skimmer. "I could have made one of those..."

The 180 pulled through......I did lose some stuff, but for the most part its fine.

Dare I ask...what did you lose...?

Its nice talking/posting with you again Liana

I guess nobody else will talk salty with you? The poor chat room...it's been deprived of marine words. I'm surprised you didn't enjoy not having some ignorant girl bouncing around asking questions all the time...

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
[/font]

Last edited by Ferretfish at 27-Apr-2005 10:09

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
The 180 pulled through......I did lose some stuff, but for the most part its fine.

[hr width='40%']
lil_mikey69
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2380
Votes: 1
male usa
So your 180 is gone/dead?
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
ah, almost forgot....Ive been kicking around the idea of another OM 4 way and another Hammerhead just to get my turnover up above 40. I dont know if I will do it or not though. Even at cost the pumps and OM's get spendy

[hr width='40%']
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
Okay...but even so...BB tanks just dont look as natural IMO. Just a liiiiittle sand? Please

BB tanks dont look natural to me either....but I dont really want a sand storm in the tank 24/7 Ill probably still end up trying a DSB of atleast 3 inches in the main tank just because I like the benefits that come with it....gotta keep all the sand dwelling critters happy

Nice, an entire marine basement! Does it get any better? I wanted to drill through our floor REALLY bad, but the basement didn't match up right with the location of the tank. >.< Oh well, I guess there's worse fates. Some day...

Looking forward to seeing the webby, it'll be nice to see some of the products available through you that we dont get much over here.

The basement is completly unfinished....Ill probably go ahead and finish it to have atleast one bedroom and finish the bathroom down there....you never know when you might need an extra bedroom. One room will probably be left open to keep stock in and for coral holding tanks later down the road....kinda depends though. Might need the room for frags

The website should be nice, and the prices will be very competitive. Shipping should be reasonable if not down right cheap also....

WHY DONT YOU TELL THAT TO MY TANK?!?!?

Sorry.

*looks at nice big pile of bricks*

Hey, look at the bright side.....atleast your tank didnt crash. Having to frag that coral into 30some pieces about killed me...that coral had/has sentimental value.

Ohhh! Copperbands! My favorite! Especially Kips. Okay I lied, 6 lines are my favorite. Fairy wrasses are neat too...but I'm still going through an Anthias phase. With a tank that big I think it'd be cute to risk a little bicolor blenny in there too.

The majority of the fish will be workers..CBB for aiptasia control, Foxface rabbit for algae (mainly bubble algae) control. Ive changed my mind on the clowns....They will go in a tank that can/will have a RBTA in it. The 6 line is still up in the air, its either him or the fairy wrasses. Im leaning towards keeping the 6-line since I have had him for so long and going with smaller reef fish to fill the tank. Princess Anthias will def. be on the list

Please don't give up on the seahorse idea. I really liked that one...you better get motivated!!! You've got the room, why wouldn't you do it? Breed 'em, like that, that, that other guy whos name I cannot remember...uggg. You could even make a profit.

I havent given up on the seahorse idea...I just need to wait. I need someone here to push me mentally and physically to make me do it...I dont have that right now....maybe someday I will, we will have to wait and see. Setting up the new tank is a big step for me considering I posted the complete setup livestock and all for sale less than a month ago.

And what about frag/grow out tanks...?
Ill probably set up some sort of rack in the main display tank for setting frag plugs. It all depends on how I aquascape. Im sure Ill have atleast 100g of water dedicated to frags, its just a matter of when I will get it done.

This is becoming quite a fun project. I can't wait to see the HD bill for this one...

The way I want to do things, Im planning on $300 minimum just for plumbing and thats not including bulkheads, strainers, etc.

It is a fun project, I hope it stays that way through completion. Im not looking forward to the routing/plumbing of the two OM's though. I want them to cross over so that each OM has outlets on each side of the tank.

I am going to document the whole tank setup though. I will post it here an on another site once I get going.

Its nice talking/posting with you again Liana

[hr width='40%']

Last edited by DarkRealm Overlord at 26-Apr-2005 21:26
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
Ill probably set them up with ball valves, but probably wont use them. Even with the Sequence hammerheads being rated at 5000gph and running two of them I still wont have the flow that I would like.

Yeah, I only put in the ball valves because it was the same size pipe, so it didn't restrict flow at all, and I figured if I want to use them I can, if I dont, no biggie. It was a $20 safety precaution. Lol. So be it.

The fish load will most likely be pretty low, so I'm not too worried about NNR.

Okay...but even so...BB tanks just dont look as natural IMO. Just a liiiiittle sand? Please?

Living filter beds actually are very effective...a little more cost involved though because of the lighting (especially if using clams). Its amazing how much water a clam or even a sponge can pump though themselves and filter everyday.

Cool! Now that's something I want to consider. Gahh, why does there have to be so many friggen options in this hobby...?

You are correct, the tank plumbing will go through a wall and into a coat closet where the CL pumps will be housed....The plumbing for the fuge will go the same place and down through the floor into the basement. The basement will be used primarily for the business and stock. I already have 25 200g mix buckets of Aquamedic salt, and 13 Sequence pumps. The OM units should be in stock within the next month. Hopefully we can finalize the name and have the website up and running by June.

Nice, an entire marine basement! Does it get any better? I wanted to drill through our floor REALLY bad, but the basement didn't match up right with the location of the tank. >.< Oh well, I guess there's worse fates. Some day...

Looking forward to seeing the webby, it'll be nice to see some of the products available through you that we dont get much over here.

It wont take that long at all. The tank should only take a week to build....after I get the tank it will be pretty quick to set up.

WHY DONT YOU TELL THAT TO MY TANK?!?!? ]:|

Sorry.

*looks at nice big pile of bricks*

I know there will be my mated pair of clowns, the mandarin, 6-line, a copperbanded butterfly, and most likely a foxface rabbitfish in the tank. Other than that im not too sure on what else will be added. Ive given some though to just stocking with fairy wrasses, but if I did that I would need a sand bed and would also need to get rid of the 6-line.

Ohhh! Copperbands! My favorite! Especially Kips. Okay I lied, 6 lines are my favorite. Fairy wrasses are neat too...but I'm still going through an Anthias phase. With a tank that big I think it'd be cute to risk a little bicolor blenny in there too.

That was once the plan...I'm not to sure now though. Most likely the new tank will be the only tank set up. I have plenty of room, but just dont have the motivation anymore.....Maybe in a couple years.

Please don't give up on the seahorse idea. I really liked that one...you better get motivated!!! You've got the room, why wouldn't you do it? Breed 'em, like that, that, that other guy whos name I cannot remember...uggg. You could even make a profit.

And what about frag/grow out tanks...?

This is becoming quite a fun project. I can't wait to see the HD bill for this one...

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
Life’s tough,
Get a helmet.
[/font]

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
We talked a lot about bulb par and whatnot at NERAC. Do you have your own meter? Our club shares one, it's a good idea. Not wanting to do any actinics makes sense for going with 20K.

There are a couple of guys in the club that have light meters, but I'm not too worried about it. I already know the PAR rating of the bulbs that I will probably be running.

That's what I was thinking. Are you going to set them up with ball valves like me and Del or leave them at full throttle?

Ill probably set them up with ball valves, but probably wont use them. Even with the Sequence hammerheads being rated at 5000gph and running two of them I still wont have the flow that I would like.

Interesting. You could always do Calfo's 5 gallon DSB buckets, but you might need a lot to achieve NNR in that tank...lol

The fish load will most likely be pretty low, so I'm not too worried about NNR.

Hmm, that's interesting. I don't think I've ever seen someone do that before. How effective is that?

I'm kind of assuming on this that the new house has a basement and you'll be going through the floor to a fish room...please correct me if I'm wrong.

Living filter beds actually are very effective...a little more cost involved though because of the lighting (especially if using clams). Its amazing how much water a clam or even a sponge can pump though themselves and filter everyday.

You are correct, the tank plumbing will go through a wall and into a coat closet where the CL pumps will be housed....The plumbing for the fuge will go the same place and down through the floor into the basement. The basement will be used primarily for the business and stock. I already have 25 200g mix buckets of Aquamedic salt, and 13 Sequence pumps. The OM units should be in stock within the next month. Hopefully we can finalize the name and have the website up and running by June.

*nods* I was gunna go to IMAC but we just got back from NERAC so I decided to wait for MACNA instead. You dont have very much time, I'd get moving! Of course, it ceases to amaze me how much quicker tanks get up when you have a reef club. I'm sure Kip and Del will take care of you...

It wont take that long at all. The tank should only take a week to build....after I get the tank it will be pretty quick to set up.

Any plans for fish in this tank?

[whispers] I'd like to see some special anthias... [/whispers]

It's too bad a Helfrichi would get lost in that tank...Just stay away from sailfins this time. Too destructive.

I know there will be my mated pair of clowns, the mandarin, 6-line, a copperbanded butterfly, and most likely a foxface rabbitfish in the tank. Other than that im not too sure on what else will be added. Ive given some though to just stocking with fairy wrasses, but if I did that I would need a sand bed and would also need to get rid of the 6-line.

One last question...are you going to hook a seahorse tank onto the same system?

That was once the plan...I'm not to sure now though. Most likely the new tank will be the only tank set up. I have plenty of room, but just dont have the motivation anymore.....Maybe in a couple years.

[hr width='40%']
There is no god up in the sky tonight
No sign of heaven anywhere in sight
All that was true is left behind
Once I could see now I am blind
Don't want your dreams you try to sell
This disease I give to myself

Last edited by DarkRealm Overlord at 26-Apr-2005 12:17
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
After reading Sanjays reports on bulb par, and talking to him about it yes I still want to go with 20K bulbs. I dont want to have to run any actinic supplementation at all on this tank.

We talked a lot about bulb par and whatnot at NERAC. Do you have your own meter? Our club shares one, it's a good idea. Not wanting to do any actinics makes sense for going with 20K.

If I just did the 8 way then the flow would be null if I lost the pump. Plus with two of the 4-ways running the flow will be more chaotic.

That's what I was thinking. Are you going to set them up with ball valves like me and Del or leave them at full throttle?

I will most likely go with Starboard and the tank will be barebottom. If I choose to go that way then I will run a DSB in the refugium.

Interesting. You could always do Calfo's 5 gallon DSB buckets, but you might need a lot to achieve NNR in that tank...lol

I have been kicking around the idea of using a living filter of clams in one section of the fuge....

Hmm, that's interesting. I don't think I've ever seen someone do that before. How effective is that?

I'm kind of assuming on this that the new house has a basement and you'll be going through the floor to a fish room...please correct me if I'm wrong.

I was thinking about using Mangroves, but they would just be grown so i could say that I did it.

Same here.

It better be, or I wont be going to MACNA with Kip. Im hoping it will be up and running long enough so I am comfy with leaving it to go to IMAC at the end of June....we will see.

*nods* I was gunna go to IMAC but we just got back from NERAC so I decided to wait for MACNA instead. You dont have very much time, I'd get moving! Of course, it ceases to amaze me how much quicker tanks get up when you have a reef club. I'm sure Kip and Del will take care of you...

Any plans for fish in this tank?

[whispers] I'd like to see some special anthias... [/whispers]

It's too bad a Helfrichi would get lost in that tank...Just stay away from sailfins this time. Too destructive.

One last question...are you going to hook a seahorse tank onto the same system?

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
Life’s tough,
Get a helmet.
[/font]

houston
---------------
-----
Fish Guru
You want what when?
Kudos: 2462
Votes: 337
female usa
Dang Nate, I wish I had the money, time, patience, and knowledge to be able to set this one upSomeday I swear I am going to venture to the dark sidejust not today...when I do I'll know where to come for advice and knowledge...michelle

"I've got a great ambition to die of exhaustion rather than boredom." Thomas Carlyle
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
You really want to go with the 20K bulbs? After a presentation on Acropora's by Joe Burger, I'm learning that they can do much better under certain 10K bulbs, which will still give you a blueish color. Not all 10K's look yellow. The 20K on that big of a set up just seems like it might be a little too blue. *shrug* Maybe a combination of both?

After reading Sanjays reports on bulb par, and talking to him about it yes I still want to go with 20K bulbs. I dont want to have to run any actinic supplementation at all on this tank. I unlike Joe dont really care about growth on this tank. I would rather have excellent coloration which can be accomplished much easier with the 20K bulbs. So far I have tried 8 different bulbs ranging from 10K-14K and to me they still look yellow....especialy when I turn the actinics off on the tank.

Sounds like a nice set up though, I know you fancy square tanks...sounds like a dream come true.

Part of the dream is coming to life....I've come to realise that the other part isnt going to happen.

I think you'll be very happy with the OM units, I'm in love with mine. May I ask why you chose two 4-ways instead of one 8-way?

I went with the two 4-way units and two Sequence hammerhead pumps for redundancy...the way that I will have them plumbed will guarantee that atleast one OM will be running unless there is a total loss of power. Im going to have each pump wired to its own circuit so that if a breaker kicks on one pump then the other will still be running...hence one OM will still be running. If I just did the 8 way then the flow would be null if I lost the pump. Plus with two of the 4-ways running the flow will be more chaotic.

Are you planning DSB on this tank? I hope you can get ahold of a lot of Southdown or something.
I will most likely go with Starboard and the tank will be barebottom. If I choose to go that way then I will run a DSB in the refugium.

With the sump, I think it'd be neat to do a mangrove experiment. Have any plans for propagation tanks or vegetable filtration or anything like that?

I have been kicking around the idea of using a living filter of clams in one section of the fuge....I may also use either Xenia, or Aiptasia as a living filter. Plans are not set in stone yet. I was thinking about using Mangroves, but they would just be grown so i could say that I did it. In order to get good filtration quality out of them you need 10 mangroves for every 55 gallons....I just dont want to dedicate that much room to them.

New tanks are always fun...think it'll be up by MACNA?

It better be, or I wont be going to MACNA with Kip. Im hoping it will be up and running long enough so I am comfy with leaving it to go to IMAC at the end of June....we will see.

[hr width='40%']
I tear my heart open, I sew myself shut
My weakness is that I care too much
And my scars remind me that the past is real
I tear my heart open just to feel

terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
You really want to go with the 20K bulbs? After a presentation on Acropora's by Joe Burger, I'm learning that they can do much better under certain 10K bulbs, which will still give you a blueish color. Not all 10K's look yellow. The 20K on that big of a set up just seems like it might be a little too blue. *shrug* Maybe a combination of both?

Sounds like a nice set up though, I know you fancy square tanks...sounds like a dream come true.

I think you'll be very happy with the OM units, I'm in love with mine. May I ask why you chose two 4-ways instead of one 8-way?

Are you planning DSB on this tank? I hope you can get ahold of a lot of Southdown or something.

With the sump, I think it'd be neat to do a mangrove experiment. Have any plans for propagation tanks or vegetable filtration or anything like that?

New tanks are always fun...think it'll be up by MACNA?

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
Life’s tough,
Get a helmet.
[/font]

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
Well, I just got off the phone with the guy that will be building the new tank. He is starting on it today. The tank will be 48 X 48 X 30 which makes it a 300 gallon cube.

Here is the plan....

Tank: 300g

Refugium: 200g

Lighting: Three Aquamedic 48in spacelights equaling 6 X 250w DE halides 20K bulbs.

Flow: Sequence Dart for the return pump from the refugium. Sequence Hammerhead X 2 for the closed loop. I will also be using TWO Oceans Motion 4 ways on the closed loop.

Skimmers: Most likely either Grotech or Aquamedic....havent decided yet.

Calcium and alkalinty additives: Kalkwasser and Calcium reactor.....Kalk reactor will be DIY and the Calcium reactor will most likely be Aquamedic.

I think thats all I have planned for now. I will add more later as I get it planned out better.

[hr width='40%']
Ever since the day you went away
And left me lonely and cold
My life just hasn't been the same
Oh baby no

# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies