FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Marine Aquaria
 L# Reef Keeping
  L# New tank in process of being built!
   L# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNew tank in process of being built!
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
Kudos: 2166
male usa us-colorado
No worries Matt......I have a lot of stuff already bought and on hold with Phishybusiness.com I have close to $1000 worth of sps that I paid for almost 8 months ago that he is holding for me
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
I wish I had some frags to help you get on your way DRO. Maybe a little sun polyp will happen to pop off and I can get you started up with those again.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
Kudos: 1889
Votes: 229
female usa

-Formerly known as the Ferretfish
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
And when you say frags...do you mean frags...or "frags"...?

I mean both

This is going to be some fun plumbing. I wish I could help. How fun would that be? Captain, Prince, and Princess Ball Valve unite!!!

there will be other tanks that you could help with Im already starting to pick up plumbing pieces here and there.....its hard finding 2 inch thin wall PVC though!

Last edited by DarkRealm Overlord at 12-Nov-2005 21:17
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
That could be fun. I cant wait to see the pictures!!!

And when you say frags...do you mean frags...or "frags"...?

This is going to be some fun plumbing. I wish I could help. How fun would that be? Captain, Prince, and Princess Ball Valve unite!!!

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
your prize can be coming to see it up and running in a couple years.......that and knowing that Im stocking it with your stocking list

I think im gonna set up a place for frags in the basement too Maybe Ill send some frags with you for your tank at college
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
nu uh! no way! not fair!

*pouts and whines*

Naaate.

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
Your prize is a secret

terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
And what's my prize?

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
Yuppers, finish that stocking list
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa

EDIT:

Okay, I needed to write more than just a smiley face. You know me. I love to talk.

I cant tell you how happy I am to see this thread up and running again. I'm so proud of you for sticking through a really rough time, and staying with this hobby. I actually should rephrase that, and say for sticking with a dream.

This means I have to reveal the rest of my stocking list huh. >.<

Things are going to be hard. You dont need me to tell you that. This is one hell of an expensive dream you've (we've?) embarked on! But I cant wait to watch it come alive. Always remember that there are people here who love to talk to you, and pick apart your brain for advice. When you're feeling discouraged, you should know where to go.

*takes off Dr. Phil hat*

-Liana

Last edited by Ferretfish at 12-Nov-2005 19:50

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
Bump

Sorry, I had to bump it so it wouldnt get lost....A lot of info here I still need
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
The tank is finished, I just need to pick it up. It wont be set up yet though because Im trying to decide if I want to stay in the hobby or not

Life has taken me down a new path and there are other things more important to put money towards right now
nano reefer
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 570
Votes: 3
male uk
Howz the tank coming along?
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
Funny that you say just a hobby, because even though I barely consider myself actually in this "hobby" I'm beginning to think it's more of a lifestyle than anything...

From past conversations with you, I just find it a little upsetting I guess that you're giving up on the tank for now. I know goals and dreams change, I just didn't think it would ever have to come down to this. I also know that you've told me you haven't ever made it very long without a tank...I just really hope that one day I get to see my stocking list put to use in a tank of yours.

Though I might not like/understand it, I do hope your "totally new direction" works out for you. If this new road comes without another L. spp, without P. smithvanizi, and without mmtb's...I guess that's something I'm going to have to accept...

Last edited by Ferretfish at 22-Jun-2005 13:34

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
I just dont understand. It's not like you to give up like this. I know you, and you're not a a typical quitter. You've been through a lot, and you work very hard.

Im not quiting....Nothing has changed as far as everything that you stated. Sometimes goals and Priorities change, which is what has happened. I realized that this hobby is just that..a hobby. There are things more important to work/live for, and thats what Im going to do. Atleast for awhile, who knows I may set up something later down the road.

You love your hobby, and are very involved with it. You've benefitted many people with your endless amount of knowledge and hope.

That wont change. I will still be involved in the hobby to some degree. I will still be around the forums that I normally visit daily, and I will still post when I need to. Me not having a tank doesnt change anything really. I will continue to research just because of the simple fact that the animals interest me.

You dream big, and you dont take crap from anyone.

I still do dream big.....the dream has just changed. Goals and Priorities...

It all winds down to your decision, I have neither the ability or right to change your mind...do whatever you want, I wish you the best of luck Nate.

Yes it does wind down to my decision.....and Ive already made it. Thanks for wishing me the best of luck.

I'll end with keep your chin up, but I've come to the realization you'd rather look at the floor. >.<

Im not looking at the floor...Im just looking in a totally new direction.
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
I just dont understand. It's not like you to give up like this. I know you, and you're not a a typical quitter. You've been through a lot, and you work very hard. You love your hobby, and are very involved with it. You've benefitted many people with your endless amount of knowledge and hope. You dream big, and you dont take crap from anyone. It all winds down to your decision, I have neither the ability or right to change your mind...do whatever you want, I wish you the best of luck Nate. I'll end with keep your chin up, but I've come to the realization you'd rather look at the floor. >.<

Darth Vader
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 334
Votes: 35
male australia
wwwoooooooohhhhhhhhhhh did you say 300 gallons thats 1135.5 litres thats massive and awrsome at the same time but i'd hate to be the one cleaning every month or so
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
??? whats the question?

Its simple really...there are other things more important to spent my money on, too many other things going on in my life, and im just not interested in having a tank up and running at the moment.
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
???

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
Tanks been put on hold as far as setting it up. Its almost finished being built though. The new tank will be put into storage.

Im out of the hobby for now, possibly for good.

Ill be posting a thread in the classifieds with some items for sale including a calcium reactor, pumps, etc.

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
Well, I just got back from talking to Marcus....ended up discussing tank size again. Its been a constant battle in my mind on whether to go with 24 or 30 inches deep. I finally made up my mind today and plopped down more cash. The tank is going to be 30 inches deep, and instead of 1/2 inch acrylic it will be built out of 3/4 inch acrylic. Why 3/4 inch acrylic? We changed the plans and are going to build the tank with euro-bracing for better light penetration and less cleaning on the top

It will be done by the end of the month! Then it will sit on the stand for another couple months while I get equipment rounded up

[hr width='40%']
Look at me, my depth perception must be off again,
Coz' this hurts deeper than I thought it did,
It has not healed with time...
It just shot down my spine.
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
Nope, no updates. Im gonna meet up with Marcus today and see how the tank is coming. After the tank is done, there probably wont be updates for quite some time because of lack of equipment.

[hr width='40%']
Look at me, my depth perception must be off again,
Coz' this hurts deeper than I thought it did,
It has not healed with time...
It just shot down my spine.
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
*bump*

Just one more day of school! That's it...just one more day. *sigh of relief* Then posting may turn somewhat normal...

Not going to mention finals and regents.

*cough*

Any updates Nate?

-Ferret

acei
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 291
Votes: 1
male usa
check this out;
http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
Where can I get a summary and sketch of a refugium setup? I am busy with a new 1.2m setup, and the sump is 1m 3 chambers, I was hoping to change it to 4 chambers and include a refugium chamber as well.

Probably the best place to look would be on [link=http://www.reefcentral.com]http://www.reefcentral.com" style="COLOR: #FF0000[/link] in their DIY forum or filtration forum

[hr width='40%']
All the things that you said
I knew they wouldnt last
All the plans that we made
are part of the past.
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
Yay. Pix?

I completely forgot to take pics of the little guy. I was too busy having fun feeding him french fries

Yeah. I have the biggest tank for my age in the club. It's fun telling people that I have a 100 gallon system, they give me a look like "That must be bigger than you!" Everyone in our club feels inferior with tank size because of Joe. I mean c'mon, when the head of your reef club has a fish tank bigger than your kitchen, it's hard to be satisfied with the size of your own

Very true, but if you are happy with what you have(is that possible? ) then thats all that matters. Atleast you have a tank......Im missing mine big time.

Oh yeah...I thought I had to measure something? Well when we pick up salt later today/tomorrow, we'll be playing around so I'll take a peek for you.

Works for me....maybe we can get your overflows to quiet down a bit by making some adjustments

But of course. Camera is attatched to my hand when visiting aquariums. I think next months reef meeting is Family Fun Day at Atlantis, where club members get in free. I'll concentrate on getting some good pix of the reef tank this time. Any other requests? And dont say never Nate...if I know you, when things begin to come together you'll take a little road trip (or two or three!) with Kip.

I highly doubt Ill make it out that way....to much work and not enough time to take a trip, and really no reason to go. Im going to have a hard enough time trying to make it to MACNA this year. Ive been working almost a double work week between going in early to work and the side jobs just trying to get some money saved up. The only way I can guarantee that I go to MACNA is to not set up the tank.

hmmmmm, picture requests.....do you really have to ask?

Sweet. *wonders what she's gotten herself into*

*shrugs* Dont know....guess you will find out in time

No. Errr...no. The guys from the club liked my article though, and I recieved offers on free frags as a reward for a job well done (to be validated when my tank is ready of course). You're the smarty pants here...I just sorta tag along. Also, I love cracking open a book that I know has info on the topic, even if I'm sketchy about it. Posting helps me learn, and helps me remember things that otherwise I would not have had a reason to look up

Nah, you are the new smarty pants....you post more than I do

Im very impressed with how you threw yourself into this side of the hobby and how much you have absorbed already! Keep it up

Mehh...I've thrown in a couple of random questions here and there. I've got one about reverse photoperiod sumps when you're ready!

Im ready whenever you are

This is sort of old new by now, but I know you can do it. You know you wont last more than a couple of months without a tank. You know how upsetting it'll be when I ask to see pictures of this and that and you cant show me, because you decided not to put a tank up. Without a tank to take pictures of, many things in the future you may have to describe to me will be harder to understand. I think I was looking forward to this tank just as much, if not more than you! Should I stop my stocking list, and find another reefer to give it to? Is the true and original SPS freak on fishprofiles not going to have a reef tank? Say it isn't so...keep your chin up Nate, you can do it. I know you can.

Its actually getting to the point that if I dont do something with a tank then I probably wont set one up. I hate not having the funding to do what I want to do

NO, DO NOT STOP THE STOCKING LIST AND FIND SOMEONE ELSE TO GIVE IT TOO! Speaking of stocking lists.....Im sooooo sorry that I havent had time to work on yours and get it finished up so I can post it

Im trying to keep my chin up....sometimes its just hard to do though. Im going through one of those times where it seems like nothing I really want is going to happen. Im losing hope on almost everything and I cant stop it.

Methinks you need to stop spending money on corals and start putting some towards tank construction

Hey! I havent bought any corals this week! I did go to HD and spend $100 on 2X4's for the stand though

RIP little L. spp, I hope Lee is up there looking at you, and admiring your beauty the way we once did...

Nothing like making me cry when I read that! Im sure he is taking care of her for me till I get there.

Well well, no more finger prints and writing messages, because we've got a DSB in there now! I hope progress on my tank cheers you up the way progress on yours cheers me up. *points and chants* I have a DSB...I have a DSB...

You could write messages in the DSB Progress on your tank is all that I have right now.....cause Im sure not making any progress on mine

Yepp..."the boys" keep asking if I've decided on lighting yet, and I keep saying I'm just going to go with my gut. Hopefully if I ever have a problem with it the AM guys will be able to help me out in a pinch. And worst comes to worst, SOMEBODY in the club will have a spare light that could be used if my fixture ever crashed. Or corals could be moved temporarily. I'm not worried about it---I dont know why everyone else is making such a big deal.

I dont see you having a problem with it...even if you do, Im sure you could find an Aquamedic dealer if you thought about it hard enough I think they could get you the parts you need pretty fast.

Ohhh fancy! Lemme know how it works out. Know anyone whos got it yet? Looks like a stocking stuffer to me.

I know two people that have them, and so far they are happy with them. Im just curious as to how long the probes last before needing replaced. Ill probably get one in Fall once the tank is up and runniing and im happy with the way I have it set up.

Hmm. Well, I think I'm going to take it as a compliment, because Calfo is very smart and sought after for his advice and care much of the time. He's the reefers idol, so, I guess it's neat that someone thinks I actually have the potential to be as gifted as he.

Yuppers, I would take it as a compliment also.

Ohhhh yes! I have several to share; everyday I see them on my desk and think "I have to learn to use the scanner" but I keep forgetting. I WILL get it done this weekend though, we have Monday off from school so that gives me extra time.

Geesh, must be rough...I have side jobs to do on Monday Nothing like working 7 days a week!

Think again buddy.

*cough*

[hr width='40%']
All the things that you said
I knew they wouldnt last
All the plans that we made
are part of the past.
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
*takes deep breath*

The puppy was safely returned to its owners. They were so happy that he didnt get hurt and that someone who cared picked him up and called them.

Yay. Pix?

Unfortunately that is reality...we always want what we cant have. You will always want a bigger and better tank, thats just the way it works Im sure you will fit everything in there that you want....well ok, not everything but that is a good thing. It makes you really think about what you want instead of just settling for something. It will all work out....you tank is still a decent size. Im sure you will be happy with it and will figure out a way to make it work.

Yeah. I have the biggest tank for my age in the club. It's fun telling people that I have a 100 gallon system, they give me a look like "That must be bigger than you!" Everyone in our club feels inferior with tank size because of Joe. I mean c'mon, when the head of your reef club has a fish tank bigger than your kitchen, it's hard to be satisfied with the size of your own.

ummmm, remember to see if the return pump is going wide open, and same with the returns.

Oh yeah...I thought I had to measure something? Well when we pick up salt later today/tomorrow, we'll be playing around so I'll take a peek for you.

You will have to keep taking pictures when you go to see them.....I doubt I will ever make it there to see them in person though.

But of course. Camera is attatched to my hand when visiting aquariums. I think next months reef meeting is Family Fun Day at Atlantis, where club members get in free. I'll concentrate on getting some good pix of the reef tank this time. Any other requests? And dont say never Nate...if I know you, when things begin to come together you'll take a little road trip (or two or three!) with Kip.

Works for me...no hurry.

Sweet. *wonders what she's gotten herself into*

Not entirely true....you are a "smarty pants" here too....have you went back and read any of your posts, and what about your article?

No. Errr...no. The guys from the club liked my article though, and I recieved offers on free frags as a reward for a job well done (to be validated when my tank is ready of course). You're the smarty pants here...I just sorta tag along. Also, I love cracking open a book that I know has info on the topic, even if I'm sketchy about it. Posting helps me learn, and helps me remember things that otherwise I would not have had a reason to look up.

hard to say really.....I think it depends on if we throw some questions and stuff into it or just keep it a conf.

Mehh...I've thrown in a couple of random questions here and there. I've got one about reverse photoperiod sumps when you're ready!

I will do that....but its not a matter of when, its a matter of if...I just dont know if I can do it. I checked things tonight and its a total loss....all sps are gone.

This is sort of old new by now, but I know you can do it. You know you wont last more than a couple of months without a tank. You know how upsetting it'll be when I ask to see pictures of this and that and you cant show me, because you decided not to put a tank up. Without a tank to take pictures of, many things in the future you may have to describe to me will be harder to understand. I think I was looking forward to this tank just as much, if not more than you! Should I stop my stocking list, and find another reefer to give it to? Is the true and original SPS freak on fishprofiles not going to have a reef tank? Say it isn't so...keep your chin up Nate, you can do it. I know you can.

Yup, I got the original from Serdar probably 8 months ago. I ordered with Kip and sent Serdar $300 and told him to suprise me with whatever he wanted to send.

Methinks you need to stop spending money on corals and start putting some towards tank construction.

Im afraid shes gone for good....went to check tonight and there def. isnt any tissue left.

RIP little L. spp, I hope Lee is up there looking at you, and admiring your beauty the way we once did...

Finger Prints and writing.....I remember. Im glad your tank is going well and is getting close to having SW in it. Chin is up only 5% of the time...having a hard time keeping it up anymore than that.

Well well, no more finger prints and writing messages, because we've got a DSB in there now! I hope progress on my tank cheers you up the way progress on yours cheers me up. *points and chants* I have a DSB...I have a DSB...

You already know what I will say to that.....buy what you want the first time instead of having to spend more money later to get it because you werent happy on what you settled on. You are correct....the price difference isnt that much, especially considering its what you want.

Yepp..."the boys" keep asking if I've decided on lighting yet, and I keep saying I'm just going to go with my gut. Hopefully if I ever have a problem with it the AM guys will be able to help me out in a pinch. And worst comes to worst, SOMEBODY in the club will have a spare light that could be used if my fixture ever crashed. Or corals could be moved temporarily. I'm not worried about it---I dont know why everyone else is making such a big deal.

The main test kits that you will need are Calcium, alkalinity/dkh, Ph, Nitrate, and magnesium if you want. I honestly dont have test kits for anything but calcium, dkh, and magnesium.

Magnesium is the only one I dont have, I'll throw that in on the next MD order. (WITH MY FREE T-SHIRT!!! ) I think the test kits are really only important for cycling and keeping an eye on params then.

Its pretty new, so ive been waiting for people to use it for awhile to see how it holds up.

Ohhh fancy! Lemme know how it works out. Know anyone whos got it yet? Looks like a stocking stuffer to me.

He brought his Mesoscope to the meeting with him...When I was over there for breakfast I tinkered around with it quite a bit. Its a very cool piece of equipment.

Ohhh yes I think he had one of those in pictures or something. Very cool toy, seems pretty unnecessary but neat.

*shrugs* dont know....guess it depends on how you feel about that.

Hmm. Well, I think I'm going to take it as a compliment, because Calfo is very smart and sought after for his advice and care much of the time. He's the reefers idol, so, I guess it's neat that someone thinks I actually have the potential to be as gifted as he.

I wrote some and posted a lot of my writings to my blog so I didnt lose them in the move. Look forward to seeing the pictures.....Im sure someone can show you how to use the scanner.

Ohhhh yes! I have several to share; everyday I see them on my desk and think "I have to learn to use the scanner" but I keep forgetting. I WILL get it done this weekend though, we have Monday off from school so that gives me extra time.

Not anymore its not.

Think again buddy.

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
I tear my heart open, I sew myself shut
My weakness is that I care too much
And my scars remind me that the past is real
I tear my heart open just to feel
[/font]

GuessWho
-----
Hobbyist
Votes: 0
male southafrica
Hi DRO

Where can I get a summary and sketch of a refugium setup? I am busy with a new 1.2m setup, and the sump is 1m 3 chambers, I was hoping to change it to 4 chambers and include a refugium chamber as well.

Thanks
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
Me too, I just need to keep plugging along and hope I get to use some of the plans. Im sure I will since the plan is to have tanks all over the house

Who could argue with that plan?

We are going to have a meeting on stocking Salifert test kits.....we still havent decided for sure. If not, I know I can beat MD's price on them anyway..I know a guy that sells them to me at cost

You better sell them! I've only got Calcium, I have a feeling once the corals come that I'm going to want some others...including more accurate basics.

It will work.....and it will work better than the original plan. I wouldnt worry about it.

Easy for you to say! I'm trying not to worry but when you have so much money invested in one thing, that's really special, it's kind of hard not to. Ya know?

Thats fine....it might take a few years, but it will be worth it Im just hoping for the best....I would be devistated if it decided to take a turn and end up not making it. Atleast I still have it.

Good. Keep that in mind.

It is a nice benefit....getting things at cost is the best Oh, and you have an empty tank....I dont even have the tank yet I figure I should be almost happy with the new tank in a couple years time....then it will be time to move onto other tank projects.

Got me there...okay, I do have a tank, but c'mon, you've got plans for your dream set up. I guess that makes us even. Not to mention you already HAVE a tank!

The diagram is on page 42 You can put even more of your ideas to use in a couple years when you set up more tanks.

Ah. I'll be sure to read that later. *mental note to self*

It wont be too bad other than the fact that both tanks will be plumbed to the basement of his new office. Its gonna be a lot of going up and down stairs. It will def. be interesting though and Im sure I will come up with some idea's that I wish I would have used on my tank

Haha, that'll be good for you! You can get some exercise running up and down all those stairs. And yup, lots of ideas I'm sure.

Dels tank is bigger, but he is only using one OM 4-way......thats ok, you can still be Princess Ball Valve

Then how on earth does he have so many if he's only got a 4 way?! Does he use ball valves instead of PVC or something?! This boggles my mind. :%) Well...hmprh. I still get to be Princess BV so I guess that's all that matters.

I burned the playlist onto a CD Now I can crank it up at the new house during the tank move today

Smart smart...that is, if everyone else will put up with your song selection. Now, how come you couldn't burn it a couple of months ago?

It was just starting to color up when the tank crashed It completely bleached out and was bone white. It has its red polyps back now and is starting to turn blue on the base again....hopefully it wont be long and I can take a pic of it for you

Ugg...figures. Hopefully they will settle into the new tank quite nicely and then you can get some pics up. I'm sure they'll come around again.

bah, you'll ask your reef club for answers I wont ever be lazy

Yeah, uh huh! Sure sure. I ask them some things but I like posting here too.

Yup, I had a look.....I already have all the SPS that you listed As for the others, let me do some research on them and Ill post back

That's kinda what I figured because they're the most common types. Calfo's book is giving me ideas...you might be living on the streets by the time I finish writing a coral list.

Even if the tanks end up having the same things in them they will be completely different....especially with the SPS. Even if we had frags from the same mother colony, chances are growth form and coloration would be different.

Very true. SPS are so diverse it's amazing. I think that's part of what made the baby blue coral so special.

Plus Ill be able to have more fish than you

And quit BRAGGING!

Meanie.

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
If genies were real and wishes came true, I’d rub the bottle and be holding you,
I’d close my eyes, wish upon a star, open my eyes, and there you are…
[/font]

terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
BB tanks dont look natural to me either....but I dont really want a sand storm in the tank 24/7 Ill probably still end up trying a DSB of atleast 3 inches in the main tank just because I like the benefits that come with it....gotta keep all the sand dwelling critters happy

Doh. I forgot...with all that circulation it might be hard to actually have a sand bed as opposed to a sand storm. Good luck with that...the sand dwelling critters are some of the cutest, I'd hate to see them be put aside.

The basement is completly unfinished....Ill probably go ahead and finish it to have atleast one bedroom and finish the bathroom down there....you never know when you might need an extra bedroom. One room will probably be left open to keep stock in and for coral holding tanks later down the road....kinda depends though. Might need the room for frags.

Smart DRO. Always gotta keep space for new frags to grow up. This really really really makes me wish that I could drill down into my basement...uggg it just doesn't match up right, and it's too late now. We prolly could have made it work. >.< Oh well, next tank.

The website should be nice, and the prices will be very competitive. Shipping should be reasonable if not down right cheap also....

Niiice. Even shipping to my end of the world? If you can beat Tony's prices you've got my support.

Hey, look at the bright side.....atleast your tank didnt crash. Having to frag that coral into 30some pieces about killed me...that coral had/has sentimental value.

That's true...but it can't crash because it's not UP yet, and that's the point. I know how special that coral was to you...I'm sorry.

The majority of the fish will be workers..CBB for aiptasia control, Foxface rabbit for algae (mainly bubble algae) control. Ive changed my mind on the clowns....They will go in a tank that can/will have a RBTA in it. The 6 line is still up in the air, its either him or the fairy wrasses. Im leaning towards keeping the 6-line since I have had him for so long and going with smaller reef fish to fill the tank. Princess Anthias will def. be on the list

That's smart. In a system that big, that's prolly how I'd do it too. Unfortunately I have to keep my family interested in this "project." So the corals will be mine, the fish will be for their pleasure mainly. (After they have my approval of course!) And Princess Anthias?

I havent given up on the seahorse idea...I just need to wait. I need someone here to push me mentally and physically to make me do it...I dont have that right now....maybe someday I will, we will have to wait and see. Setting up the new tank is a big step for me considering I posted the complete setup livestock and all for sale less than a month ago.

Fair enough...just promise me you'll keep the idea in the back of your head, okay?

Ill probably set up some sort of rack in the main display tank for setting frag plugs. It all depends on how I aquascape. Im sure Ill have atleast 100g of water dedicated to frags, its just a matter of when I will get it done.

You really want to have all the frags in the main display? I'd move them somewhere else...maybe some sort of shallow tank with a power head or two, on each side, and egg crate racks or something w/ a MH pendant and a 10K bulb. That is...if you want to sell them and use them for frag swaps and whatnot. If you just want to keep them for yourself for the most part, I'd just leave them in the main display. After all, it is fun to track growth. Just my opinions...

The way I want to do things, Im planning on $300 minimum just for plumbing and thats not including bulkheads, strainers, etc.

Really? You're good. I'm almost positive we spent that much, if not a tiny bit more plumbing my tank, and that's only a 100 gallon system! But then again, we had to by wood too, and plywood can get expensive after awhile. There were a lot of supplies necessary for doing the stand modifications and the skirt. Plus we had to get lexan (sp?) for the sump divider. Good luck sticking with that budget.

It is a fun project, I hope it stays that way through completion. Im not looking forward to the routing/plumbing of the two OM's though. I want them to cross over so that each OM has outlets on each side of the tank.

Hmm...a smart aquarist once told me, "Dont worry, it wont be that bad. It'll get done, you wait and see."

I am going to document the whole tank setup though. I will post it here an on another site once I get going.

Nice. Can't wait to see it...I'm trying to document mine as well. Getting pictures of every step as I go, saving receipts and stuff like that.

ah, almost forgot....Ive been kicking around the idea of another OM 4 way and another Hammerhead just to get my turnover up above 40. I dont know if I will do it or not though. Even at cost the pumps and OM's get spendy

I dont doubt it...when mine came in, my Dad was like, "I can't believe you just spent...you spent...for that?!?" Same deal w/ the skimmer. "I could have made one of those..."

The 180 pulled through......I did lose some stuff, but for the most part its fine.

Dare I ask...what did you lose...?

Its nice talking/posting with you again Liana

I guess nobody else will talk salty with you? The poor chat room...it's been deprived of marine words. I'm surprised you didn't enjoy not having some ignorant girl bouncing around asking questions all the time...

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
If genies were real and wishes came true, I’d rub the bottle and be holding you,
[/font]

Last edited by Ferretfish at 27-Apr-2005 10:09

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
Doh. I forgot...with all that circulation it might be hard to actually have a sand bed as opposed to a sand storm. Good luck with that...the sand dwelling critters are some of the cutest, I'd hate to see them be put aside.

Im gonna give it a go with the sand bed. Finding sand shouldnt be that hard since I know that Kip has 50 bags in storage Worst case Ill have to take the rock out and start scooping sand. I just dont see the mandarin being happy and staying nice and fat like he is without the sand bed. The Anthias probably wouldnt do too well either. Im sure I can make it work, its just going to take a lot of fine tuning.

Smart DRO. Always gotta keep space for new frags to grow up. This really really really makes me wish that I could drill down into my basement...uggg it just doesn't match up right, and it's too late now. We prolly could have made it work. >.<

Yup, gotta keep the space for frags....I dont know if I will have any frags though unless I start adopting them.

Dumping your plumbing to the basement is very nice to be able to do. It should keep the temp down in the summer to where I dont have to use the chiller (the one that isnt big enough for the new tank ). Im sure you could have made it work, but it would have meant more money. You would have had to upgrade your pump size

Oh well, next tank.

From conversations that we have had I think you will be setting up plenty of tanks a little later down the road that you can plumb to the basement. Someone once told me to take the time you have to plan your dreams/goals so that once you make it there then they will be perfect. Very good advice that I live by everyday.

Niiice. Even shipping to my end of the world? If you can beat Tony's prices you've got my support.

Yes, even shipping to your end of the world. Im sure something can be worked out so that we can even compete with local prices including shipping.

That's true...but it can't crash because it's not UP yet, and that's the point. I know how special that coral was to you...I'm sorry.

You are not that far away from having your tank up and running though. Its taken a little longer than you had originally planned, but its coming together nicely. The coral is/was special to me...I was really worried that I had lost it forever, but it looks like it will be fine now.

That's smart. In a system that big, that's prolly how I'd do it too. Unfortunately I have to keep my family interested in this "project." So the corals will be mine, the fish will be for their pleasure mainly. (After they have my approval of course!) And Princess Anthias?

That sounds like a fair trade off though....you get the corals and they get the fish. If you dont like the fish you can always make up some reason why it wouldnt work in your tank. and yes, Princess Anthias. I think they will look nice in their new mountain home. maybe I can get a couple of them to pair off so I can have a mountain wedding for them!

Fair enough...just promise me you'll keep the idea in the back of your head, okay?

I will. Ill probably start to plan it out just so I know how I am going to do it. I just dont want to start it for awhile. I could probably do it by myself, but what fun would that be?

You really want to have all the frags in the main display? I'd move them somewhere else...maybe some sort of shallow tank with a power head or two, on each side, and egg crate racks or something w/ a MH pendant and a 10K bulb. That is...if you want to sell them and use them for frag swaps and whatnot. If you just want to keep them for yourself for the most part, I'd just leave them in the main display. After all, it is fun to track growth. Just my opinions...

If I do an in-tank rack, it would be mainly for frags of corals that are already sold/have a waiting list for them. They would only be in the frag rack long enough to encrust and for me to make sure they took being fragged Ok. After they are encrusted they would be sold to the people they were originally fragged for.

Chances are I wont frag too many things, with the exception of the rare ones that I can make some decent money off of. I will however make trips on occasion to L.A. to visit the wholesalers and do some cherry picking and bring back those corals to either sell, or use as parent stock for frags. If I end up doing that then I will have frag tanks set up just for that reason.

Really? You're good. I'm almost positive we spent that much, if not a tiny bit more plumbing my tank, and that's only a 100 gallon system! But then again, we had to by wood too, and plywood can get expensive after awhile. There were a lot of supplies necessary for doing the stand modifications and the skirt. Plus we had to get lexan (sp?) for the sump divider. Good luck sticking with that budget.

I have a friend in the reef club that works at HD and will buy all the stuff for me at his cost The most expensive thing will be the ball valves. Other than that it shouldnt be too expensive.......but that all depends on how many times I mess up. Im gonna have "Captain Ball Valve" (Del) come and help me plumb it so it will go faster.

Hmm...a smart aquarist once told me, "Dont worry, it wont be that bad. It'll get done, you wait and see."

I have no doubt it will get done...its just a matter of keeping the fun level up while doing it.

Dare I ask...what did you lose...?

You really wanna know?

My huge Blastomussa colony, medium sized Blue milli colony, dinner plate sized orange monti cap, green with blue/lilac rim monti cap the size of a small plate, 3 fungia plate corals, 3 unidentified Acropora sp., blue/purple horrida, small pink pocilliapora, 3 maxima clams (one being a $189 black and white maxima), black serpant star, and a lot of frags of misc. Acropora.

I think thats it.....and the bably blue coral was fragged aggressively to stop RTN.

I guess nobody else will talk salty with you? The poor chat room...it's been deprived of marine words. I'm surprised you didn't enjoy not having some ignorant girl bouncing around asking questions all the time...

Nope, salty chat was on a huge decline without you around. Its nice to be able to chat with someone about it in real time...and NO, I actually missed the question asking. The question asking is what keeps me researching and continuing to learn.

Now a project for you......make me a stocking list based on the tank and knowing it will be 100% SPS and clams.

[hr width='40%']
I lay here in my bed and dream of you
Hoping you are dreaming of me too...
Someday the miles will be less and we will dream together
Your heart and mine Always and Forever...
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
Im gonna give it a go with the sand bed. Finding sand shouldnt be that hard since I know that Kip has 50 bags in storage Worst case Ill have to take the rock out and start scooping sand. I just dont see the mandarin being happy and staying nice and fat like he is without the sand bed. The Anthias probably wouldnt do too well either. Im sure I can make it work, its just going to take a lot of fine tuning.

Of course. That's what this hobby is all about! If I know you, you'll figure out a way to make it work. Plus with Kip by your side, how could it not work?!? You two make an awesome team.

Yup, gotta keep the space for frags....I dont know if I will have any frags though unless I start adopting them.
Dumping your plumbing to the basement is very nice to be able to do. It should keep the temp down in the summer to where I dont have to use the chiller (the one that isnt big enough for the new tank ). Im sure you could have made it work, but it would have meant more money. You would have had to upgrade your pump size.

Big whoop...it would have been worth it in the long run. It would have gotten me a LOT more room to work with...before I go to bed I think about the set up I "could" have had...

From conversations that we have had I think you will be setting up plenty of tanks a little later down the road that you can plumb to the basement. Someone once told me to take the time you have to plan your dreams/goals so that once you make it there then they will be perfect. Very good advice that I live by everyday.

Yes indeed...that would be the plan. One day at least.

And hey...I'll remember that.

Yes, even shipping to your end of the world. Im sure something can be worked out so that we can even compete with local prices including shipping.

Sweet. I guess I don't live THAT far...okay maybe I do.

You are not that far away from having your tank up and running though. Its taken a little longer than you had originally planned, but its coming together nicely. The coral is/was special to me...I was really worried that I had lost it forever, but it looks like it will be fine now.

It's getting there...it really is. I like to think of it as the ocean didn't develop over night...so why should my tank? We know that patience is the key in this hobby...and only bad things happen quickly in reef tanks. So I'm not really worried.

I dont think it's lost forever. It may not have the same glow as it used to, but it's recovering, right? I hope that coral sticks around for many years...it's by far my favorite one.

That sounds like a fair trade off though....you get the corals and they get the fish. If you dont like the fish you can always make up some reason why it wouldnt work in your tank. and yes, Princess Anthias. I think they will look nice in their new mountain home. maybe I can get a couple of them to pair off so I can have a mountain wedding for them!

Yeah, it is a fair trade off. Gotta keep the family involved in order to keep the hobby alive. In my case anyway.

I think that the Princess Anthias will settle in quite nicely. I call dibs on the first batch of fry.

I will. Ill probably start to plan it out just so I know how I am going to do it. I just dont want to start it for awhile. I could probably do it by myself, but what fun would that be?

Well I guess. >.< I'm really thinking of attempting the same thing on my tank...but I dont think it's big enough, and I don't think I have the right space for it. Not to mention the cash involved. I think I should really concentrate on getting the reef up right now.

If I do an in-tank rack, it would be mainly for frags of corals that are already sold/have a waiting list for them. They would only be in the frag rack long enough to encrust and for me to make sure they took being fragged Ok. After they are encrusted they would be sold to the people they were originally fragged for.

Ugg, dont do an in tank rack, that wont look natural at all. IMO you're better off having another shallower tank in the basement for frags, on the same system even. (If that's possibly...it's quite likely that I'm making this up completely )

Chances are I wont frag too many things, with the exception of the rare ones that I can make some decent money off of. I will however make trips on occasion to L.A. to visit the wholesalers and do some cherry picking and bring back those corals to either sell, or use as parent stock for frags. If I end up doing that then I will have frag tanks set up just for that reason.

Ah. That makes sense. I thought you said you were going to L.A. with Kip in a couple weeks...? All the more reason for another tank, or two.

I have a friend in the reef club that works at HD and will buy all the stuff for me at his cost. The most expensive thing will be the ball valves. Other than that it shouldnt be too expensive.......but that all depends on how many times I mess up. Im gonna have "Captain Ball Valve" (Del) come and help me plumb it so it will go faster.

Ah, well in that case maybe you can spend about $300. Even though HD toys are usually pretty cheap, I can imagine how much you can save by getting them at cost. Ball valves do get pricey after awhile...I've got close to 10 on my system and it's only 100 gallons...I can't even imagine how many you're going to need. Del may be Captain Ball Valve...but I'm Princess Ball Valve in that case. I've grown quite attatched to using them...everywhere.

I have no doubt it will get done...its just a matter of keeping the fun level up while doing it.

Meh...even tank plumbing can get boring sometimes. I bet it wont be too bad if you've got some of your reef club buddies over...I know at least that's what works for me. I like to put on my favorite music when I'm working on the tank as well, helps keep things interesting.

You really wanna know?

No...but I asked. >.<

My huge Blastomussa colony, medium sized Blue milli colony, dinner plate sized orange monti cap, green with blue/lilac rim monti cap the size of a small plate, 3 fungia plate corals, 3 unidentified Acropora sp., blue/purple horrida, small pink pocilliapora, 3 maxima clams (one being a $189 black and white maxima), black serpant star, and a lot of frags of misc. Acropora.

Yipes. :#( You lost A. horrida? Do you have any more...? That was another one of my favorites...I like the milli's too. And the clams...Mom is really into clams lately.

I think thats it.....and the baby blue coral was fragged aggressively to stop RTN.

Well...unfortunately I already knew that. Dont worry...I'm sure some of the pieces will pull together and come through. *fingers crossed*

Nope, salty chat was on a huge decline without you around. Its nice to be able to chat with someone about it in real time...and NO, I actually missed the question asking. The question asking is what keeps me researching and continuing to learn.

I guess I ask a lot of questions that keep you on your toes. You gotta keep in shape to keep up with me, or else I'm going to learn more than you. Haha, well I doubt that'll happen for awhile. It's funny how a lot of times people compliment me on my knowledge, but I still feel like I know next to nothing. I barely have the basics mastered. *shrug* I think once my tank is filled, and has 'stuff' in it, it'll help with that feeling a little bit. I really think people say it not because I honestly know that much, but because it's an uncommon hobby for my age, and gender. The hobby is obviously male dominated. And how many kids my age do you know with reef tanks...? Not many I'll bet.

Now a project for you......make me a stocking list based on the tank and knowing it will be 100% SPS and clams.

You trust me with that? Well...I think I can help you out a little. This actually works well, because the other day I was reading a new book, and I wrote down some things that really popped out at me that I needed to post about. So I'll type them here, and you can help me with them a little bit. Then we'll see which ones will work in my tank, and which will work in yours. Fair? I think so.

Here's the list...I haven't done any research on any of these things, they just popped out at me for whatever reason so I wrote them down. Some are kind of basic...but, yeah well you get the point. And not all of them are SPS or clams either. Okay I'll just get going here...

"The List"

Corals:
Pocillopora damicornis
Montipora spp.
Acropora formosa
Polyphyllia talpina
Catalaphyllia jardinei
Tubastrea spp.

Clams:
Tridacna maxima
Tridacna crocea

Feather Dusters/Tube Worms:
Sabellastarte spectabilis
Megalomma sp.
Bispira brunnea
Bispira tricyclia

Sea Stars:
Fromia indica
Linckia multifora
Ophiolepis superba

Others:
Clavelina robusta
Opistognathus aurifrons
Phymanthus sp.

That's all for now. I've got double gymnastics practice today so I'm kinda busy. When have more time I'll write some things that I'd like to see in your tank...but I know that A. horrida will def. be on the list again.

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
[/font]

Last edited by Ferretfish at 28-Apr-2005 11:08

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
Of course. That's what this hobby is all about! If I know you, you'll figure out a way to make it work. Plus with Kip by your side, how could it not work?!? You two make an awesome team.

Kip is a great guy, as is Del...Im sure that we can figure out a way to make it work. Im almost positive about it because Del has a 6 inch sand bed in his 270 and after adjusting and readjusting its fine.

Big whoop...it would have been worth it in the long run. It would have gotten me a LOT more room to work with...

It would have been worth it in the long run...but you also have to remember that it is your first tank and that you will have many other chances to change things on tanks you set up in the future.

before I go to bed I think about the set up I "could" have had...

I do that too...IMO its not an uncommon thing to do when you love something so much. Making mental plans is a good thing....even if you can't have them right now.

Sweet. I guess I don't live THAT far...okay maybe I do.

With a business FedEx account you would be suprised at how cheap shipping is. Plus if it meant that you might bring us more business by using products not available there Im sure we could work a price break. Even if I have to say the product is for use on my tank

It's getting there...it really is. I like to think of it as the ocean didn't develop over night...so why should my tank? We know that patience is the key in this hobby...and only bad things happen quickly in reef tanks. So I'm not really worried.

I dont think it's lost forever. It may not have the same glow as it used to, but it's recovering, right? I hope that coral sticks around for many years...it's by far my favorite one.

It is coming together nicely. Sure its taking longer than planned, but the design has also came along way from what was originally planned. I cant wait to see it stocked.

It appears to be doing ok now. Like I said, it had me kinda scared at one time. You are correct, it doesnt have the same glow it use to have....I guess Im mostly bummed because of the way it was growing...hopefully in time it will continue/start to grow that way again.

Well I guess. >.< I'm really thinking of attempting the same thing on my tank...but I dont think it's big enough, and I don't think I have the right space for it. Not to mention the cash involved. I think I should really concentrate on getting the reef up right now.

Thats what I would do......concentrate on getting the reef up and running and looking the way you want it. You can always do the pony tank later. Maybe we could do it together later down the road and compare notes.

Ugg, dont do an in tank rack, that wont look natural at all. IMO you're better off having another shallower tank in the basement for frags, on the same system even. (If that's possibly...it's quite likely that I'm making this up completely )

If I do the in tank rack it will be part of a Calfo style surface skimming overflow...He talks about it in his coral prop book and has a diagram.....so it wouldnt be that ugly Ill probably just end up doing a couple seperate tanks though. Yes, it is possible, and likely that all the tanks will be connected to each other in some way.

Ah. That makes sense. I thought you said you were going to L.A. with Kip in a couple weeks...? All the more reason for another tank, or two.

We were planning to head to L.A. when he gets his tanks in his new office set up....man Im not looking forward to plumbing two 500g (main display not including sump and fuges) tanks after doing mine

Ah, well in that case maybe you can spend about $300. Even though HD toys are usually pretty cheap, I can imagine how much you can save by getting them at cost. Ball valves do get pricey after awhile...I've got close to 10 on my system and it's only 100 gallons...I can't even imagine how many you're going to need. Del may be Captain Ball Valve...but I'm Princess Ball Valve in that case. I've grown quite attatched to using them...everywhere.

I counted Dels when I was at his house last weekend.....I counted 48 ball valves I have a feeling that my tank will have more than his does. You can be Princess Ball Valve if you wish

Meh...even tank plumbing can get boring sometimes. I bet it wont be too bad if you've got some of your reef club buddies over...I know at least that's what works for me. I like to put on my favorite music when I'm working on the tank as well, helps keep things interesting.

Thats a good idea...might have to listen to some music off of my "special" playlist on the computer.

Yipes. You lost A. horrida? Do you have any more...? That was another one of my favorites...I like the milli's too. And the clams...Mom is really into clams lately.

Yup, lost the horrida....The guy that works at HD has a huge colony of it though. Im sure I can get another frag from him. He owes me big time anyway since I gave him a frag of the Superman monti and the special blue coral.

I guess I ask a lot of questions that keep you on your toes. You gotta keep in shape to keep up with me, or else I'm going to learn more than you.

Please, keep the questions coming....anything that has to do with a SPS dominated tank I am more than happy to answer And yes I do have to keep in shape to keep up with you...I always look forward to reading your posts because they make me research and remember things.

You trust me with that?

Yup, I completely trust you with that...you have the knowledge and know what I like.

I look forward to seeing the list.

[hr width='40%']

Last edited by DarkRealm Overlord at 28-Apr-2005 23:44
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
Kip is a great guy, as is Del...Im sure that we can figure out a way to make it work. Im almost positive about it because Del has a 6 inch sand bed in his 270 and after adjusting and readjusting its fine.

Proof! Anything is possible. I know it'll work in your tank.

It would have been worth it in the long run...but you also have to remember that it is your first tank and that you will have many other chances to change things on tanks you set up in the future.

That's so true...but it's hard to remember sometimes.

I do that too...IMO its not an uncommon thing to do when you love something so much. Making mental plans is a good thing....even if you can't have them right now.

It better be a good thing, or else I'm screwed. I've got many many plans up in my head...

With a business FedEx account you would be suprised at how cheap shipping is. Plus if it meant that you might bring us more business by using products not available there Im sure we could work a price break. Even if I have to say the product is for use on my tank

Hehe. We'll see how things go. You guys will be my heroes if you can beat MD's price on Salifert tests...hint hint!!

It is coming together nicely. Sure its taking longer than planned, but the design has also came along way from what was originally planned. I cant wait to see it stocked.

That's true. I wasn't planning on having it this complicated. Compared to the original plan, it's a completely different tank. I hope it works!

It appears to be doing ok now. Like I said, it had me kinda scared at one time. You are correct, it doesnt have the same glow it use to have....I guess Im mostly bummed because of the way it was growing...hopefully in time it will continue/start to grow that way again.

*nods* Well, only time will tell. I'm afraid that you may have to wait a couple of years to get it back the way you want it. Sadly, I think thats the way it has to be. It's a difficult situation...

Thats what I would do......concentrate on getting the reef up and running and looking the way you want it. You can always do the pony tank later. Maybe we could do it together later down the road and compare notes.

Nate, you'd sooo have the advantage!!! With the business you'll be able to get anything you need! I dont even know if I can figure out a way to put a pony tank on the same system. Doesn't matter right now though, because both of us have empty tanks ATM. Lets work on those first.

If I do the in tank rack it will be part of a Calfo style surface skimming overflow...He talks about it in his coral prop book and has a diagram.....so it wouldnt be that ugly Ill probably just end up doing a couple seperate tanks though. Yes, it is possible, and likely that all the tanks will be connected to each other in some way.

Ah, I'll have to look for that. What page is it on? And I love it when my ideas work out.

We were planning to head to L.A. when he gets his tanks in his new office set up....man Im not looking forward to plumbing two 500g (main display not including sump and fuges) tanks after doing mine

Haha...I remember you telling me about that. Have fun with that project! *evil laugh* Nahh...I'm sure it wont be that bad. This is your hobby, you should be enjoying it. New tanks provide lots of room to learn new tricks and strategies, and can provide lots of ideas for future tanks and projects. It almost forces you to be creative. I think it'll benefit you in the long run.

I counted Dels when I was at his house last weekend.....I counted 48 ball valves I have a feeling that my tank will have more than his does. You can be Princess Ball Valve if you wish

48?!?! Geez...that's sickening. ! Okay, so I dont have that many, but my system is also a lot smaller. I only have one OM unit. One day I'll beat him. Maybe. Until then, Princess Ball Valve it is.

Thats a good idea...might have to listen to some music off of my "special" playlist on the computer.

I think that'll work quite nicely DRO.

Yup, lost the horrida....The guy that works at HD has a huge colony of it though. Im sure I can get another frag from him. He owes me big time anyway since I gave him a frag of the Superman monti and the special blue coral.

Hah, if you gave him a Superman frag he DEF. owes you another horrida frag, without a doubt. I never did get to see pictures of the Superman once it colored up...

Please, keep the questions coming....anything that has to do with a SPS dominated tank I am more than happy to answer And yes I do have to keep in shape to keep up with you...I always look forward to reading your posts because they make me research and remember things.

Well I'm glad someone keeps you on your toes. Wouldn't want to get lazy now would we. I'm sure I'm going to be filled with questions as the filling of the tank nears.

Yup, I completely trust you with that...you have the knowledge and know what I like.
I look forward to seeing the list.

*nods* Well did you look at anything that I posted above? Like I said, those aren't necessarily for your tank, they could be for mine as well. I just wanted your opinion, as they were things that stuck out to me when I was reading.

I'll start working on a list...it might take awhile, but I have some things in mind. I'm afraid our tanks might turn out looking near identical...because anything that I like I'm going to want to suggest to you, and then turn around and put in my tank as well. Oh well.

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
[/font]

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
It better be a good thing, or else I'm screwed. I've got many many plans up in my head...

Me too, I just need to keep plugging along and hope I get to use some of the plans. Im sure I will since the plan is to have tanks all over the house

Hehe. We'll see how things go. You guys will be my heroes if you can beat MD's price on Salifert tests...hint hint!!

We are going to have a meeting on stocking Salifert test kits.....we still havent decided for sure. If not, I know I can beat MD's price on them anyway..I know a guy that sells them to me at cost

That's true. I wasn't planning on having it this complicated. Compared to the original plan, it's a completely different tank. I hope it works!

It will work.....and it will work better than the original plan. I wouldnt worry about it.

*nods* Well, only time will tell. I'm afraid that you may have to wait a couple of years to get it back the way you want it. Sadly, I think thats the way it has to be. It's a difficult situation...

Thats fine....it might take a few years, but it will be worth it Im just hoping for the best....I would be devistated if it decided to take a turn and end up not making it. Atleast I still have it.

Nate, you'd sooo have the advantage!!! With the business you'll be able to get anything you need! I dont even know if I can figure out a way to put a pony tank on the same system. Doesn't matter right now though, because both of us have empty tanks ATM. Lets work on those first.

It is a nice benefit....getting things at cost is the best Oh, and you have an empty tank....I dont even have the tank yet I figure I should be almost happy with the new tank in a couple years time....then it will be time to move onto other tank projects.

Ah, I'll have to look for that. What page is it on? And I love it when my ideas work out.

The diagram is on page 42 You can put even more of your ideas to use in a couple years when you set up more tanks.

Haha...I remember you telling me about that. Have fun with that project! *evil laugh* Nahh...I'm sure it wont be that bad. This is your hobby, you should be enjoying it. New tanks provide lots of room to learn new tricks and strategies, and can provide lots of ideas for future tanks and projects. It almost forces you to be creative. I think it'll benefit you in the long run.

It wont be too bad other than the fact that both tanks will be plumbed to the basement of his new office. Its gonna be a lot of going up and down stairs. It will def. be interesting though and Im sure I will come up with some idea's that I wish I would have used on my tank

48?!?! Geez...that's sickening. ! Okay, so I dont have that many, but my system is also a lot smaller. I only have one OM unit. One day I'll beat him. Maybe. Until then, Princess Ball Valve it is

Dels tank is bigger, but he is only using one OM 4-way......thats ok, you can still be Princess Ball Valve

I think that'll work quite nicely DRO

I burned the playlist onto a CD Now I can crank it up at the new house during the tank move today

Hah, if you gave him a Superman frag he DEF. owes you another horrida frag, without a doubt. I never did get to see pictures of the Superman once it colored up...

It was just starting to color up when the tank crashed It completely bleached out and was bone white. It has its red polyps back now and is starting to turn blue on the base again....hopefully it wont be long and I can take a pic of it for you.

Well I'm glad someone keeps you on your toes. Wouldn't want to get lazy now would we. I'm sure I'm going to be filled with questions as the filling of the tank nears.

bah, you'll ask your reef club for answers I wont ever be lazy

*nods* Well did you look at anything that I posted above? Like I said, those aren't necessarily for your tank, they could be for mine as well. I just wanted your opinion, as they were things that stuck out to me when I was reading.

Yup, I had a look.....I already have all the SPS that you listed As for the others, let me do some research on them and Ill post back

I'll start working on a list...it might take awhile, but I have some things in mind. I'm afraid our tanks might turn out looking near identical...because anything that I like I'm going to want to suggest to you, and then turn around and put in my tank as well. Oh well.

Even if the tanks end up having the same things in them they will be completely different....especially with the SPS. Even if we had frags from the same mother colony, chances are growth form and coloration would be different.

Plus Ill be able to have more fish than you

[hr width='40%']

terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
Here's the starting list...

CLAMS
T. crocea
T. maxima
T. deresa
T. gigas
T. squamosa

SPS
Pocillopora damicornis
Pocillopora verrucosa
Seriatopora hystrix
Seriatopora caliendrum
Stylophora pistillata
Montipora digitata
Montipora capricornis
Rainbow monti!!!
Millepora "Fire Coral"

And to start the Acros...
A. horrida
A. gemmifera
A. formosa
A. elseyi
A. yongei
A. tenuis
A. gomezi
L. spp (acro )

This was just a quick list I wrote in bed last night before I fell asleep. Expect many more additions over the next couple of weeks.

EDIT: To add more...

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
[/font]

Last edited by Ferretfish at 08-May-2005 19:18

Last edited by Ferretfish at 09-May-2005 15:16

terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
Its just strange because the bedroom has 3 closets. Nothing strange about the tank fitting in the closet *thinks about waking up to the halides coming on*

yeah, that is kind of strange Why 3 closets? His, hers, tank? You could fall asleep to moonlights, and wake up to T5's or actinics, and then halides...you wouldn't want the halides on first would you?

Im working on the dream little by little. And there is NO WAY im giving up on the rest of the dream. *holds chin up high*

That's what I like to hear.

Still closer to being done than mine is!

Yeah I guess, but once yours actually arrives it'll be set up much quicker than mine. Your whole set up will take like a week, whereas I dont want to even go into how long mine's taking.

Getting out of the old house will do me good...not only will it relax me, but I can start to get the house ready for future plans.

I thought it would. Too many bad memories in the other house. *remembers how close the tank came to being torn down* New house should be fun to work with. You can have it set up exactly how you want.

Nope, its not the last tank I plan on setting up....there are many tanks planned, and yes I have a LOT of plans for future dreams!

Sounds like the perfect plan to me! I guess MTS has kicked in huh? I think Steph putting a limit to one tank made you want even more. Nothing wrong with that of course. It'll be a little bit more work and a little bit more money, but also a little bit more rewarding.

You shouldnt have problems with temp considering you have central air....the most you might have to do is install a clip on fan to your sump/fuge to increase evap.

Thats what I'm hoping. The skirt allows us to put in more of those little computer fans (I feel like Dad calls them mushroom fans?) in if we need them. And if worst comes to worst I'll just get a small chiller.

The calcium reactor and Kalkreactor can come later....when you are ready let me know cause I have great plans from Del for a Kalkreactor

Sweet. I'll probably be ready sometime later in the summer if I had to guess. It's gotta be after camp/vacation by the time I start doing sps.

Ill try to snap a pic of it tonight after I get the lights hung...It has red polyps atleast

Score. Lookin' forward to it, it'll only color up more as time passes. It'd be a cool thing to document.

I will...im sure there will be some rough times, but im confident it will pull through and everything will be fine.

That's exactly what I mean. Dont forget that.

It better not give up! Might as well rip out my heart if it does. I dont know what it is about that coral, but its def. my favorite out of all of them.

It's my favorite too. Even if we lose this one, there's other frags of it, right? One of them is guaranteed to pull through.

I woke up last night and ran downstairs because I couldnt hear the overflows.....only to find an empty spot in the living room with a light hanging above it This house is even more depressing now.

Awww. And that is why you should move the computer to the new house and start a new life there. Forget about everything that's happend in the old house. Start over. It'll be better for you.

Me too...I still need to go over and check on things and hang the lights...Im just a little preoccupied right now

Keep your head out of the clouds and in reality Nate. Stop daydreaming. *laughs* It'll get done. Things must be really stressful right now. I cant even imagine.

*fingers still crossed*

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
[/font]

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
Wait. Uhhh. Nate? I'm missing the strange part. That, uhh...seems like a perfect plan to me, idk what's weird about that. *shrug*

Its just strange because the bedroom has 3 closets. Nothing strange about the tank fitting in the closet *thinks about waking up to the halides coming on*

Better to have part than to have none. And you haven't given up on the rest of your dream have you? Keep working on it...you know what I say...Keep your chin up.

Im working on the dream little by little. And there is NO WAY im giving up on the rest of the dream. *holds chin up high*

Okay...so mine's sitting here all empty and dusty...where's the difference? okay so mine has some pvc pipe on it...and several ball valves Big deal

Still closer to being done than mine is!

Not saying you are...you're a workaholic, I know that. But this will prevent you from getting lazy. Something tells me that getting out of the old house may actually let you feel comfortable enough to relax for a little bit. Nothing wrong with that. And Nate, is this the last tank you plan to set up? Sounds to me like you're going to have many ideas for future dreams.

Getting out of the old house will do me good...not only will it relax me, but I can start to get the house ready for future plans.

Nope, its not the last tank I plan on setting up....there are many tanks planned, and yes I have a LOT of plans for future dreams!

Well that explains it. Hearing that makes me shutter...I haven't even thought about kalk or calc (well I've thought, but haven't done anything about it, other than pay the extra 5 bucks to get some sort of special thing on my skimmer to have a calc reactor...yeah idk)...and I'm hoping I can get away with no chiller since the room has cold tile floors and central air...*fingers crossed* Why does this hobby have to be so darn expensive. I should get like...youth discounts or something.

You shouldnt have problems with temp considering you have central air....the most you might have to do is install a clip on fan to your sump/fuge to increase evap.

The calcium reactor and Kalkreactor can come later....when you are ready let me know cause I have great plans from Del for a Kalkreactor

*does a happy dance*

Ill try to snap a pic of it tonight after I get the lights hung...It has red polyps atleast

Good. Please...remember to stay confident no matter what happens...okay?

I will...im sure there will be some rough times, but im confident it will pull through and everything will be fine.

It wont give up...it's a tough coral. And a special one to boot. Make sure the circulation stays okay and monitor the levels like crazy...and I'm sure it'll make it. It better make it...

It better not give up! Might as well rip out my heart if it does. I dont know what it is about that coral, but its def. my favorite out of all of them.

I dont doubt it! Whenever I sleep somewhere out of my house and there's no fish tank in their room it freaks me out. I like listening to everything running as I'm falling asleep, it's the best time to tell if somethings not working quite the way it should be. I expect to fall asleep in the den watching my tank many late nights after it's set up. And I can't wait. Everyone is starting to call this room the fish room now.

I woke up last night and ran downstairs because I couldnt hear the overflows.....only to find an empty spot in the living room with a light hanging above it This house is even more depressing now.

Hope everyone pulls through okay.

Me too...I still need to go over and check on things and hang the lights...Im just a little preoccupied right now

[hr width='40%']

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
The 180 pulled through......I did lose some stuff, but for the most part its fine.

[hr width='40%']
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies