SubscribeTetra Tank
Zix Stix
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 7
Votes: 4
male canada
Hi everyone,

I am new to this website, but sof ar its really good.

OK. I have a 20 gallon tank in my livingroom. It use to have a whole bunch of Harlequin Rasboras in it, but algae just overuled. I put all ym fish in ym 33 gallon upstairs and restarted my 20 gallon. I was thinking about putting tons of plants in it, such as layering them, and like 10-15 neon tetras, and 1 Beta (Fighting Fish).

I was just wondering if anyone else had any ideas for me or tips.

Thanks everyone.

Cheers,

~Zix Stix~
Post InfoPosted 27-Sep-2007 02:46Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
The Betta would love a tank that size. I would consider 20+ Cardinal Tetras, 2-4 Khuli Loaches, at least 4 Ottos and a small CAE then transfer him to a larger tank when he gets bigger.
With the Ottos the tank MUST be established first with a little algae on the DW and plants.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 27-Sep-2007 04:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ImRandy85
---------------
Enthusiast
Bleeding Blue
Kudos: 137
Votes: 75
male usa
Does the tank in your living room get a lot of direct light? That could be part of the algae problem. Heavily planting the tank would help a little with the algae as well. How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Post InfoPosted 27-Sep-2007 06:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Zix Stix
-----
Fingerling
male canada
EditedEdited by zix stix
I do water changes once every 2 weeks on the sunday and no it doesnt get very mmuch direct sunlight. I take out about 3 gallons of water and then fill it up again.

Thank you.

EDIT: Oh yean, umm will my beta be fine with my shrimp because the neons are to fast for the beta, but my shrimp on the other hand are quite slow...

Cheers,

~Zix Stix~
Post InfoPosted 27-Sep-2007 18:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Shrimp are hit or miss with bettas. Some do fine and occasionally some at least pick on if not eat the shrimp. Depends if you want to take the chance or not.

3g is not much of a water change on a 20g and especially for every 2 weeks unless it's a shrimp only tank. You should probably be doing at least 5g and I change mine weekly at that amount. Do you have a nitrate test kit? A buildup of nitrates(and other things but nitrates are the easiest to test for) will lead to algae. You want to test your nitrates frequently until you know how quickly they increase and do enough water changes to keep them preferably down around 20ppm or less but at the maximum 40ppm. Beyond that the health of the fish will suffer. Also make sure you are removing enough of the fish waste. If your gravel is dirty it's food for the algae and if your feeding the tank heavily like most people do there can be quite a backup of fish waste and leftover food sitting around after 2 weeks.
Post InfoPosted 27-Sep-2007 19:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Zix Stix
-----
Fingerling
male canada
ok Sham. I will do a 5 gal change every week.

I never hardly ever over feed my fish, and if i do i take the left over food out after 2 minutes after i put it in.

And yes i have a test kit for ph, nitrate, Kh hardness, Gh, and ammonia.

And my nitrate level is aorund 15 ppm - 20 ppm.

Cheers,

~Zix Stix~
Post InfoPosted 27-Sep-2007 22:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
PappaBear
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 4
Votes: 0
In my opinion cory's are a better choice than khuli's to keep on the bottom. They do a great job keeping the substrate clean, and are not as shy as khuli's!

Good luck!
Post InfoPosted 09-Oct-2007 08:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies