---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Okay, time for an all out official spiders that you've spotted thread. And this time I wont keep losing it.

I spotted this one on my way downstairs to hang the laundry.

I had to go back upstairs for the camera. Although it doesn't show it in the photos, I could swear he is actually silver!

Anyone else have some good spider shots? Or know what this oen is?

Post InfoPosted 16-Nov-2007 06:25Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
Looks like Zosis geniculatus to me.
Post InfoPosted 16-Nov-2007 06:31Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
poisonwaffle

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 591
male usa
Ooo... I've got a bunch of spider pictures somewhere... I'll have to find them o.O

Can I/we post pictures of other cool bugs? I've got a LOT of random bug pictures
Post InfoPosted 16-Nov-2007 08:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cup_of_Lifenoodles
---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 1957
Votes: 30
male usa
My, those are striking. If all spiders look like that in aus, I don't think I'd mind living there much, given that I'm a die hard arachnophobe (actually mostly just those spiders that are often mistakenly called daddy longlegs. I hate those).
Post InfoPosted 16-Nov-2007 11:30Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by Callatya
I wouldn't exactly call these good... The redback was under the flap of a box that I lifted up, I must have looked quite a sight trying to leap out of biting distance (really long fangs, at least 2' long, I swear!)

One of the biggest redbacks I've seen, this sucker was vicious too, she kept striking at me!

And I found this one in my laundry sink, much smaller, only just getting the red spot.

I am really very good to spiders, but I'm sorry to say that redbacks and funnelwebs must die. I have too many pets and a kind-hearted dutchman who has, on numerous occasions, come to tell me about the sweet little black spider on the bench that I should move before the cat finds it, or my favourite "There's a little spider on my clothes rack. It isn't a problem, just watch the cats don't eat it"... as the redback is making a web in his jeans leg!!! *thud* So yeah, poisonous ones get the thong treatment if I find them in places they shouldn't be. I really don't understand why it is hard to pick a redback as dangerous and a huntsman as safe, but apparently it is. Maybe it is the body fluff?

EDIT: almost forgot Siggy! (her bubbas haven't hatched I think they might be cactus)

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 16-Nov-2007 17:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Nice pics calla! I'm not a mean person when it comes to spiders either, but if I ever did see a redback, well I'm not sure I'd be stopping to take pics (and I stop and take pics of everything! Just ask adam!)

poisonwaffle, feel free to post any of your spider pics here, and start a new thread for insects. I'll make one as soon as it's needed.

Dunno if it was coincidence or fate but I swear I got bit by a spider at 2 this morning *looks down at her swollen finger* and it itches like anything! Adam thinks it's a mosquito but I sleep with the blankets up and my hands under so it'd have been a very determined mosquito!

^_^

Post InfoPosted 17-Nov-2007 01:37Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
After suffering from a spider bite for almost a week, I didnt feel comfortable with getting too close to an unknown spider, but spotted this guy by chance at Currumbin Sanctuary

Attached Image:

Post InfoPosted 20-Nov-2007 13:38Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 187
Votes: 110
female australia au-queensland
That last one is a nice photo Babel.
Post InfoPosted 20-Nov-2007 15:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 187
Votes: 110
female australia au-queensland
I took a couple of photos of housemates I don't particularly appreciate. The first is a daddy longlegs. Doesn't bite but it sits up high and I have to clean the waste it drops. Need to use the long vacuum nozzel next time.

This huntsman spider has been hiding amongst my kitchen and hasn't moved itself close enough for me to shoo it out the door yet. Didn't get him all in the shot as I was more worried he might jump on me.

Post InfoPosted 22-Nov-2007 10:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
REDPHANTOM
----------
Enthusiast
Taking life on an angle
Kudos: 46
Votes: 4
male costarica
EditedEdited by REDPHANTOM
Nice post,

Heres my addition. I found this little guy right by my German Shepherd, it was unharmed, so was the spider.

The hairy animal (holding the spider) is me.

Not too sure what type it is, I think its a type of tarantula. Length of body around 2 inches and leg span about 3 inches, largest of this sort Ive seen are probably double this size.

All the best,

James

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 23-Nov-2007 22:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa

*Shudders*

I'm not looking at this thread anymore!
Post InfoPosted 27-Nov-2007 17:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
I have new inmates, and these guys are a bit scary. So far I've counted 3, and inadvertently carried one straight through the house on a plant. They don't look too bad, in that I doubt they'd hurt a human, but geez they give you a fright! One spins right across the far end of the yard, one near the front corner of the house, and this one is now in our entryway... I may have to relocate it again as I'm not sure how well people are going to enjoy being webbed.

Attached Image:

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 27-Dec-2007 15:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
From the top

Any idea what he/she/it is? It isn't one that I recognise. Spins a fairly stereotypical web, sits in the middle, wraps food up so it looks like giant Tic Tacs and doesn't really group its legs in any noticable way. It rolls up into a ball if you happen to knock it onto the ground. The joints seem hairless and the rest is very fuzzy indeed.

Attached Image:

Post InfoPosted 27-Dec-2007 15:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
Probably Eriophora transmarina, which is one of the commoner species. It is hugely variable in coloration, though, which is why you didn't recognize it.
Post InfoPosted 27-Dec-2007 16:31Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
could well be, it has that orb weaver shape t it. Not sure on the web though, so far they haven't been "orby"

Post InfoPosted 27-Dec-2007 17:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
The only spiders i like are the crab spiders. Those things are wicked cool, and i love the sharp spines on their backs.....Everbody, however, has probably seen one of those though......THey are quite common here, and probably everywhere else.

Other than that, i steer clear of any insect that just randomly and quickly makes sudden movements......I am one who gets surprised very easily.....

Nice Pix everyone!!!

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 27-Dec-2007 18:30Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
AquaClear_Fan
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 25
Votes: 6
A good spider is a dead spider.

17 years experience with freshwater.
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2008 04:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
EditedEdited by Calilasseia
The large spider with the black and yellow stripes featured in Babelfish's photo above is probably one of the members of the Family Nephilidae, and may even be one of the large orb-weavers of the Genus Nephila. However, which of teh various Nephila species it is depends upon [1] which part of Australia you are in (for example, Nephila adelaidensis is, as its name suggests, restricted to South Australia) and [2] if any species from other parts of the world are known to have been introduced to Australia. The huge American species Nephila clavipes, for example, resembles the spider in the photo fairly closely, but is a native of the wrong continent unless someone has introduced N. clavipes into Australia. More likely candidates include N. antipodana, N. edulis, N. pilipes (with (N. pilipes piscatorum being a native of Queensland), and N. plumipes (this latter species has a ridiculous number of junior taxonomic synonyms, and the Wikipedia page wrongly redirects to the page for N. clavipes - go here]http://www.nephilidae.com/[/link] to find out about the Family Nephilidae, and [link=here for a list of taxa that are certified scientifically valid along with synonyms).

Note that as well as N. adelaidensis, the species N. meridionalis is restricted to South Australia (both the type species N. m. meridionalis and the subspecies N. m. hermitis).

One unusual feature of Nephila species is the VAST difference in size between male and female. All the large specimens that you see in webs are female: the males are almost microscopic in comparison. A large female N. clavipes can be up to 150mm across, while the male is frequently only 5mm across!

The spider being exhibited in the photo by RedPhantom is, if it's a Costa Rican species, almost CERTAINLY one of the Theraphosidae (the Family to which the large spiders frequently known as "Bird Eating Spiders" belong), and at the size illustrated, is a juvenile. If the maximum reported leg span is around 6 inches, then this places it in Genera such as Brachypelma, Sericopelma or any of a dozen others - the Family as a whole contains over 750 species, with something like 400 of them being Central and South American. Among the species I have listed as native to Costa Rica specifically are:

Psalmopoeus reduncas - Costa Rican Orange Buccal Tree Spider
Aphonopelma burica - Costa Rican Chestnut Zebra
Aphonopelma seemani - Costa Rican Zebra
Brachypelma albopilosa - Honduras Curly Hair
Brachypelma angusta - Costa Rican Red
Brachypelma fossoria - Filadelfia Rusty Brown
Brachypelma mesomelas - Costa Rican Red Leg
Citharacanthus crinirufus - Costa Rican Blue Front
Citharacanthus sclerothrix - Costa Rican Wall Tarantula
Eurypelma mesomelas - no common name
Pterinopelma xanthochroma - Monte Verde Yellow
Acanthopelma rufescens - Guatemalan Purple Chevron
Cyclosternum fasciatum - Tiger Rump Doppelganger
Cyclosternum stylipus - San Vito Coffee-Red
Cyclosternum viridimontis - Costa Rican Pygmy Red Foot
Hapalopus pentaloris - Costa Rican Orange Banded
Ischnocolus shoemakeri - no common name
Metriopelma colorata - Costa Rican Panther Abdomen
Metriopelma drymusetes - Costa Rican Tiger Abdomen
Metriopelma morosus - Costa Rican Tawny Abdomen
Metriopelma zebrata - Costa Rican Sun Tiger Abdomen
Schizopelma bicarinatum - Guerrero Rufous Red
Stichoplastus asterix - Limon Reddish-Chestnut
Stichoplastus denticulatum - Monteverde Reddish-Chestnut
Stichoplastinus elusinus - San Jose Chestnut
Stichoplastus obelix - Asterix's Chestnut Tarantula
Sericopelma dota - Costa Rican Black And White
Sericopelma ferruginea - Costa Rican Red And Yellow
Sericopelma generala - Costa Rican Coffee And Red
Sericopelma immensa - Costa Rican Red And Black
Sericopelma melanotarsa - Costa Rican Fulvo-Coffee Tarantula
Sericopelma silvicola - Costa Rican Light Coffee And Red Tarantula

So take your pick from that lot - and that's just the species whose type specimens are mostly from Costa Rica. I suspect that there's a few others to add to that list too if I had access to decent distribution maps, but my database of Theraphosid spiders is only partly complete.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2008 07:19Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california

Heh... Of course when I get a new camera and actually want to see some spiders, they are nowhere to be found. They insist on being abundant only when I don't need them to be.

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2008 07:51Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
Here's a couple I saw while in the everglades. I know the first is a crab-like orbweaver, the second I have no clue .

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2008 22:40Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies