Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe3D Rock backgrounds
cappa
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 14
Votes: 1
male australia
I'm getting a new 6 foot tank early next year so I'm starting to plan the setup. I want to make one of these rock backgrounds out of polystyrene. I've made one before and painted it but it doesnt look much like rocks. Can anyone suggest a paint and/or painting technique?
And should I use the background to conceal my filter end heating equipmetn (i.e. have a hole in the background with the filter intake behind/inside the polystyrene?
Thanks
Julian
Post InfoPosted 10-Dec-2007 22:23Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
The big thing is you're going to need to use some different colors, I'd say three, and let it have time to age. Let it get some algae on it.

Two colors at least, one for highlight one for shadow. Three might be better, all similar. Do a google search on aquarium rock backgrounds, look to see what others have done for ideas and inspiration. Also, use some plants to help break up the background. Use some real rocks that match your background for the foreground of the tank.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 11-Dec-2007 00:20Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Ironhand74
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 69
Votes: 295
male usa
EditedEdited by Ironhand74
By the sounds of it,you already have a technique for constructing/forming the polystyrene to the desired form/shape. As far as paints, my best suggestion would be a nontoxic latex-enamel base with several layers of clear-coat epoxy, or maybe even a marine grade gel coat (which is quite pricey) to protect the paint from chipping off and leaching out toxins , research carefully!!!
Painting techniques.... air brush would probably give you the best detail for the effects of shadow,like Bablefish mentioned, giving the background depth.
Concealing the equipment, think thats gonna depend on how deep (back to front)and the general "shape" of the background will be as to where and how things will work best.
If all else, I did run across this site while searching for some info for ya; http://www.aquaterra-intl.com/index.html
check out the gallery link.
if nothing else, inspiration.
hope any of this is useful or helpful.
Can't wait to see what you design!
Post InfoPosted 11-Dec-2007 01:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
In case you need refreshing, here are several sites
that deal with DIY Backgrounds, choose the one you like
of mix-n-match.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_aquarium_background.php

http://www.thecichlidgallery.com/article_styrobackground.htm

http://www.aquariumlife.net/projects/diy-decoration/7.asp I think this one is neat!

Hope this helps...
Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 11-Dec-2007 01:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cappa
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 14
Votes: 1
male australia
Thanks for the help and links. There are some good ideas out there. As soon as I get the internal dimensions I'll start on it and then let it cycle with the tank just to make sure it doesn't give off any toxins. The one I made before looks more like painted polystyrene than anything else. I'll give it a go. Thanks
Post InfoPosted 11-Dec-2007 12:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FishKeeperJim
----------
Big Fish
Member MTS Anonymous
Kudos: 208
Votes: 186
male usa
Never undermestimate a good drybrushing for bringing out the details. Load the paint on the brush then use a paper towel andtake most of the paint off, then with what is left go over the rocks, lightly keep going and soon you will have great looking rocks.

mts.gif" border="0"> I vote do you?
My Tanks at Photobucket
Post InfoPosted 23-Dec-2007 17:49Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Along with the idea of drybrushing is the idea of Ragging. Basically you just bunch up a rag, use something stiff, dip it in the paint then blot it onto the wall leaving a pattern. Rebunch and repeat.

Will be interesting to see how this turns out .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 23-Dec-2007 23:03Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies