Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAddin sand
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 56
Votes: 1
male usa
Well I got my sand for my 55gal cichlid tank and was wondering what the best way to rinse it is? Also If I need to pour sand over the eggcrate and rocks, or put the sand over eggcrate then add rock.
Thanks
Post InfoPosted 27-Dec-2008 22:06Profile PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Best way to rinse it is to put some in a bucket, take it outside, and hose it down until it washes clear. If it feels anything like it does around here you probably won't want to do that, but you still want to rinse the sand through water until the water is more or less clear.

You should put the eggcrate and rocks down first. You don't want the rock sitting on top of just sand, and then having the fish dig down underneath the sand.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2008 00:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
Instead of a hose, you can use the faucet in your bathtub too.

><>
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2008 02:41Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
When you are adding substrate especially sand it should be sieved first to remove all the fines (for sand use a kitchen strainer) then wash and keep washing until all the dirt and fines are washed out. I would put the egg crate and rocks first for the reason Shinigami mentioned

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2008 03:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies