Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeDw
sora
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 96
Votes: 134
male usa
hey guys i just got anew 55 and im trying to figure out what todo with it.i was thinking about putting a large peice of drift wood in it and attaching some plants to it.just curious as to what kind of plants you guys think look good on driftwood. im sorry its probably a silly question but id just like some opinions

The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we dont know what to do.
Post InfoPosted 10-Dec-2007 06:32Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
clownloachfan
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 850
Votes: 115
male usa us-pennsylvania
what is the lighting like? If the lighting is low, i would suggest Bolbitus Huedelotti, any anubias sp., java ferns and moss.
Post InfoPosted 10-Dec-2007 06:47Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
sora
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
umm no idea yet.the tanks my christmas present and im banned fromfiddling with it till then.the only reason i know about it is because its tobig to carry in without my help. all i know is it comes with a hood, lights, heater,filter that kind of stuff. ill try and check the box later but itstolate togo sneaking about now
thanks for the suggestion!

The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we dont know what to do.
Post InfoPosted 10-Dec-2007 06:50Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
If it's the standard light (no one spent a few extra hundred on special lights) then it's going to be low light plants. Look towards java fern, anubias, and java moss. Not only do they all do good on driftwood (meaning you don't need a special substrate) but they're also all low light plants.

A striking piece of driftwood with some rocks and a few plants can be an effective aquascape with just a little thought.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 10-Dec-2007 08:57Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
sora
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
thanks babel. ill take a look as soon as i can. id love it to be low light! im thinking java fern and anubias for sure. what do you mean by special substrate? like a nutrient rich one?

Post InfoPosted 11-Dec-2007 06:16Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
clownloachfan
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 850
Votes: 115
male usa us-pennsylvania
Special substrate as in ones such as flourite or eco complete or any thers for the planted aquarium. They have nutrients in them for plants that are heavy root feeders. Since you will be growing the plants on the driftwood, they dont need a good substrate, the waste from your fish in a low light setup is sufficient to provide excellent growth.
Post InfoPosted 11-Dec-2007 06:24Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
http://fishprofiles.com/files/threads/35690.1.htm?46#

This is a link to when I altered my 5ft tank and the difference Anubias can do. 99% of mine was tied to either old or new DW using 15lb fishing line.

I hope this helps you a little bit.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 11-Dec-2007 08:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sora
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
thanks keithgh! i remember reading it when you posted it! part ofthe reason im planting my tank this time around!!!!!!!!!!

Post InfoPosted 12-Dec-2007 04:19Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies