keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
EditedEdited by keithgh
On the way back from the eye Dr naturally if you pass a LFS you must stop, go in and have a good look around.
I asked the assistant any good large pieces of DW not a problem some over 1Mt in length another was even bigger it was a bowed hollow log but open most of the way. He showed me a good piece and we fitted it into a tank to see how it looked V good then he went back into the shop and came out with this one (see photos) same price Aust $80. it was perfect and fitted into the tank no problem at all. It is about 40mm high & 300 wide & full of hollows perfect for the CLs

The wife Marg kept saying do you want it what a silly question. I knocked $10 off and I bought a few Ottos as well. They also do free water testing I had some water I was going to get tested at another LFS on the way home but they are now charging $5 for a basic test even to regular customers. I wish the other shop was a lot closer to home about 1&1/4 hrs good drive.

The first photo is the DW laying down the LH end will be placed at the back RH end of the tank and a small rock will be placed under the front thin end to give more height to make a cave.

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 19-Feb-2008 03:02Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
1st Photo

Keith

Attached Image:

Drift wood new caves for Clown Loaches 2-08

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 19-Feb-2008 03:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Photo No 2

This is the underneath which will be the roof of the cave. Notice all the smaller hollows.

Keith

Attached Image:

Underneath of Drift wood to form Cave

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 19-Feb-2008 03:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Twilight
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 76
Votes: 92
female canada
Good find! Will you boil or bake it before you put it into the tank? I would imagine that, either way, it would take some time, and perhaps an outdoor cooking venue. Still, I'm the sort who'd find some way to do it. Despite the initial fuss and cost though, I do love a good piece of driftwood! I can't wait to see it in situ.

I vote! Do you?
Post InfoPosted 19-Feb-2008 09:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Neither it will be soaking it for at least 5 weeks not ready to do a pull down yet.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 19-Feb-2008 10:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa
Nice looking driftwood! But another make-over already!?
Post InfoPosted 20-Feb-2008 18:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Fish Patty

Yes but this time I had no option remember the tank had to be replaced. When I reset it up I was very sick and all I could do was just set up one cave and put all the plants and DW back. Actually about 30 minutes or less after resetting it up I passed out.
The DW will be soaking for at least five more weeks.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 21-Feb-2008 01:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa
No......I missed that post! I just reviewed your posts & found the one where it cracked. How odd, it happened right in front of you! Well congrats on the new tank! Hope you have fun with it.
Post InfoPosted 22-Feb-2008 15:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
stealth114
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 24
Votes: 1
male trinidad-tobago
Got a great piece of drift wood near a mangrove coast. It was just the perfect piece. N oone buys drift wood in the Caribbean! .. Had it soaked for 2 months.. free of tannins etc.... I just wish It will sink! I need to drill a wide hollow in the middle so it can sink down...

Hobbyists
Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2008 19:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
djrichie
----------
Big Fish
Rough but Honest [img]htt
Kudos: 309
Votes: 45
male usa
if you don't want to disturb the natural look of the wood. try and attach a large tile or a flat peace of slate to the bottom used stainless steal screws. You will need a cement drill bit, the screws and a good eletric drill. tkae you time drilling through the stone. then attach it to the wood.

Djrichie
"So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish" Douglas Adams
Post InfoPosted 05-Mar-2008 15:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
stealth114
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 24
Votes: 1
male trinidad-tobago
Thats an awesome suggestion.. thanks!

I was actually thinking of using a wide bore drill and drilling a central hole in the drift wood so it will get filled with water and able to sink.

Hobbyists
Post InfoPosted 10-Mar-2008 19:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies