Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeFloating Driftwood
amackattack
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 84
Votes: 0
male usa
Just purchased a piece of DW from my LFS. Not sure of the type, but it is redish in color and I have seen it in many fish tanks. Anyway, when I put it in my tank, unlike the last piece I bought, it did not sink, it went straight to the surface and floated.

I stuck it in a bucket of water where it has been for a week now. I just tried putting it back in the tank today, and no change, although it felt heavier.

Any advice to speed this process up or is it just a matter of "hurry up and wait"?

Thanks,

amackattack
Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2010 07:03Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Some people boil the driftwood. This forces the air out and the water in. I've never tried this before, though, and it requires a sizeable pot if the wood isn't a small piece.

You could also try putting a rock on it, if possible, to make it sink.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2010 07:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
amackattack
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
I can not boil it. It is sticking out of a 5 gal bucket right now.

I tried a rock for about 30 seconds, then got scared it might fall with unmentionable concequences. Any way you know to stabilize it with a rock on it?

Thanks,

amackattack
Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2010 07:21Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
lowlight
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 94
male usa us-california
Just be patient and it will eventually sink.
Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2010 07:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
amackattack
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
I figured that, but was hoping for a magic bullet. Oh well, wait it is.

Thanks
Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2010 08:19Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
With out seeing the DW in the bucket it is a bit hard to tell you what to do.

Can you get a bigger bucket. Tying it down put the brick underneath the DW and pull it down rather than trying to sink it.

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2010 08:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Can you strap it to the rock, put the rock on the bottom so it cannot fall? Sometimes I've seen it screwed to pieces of slate, but I expect cable ties and a rock would work just as well. To make sure it is secure though, a floaty bit of wood under pressure could well break your lids if it came free.

I usually soak driftwood in the bath, periodically changing the water. It takes longer the harder the wood is.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2010 14:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
I've used other pieces of driftwood in combo with rocks to kinda wedge new pieces below the waterline, then work out the scape once the wood is no longer floating. Sometimes you end up getting a good layout from starting with what sometimes looks like just a jumbled mass!

Fishing line can also work to help tie it, just be sure to trim up the ends where you tie so no one gets their eye poked!

Since it already feels heavier it sounds promising that you'll get it sunk soon .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2010 21:57Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
amackattack
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Think I am going to try tying it to a rock (I like the slate idea) to keep it down. Until then, it is still soaking up some more water.

thanks,

amackattack
Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2010 08:41Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
if you can find a large enough pot (ask neighbors or check thrift/goodwill stores) i alwasy boil my DW because (A) it kills all the nasties that could be on the wood (even if it was at a LFS you still dont know what dirty hands touched it!)... it also leeches out alot of the tannins and helps it to sink....

on top of that if you have any critters that will be grazing on the wood it gives a nice soft little layer for plecos, shrimp, and etc to pick what they want without having to wait for it to be soft (which can be MONTHS).

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 04-Feb-2010 00:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies