keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
EditedEdited by keithgh
Today I went looking at the local Garden Landscaper where they have rocks by the ton and the odd rock cost only a thank you.

I went looking for a particular shape and colour I found this one in about 3 min.

As you can see why I wanted all those details in one rock it is to blend in not stand out.

I always try to have the natural looking tank and this little rock just put the finish touch.

Still waiting for about 20 C Nevilli

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Attached Image:

A special little rock 8-08

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 15-Aug-2008 11:35Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
This tank photo show what I finally hope to acheive. You also have to think what it will look like when the rock is softened up with more C nevilli plus a bit of age and a natural algae.
Also note the Cardinals they prefer that side of the tank the new younger one will go over to the other side.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my

Keith

Attached Image:

45lt Cardinal tank photo 8-08

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 15-Aug-2008 12:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 196
australia au-northernterritory
Keith,

That lone rock, while I'm sure its a nice rock, looks out of place on its own out there and once the remaining plants arrive and everything grows in I think that it will get lost which kind of defeats the point of having feature rocks IMO. I'm just not all that convinced at the moment.

If it were me I would have chosen either a larger / taller rock and used it as a main feature with all the plants growing in around it, or a bunch of similar coloured rocks of various sizes and used them throughout the tank either individually, or in small strategically placed groupings, to carry a theme across the whole tank.

Just my 2 cents... it's your tank, do what makes you happy!

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 16-Aug-2008 06:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
EditedEdited by keithgh
GT as I said in Chat thank you for the constructive criticism it all helps.

I am in a catch 22 spot here. A large rock looks out of place too close to the front.
Yet the rock must be heavy enough to hold DW down it is extremely light (fixing to a slate out of the question base shape and amount of wood)
I will have another hunt to see if I can find three very small ones same colour. There is a small round hollow for the rock to sit in.

Since that photo I have mounded up the substrate about 1ins in front and the RH side.

Finally I still have a few options that might work but can not tell until I have a hunt again for more small rocks.

Also the C nevilli should soften it up when I plant them in front and Rh side. Besides I am not looking for a wham bam fixed point just a flow from the tall pile of A nana on the LH side.

I am also thinking of fixing some of that A Nana to the DW.

Any constructive criticisms would be appreciated

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 16-Aug-2008 06:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
rjmcbean
----------
Hobbyist
Like a Farmer
Kudos: 75
Votes: 415
female usa
EditedEdited by rjmcbean
I Think that rock, at the angle in the first picture, looks almost like a whale head. If you get a couple of more (maybe smaller) rocks of similar color, not so defined as your current rock, it will really be a nice touch with the plants.

Kudos on the find!!

edited for a spelling error

"it's the neck, it creaks under the weight of too much heavy thinking."
Post InfoPosted 20-Aug-2008 23:33Profile AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
As I said earlier I have repositioned the rock, also you are now looking at a different face.
I have not found any small stones yet raining every day (we need it any way) it is practically a gum boots area I have to walk through to get to these stones.

When the C Nevilli arrive it will certainly soften the strong features of the rock also I am hoping it will age a bit but no sign yet.

Thank you for the comments they are appreciated

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 21-Aug-2008 03:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
I managed to get a few small stones today I practically drove the car into the big holding area to keep away from the mud.
The rocks might look central but they are not.
The first photo is an over view of the general area, I have also moved the Anubias a little.
It sounds sill but I am still not happy with one rock 'center top and just below main rock" I am going to try to plant the very small C Parva in between the rocks if that does not work out then the C Nevilli will grow there.
The second photo is a close up of the rocks and I am hoping they will age quickly.

I am still looking for criticisms no mater how big or small it all helps.

Look here for my

Keith

Attached Image:

Over view Cardinal tank 8-08

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 22-Aug-2008 09:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Close up of rocks.

Look here for my

Keith

Attached Image:

Close up of rocks Cardinal tank 8-08

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 22-Aug-2008 09:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 23-Aug-2008 10:32
This post has been deleted
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
EditedEdited by keithgh
I removed that particular stone with the white flash through it. Since that photo I have found av few more parva and planted them as well.
They are now getting more light and this should help them to grow.

I replaced it with a smaller light coloured rock. In the gaps between the rocks I have planted the C Parva possibly the smallest Crypt.

It is amazing when it looks OK in the tank but when you take a few photos you can see faults every where.

How about some criticisms please.

Look here for my

Keith

Attached Image:

Crypt parva between rocks 8-08

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 23-Aug-2008 10:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies