Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeGrave Washing
skyeye
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 18
Votes: 1
male usa
hey i was just setting up my old 10 gllon, and i relized the gravel was dirty. so i thought about how to solve this problem with the least amount of physical labor (ya im lazy. sue me) any way i thought bout a 1 gallon pickle jar we had recently cleaned and was empty in my room.
so i relized that u fill the pickle jar up half way with gravel or anything u want to wash, fill it up 3/4 of the way with hot wtaer and put the lid on. then lay it on its side and roll it back and forth. you could just shake it but i got a relly bad back so i rolled it relly hard.
i actully broke a sweat any way this is a very effective way to clean new or used gravel.
Post InfoPosted 03-Nov-2007 06:03Profile PM Edit Report 
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 187
Votes: 110
female australia au-queensland
Just checking; so it really is gravel washing, not grave washing as the heading said. You really had me there as I couldn't for the life of me figure out why you would want to wash a grave to put in a fish tank.

To wash my gravel, I have kept an old metal crisper from a long since discarded fridge. I can turn the gravel over with my hands and keep pouring the dirty water out until its clean.
Post InfoPosted 03-Nov-2007 06:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Any new gravel I have bought I just rinsed it in a bucket with running water on the lawn as not to waste the water. Never had a problem doing it that way.
Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 03-Nov-2007 07:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
I agree with Keith. I only rinse it in a bucket & then use it to water the plants. It's really simple & even a lazy bloke can do it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 03-Nov-2007 14:37Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
skyeye
-----
Fingerling
male usa
EditedEdited by skyeye
ya, i used to do it that way but i broke my back a few years ago, and now even the effort of takeing a bucket kills my back. so now im gonna do it this way. and it truely doesnt waste much water at all. maybe 4 cups per run.
Post InfoPosted 03-Nov-2007 14:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 187
Votes: 110
female australia au-queensland
Well if you have a really crook back, kudos to you for figuring a way to get around your problem.
Post InfoPosted 03-Nov-2007 15:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
skyeye
-----
Fingerling
male usa
ty dude. now i need to get one of those vacums that also put water BACK into the tank cause lugging waters is almost as bad as lugging gravel.
Post InfoPosted 03-Nov-2007 18:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies